Star Wars: Skeleton Crew - Disney +

11 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Are you new to Star Wars?

Actually, I'm newly OUT.  I've had it with Star Wars

This was the proverbial last straw:

ScreenShot2024-08-10at10_39_37PM.png.82d43a9b45a47af9d631e11803286db9.png

This Amblin suburb is the most anti-Star Wars setting you could possibly imagine.

17 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

They've had productions aimed at kids since the 80s.

Yeah, but as mediocre as Droids, as pedestrian as Ewoks, or as childish as Young Jedi Adventures was, none of them anal-raped the setting like this.  

It's an abomination, a blight on the brand far more insulting than anything Ahsoka or The Acolyte foisted on us.

27 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Does everything need to revolve around what you want to see?

Of course it does; I'd have nothing to whine about otherwise.

Are you new to the Internet? 😝

35 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Feared you'd get something aimed at younger audiences? Are you new to Star Wars? They've had productions aimed at kids since the 80s.

Does everything need to revolve around what you want to see?

They want to do an Amblin-style show set in the Star Wars universe, I say go for it. Give us more of something different, I say. Andor is a spy-thriller, great. Give us horror, too. Comedy. What have you.

Precisely, I think people forgot about Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor,  Ewoks or even Droids

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Is anyone else completely thrown by Star Wars showing a planet that actually looks like a legitimately nice place to live?

The problem is it looked like any suburban spot in the USA.  

I've never seen "The Goonies" but this trailer looks like "Star Wars: The Goonies" to me.

50 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I've never seen "The Goonies" but this trailer looks like "Star Wars: The Goonies" to me.

Haven't seen the trailer yet, but is this is a mix of Star Wars and Goonies - then AWESOME!!!

41 minutes ago, Thom said:

Haven't seen the trailer yet, but is this is a mix of Star Wars and Goonies - then AWESOME!!!

Was kinda thinking the same. Who knows, there’s an odd chance this could be the best live action Star Wars series, but probably not.

6 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

I see what they're going for here. Hopefully this doesn't needlessly tie into the saga or Filoni-verse and can just exist as a children's' adventure set within that galaxy.

Agreed. I like what I'm seeing in this trailer. It very clear what type of show this is. A Spielberg-like kid fantasy. You can watch this show without complaining that kid isn't strong enough to lift a gun that size or in real life that kid die if someone stabbed them with a light saber. How could these 8-year-olds out smart a Sith lord? They can if it a show about kids saving the day. If it's part of the greater story, then you can start questioning the logic.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

This Amblin suburb is the most anti-Star Wars setting you could possibly imagine.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

This one point, I actually agree with... not becuase I think it's inherently anti-Star Wars, but because no other Star Wars title I've seen has shown me anywhere in the Galaxy Far Far Away that actually looks like a place normal people would want to live.

The writers usually only ever take us to the sterile and lifeless ivory towers of the galaxy's ruling elite, little villages of impoverished dirt farmers out in the arse end of nowhere, and the various flavors of "wretched hive of scum and villainy" like the lower levels of overpopulated ecumenopolises, rundown industrial towns, and shantytowns ruled by crime lords where the galaxy's disreputable individuals hang out.

With that being the norm in Star Wars, this...

3 hours ago, tekering said:

ScreenShot2024-08-10at10_39_37PM.png.82d43a9b45a47af9d631e11803286db9.png

... looks like it came from another franchise entirely.

Specifically, Star Trek.

This vista wouldn't feel at all out of place as a suburb on some really nice Federation planet like Earth, Betazed, or Trill.

I think it will be a good show for younger audiences. If it only touches the larger Filoni-era stories and be more self-isolated, even better.

Me?
pass-saturday-night-live.gif

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Is anyone else completely thrown by Star Wars showing a planet that actually looks like a legitimately nice place to live?

The trailer definitely doesn't do much to diminish the impression this is just a Star Wars version of Star Trek: Prodigy though.

Prodigy was a good show, so if they can do this at the same level, I'll be happy.

