And I thought Jetfire was all the connection there was… Macross 7/ Transformers collaboration

DeltaE27

This is a screenshot from a Tomy T-Spark announcement trailer I was just watching. The video is full of teasers for new collab projects at various stages of development, this came right after a few seconds showing the VF-19 fire Valkyrie in action and right before showing off a silhouette. It looks like a Macross 7/Transformers collab is in the works!

I don’t know the policy for posting links, so let me know if I need to remove this, but if you want to watch yourself (it’s a lot of transformers stuff if you like that), here it is: https://youtu.be/CUWB2iakKcA?si=m4MuGHuQ76W-W2YJ

IMG_9046.png

Edited by DeltaE27

Well, the Shield Liger-Optimus has a ton of new parts, but the Godzilla OP and Megs look like minimal-effort repaints. So Basara's valk could run the gamut--I didn't instantly recognize the silhouette they showed, but it looks like it has half a VF-19 hanging upside down off its back.  So likely a re-shell of an existing mold.   

48 minutes ago, DeltaE27 said:

but if you want to watch yourself (it’s a lot of transformers stuff if you like that

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Surprisingly, the two main Transformer sites I follow haven't mentioned it yet.  That silhouette isn't much to go on, yet, so I'm curious but not really excited.  As for the rest, well, I made a post in the Transformers thread.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not even going to pretend for a moment that this will wind up looking good in fighter mode, but I could see them having fun with the name.

JetFire Prime? :p 

With Macross Seven?  It's gonna be Basara Prime, or Rodimus Song.  

Mylene/Arcee/MAXL would definitely work though, if they make a 2nd one...

3 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Well, the Shield Liger-Optimus has a ton of new parts, but the Godzilla OP and Megs look like minimal-effort repaints. So Basara's valk could run the gamut--I didn't instantly recognize the silhouette they showed, but it looks like it has half a VF-19 hanging upside down off its back.  So likely a re-shell of an existing mold.   

I agree, I am very interested for November 2024 when they combine Transformers with Macross 7.  I just now recall how Kawamori redesigned Starscream for the Masterpiece Starscream release. (MP-3?)

Twich

I can’t pretend to know too much about transformers (blame Zoids for bringing this to my attention, the fan communities I’m part of we’re having a lot of fun with this), so I’m happy people more invested and knowledgeable than I are able to weigh in. 

I had to post, though, because the 2-second whiplash of watching a transformers video and thinking “oh, look, an animation of a transforming- wait, that’s the other transforming mecha animation I know!” Was something else. 

• DeltaE27 changed the title to And I thought Jetfire was all the connection there was… Macross 7/ Transformers collaboration
5 hours ago, twich said:

I agree, I am very interested for November 2024 when they combine Transformers with Macross 7.  I just now recall how Kawamori redesigned Starscream for the Masterpiece Starscream release. (MP-3?)

Twich

He also designed Convoy/ Optimus Prime and the 2004 toy line THS-02 Convoy. 

1 hour ago, Black Valkyrie said:

Soundwave VF-19 ? 

While I have little faith that Takara can surpass the Yamato one (haven’t shipped my HMR one yet), I think a Soundwave VF-19 is a great idea.

It looks like the nosecone (with canards) is folded onto the back with the tailfins on the legs and the wings nowhere to be found. So it probably won’t look anything like a VF-19 but the color scheme.

Maybe it‘s a re-shell of Needlenose?

image.jpeg.23348c2974aea4b28222c6968d996a37.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg.80152753e1ca8f9376bb95a4b444afe6.jpeg

Edited by Scyla

That silhouette is just odd.  The lines are pretty clean, and I can see some of the VF-19 in it, but I also smell too much transformersism in it.