Macross DYRL in 4K UHD with English Subtitles

4 hours ago, Keith said:

I wouldn't worry about edits, those were 100% game demo related. But English subs? OMFG BW, that was all you ever had to do!

Was that the reason they cut out the blood in some scenes?  That seems like such a stupid excuse, especially considering how that game was such a let-down compared with the better systems we got in Macross 30. :rolleyes: 

9 hours ago, Shawn said:

so they do say a new film scanning techniques, but from the video they provided I still see blurry video. Wonder if they are doing some sort of AI type enhancements.
colors are definitely more vibrant

dammit. I kept my dvd bc the upscale was less distracting than the blu ray.

the contrast from the sharp scenes vs the blurry were so jarring and distracting on the blu ray.

ah well at least it has english subs.  

7 hours ago, network19 said:

The color does look different. It pops out a bit more. Still looks a bit blurry on certain scenes. I know that YouTube doesn't do it justice but on one of the comparisons, it does look a bit worse. I'm happy they are finally releasing it in 4K and possibly in HDR, don't know if it also has a new audio mix. But this looks to be the final version of DYRL that I am ever going to buy. If the subs turn out bad then I guess I'll remux it with fansubs. Guess this is the closest we'll get to a western release.

ok, i just saw the youtube link with the VPN turned on and it's silly that's the youtube announcement with the comparison shots are not offered in 4k.  

and these aren't the scenes that were blurry on the bluray edition being used in the comparison shots. 

I was in the verge of completing an order on this and stopped myself. Concerned about the quality of the subs and how the transfer turns out. May hold off on this until people have these in hand and can speak to how the final product turned out. I'm not concerned about any first edition bonuses or whatnot.

13 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

I was in the verge of completing an order on this and stopped myself. Concerned about the quality of the subs and how the transfer turns out. May hold off on this until people have these in hand and can speak to how the final product turned out. I'm not concerned about any first edition bonuses or whatnot.

One can always hope that the english-subs is as good as the ones on the recent Macross Zero BD-remaster...

58 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

For me, it's more important that I have a physical copy of the movie in 4K, regardless of the quality of the subs. I can't imagine Kawamori and co. goofing the transfer of this release.  I can't imagine there will be another release of DYRL? in 4K after this for that matter.

Edit: I'm still trying to figure out how to get a copy of the first press limited edition.

Edited by Oihan

2 hours ago, Oihan said:

I can't imagine Kawamori and co. goofing the transfer of this release.

Plenty of directors with more prestige and fame than Kawamori have supervised disastrous transfers.

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Was that the reason they cut out the blood in some scenes?  That seems like such a stupid excuse, especially considering how that game was such a let-down compared with the better systems we got in Macross 30. :rolleyes: 

Yeah, the Cero ratings board is "strict", any content on a disc that has a game on it in Japan needs to adhere to the games rating standards. The real question is why didn't BW split the demo off into its own thing when they found out?

3 hours ago, Oihan said:

For me, it's more important that I have a physical copy of the movie in 4K, regardless of the quality of the subs. I can't imagine Kawamori and co. goofing the transfer of this release.  I can't imagine there will be another release of DYRL? in 4K after this for that matter.

1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:

Plenty of directors with more prestige and fame than Kawamori have supervised disastrous transfers.

Agree with @Duke Togo on his point.  Look at James Cameron's and the dicord on the new Aliens 4k remaster. Terrible. Because of Lucas, star wars fans have resorted to Project 4K77 aside from the controversial additions, the blu ray loss details that the original film had https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/  

Although, Kawamori is a god to us Macross lovers,  I wasn't fan of the blu ray release of DYRL post processing.   

2 hours ago, efisher said:

Great news indeed! I went and ordered a copy but I know it's gonna be scrubbed of film grain.

Yes, this is sad news but hopefully it's a good transfer. I have it pre-ordered regardless. 

5 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

4 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Agree with @Duke Togo on his point.  Look at James Cameron's and the dicord on the new Aliens 4k remaster. Terrible. Because of Lucas, star wars fans have resorted to Project 4K77 aside from the controversial additions, the blu ray loss details that the original film had https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/  

Although, Kawamori is a god to us Macross lovers,  I wasn't fan of the blu ray release of DYRL post processing.

I was unaware of the discord over those movies in 4K, to be honest. I wonder though if those same critics were watching said movies on a properly calibrated UHD display, with all picture setting modes (HDR, DV...Filmmaker Mode) properly calibrated for all inputs...and or if they weren't "coloring" the pictures themselves using a 'vivid' mode or using such "features" as Dynamic Contrast, Dynamic Color, and or Dynamic Tone Mapping (DV being the exception).

On a side note, I've seen the Aliens 4K movie (bought a physical copy) and I didn't notice any issues or problems - the film looked great to me. I also loved the Blu-rays of SDFM and DYRL?. While the animation of SDFM hasn't aged well...the show looks absolutely gorgeous in my eyes - they did a phenomenal job with it, in my opinion. The only disappointments I have ever had with any Macross Blu-ray I've bought is the censoring in DYRL? and the English subtitles in Macross Plus; I'm glad they re-released DYRL? uncensored.

I'm still hopeful and confident they'll get it right with this 4K release.

Edited by Oihan
Etiquette - removed emojis.

2 hours ago, Oihan said:

On a side note, I've seen the Aliens 4K movie (bought a physical copy) and I didn't notice any issues or problems - the film looked great to me

It's an upscale of the old 2K transfer that has been scrubbed of all grain. And the color still isn't right. 

I worry they'll use AI to process the hell out of DYRL, trying to make it look "new" like Cameron has been doing with his films.

Taking one of the 4k frames vs the pic from the TIA DYRL from that link above
https://slow.pics/s/PXQKAXiA

Left is the 4k, right is the book (the book is obviously a diff frame due to the blinking lights on/off)
Without freaking out too much quite yet, the one of the left sure looks 'enhanced' in some way, or that is one heck of a new 4k scan from the negative. I really hope this is the case (the latter)
The books are most likely sourced from a 35mm print, so some loss is already expected.

I think the way to definitively see if things are being enhanced is to find a DYRL cel from a collector, that is present in the 4k preview.
image.png.10a3cae1575daad1200f9894594326b7.png

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

another part of the sdf-1

image.png.11783f1ed09ae42ed31e02550c45f4b2.png

This is what I was afraid of. They've used AI to totally scrub the grain from the transfer, and we've lost detail with it.

On 8/22/2024 at 1:17 AM, Shawn said:

another bluray(top) vs youtube 4k promo bottom

I get to be the first to say "where did all the film grain go" LOL
I will assume it is Youtube compression playing a major part, so these comparison aren't really helpful.

Nope. It's been a long and sad trend of 4K anime BDs to completely scrub the grain out.

We did have a good ride of a lot of BDs giving us wonderfully preserved image quality as it is on the negatives but in the end the grain haters have made the studios submit and start DNRing the life and detail out of everything. Especially with their new "AI" crap.

As for the claim of even the blurry scene being in focus now I don't buy it. Most of those scenes are blurry because of poor photography during adding the zentradi subtitles optically. That would still be in the final negative. To properly fix that they'd have to dig out the original animation-only negative elements, scan that and re-add the subtitles digitally. I don't see them going through that much effort when they can just oversharpen things with "AI".

Honestly willing to bet upscaling the original BD release to 4K with a simple bicubic resample will have better detail in places than the overfiltered new scan.

EDIT: oh god damnit, replied without seeing there's a 2nd page to the thread. bah.

But yeah those comparisons show how dire 4K animation trends have become. frakking RIP to actually preserving art.

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter