Macross Frontier Episode 18 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 18  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (No Sheryl! Don't listen to Grace!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (My love of this series ran out long before Frontier ran out of supplies)

Welcome to the Macross Frontier Episode 18 Talkback Thread

Previous Episode threads:

Episode 12: "Fastest Delivery"

Episode 13: "Memory of Global"

Episode 14: "Mother's Lullaby"

Episode 15: "Lost Peace"

Episode 16: "Ranka Attack"

Episode 17: "Goodbye Sister"

Guidelines:

• Macross Frontier episode file requests, file offers or any audio/video sharing links of any kind or format are not permitted anywhere on the forum beyond this post. This includes, but is not limited to BitTorrent files/links, YouTube, Nico, Veoh.com or related video-sharing or video streaming site links, Rapidshare/Megaupload/etc. links, full audio soundtracks, etc.. We will provide download locations for you. Any user-post in violation of this rule will be deleted without notice. Repeated offenses may result in a ban. DISCUSSION ONLY. Send a PM to a mod if you have a file sharing link that is not listed and it will be added within 24 hours or send Boinger a PM with a link to the file to be added to iMacross.
  • This thread only covers the episode listed in the subject. Do not post comments about another episode not covered by this thread. (i.e. References are OK, but do not post a critique about episode 1 when this thread covers episode 999).
  • This thread(s) is about current episodes only. Please reserve mecha talk to the Mecha Thread and news for the News Thread. Do not cross-post.
  • Please reserve all talk about future episode spoilers (i.e. rumors or magazine scans of future episodes) for the News thread. Previews for the next week's episode are excluded from this rule.
  • Do not ask when an episode will be aired or released (this includes fansubs).
  • Please use spoiler tags for the first 12-hours after an episode airs.
  • For summaries and screenshots, please check out Random Curiosity's Anime Blog (Please remember, no image linking from that blog. Text links only.) :)

Availability

• Raw: 480x270 WMV (EWWWWWWWWWWWWW),960x540 DivX Q3 AVI, 1280x720 DivX683 Rev2 AVI (be sure it's ver. 2), 704x396 DivX6.​8.​3 AVI, 1440x1080 x264-AAC MP4, 1280x720 MP4 (TBS broadcast)
  • Subtitled:

• Chinese: [jumpcn] 840x480 RMVB
    • English: [gg] MKV + ASS subtitle script (+ modified 1440x1080 h264 aac MKV), [Lunar] MKV + AVI
    • Spanish: [WZF]840x480 MP4

Episode download links

General sites (Raws and subtitled, but mostly Raws)

Subtitled versions

Other

Thread and poll opens at Thursday (8/7), 12:25PM EST/9:25AM PST (25:25 JST)

Grace, Mao and ranka's mom worked together

:o , battle 25 bridge :o,

Did Michel tell Sheryl of the poison or not?

-alto's borther saving sheryl

-boby and bridge bunnies at cloth sales fighting ^^

-Vajra are back to destroying entire warships >D

-Quater's main cannon is ineffective

-Battle frontier main cannon!!

-Weird creature at the end :S

next Epi: Alto is at his own place with Sheryl, those pervy two ......

Edited by whispo

Wonder what the wierd creature at the end was ... was that Ai-kun evolving into his lobster form? And why oh why did that anoying brother have to rescue sheryll -.-, seems like all anoying people scored this epi:

-Alto's brother saves Sheryll

-Brera saves Alto

-Ranka wins from Sheryl

- Grace owns everyone by just living

Edited by whispo

Some nice eye candy in this episode. Plot didn't seem to move as far as I'd hoped (mainly seemed like a battle episode, with some exposition on Sheryl's arc in the first part), but the next couple episodes look like they'll move things along a bit more. Particularly intrigued by the bit where Alto's brother makes off with Sheryl; talk about leverage!

That bit where Sheryl's albums were already being marked down 50% seemed particularly poignant. How fleeting celebrity is for galactic idols...

As a whole, I don't think this episode was as much pure win as the last one, but still left an overall positive impression. Looking forward to the sub.

Finally saw one live.

Hmmm, this one seems to actually advance the plot quite a bit in terms of characters:

If I'm not mistaken, Grace is just some random orphan nobody that Grace and company picked out. Then they moded her somehow, not clear that the pill is poison. May be its something to sustain her. The insertion of oni-san is interesting, but unless Cheryl bites the dust, Alto will likely end up with her.

In terms of the show, I'm glad that they were able to

reuse more of the old footage with VF-17I being blasted. But that is compensated for with Battle Frontier.

Finally, one thing that's bugging me, have they explained why

Ranka is not closeted in the most protected part of Frontier during the fight? Why the hell is she out on the Koeing? Does her singing have a range? If so, may be they can shove fold crystals with the Valks, and have her sing next to a large crystal, and then they are like remote speakers or something

Anyway, decent ep

Holy Deculture!

From the first half of the episode, I was expecting an all character episode. It was also refreshing to have the serious focus on the some of the minor characters. The plot thickness with Alto, Sheryl, and Alto's dad (dirty trick taking Sheryl to dad's place. Though, from the preview, it looks like it's leading into more emphasis of Japanese culture in the following episode.)

The second half of the episode felt like I had switched channels. The change was that extreme. Wham! Yes ma'am, the Battle Frontier is prepped just in time with it's 36 (I think that was the number) PPBs. Bham! Here come the Vajra.

Then, talk about unexpected (though the preview kinda got the expectations going, what with the Battle Frontier (25) appearing behind the Macross Quarter) the Battle Frontier is activated, and big fireworks go off.

I noticed the recycled animation, but honestly, it didn't bother me. What with different effects (VF-171's recycled reaction missile launching. New animation of missiles bouncing off of red Vajra before exploding. Or the one that got me smiling: horizontally flipped shot of the Cruiser blowing up from episode one!

Styling. 2 thumbs up. Can't wait to see the Battle Frontier transform in an upcoming episode.

Oh... from a character/story standpoint, it is really interesting, neat, and quite smart to show the fallen idol singer aspect of the business. Of course, Sheryl getting death threats from her former manager is kind of waaaaaaaaay over the top. Nevertheless, in all the Macross series so far, we've only seen (young) stars on their way to the top. Hopefully the series will explore the way down from the top a bit more other than this brief taste.

Nope, Battle 7 never did that, definately hot!

So many awesome things in this episode, Mao, Battle 25, super not new intro, Grace gets even bitchier....

I'm convinced now more than ever, even if Sheryl dies, which she'd better not, Alto will choose her. It'd just be too tweaked for anything to happen otherwise. Still don't like Battle Aimo, but I'd love a Monster Girl shirt/wallpaper/anything high quality image.

Anyone catch the explanation for the 639 witchcraft? Does it inhibit something they did to Sheryl, or inhibit her from turning into one of those crazy monster htings? I'm pretty sure it was implied that its something she actually needs.

Grace cyborg or no not aging a bit in 11 years is freaky, old Mao is still cute, and was it comfirmed that Ranka's mother was her daughter?

Someone on MW needs to get super ritch, buy HG, sell them to Bandai Visual, and import all of Macross for win. This episode just prooves more than ever why this whole situation is a damn shame.

No offense Az, but where are you getting these screencaps from? :blink: They look rather..... crappy ^_^ and just random. Are you making them or are you getting them from somewhere else? :) Not that I don't appreciate you showing them to us. :D

Edited by MisaForever

No offense Az, but where are you getting these screencaps from? :blink: They look rather..... crappy ^_^ and just random. Are you making them or are you getting them from somewhere else? :) Not that I don't appreciate you showing them to us. :D

From the 2ch thread. I can't help it if the cappers there are crappy.

Horrible Raws

No really that's what they call themselves.

I'm late today but, as for

Battle 25, I only caught the end of it. The fact that they were folding out of the area immediately after clearing a hole out of some Vajra kinda bypasses the need to separate and transform to fire the gun when just firing the damn thing would do the trick

Managed to watch this ep live, glad I found a link to this site and the Live stream discussion page.

What I'd give for a mp3 of the TV version of Lion right now!

Hoping I can find one before I'm away for 3 days for Otakon

This episode

just confirms that unless Sheryl bites the dust, she will end up with Alto. I think it is possible to be even further down and out. Unless Grace took Sheryl's money too.

The battle scenes were pretty good over all but

but it was disappointing to see Quarter not being very effective. From the image looks like the Frontier fleet is rather large. I was hoping to see some other ships though. But B25 made up for it. Hopefully we'll see a ship seperation soon

I'm late today but, as for

Battle 25, I only caught the end of it. The fact that they were folding out of the area immediately after clearing a hole out of some Vajra kinda bypasses the need to separate and transform to fire the gun when just firing the damn thing would do the trick

Nod, nod.

Also, the gun opening up and deploying brought shivers down my spine. Seeing it on the big screen probably added to that electrifying effect. I was a bit surprised when it just fired without transforming. Though, I remember being a bit puzzled about the actions of the red Vajra that was chasing Aruto.

In retrospect, I think that red Vajra new it was going to die (or was told by the "Queen") and decided to gather intel on the enemy. In other words, don't be surprised if the Vajra develop a SPF 3,000 sun block and are able to withstand a main gun attack.

Edited by sketchley