Recast Project (pic intensive)

Myersjessee

Well...a while back in this thread

The Wonderfest Gurab kit came up. Coincidentally, just before this a very generous MacrossWorld member contacted me in regards to recasting another WF Mospeada kit. I am purposely not mentioning his/her name because I did not ask he/she if they wanted to be named...so for now I will just openly say thank you to him/her for helping out.

Update...I heard from neptunesurvey who did not mind me sharing his name. Thanks a TON!

Invid1.jpg

I have always been a big Mospeada fan, so I jumped at the oppertunity. As I was plodding my way. Grayson contacted me about the Gurab WF kit. discussed here.

LINK

m1.JPG

box image credit to Carl Hoff from another thread...Im just linking back

Double good fortune!!! Well...I got some time today to work on the projects and I was so happy with the results I wanted to share them. First off...for some reason I really love this shot...gives you pause to think how big these suckers were!

invidandc.jpg

Edited by Myersjessee

So...I got to work recasting these kits..thanks to Grayson and my other benefactor...I first noted how may pieces there were...they are small kits..but actually bigger then I expected. The first kit with the two (Ligia? ) has something over 30 pieces..the Gurab is close to that for just 1 figure....WOW! Anyways....I cast all the pieces. If I have any complaints about the originals its that the quality of the casts was not great. Seam lines were bad in areas..and similar to Valkryies Monster report some parts were obviousley from chewed up molds. I didn't think anything was to bad though, and I didn't want to touch the originals (change them...clean up) so I cast as is...here are the results.

The Ligia kit

Invidparts.jpg

and the Gurab kit

gurabparts1.jpg

Edited by Myersjessee

All in all I was extremely pleased..both with the castings and the kit...so today, layed up with a bad back I was able to cast up the firt couple batches of parts and then quickly built up some kits to test fit everything. First, let me be clear. I cleaned the parts for the pictures in about 20 minutes per kit. I built the kits in about 30 minutes per kit...I plan on going back and cleaning things up...and painting..but this was just a test fit...also...a few parts are alpha parts...and are prior to minor mold rework..the gurab for instance is missing a toe..that won't be the case on the final real versions...anyways...onto some pictures. Sorry...I just really liked these so I wanted to share.

invidbuilta.jpg

and

invidbuiltb.jpg

and

invidbuiltc.jpg

finally...for those who want to see more...some links to a couple more pictures of close up's of parts and other comparison shots.

Again..I just want to publically thank Grayson and my other benafactor...this has been a fun little project and they were fun to build up this afternoon...next week Ill get to painting. :)

Also...for those who will ask (or may) I will be making a few of these kits...some are already owed to the benefactors...there will most likely be a few extra. I don't make a lot of anything...cause thats the boring part...but if your interested in a kit drop me a PM and we can talk about it. I will try to make sure everyone who wants one has a chance to get one...

Comparison Shot with Hase 1/72

Another Compare

Gurab Parts

Gurab parts

Gurab Parts

Ligia parts

Ligia parts

Ligia parts

Edited by Myersjessee

Hi Jesse :)

The re-castings look excellent! No pin holes or other defects that I can see either; probably even better than the originals, now that they've been cleaned-up prior to the new molding.

Just for fun, did you end up casting the parts with the Smooth Cast 321?

It's like the psycic friends connection! Yep...321...quick and painless. Pressure tank for details, dry mold release to cut down on cleanup...Urethane molds

(and a lumbar support on my chair! )

;)

Where'd you get the supplies and the know how?

supplies came from:

Smooth-on

Polytek

Vagabond (though not displayed)

know how came from

A close family friend who does sculpting and recasting for a living

Lots of help from Captain America, MSLZ22, Valkyrie, Fulcy, and others too I am sure I am forgetting who offered advice and input

Lots of trial and error...costly and time consuming..but generally fun.

;)

Those are sweet little kits. I don't know much about recasting but it looks like they turned out really well.

