DX Chogokin SV-262Hs Bogue Con-Vaart

MKT

4 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

Just watch the two Delta movies. It's much better focused on specific plot lines and even reworks some of the main characters. The TV version is basically rendered non canon by it. Kind of how Frontier was retconned, but even more wildly divergent, to the point that it's not even remotely the same story anymore.

Edited for emphasis, and this is the best part of the first movie.  I liked the series up until they nuked the planet, and they took the plot with it.  The movie trims the bloated plot down to something that almost makes sense, because it just bypasses a bunch of the unexplained/nonsensical bits completely (including the nonexistent triangle, which is especially ironic considering the name of the series), and completely avoids a bunch of payoff-less setups that made the entire series feel like dangling thread spaghetti.

That's not to say it fixes the second one though.. it had its moments, but that one just felt so freaking weird, and I don't think I even want to understand the ending.

Far as this release is concerned.. it's weird how good and bad it is simultaneously.  The 262 is such a bizarre product.  It's a beautiful and unique design, but such an overengineered mess of flippy folding bits.

I still would buy the heck out of a Ba variant, but after building several of the transforming models, I'm mostly convinced that Bandai can't figure out how to make that head design into a playable feature.  It's a fragile mess of tiny panels on ball-jointed armatures that is prone to shed parts freqently and violently.

Far as this one is concerned, considering the market for Keith's, I expect this one to either be extremely easy to pick up on the secondary market, or insanely rare because no one is going to order them.  I'm frankly very surprised Bandai is even revisiting this mold at all, and will be interested to see if they improve anything about it.

I wonder who among here who has Keith's Draken and planning on getting Bogue's as well so it can be displayed together as part of their Max/Millia shrine? :rolleyes: 

item_0000011581_QQwARWRK_08.jpg.3d377b477c0519813daaa94bb81982e4.jpg item_0000015103_fddXLe85_04.jpg.a295ffa79b159f0b1a83965b0119b5a2.jpg

item_0000011581_QQwARWRK_06.jpg.ca4c98f29877dc002f89a951172048b1.jpg item_0000015103_fddXLe85_06.jpg.66c5e60be8f340146a88ac09548a8e37.jpg

item_0000011581_QQwARWRK_01.jpg.7f5bcd738dd5d88d7c675e9f338fdf9b.jpg item_0000015103_fddXLe85_09.jpg.8a82b63c7f580d8b2bb84675ff96ab68.jpg

As opposed to the VF-25S Armored, this 262 repaint is now being offered on official P-Bandai sites outside Japan across Asia. Bandai appears to be testing out different avenues for web exclusives now.

I’m also surprised Bandai didn’t package in the missile packs for this, as what they have been fond of doing for other WWM DX releases. 

With this scheduled to be released in Feb next year, safe to say we won’t be getting any more new valk toys this year that hasn’t already been announced. The VF-25S Armored in Nov will cap off a rather busy year of reissues, revivals & new molds.

Hopefully we’ll get a DX 262Ba next year, and they’ll also do a SV-303 Vivaswat soon!

11 hours ago, MKT said:

I’m also surprised Bandai didn’t package in the missile packs for this, as what they have been fond of doing for other WWM DX releases. 

Too lazy to check footage, but most images suggest he never wore the missile packs, so there's probably no canon livery in these colors even if Bandai wanted to slap them on...

2 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

Too lazy to check footage, but most images suggest he never wore the missile packs, so there's probably no canon livery in these colors even if Bandai wanted to slap them on...

I don’t think that the SV-262 deployed without the missile packs and lil’Drakens

Twich

9 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

7 hours ago, twich said:

I don’t think that the SV-262 deployed without the missile packs and lil’Drakens

Twich

Just echoing @twich.. but no sword being shown this time though.

MissilePackscreengrab.jpg.97eedbd189dc23cfbe92ee58c4fa8275.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Displayed at Tamashii Nations Tokyo Store.

