Other toy lines like Macross or Mospeada?

Wondering if anyone out there knows of any other toy lines that are similar to Macross or even Mospeada in terms of quality wqhen it comes to vehicles that transform into robots.  Not like Transformers stuff, thats not for the most part "high quality" like Bandai/Arcadia/Yamato/Sentinel etc., ta know?  Just curious.  Thanks!

I guess the SOC Voltrons from Bandai (aka Go-Lion and Dairugger XV) would qualify as mechs.  Good quality but somewhat expensive.  And not much of a toy line, per se.

I guess Eureka Seven would be another line of semi-transformable mechs.  But not too familiar with the toys/models made for the series.

i know there was a parts-former for the Nirvash, spec 2.  But again, my knowledge is limited.

22 hours ago, MKT said:

there’s the Garlands of Megazone 23 from Arcadia

Arcadia's Garland is the pinnacle of transformable toys, but Yamato's Bubblegum Crisis Moto-slaves deserve a mention, too...

HardSuit_Yamato152304.JPG

HardSuit_Yamato152302.JPG

HardSuit_Yamato152307.JPG

HardSuit_Yamato152308.JPG

...as does the "Variable Action Hi-Spec" Galvion Circus-1 from MegaHouse.

circus_sleek.jpg

circus_rear.jpg

In the grand Hasbro tradition, I rebranded him as a Transformer. ☺️

circus_pose.jpg

circus_behind.jpg

circus-1.jpg

On 8/26/2024 at 10:12 AM, sjoebarry said:

Wondering if anyone out there knows of any other toy lines that are similar to Macross or even Mospeada in terms of quality wqhen it comes to vehicles that transform into robots.  Not like Transformers stuff, thats not for the most part "high quality" like Bandai/Arcadia/Yamato/Sentinel etc., ta know?  Just curious.  Thanks!

Orguss...

17 hours ago, tekering said:

Arcadia's Garland is the pinnacle of transformable toys, but Yamato's Bubblegum Crisis Moto-slaves deserve a mention, too...

HardSuit_Yamato152304.JPG

HardSuit_Yamato152302.JPG

HardSuit_Yamato152307.JPG

HardSuit_Yamato152308.JPG

...as does the "Variable Action Hi-Spec" Galvion Circus-1 from MegaHouse.

circus_sleek.jpg

circus_rear.jpg

In the grand Hasbro tradition, I rebranded him as a Transformer. ☺️

circus_pose.jpg

circus_behind.jpg

circus-1.jpg

Love the Moto-slaves too :good: How's the built quality with regards to transformation actually? I haven't got to transforming any yet, so can't attest to that part lol. But they don't appear to break easily and the listings of them that pop up over the long period when I was hunting for my set never indicated broken examples - at most missing pieces.

I've never seen the Galvion Circus-1 before, so that is cool. 

There were a number of toys that famously didn't start as "Transformers" but were co-opted into the line later; Jetfire is of course the most famous but there was also the toy that eventually became Omega Supreme and also Shockwave. Not sure if that fits your definition or not.

It might be quite hard to find now, but slightly obscure anime-inspired puppet show "Star Fleet" - "X-Bomber" in its original Japanese form - had a toy line which featured at least one version of the Big Dai-X mecha (the "DX" toy) that could transform, kinda, into a sort of space-fighter thing (the actual mecha from the show, whilst a combiner, couldn't).

Not sure if you'd count "Gundam", either, there have been a number of transforming mecha from that show over the years, though most representations of them will likely be model kits rather than toys.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

3 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Not sure if you'd count "Gundam", either, there have been a number of transforming mecha from that show over the years, though most representations of them will likely be model kits rather than toys.

Gundam rarely has cool transformations. They usually go from cool robot to junky box in an instant. There are a couple of exceptions though 

Although not on the same level as Macross, Mospeada, etc, 52 Toys has some interesting stuff, especially their more recent figures over the past two years where their engineering has been improving. Most of their toys are robot animals that convert into cubes, but they've also produced teams of vehicles (construction, submarines, jet fighters, and most recently a racing car and sci-fi motorcycle) that can combine in different ways to form humanoid robots. They've also partnered up with a couple of Japanese designers who created a line of creatures called BeastDrive that can transform into vehicles, such as their inaugural figure, a sporty car that turns into a Velociraptor. They come as kits which contain the central articulated frame and several sprues of add-on armor bits to flesh out the model. 

Image result for Beastdrive raptor

I have this one and I was surprised by how clever the transformation is and by the level of articulation. It was easy to assemble and looks good in both modes. The only gripe is that the deco is achieved via waterslides. I'd never really done waterslides before, but I took my time and got them all applied. IMHO it makes a huge difference over just a plain white car. I have their rabbit/stealth plane and Ptero/car on order.

Chinese company Sci-Figure Industry made a transforming J20 fighter jet and a WZ-10 attack helicopter, both licensed Chinese aircraft, that are very well-crafted toys with complex transformations and highly articulated robot modes. The realism of the vehicle modes is the real plus with both designs, giving little indication of their transforming nature. I have the Aegocopter WZ-10 figure and it is a very impressive fig in-hand. Transformation is rather involved, but man is the chopper mode impressive.

Touchtoys is another Chinese company producing very realistic licensed Chinese vehicles with complex transformations. Among their designs are a Y20 transport plane, an HQ-9 Mobile SAM launcher, a J-35 fighter, a 055 type Destroyer ship, and a J-16 fighter.

Edited by M'Kyuun