GUNDAM DVD - MOVIE or SERIES?

CID

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!!! Based on the recomendation, I guess I will go with the Movie 123 set. Now, let see what all this Gundam hype is all about.... :lol::lol:

I finally took a day of from my work and used portions of this time to finish watching Southern Cross. This took me nearly three months to finish. :lol::lol:

Since, I have finiahed watching Macross/RObotech related DVDs in both English and Japanese version, I am trying to expand into few other series. Starting with Gundam.

Here is the questions. I would like to watch Gundam, starting with their first release: Gundam Mobile Suit (I found out that this is the first series of Gundam).

However, I also saw that there are Gundam Mobile Suit movie 1, 2, 3?????

Which should be watched first? Is there a complete GMS series made into a set or do I need to buy individual DVD? How many DVDs make up the GMS? Basically, I do not have any clue as to what Gundam is, other than that I like Zaku models and few of their Gundams. More info someone provides, the better. I have no clue as what need to be purchased (Similar to that joker on Conan show). I try to find info on web and Ebay, but, it was not too helpful.

Edited by CID

It's not Gundam Mobile Suit. It's Mobile SUIT Gundam. MSG.

The original series, set in UC 0079, is the TV series. The Gundam Movies I, II, III are compilations of the series, with lots of new animation. For example, the Guntank from the TV series was not seen in space, and the G-Armor was replaced with Core Boosters.

I think the Gundam Movies would be a quick and convenient way to start watching Gundam, though you get more development with the series.

I recommend the movies.

And that's just for the 1979 animation.

There are plenty of other series and movies as well. If you're just looking for something short and sweet, pick up the Gundam 08th MS Team, Gundam 0080: War in a Pocket, and Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories OAV's. Keep in mind, though, that unless you have seen the previous animations, the new ones won't make sense as they will jump right into the story without doing much explanation at all.

Want a stand-alone series? Check out Gundam SEED. It has nothing to do with the established canonical Gundam UC, so you won't be left in the dark.

Edited by Stamen0083

It depends on whether you want to buy legit releases only or not. If you are only looking at R1 DVDs then your options are very limited:

Mobile Suit Gundam TV series: multiple DVDs, not boxed, ENGLISH DUB ONLY. They have also re-recorded the soundtrack and replaced a lot of the show's trademark sound F/X with new ones that do not sound better nor make any sense (beam rifle now sounding like a shell-firing gun, etc.). To add insult to injury, the series is not complete, as one of the episodes were removed. If you want the full TV series experience in its original state instead of the "Special Edition", either pick up the Japanese LD boxes or the HK boot.

Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy: available as a boxset, this is a special edition featuring re-recorded soundtrack and has both sub and dub. A good way to get introduced to the series without sinking a considerable amount of cash.

The 08th MS Team: available on multiple discs, there is also a movie made from footage of this OVA series (plus new animation) called Miller's Report. This is the newest Gundam OVA production set in the UC universe so animation quality is fairly good, although I am not a fan of the hokey love story.

Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket: OVA on 2 DVDs, this story takes place at the end of the One Year War and is told through the point of view of a civilian kid and a Zaku grunt pilot. Emotionally manipulative tearjerker/soap opera.

Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory: OVA on 4 DVDs, featuring Gundams designed by Shoji Kawamori. Good animation, great action, good music, you can't go wrong with it. A compilation movie called "Last Blitz of Zeon" (aka Zeon's Fading Light) was released in Japan on LD and VHS but was never released on R1 or R2 DVD. It is basically a promo for the final episode's release on home video, so there's no point in collecting this movie unless you're an otaku that must have all things Gundam.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: TV series to be released late this year as a DVD box. The cast from MSG returns as a support cast to a new generation of heroes and baddies. Compilation movies with new footage is in production in Japan, but no word on the movies' US release yet.

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ: TV series that picks up right where Zeta left off. First half of the series was lighthearted as it was directed by someone else than the regular director, who at the time was busy with the production of the Char's Counterattack feature film. When he returned to direct the second half of the series, it turned to the traditional "kill'em all" show. NOT AVAILABLE ON R1 DVD.

