Gaming Video Card

ogami

I am thinking to buy a "Next Gen Gaming"video card (I am still using a Geforce 3 TI) before summer. However, when I am doing reseach on video cards today, I find the prices of video cards are "somewhat" expensive.

(all prices are in Canadian dollars and they are OEM)

New MSI Geforce FX5700 128MB is 210, 256MB is 254.

FX5950 256MB is 550. (!?!?) <- this is what i want

ATI 9600XT 256MB is 245, 9800XT 256MB is 638. (?!?!)

XBOX is 199...

And the brand new "God-like" Geforce 6800 ultra is 499US...

What is going on here? A good video card is more expensive than a XBOX...

Should I invest a 500 dollars vidoe card? or just buy a XBOX instead?

Since we're on the topic of PC Gaming....I've heard that Half-Life 2 has gone the way of Duke Nukem Forever.

...meaning that'll be released when hell freezes over. :lol:

HL2 is like a fairy tale... we can only see the pictures of it.

This is what I read: (but I am sure that we will know the release date @ E3)

----------------------------------

"In an interview with gaming magazine Polygon, Gabe Newell of Valve indicated that Half Life 2 might not make its 2004 release date.

Newell had the following to say:

"We've already spent millions into this project, and we're willing to spend as much as we need to make this the best first person experience ever. If that means delaying the game to 2005, we'll do it without any hesitation. If it means sinking another $20 million into the project, we can do it. Rest assured, if we delay the game, it'll be only to blow your socks off even more when it finally releases."

I love PC gaming far more than console gaming. You can get a fair video card for under 200 bucks, and from places like New Egg, even lower unless everything HAS to be 1024+ with maximum antialiasing. My PC cost about 1000 bucks and it can handle almost everything at an excellent graphics level. Not maxed out, but at a very high level. See, only idiots or very very wealthy people buy the latest videocards. The smart gamer waits a year or 2 and gets them then, or a good mid range card.

I love PC gaming far more than console gaming. You can get a fair video card for under 200 bucks, and from places like New Egg, even lower unless everything HAS to be 1024+ with maximum antialiasing. My PC cost about 1000 bucks and it can handle almost everything at an excellent graphics level. Not maxed out, but at a very high level. See, only idiots or very very wealthy people buy the latest videocards. The smart gamer waits a year or 2 and gets them then, or a good mid range card.

Yeah. What he said.