The Simpsons Movie is finally in the works.

UN Spacy

According to tvguide.com

COWABUNGA, DUDE!: Bart, Lisa and Maggie are about to experience a long-overdue growth spurt. Yes, The Simpsons is finally heading to the big screen. Execs at 20th Century Fox confirm that series creator Matt Groening is in the "very early stages" of developing a feature film based on Fox's animated phenom. Simpsons scribe Mike Reiss spilled the beans in an interview with DVDFanatic.com. He said the studio "wanted to do this since Season 2. Finally Fox said, 'Let's just do it!' We never had the greatest idea that was compelling, but Fox said, 'Maybe if we start paying you, you'll get inspired.' And, sure enough, it worked!"

Personally. This should have been in the works when The Simpsons were still funny (Season's 3 to 8). But it's still one of my favorite shows of all time. If they can get Conan O'Brien back on the production team I'll be happy. :blink:

As intriguing as the idea may sound, what are they going to do for 90 minutes? That they already haven't done?

Quote from South Park:

1. How about.....

2. The Simpsons already did it.

This is sounding like the last rally cry of the Simpsons. They need to end the series, then focus their whole attention to a good script, not write one while their putting out crappy episodes. It kills me to say the Simpsons needs to end ... I had a Bartman t-shirt in the first grade, before they got banned. But they have just run out of ideas and started resorting to gimmicks, as well as topical humor from years prior. It seems a sad end to the greatest show of all time.

Generally when a cartoon TV show in america releases a movie that is usually the last curtain call for it... it's final bow... it's "jump the shark" moment. After a feature, shows that generate movies usually fall off the face of the earth never to be heard from again usually because they can never outdo the pomp and pagentry of their movie selves.

I myself like the idea that the Simpsons went ten plus years without making a movie... this way the movie will be their swan song as they go quietly into the night.

Eh.

The Simpsons did quite a bit to challenge the idea of an animated sitcom being good. Then it went on to challenge ideas about what any sitcom could do - pushing limits, etc.

I'd love for it to be great, personally... but I don't really see any need for an entire movie. For one thing it brings up the age old question -

Do we make a movie for the superfreak obsessive fans who have memorized all 2 billion characters from the show and reference the hell out of past episodes... or do we make a movie that even the most casual fan can enjoy?

They'll say they've managed to do both... and it's usually never the case.

Personally I don't like longer versions of what works as a 30 minute show, cartoon or otherwise. They usually end up in Paris and get involved in some spy caper inadverdently or something. :rolleyes:

But this is the first that I'm hearing that the Simpsons are not funny anymore. I haven't been able to watch it regularly as I used to, but whenever I do get to see it, it seems like they still do it for me. If anything I think it'll take the death of a major cast member to stop this show in its tracks. :unsure:

Honestly, I enjoyed watching the Simpsons but I never really found the so all that funny. Maybe its just me. It has had it moments though and I usually find mysel smiling most of the time but I've never actually laughed out loud or really laughed at all like I've done in other shows. The ones I mentioned above for example.

The Simpsons may be past its prime, but name me three other comedies that are funnier.

Well?

Ah, you guys must be the same people who get all weepy-eyed at the last season of Friends. :p

I'll pick 3 shows I think are currently funnier than the Simpsons...

Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Scrubs.

But that's just me. And I only get weepy when I watch Tootie, Nat, and the gang, obviously. :p

Simpsons is the greatest prime time show ever... EVAR!!!

Just look at how long it has been going. Stupid shows that aren't funny don't run 14 years!

If this movie is their grand finale, well then its cool with me... That family has given me more to laugh at than any other 5 shows combined.

All good things must come to an end, some have trouble accepting this, its like my Girlfriend, she can't understand that WE have to sleep SOMETIME!

its like my Girlfriend, she can't understand that WE have to sleep SOMETIME!

:blink:

Simpsons is a great show, but with all the episodes that can be re-run, I wouldn't mind if the movie is indeed it's swan song, as long as it's good.

And right now, yes, Arrested Development is giving me more literal "LOL"s than Simpsons.

Vostok 7

The Simpsons may be past its prime, but name me three other comedies that are funnier.

Well?

Ah, you guys must be the same people who get all weepy-eyed at the last season of Friends. :p

Exactly. The Simpson's is still probably the only show worth watching on TV anymore.

Of course, by the time the movie comes out, I'll be playing with a PS3.

Arrested Development,

I'd give it a "meh." It's sometimes funny, but not LOL funny.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Don't even really watch it, so I'll move on to

, and Scrubs.

Ok, I'll give you this one.