Char's Counterattack: theatrical feature film that ends the Amuro vs. Char rivalry started in MSG.

Gundam F91: a new era starts with a new slate of characters. This feature film did not do as well as expected, and a proposed series based on F91 was never produced. R1 DVD is supposed to come out this year but it's been a vaporware for years.

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam: the final "classical UC" Gundam TV show. Another slate of new characters with new MS and new technology. Show didn't do that well, which prompted Sunrise to go to other directors and start exploiting the Gundam name, which resulted in G, Wing, X, and Seed, which have little to do with the UC shows cited here. V Gundam is unavailable on R1 DVD.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam: imagine Dragonball meets Street Fighter and throw in a bunch of crazy looking Gundams and this is what you have.

Gundam Wing: you probably have seen it on CN but if you haven't, pretty boys + sentai format + overpowered Gundams + annoying preachy chick = Wing. This TV series (available on R1 DVD only as a box now) yielded a 3-episode OVA series which was also released as a movie (Endless Waltz). The R1 DVD of EW contains both versions.

Gundam X: a TV series that tries to pay tribute to the original series and be a happier sequel than Zeta is, got canned prematurely due to lousy ratings. No R1 and R2 DVD releases yet. Either get the LD, VHS, or HK boot if you want to see it.

Turn-A Gundam: directed by the original director, this show takes places thousands of years after all the previous series to distance itself from all previous shows. It's mostly about racism and features surprisingly low body count given the director's reputation. 2 compilation movies were released as well, none of which are available on R1 DVD.

Gundam Seed: a show designed to be a merchandising machine to sell model kits, toys, and soundtrack CDs. Very popular online due to the easy access to fansubs of this show. Coming out on R1 DVD individually.

You will see some HK boot Gundam DVDs not listed here. Stay away from them. They are usually rips of promotional (e.g. free) videos or video game footages never meant to be seen outside of the game's context. There is also the live action movie G-Saviour, which is not really Gundam although it is available on R1 DVD. The movie is not even worth the plastic it comes on. Stay away from it and you will live a longer and happier life.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

To add insult to injury, the series is not complete, as one of the episodes were removed.

Although to be fair, JR, I don't think that episode is going to appear on any legit Japanese DVDs if they ever come out, since Tomino himself requested the episode be removed due to the fact that he just plain didn't like it.

Also, I'll bet that when or if a Japanese release happens, Bandai will release a subbed DVD release here. Since there was a fair chomping at the bit to bring MSG here after Wing's success, Bandai Nippon forced Bandai USA to not use the Japanese soundtrack to make it less attractive for re-importation.

Edited by Pat Payne

It depends on whether you want to buy legit releases only or not.  If you are only looking at R1 DVDs then your options are very limited: ..........

Nice write-up, Jolly. Just finished my 0080 re-watch and this makes me want to check my other sets.

I think it should also be noted that there are multiple versions of some HK boots that feature different quality subs/animation.

(Found this out the hard way when I was getting them as they were released and then ended up sending some back for different verisions because the subs stunk!)

There is also the live action movie G-Saviour, which is not really Gundam although it is available on R1 DVD.  The movie is not even worth the plastic it comes on.  Stay away from it and you will live a longer and happier life.

:lol: Too true! :lol:

To add insult to injury, the series is not complete, as one of the episodes were removed.

Although to be fair, JR, I don't think that episode is going to appear on any legit Japanese DVDs if they ever come out, since Tomino himself requested the episode be removed due to the fact that he just plain didn't like it.

According to Bandai America. I have yet to hear these words from the man himself. If he hated the episode so much, why is it never removed from the show's syndication on Japanese TV?

Also, I'll bet that when or if a Japanese release happens, Bandai will release a subbed DVD release here. Since there was a fair chomping at the bit to bring MSG here after Wing's success, Bandai Nippon forced Bandai USA to not use the Japanese soundtrack to make it less attractive for re-importation.

All the more reason not to buy the current dub-only R1 DVD. Re-importation is an excuse they use which sounds OK on paper but when one sees these HK boot DVDs are openly sold on Yahoo Japan auctions, that excuse falls like a house of cards.