006SCGqIgy1hs85ztwok5j319k1sdtw2-6.jpg

1000216036_10__45181-1.jpg

1000216036_1__17675-1.jpg

1000216036_2__14152-1.jpg

Doesn’t look as gap-filled as the first release! Looking good!

Twich

Edited by twich

I'm not going to hold out hope that they made any improvements, but they'd do well to examine the 1/72 kit for how to simplify and improve the entire transformation.

It's really bizarre that the plastic kit feels like it locks together more solidly than the DX version. :blink: Specifically the wings.. The DX relies entirely on the tabs in the outer wing portions to lock into the legs, which is why they needed the clear brackets for the drone boosters.  In comparison, the snap kit's entire wing armature clicks into place against the leg, making the whole thing lock together like a brick.

Edited by Chronocidal

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm not going to hold out hope that they made any improvements, but they'd do well to examine the 1/72 kit for how to simplify and improve the entire transformation.

It's really bizarre that the plastic kit feels like it locks together more solidly than the DX version. :blink: Specifically the wings.. The DX relies entirely on the tabs in the outer wing portions to lock into the legs, which is why they needed the clear brackets for the drone boosters.  In comparison, the snap kit's entire wing armature clicks into place against the leg, making the whole thing lock together like a brick.

What about the bit around the intakes?  Moving that thing into and out of place between Fighter and Gerealk is terrible.

I don't have the model kit to compare, but by itself I actually don't mind what's already going on with this mold. Sure, there are some parts that are more of a challenge to move into their proper position, and some parts take quite a few attempts to tab & fit properly (for eg, tabbing both intakes to one another to form the chest). Ultimately, they can be done and that is what matters unlike the gappy areas we have with the 31AX mold.

7 hours ago, Mommar said:

What about the bit around the intakes?  Moving that thing into and out of place between Fighter and Gerealk is terrible.

Oh there is an entire pile of improvements I would bring over from the kit, given the option.  The wings always just stuck with me as the worst, because of how sloppy they are with the draken mounts.  The whole thing is just another case of Bandai's brain halves not speaking to each other.

The uniqueness if this design and engineering alone is enough for me to want one. But i already have the 1/72 Keith and I'll probably stick with that when Bandai eventually releases this one in that scale. 

31 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Oh there is an entire pile of improvements I would bring over from the kit, given the option.  The wings always just stuck with me as the worst, because of how sloppy they are with the draken mounts.  The whole thing is just another case of Bandai's brain halves not speaking to each other.

Well that's good to know that the kit won't be a big dis appointment. I've yet to tackle my Bandai 1/72 Frontier kits . Something to look forward to. 

Important to note that the kits do have limitations and are more fragile in general, but the 262 kit seems to be the best of the bunch for the most part, in terms of being what I would call "playable," at least compared with the VF-25s and VF-31s.

There are a couple of fragile parts, but they can be reinforced.  The kit's transformation just feels like it comes together better than the DX version... considering how difficult the hands are to work with on the DX, I'd almost say having removable hands on the kit is more of a benefit than a drawback.

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I honestly don't remember how the transformation even works.  I hated it so much I got it to Gerwalk and stopped there.

17 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I honestly don't remember how the transformation even works.  I hated it so much I got it to Gerwalk and stopped there.

The dx is a an amazing unit. The transformation is nothing short of an engineering marvel. 

1 hour ago, Zeliard said:

The dx is a an amazing unit. The transformation is nothing short of an engineering marvel. 

I agree with this. I love the Sv-262. I was actually trying to find another Keith "as a backup" a few months ago but couldn't find a brand new one at a good price. Luckily the preorder for this opened a few weeks ago and saves me from getting a duplicate (I've kinda sworn off buying duplicates to save space but I wanted to mess around with the Sv-262 again without bothering the one I have on display).

Edited by ArchieNov

I seriously don't see why the community here is so particular about everything. Any deficiencies are viewed as if Bandai has caused the worst trangression ever. I understand from such an expensive toy, we will expect  perfection, but sure enough we cannot please everyone, right....

Edited by Zeliard

50 minutes ago, Zeliard said:

I seriously don't see why the community here is so particular about everything. Any deficiencies are viewed as if Bandai has caused the worst trangression ever. I understand from such an expensive toy, we will expect  perfection, but sure enough we cannot please everyone, right....

Not to sound snarky, but you will find this with any passionate fan base.

Twich

On 8/23/2024 at 1:51 PM, no3Ljm said:

shrine? :rolleyes: 

item_0000011581_QQwARWRK_08.jpg.3d377b477c0519813daaa94bb81982e4.jpg item_0000015103_fddXLe85_04.jpg.a295ffa79b159f0b1a83965b0119b5a2.jpg

Why is it that I never look at ANY VF-1 as a repaint of another VF-1 but this SV-262 is a repaint?  The 31AX’s are all repaints to me. YF-29’s just repaints. But I don’t think that of any VF-1?  If they came out with an Alaska Base VF-1 I’d buy it in a heartbeat. But this SV…. Nah I already have the “blue one”.  I must be weird

Edited by sjoebarry

I can definitely get that.  To me, it's probably just something about identifying the valks with the characters.. which requires the characters to actually be memorable, in and of themselves.  It's an association thing.

With these.. yeah, there was nothing memorable about the battles to identify any of the individual valks with.  They all (motion) blurred together into a giant pile of mecha-scissoring. :p 

8 hours ago, sjoebarry said:

Why is it that I never look at ANY VF-1 as a repaint of another VF-1 but this SV-262 is a repaint?  The 31AX’s are all repaints to me. YF-29’s just repaints. But I don’t think that of any VF-1?  If they came out with an Alaska Base VF-1 I’d buy it in a heartbeat. But this SV…. Nah I already have the “blue one”.  I must be weird

Have you watched the show/movie/s yet?  I feel the same, but I haven't watched any of the other stuff yet.  If you have watched it and still feel that way, then I'd chalk it up to bad writing or character development.  For VF-1 valks, you really feel like you're buying "Roy" or "Hikaru" instead of just their valk.  SDFM characters just have a special place in my heart, and I have to have all of their valks.  That's why I never got a YF-29 until they made the Max version which I had to have despite never seeing the movie.  I have bought 3 of the SV-262 tho, and preordered "the red one" because I really love the design of it, and I'm not into (or have time for) building model kits.  Other than the fiddly bracket buried in the middle of the thing, I found the DX to be quite nice, but I haven't played with it enough to argue the point.

At least with the 31's, they all had different head units or pods which was enough justification for me to get. This is literally just a repaint. Also Bogue hardly got to use his before it gets shot down and he never did anything worthwhile with it. I think at this point, I would rather have variants than repaints.

3 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

At least with the 31's, they all had different head units or pods which was enough justification for me to get. This is literally just a repaint. Also Bogue hardly got to use his before it gets shot down and he never did anything worthwhile with it. I think at this point, I would rather have variants than repaints.

Yeah, very much this.  I've been wishing we had the Ba since day one of this line of products.

I'm frankly amazed they even bothered to revisit this design at all, but I guess when they have an existing "functional" product, it's low effort cash to just spit more out of the molds in a new color of plastic.

Still would have rather had the Elvis version, but I actually question whether Bandai would be capable of making that one without the plastic absolutely disintegrating if you looked at it funny.  That swirly sort of pearlescent plastic is generally constructed from at least 50% explodium.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Still would have rather had the Elvis version, but I actually question whether Bandai would be capable of making that one without the plastic absolutely disintegrating if you looked at it funny.  That swirly sort of pearlescent plastic is generally constructed from at least 50% explodium.

Or the white areas would yellow so much that you wouldn't know which were areas were supposed to be gold 😛

3 hours ago, MKT said:

I hope Bandai does more cash grab by revisiting the 31A Kairos mold. :aggressive:

nah, fed-up of waiting....not sure i want another release.....yer hear that bandai! ...bandai: couldnt give a rats***...

but  bandai decides to re-release it, i will take a look....😐

Edited by seti88