And I'll also admit that That 70's Show deserves an honorable mention.

And I only get weepy when I watch Tootie, Nat, and the gang, obviously. 

That goes without saying. :lol:

none of those shows are gonna last 10 years fox comes out with a new comedy every year and it never lasts long, perosnally im surprised that 70's show has lasted as long as it did, its a good show but so were others that they cancelled, like family guy and grounded for life

I heard Dave Chappelle's show was hilarious, but I don't get cable and don't plan on it. oh well.

Scrubs is funny, but I keep missing it because they keep moving the damn thing.

70's show is kinda winding down, but the good news is they all know it and are ready to end it soon.

I heard Dave Chappelle's show was hilarious, but I don't get cable and don't plan on it. oh well.

70's show is kinda winding down, but the good news is they all know it and are ready to end it soon.

I love it when shows just magically disappear... You'll hear a show hyped up and then suddenly... nothing.

Like Happy Family... Or It's all Reletive... Or any other CBS sitcom... I'm suprised 2 and 1/2 men is surviving... It's actually somewhat funny in spots but I tend to find it... i dunno. I get this really strange feeling from it. Also the humor is too dry.

Grounded for Life was pretty good. I wonder why it didn't do so well. I also like Bernie Mac... That show is funny. And Malcom in the Middle has it's moments.

Vostok 7

Some people still think Simpsons is as good as it ever was. . .

While others think that Simpsons used to be the best show EVAR. . . but has slipped over the last several years.

I'm in the latter group. The tone and style of the humor is very different now than it was during the "golden era" of seasons 3-9. Homer is a caricature now, not a character. . . and please, for God's sake, knock off the freakin' guest stars appearing as themselves!

The Simpsons, when it was in its prime, was one of the funniest shows I had ever seen. I was a huge Simpsons fan throughout college.

I have friends who agree with me. . . and see a huge difference between a re-run they watch from six years ago. . . and a new one broadcast on Sunday night. I have others who claim they have no idea what we're talking about.

Personally, I think the Simpsons is still on the air, and lauded as much as it is for the same reason Johnny Carson was on for so long. . . it's an institution. Doesn't mean it's still good, however.

As for three shows that I think are funnier than the curren incarnation of The Simpsons:

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm

2. Scrubs

3. Simpsons Re-runs. Four times/day :)

I'm suprised 2 and 1/2 men is surviving... It's actually somewhat funny in spots but I tend to find it... i dunno. I get this really strange feeling from it. Also the humor is too dry.

Grounded for Life was pretty good. I wonder why it didn't do so well. I also like Bernie Mac... That show is funny. And Malcom in the Middle has it's moments.

Vostok 7

Yeah! How did that sitcom survive that long? That Bernie Mac Show is funny. So as that show My wife and kids.

Tell me about it. NBC is a basket case right now. They can't seem to get new episodes made. . . and while they wait, they move a show all over the map and pre-empt it for some lame reality show.

Then, of course, they love to move their Thursday shows all over the week. Did anyone notice that "Tuesday is Thursday on NBC!" crap? Not to mention, all the shows were 40-minutes long. Oh, and the Friends they showed was the "new" one that was on the prior Thursday!

Dude, NBC: Stop freakin' yanking our chains. Just get your damn shows made. Make sure they are 30 minutes long. . . and play them on a regular night.

One of my favorite shows, Ed, just got cancelled. Largely, in my opinion, due to BS like this.

Oh, and Scrubs is on Tuesdays now.

H

Vostok 7

I thought they cancelled Grounded for Life and then I caught it while Channel Surfing. It went from Fox to the WB... :huh:

i don't know about a movie, but the Simpsons is still one of the greatest shows on TV. i'll cry the day it ends. really. i will.

although i'm not sure how they plan to do a movie, i never thought that South Park could be a movie. but then it came out, and i laughed my ass off. so i'll just wait and see.

I can't stand most new tv these days. Shows that are supposed to be funny just aren't to me. They are easier trying to copy something else or do typical stereotypical humor. A few reality shows are mildly entertaining but get old fast. The Simpsons are not as great as they have been in the past but it is still much better than the rest of the crap. I'm not sure about a movie. I suppose it could be funny but it might just come off as a really long episode. What I am curious about is what it will be rated - PG, PG-13, R??

Chappelle's show is the best. Reno 911 is pretty good as well.

anyone this weeks Chappelle show?

Rick James: "Charlie Murphy, what did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!!! Cold Blooded!! I'm Rick James, Bitch!!"

funny stuff.... :lol:

best one ever: I AM the Supervisor!! :lol: