Evangelion Manga Vol. 8 breakdown

Anubis

First, I have to announce, courtesy of Animeondvd, that it appears the Renewal discs of Eva are making their way here.

Excerpt from the Diamond July Previews

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION RENEWAL VOL 1 DVD (MR)SRP: $34.98

Needless to say I am thrilled about this. Although it does mean I'm paying for Eva a 4th time. (VHS, the DVD Box Set, the 2 Director's Cut Discs, and now the Renewal Discs). :(

Not that I'm complaining though, I would love to have the renewal set on my shelf.

Anyway, on to Vol. 8 of the manga:

The manga continues to kick ass, and then kick more ass after that. I love it.

Obviously this will have plenty of spoilers.

I was wondering how they were going to handle Shinji's being absorbed into Unit 1. Instead of floating by himself, they put him face to face with his mother submerged in an ocean. I can't get into every panel, but the process to remove him is pretty much the same, though an addition during the failed extraction is Rei, worried for Shinji, is on the sidelines watching and after the failure, reaches out to Shinji, and interrupts the image of Yui in front of Shinji revealing the actual unit 1 fugure, as she pleads to Unit 1 to release him. His mother's spirit come out of the figure then, and cuts to a scene with shinji on a beach watching Gendo, Yui, and his baby self sharing a moment under a tree. Yui then talks to him directly, and Shinji chooses to go back after hearing Misato and Ayanami calling him. Then out pops Shinji.

It is after this then that Kaji kidnaps Fuyutsuki and we go through the Selle interrogation and Birth of Nerv stuff. At the same time, Shinji and Rei meet in the hospital and talk, express they are glad to see each other, and then go to a courtyard where they hold hands. Through her introspection throughout the volume, it is obvious she is developing feelings for Shinji, and processing everything in her slow inexperienced way, but making some real headway.

Kaji's death at the end of that part clearly solves the issue of wether it was Misato or not, for those who were not sure. They show the gun that shoots him (a revolver with a sight attached) as well as a gloved hand so it is CLEARLY not Misato. End of that question. They show him lying on the floor dying, and his friends that were killed when he was young come to see him in his last moments.

The answering machine part is altered as well. Asuka is the one home, not Shinji, and when Misato breaks down, she immediately tries to get Misato to tell her what's wrong, but Misato won't tell her. Shinji arrives in the morning, and finds Asuka pissed. She knows it was something about Kaji, but not what. She asks Shinji, and he immediately guesses, but tells her how could he know he's been trapped in the eva for a month, and goes to his room, unable to hurt her by telling her the truth. Shinji knew he'd never see Kaji again.

There is a scene after this that reaffirms my general dislike of Ritsuko. Her cats just died, she's contemplative, and then sees Rei to give her a shot. She tells Rei she's changes, that she saw her and Shinji walking the other day, and that she was surprised, she thought Rei only had eyes for the commander, just a doll, yet she was impressed she wrapped both father and son around her finger. Rei tells her she's not a doll, it's true that she only liked the commander before, but isn't that the same for you. Ritsuko snaps, and wraps the cord you use on someones arm when you give them a shot around Rei's neck and throttles her, before catching herself, apologizing and saying it was a joke. She then tells Rei to watch her mouth, because she is the one who keeps her body alive. She relaizes she is becoming exactly like her mother. Judging from this I would guess this is not the first time Ritsuko had abused Rei in some form or another. Bitch.

The volume ends when Asuka gets her phone call from Germany, and then retires to her room after snapping at Shinji.

I am loving the manga version of Eva, for how much more they do with these characters. I like the idea of an actual relationship brewing this time, though it will surely become more complex later on. My guess is Asuka will see Shinji and Rei together again, snap, and either confront them or just him. Can't wait.

I like how they handled Shinji's absorbtion, and the expansion they've given Rei in this volume. Very recommended like the rest of the manga so far.

Now the downward spiral begins.

post-26-1082007504_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

I bought the U.S. Vol. 8.

We didn't get the figure. I didn't try for the Japanese one either.

The answering machine part is altered as well.  Asuka is the one home, not Shinji, and when Misato breaks down, she immediately tries to get Misato to tell her what's wrong, but Misato won't tell her.  Shinji arrives in the morning (where was he?), Asuka's pissed.  She knows it was something about Kaji, but not what.  She asks Shinji, and he immediately guesses, but tells her how could he know he's been trapped in the eva for a month, and goes to his room, unable to hurt her by telling her the truth.  Shinji knew he'd never see Kaji again.

I think Shinji at that moment was supposed to have been just released from the hospital. Have to check though.

The answering machine part is altered as well.  Asuka is the one home, not Shinji, and when Misato breaks down, she immediately tries to get Misato to tell her what's wrong, but Misato won't tell her.  Shinji arrives in the morning (where was he?), Asuka's pissed.  She knows it was something about Kaji, but not what.  She asks Shinji, and he immediately guesses, but tells her how could he know he's been trapped in the eva for a month, and goes to his room, unable to hurt her by telling her the truth.  Shinji knew he'd never see Kaji again.

I think Shinji at that moment was supposed to have been just released from the hospital. Have to check though.

Yeah, I guess so. He was still in his hospital garb when he and Rei went to the courtyard, so he hadn't been released yet.

Edited by Anubis

Is it VOL.8 of the manga (non US version of course) that comes with the Rei figure?

Anyone heard anymore information about that?

Its supposed to come with volume 9. Not sure about the US version though. Has the US versions ever came out with figures? Cause the Japanese version have about 3-4 figures out already.

Is it VOL.8 of the manga (non US version of course) that comes with the Rei figure?

Anyone heard anymore information about that?

Its supposed to come with volume 9. Not sure about the US version though. Has the US versions ever came out with figures? Cause the Japanese version have about 3-4 figures out already.

Th US versions don't come with anything, which is why I noted that I was referring to the NON-US version. ;)