Adventures in tiny printable ships

DeltaE27

I spent the last two days working on an Oberth-Class destroyer design for 3D printing, shown below. 

Oberthmodel1.png.9b28d726cf7fb8eed1244eef90ce0c93.png

Oberthmodel2.png.220d35dc1ed7cc8b3c0cb0bf660f5bf0.png

now, I’m pretty happy with it. You may be thinking though, that it’s honestly pretty rough. Details are lacking, shapes seem to be slightly thicker than they really should be, that sort of thing. Why would I do that?

Oberthmodel3.png.03575a413b14bb8e80f46a92d9c79cc2.png

Because a 200-meter long Oberth at 1/2000 scale is a centimeter long. So I’m trying to get what details I can in there without things breaking 😄

(And I basically gave up on the radar, as much as I like it. Too spindly)

1cm will put it in scale with the ARII zentradi capital ships and SDF-1 that I recently started acquiring. If it goes well I might try to design an ARMD (perhaps even a version I can swap in as docked to the Macross, after all I have a few…), a Zentradi picket ship, or if I’m crazy enough a simplified Quel-Quallie. I’ll document any of that here. But for now, time to start trying to print this Oberth. 

Edited by DeltaE27

• DeltaE27 changed the title to Adventures in tiny printable ships

You would think I would either try printing something, or designing something simpler and larger next. You would be wrong.

1/20000 Quel-Quallie:

quelqualliefront.png.9fb8d9e80836bd630ab0fd77afd2a100.pngquelquallieback.png.b05c5141c67bb24b3de7a9c088d782d6.png

this will be very small, around 2/3rds of a cm, so the landing legs will be very thin. I’ve got that block in between them in one version of the design to add a bit of strength. We’ll see how that turns out

Still finding it a lot easier to be motivated to design vs printing right now, so here’s an ARMD.

ARMDScreenshot.png.a910063b53c45efb96846ed017ce881e.png

ARMD2.png.2bc1938f4df832c4e00c7c7d7ea2144a.png

I think before I try printing anything I need to include a stand or space for a stand. I’ll probably work on that next, then the Picket ship, and that should be everything I want to design at this scale. 

Oh! This reminds me I wanted to add a mounting point compatible with the 1/20000 SDF-1 to the ARMD. I’ll tackle that next.