Need Help Identifying This Figure

Absurd

So, I recently purchased what I thought was a 2001 Bandai reissue in of the VF-1S Valkyrie. It’s the first Macross toy I’ve ever owned, so when it arrived I didn’t realize that it was an older version of the VF-1S that someone had re-boxed at some point. I only realized once I tried to remove the Skull Squadron heat shield, and it snapped off (I’m so sorry in advance, very sad about this), that something was wrong. It had come with the clear canopy with the two pegs in front suggesting it was made to be clipped on and off. The figure itself didn’t have the peg holes required to attach the canopy.

So, I started doing more digging into the history of the mold. Through comparing mine to others online, reading some articles, the wiki, and looking at the copyright stamp. I’m 99% certain that this is an earlier version of the mold that someone put in the reissue box. The only thing I can’t figure out is which version it is. I was hoping some of the experts on here could help, thank you for any assistance.

Photos are below, the last few are next to an actual 2001 reissue I got after getting the first one. 

IMG-1615.jpgIMG-1618.jpgIMG-1620.jpgIMG-1622.jpgIMG-1631.jpgIMG-1632.jpgIMG-1633.jpgIMG-1708.jpgIMG-1685.jpgIMG-1686.jpgIMG-1718.jpgIMG-1719.jpgIMG-1720.jpg

1 hour ago, Absurd said:

Is there a specific year, or a range of years that this would have come out in?

February 1983 to approximately June 1984.

Takatoku Toys's 1/55 VF-1S came out in February 1983 and the company declared bankruptcy around June 1984 due to losses incurred from sponsoring several anime titles that underperformed.  Their assets were liquidated to repay creditors and, after rescuing Takatoku's contract fab Matsushiro Toys from its own subsequent bankruptcy, both the original molds and Takatoku's designs for future Macross toys ended up in Bandai's hands.  New toys based on Takatoku's design were sold under Bandai's recently established HI-METAL starting in October 1984.

Edited by Seto Kaiba