Hmm....I didn't realize the inbit were so big. I don't suppose you have a Legioss to compare scale?

thanks for the positive comments everyone! Unfortunatly, I have not built a 1/72 scale Legioss yet, so I can't compare them to it...but I do know the Legioss is considerably smaller then the VF1, so I woudl guess in Battroid it would be not much taller (if at all ) then the Gurab....and the Ride armors would be tiny! (just imagine the size of a 1/72 scale pilot with a little extra mmmumph! )

:D

According to the Mospeada style sheets, the Gurab inbit is roughly half the height of the Legioss in Soldier Mode; maybe just a tad less. The Eager Inbit, in turn, is about half as tall as the Gurab. I'd end to think that the Wonderfest kits are a little too large for the scale, but it certainly makes for a nicer piece to display as a result.

According to the Mospeada style sheets, the Gurab inbit is roughly half the height of the Legioss in Soldier Mode; maybe just a tad less. The Eager Inbit, in turn, is about half as tall as the Gurab. I'd end to think that the Wonderfest kits are a little too large for the scale, but it certainly makes for a nicer piece to display as a result.

Darn it...I dont have the style sheets! :(

But..in terms of scale...here is a resin 1/72 scale Legioss (just the body...unbuilt...a Valkyrie Legiss and Tread recast! :) ) Also, a 1/35 scale pilot, a 1/48 scale pilot and a 1/12 scale Ride Armor....

invidscale.jpg

End result...I would agree with Captain...they are too large...but I would also agreee...I think they will look cool with my 1/72 battroid and Legioss and Tread...so Im okay with the scale issues....I would guess they are about 30% to large. (as an interesting aside the Reppu 1/48 Eager is about 50% bigger then the 1/72 Eager....so it would seem that is too large too )

Edited by Myersjessee

I dunno guys, they look very close to the line art in terms of scale. I'm thinking that people get thrown by the Ligia's hieght in that pose. The line art has it squating as it does in 1/2 the show. The Gurab is a better reference. My Legioss Battroid is about 4.5" tall to the top of the shoulders, and about 5" to the head antenaes. If the Gurab is aound 3" tall (which it appears to be) it's 1/72.

The Gurab should be about as tall as the Legioss leg in Battroid, which is 3" long. That certainly looks right to me. B))

Darn it...I dont have the style sheets! :(

But..in terms of scale...here is a resin 1/72 scale Legioss (just the body...unbuilt...a Valkyrie Legiss and Tread recast! :) ) Also, a 1/35 scale pilot, a 1/48 scale pilot and a 1/12 scale Ride Armor....

invidscale.jpg

End result...I would agree with Captain...they are too large...but I would also agreee...I think they will look cool with my 1/72 battroid and Legioss and Tread...so Im okay with the scale issues....I would guess they are about 30% to large. (as an interesting aside the Reppu 1/48 Eager is about 50% bigger then the 1/72 Eager....so it would seem that is too large too )

Just to steal this picture to page 2. By the way is the Ligia about 2" tall? It looks to be and if so that's 1/72 also.

HEy everybody,

I got my recast Garub from jesse today and have to say it is awsome. Gonna be a fun build. I'm thinking about trying to add better joints to it to make it more posable. This kit is well worth what Jesse is charging. :D

Oh brother you got yours before I got mine! :lol: You must live closer to the East Coast than I do.

HEy everybody,

I got my recast Garub from jesse today and have to say it is awsome. Gonna be a fun build. I'm thinking about trying to add better joints to it to make it more posable. This kit is well worth what Jesse is charging. :D

Sorry, I think I'm lost: how much are they and are still available? (I mean Jesse's recasts)

Thanks

Just pm Jessie for details.

Also thanks grayson and Jessie for the collaboration and making these available for an affordable price.

Not only 1000 thank you's to Grayson72, 1000 more to Neptune Survey...both of you made this happen!!!! Thank you sop very much for sharing..they are wonderful little kits!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

:wub::p