Macross DYRL in 4K UHD with English Subtitles

45 minutes ago, Shawn said:

@davidwhangchoi, do you know where did they get the 4k screenshots from for the comparison?

it's from the blu-ray.com thread one of the users sourced 720p jpg screen caps from a natalie.mu article.

https://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/news/587583/2392386

edit: Though it's DNR'd and might lose some detail, this honestly looks pretty good. 

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Blu-ray.com is a great resource for collectors, but the community there can be kinda looney toons--even by MW standards, lol. They can be quite fanatical about certain things.

Up for pre-order on amiami:

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=MED-DVD2-57127&srsltid=AfmBOop7JvnQV8V72dDEvHR_9Iq02494-dip3-tteW3FJTfpKeoVKvO1

It looks to be the same offering from Amazon.co.jp, CDJapan, etc.

Regarding the loss of detail...couldn't this be attributed to YT compressing the video, and the 4K comparison itself being downcaled to 1080p?

Edit:

Play-Asia:

https://www.play-asia.com/macross-do-you-remember-love-4k-remastered-set-4k-ultra-hd-blu-/13/70hm1n?srsltid=AfmBOoqXTHcgFV3__UjN0lAcLSfbr2SvNRtYM_Cmf2L8En3EgsNMcUpf

Edited by Oihan

Right now its impossible to know the actual quality. The demo video has the true side by sides in a small 3 inch windows, so not really helpful except to see the colors are more vibrant.
We assume other elements in the video are the 4k scan, but some look just as blurry as the old 2k scan, and of course the upload goes through youtube's video process algorithm to conserve video space.

The static pictures that were used in the links above are 720p pics saved from the website, and again we don't really know the amount of processing that might have been done.

We all have best guesses (de-grained/noise reduction/AI enhancement) but until we get more marketing material who knows.
Luckily its only a few months away so the wait isn't going to be that long. Even if you waited until some reviews come out I'm sure it will be available for purchase at all the normal places we get stuff from.

With the 16x9 format, I really hope for the english subs they put them UNDER the picture in the dead-space and not overlaid on the video.
I'd love for them to include the old Space Fortress Macross dub, just for fun, but that won't happen.
And no video extras sound like they are included, aside from the 2 promos

TV commercials or the TV Special program would be super cool to include.

Heck I even paid Matt Alt to translate the thing 15 years ago...its ready to go, I'll sign my release 😛

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=147371

18 hours ago, Big s said:

I’d watch the drunken Australian dub for laughs every now and then just for fun.

That's a Hong Kong dub, not Australian.

17 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

But the opening doesn't have any credits. 

It might might mean that the opening scene of the movie doesn’t have the title come on the screen right after the Macross emerges from the shadows. 

Went with a copy of the "limited edition" set....will try to pick up any of the retailer-specific extras if they come up on their own...or if anyone here only wants to keep the discs of the regular releases and would sell the extras let me know via PM...I am referring to the A3 posters which seem to be different from some of the web retailers....

I just hope this 4k version will finally fix this lingering issue with our beloved movie:

snap-00022.png.219d8148646a117ab95ee1e3b251d057.png

Poor unknown Super-1A guy being launched to battle without his valk's requisite missile loadouts since the original film showing back in 1984, ffs!!!

:bump:

🤣

Edited by treatment

13 minutes ago, treatment said:

I just hope this 4k version will finally fix this lingering issue with our beloved movie:

Poor unknown Super-1A guy being launched to battle without his valk's requisite missile loadouts since the original film showing back in 1984, ffs!!!

🤣

I just want them to fix the blurry scenes.

50 minutes ago, treatment said:

🤣

cant unsee it now...🤣...nvm maybe he/she needed all the speed for a recon mission...🤪

Just ordered mine.  It is going to be sooooooo nice having a legit English subbed release of this movie instead of having to mess around with a media server to add a separate subtitle file to it.

On 9/1/2024 at 11:36 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Just ordered mine.  It is going to be sooooooo nice having a legit English subbed release of this movie instead of having to mess around with a media server to add a separate subtitle file to it.

It only took BW looking at the potential revenue from the international (almost) rollout on Disney+. If I knew it would be that easy, I would have invented high speed internet and streaming services decades ago.....

11 hours ago, Keith said:

It only took BW looking at the potential revenue from the international (almost) rollout on Disney+. If I knew it would be that easy, I would have invented high speed internet and streaming services decades ago.....

Big West was adding official English subs to select Macross releases well before that point.  IIRC, they started with one of the Macross Frontier re-release box sets before making that standard practice from the Macross Delta TV series Blu-rays onward.  

It is nice that they didn't walk that strategy back after the distribution agreement though, so we can still import legitimate copies of the titles that weren't licensed with English subs.

On 9/4/2024 at 12:07 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Big West was adding official English subs to select Macross releases well before that point.  IIRC, they started with one of the Macross Frontier re-release box sets before making that standard practice from the Macross Delta TV series Blu-rays onward. 

As far as Frontier having English subs, you're talking about the "Shooting Star" Blu-ray set of both movies, I believe? To my knowledge English subs don't officially exist yet for the Frontier TV series -- something that gets remedied soon, I hope.

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

As far as Frontier having English subs, you're talking about the "Shooting Star" Blu-ray set of both movies, I believe? To my knowledge English subs don't officially exist yet for the Frontier TV series -- something that gets remedied soon, I hope.

Does anyone know, was there ever confirmation whether the recent TV show re-release box set included English subs? Scouring the thread, the listings across Amazon/Amiami/etc. don't list English subs and many assumed that meant there aren't subs, however @no3Ljm pointed out that the Delta movie(s?) didn't note English subs but included them.

I dunno who said the Delta movies didn't have subs but all Delta releases do have English subs. I have a copy of Zettai Live BD and can confirm that much. 

As for Frontier, the series never got English subs in a BD release to my knowledge (maybe the most recent, but I don't know). That being said, the subs exist now because I've seen them on the Disney+ streams where they are available in certain countries (such as Canada).

Edited by Master Dex

16 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Yeah, that's the one.  I don't think I've checked the newer Frontier Blu-rays for subs... haven't rewatched the series since I got the last set.

But yeah, with subs on the way from US distributors we'll get it one way or the other. 

I kind of expect we'll also see a re-release of the original series with English subs in Japan as another end-run around Harmony Gold's ongoing-but-reduced stupidity.

On 8/22/2024 at 11:14 PM, Shawn said:

another part of the sdf-1

image.png.11783f1ed09ae42ed31e02550c45f4b2.png

Wow, that looks... so much worse to me. I know remastering isn't exactly a walk in the park, but removing all film grain and detail just in favor of more pixels is never good. Makes the whole thing look like someone smeared Vaseline over the camera lens. I guess its an upgrade over the bluray, only in the sense that there's more pixels for the same amount of detail. 

I don't really care for the color correction either... kinda a bummer. Good anime remasters are a rarity, I suppose.