As to the 'suburbs', why wouldn't there be some on some planet in the vast universe? As said above, we've seen the real ugly parts, now let's see the parts that are symbolic of everyday Republic-life. I got no problem with it. And as to this being a 'kid show,' really, so was ET. Not to say that I'm expecting ET, but it would be nice.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

This one point, I actually agree with... not becuase I think it's inherently anti-Star Wars, but because no other Star Wars title I've seen has shown me anywhere in the Galaxy Far Far Away that actually looks like a place normal people would want to live.

The writers usually only ever take us to the sterile and lifeless ivory towers of the galaxy's ruling elite, little villages of impoverished dirt farmers out in the arse end of nowhere, and the various flavors of "wretched hive of scum and villainy" like the lower levels of overpopulated ecumenopolises, rundown industrial towns, and shantytowns ruled by crime lords where the galaxy's disreputable individuals hang out.

With that being the norm in Star Wars, this...

... looks like it came from another franchise entirely.

Specifically, Star Trek.

This vista wouldn't feel at all out of place as a suburb on some really nice Federation planet like Earth, Betazed, or Trill.

That's what I was saying; Star Wars seems to stratify cultures in the extreme, as opposed to Star Trek's "Utopia for (Mosly) everyone" theme.

Although to be honest: if we had a scene of Darth Vader in full armor riding a bike down that street on a summer Sunday afternoon, it would be hilarious! :p

That said:

VaderonBike.jpg.afbe948ccd66629d90e4eb4fcb438f70.jpg

7 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

A Spielberg-like kid fantasy. You can watch this show without complaining that kid isn't strong enough to lift a gun that size or in real life that kid die if someone stabbed them with a light saber.

The gun thing gets a pass, but I’d endlessly complain about surviving a lightsaber stab. Jecki would have died for nothing if that happened. Don’t ruin the greatest Starwars moment in recent yearsIMG_2782.jpeg.6f9c1cd24e1772f25b3541335a588bb4.jpeg

Problem with the suburbs it's an invention of our modern world. Star Wars is "the future" from a long time ago. You can have characters visiting a space station or a medieval village with a couple droids walking about and it fits in with the universe. I can think of a good reason for this choice. The target audience is the same age as the kids in the show. Easier for kids watching at home to relate to these characters if their hometown looks the same.

This show is the Anti-Andor. Star Wars has always tried to be for all ages. Something you could watch with the whole family. I found that it fails at this attempt whenever they try to introduce few serious elements they also toss in a few extra silly ones. Creating a confusing tone. Andor was aimed at adults and could deal more mature themes without having to counterbalance for any kids who might be watching. Skeleton Crew might be the exact opposite. 

2 hours ago, Big s said:

The gun thing gets a pass, but I’d endlessly complain about surviving a lightsaber stab. Jecki would have died for nothing if that happened. Don’t ruin the greatest Starwars moment in recent yearsIMG_2782.jpeg.6f9c1cd24e1772f25b3541335a588bb4.jpeg

We should just be thankful the writers didn't give her one of Star Wars's signature on-the-nose names like "Sheez Gun Di" or "Perforat Eed".

(And if you think that joke is too far, I'd like to remind you The Clone Wars had a Jedi Master named "Ima Gun Di"... literally "I'm Gonna Die".)

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Problem with the suburbs it's an invention of our modern world. Star Wars is "the future" from a long time ago. You can have characters visiting a space station or a medieval village with a couple droids walking about and it fits in with the universe. I can think of a good reason for this choice. The target audience is the same age as the kids in the show. Easier for kids watching at home to relate to these characters if their hometown looks the same.

Not just that, it's that suburbs have long been narrative shorthand for a safe (and boring) environment.

Cities are stereotyped as dangerous places where crime, and especially violent crime, is far more commonplace (even when it's not actually true).  The suburbs, on the other hand, are stereotyped as a safe space away from the dangers and stresses of the city.  They're the epitome of uneventful living.  That's why so many horror franchises are set in suburbs, because they're supposed to be safe spaces away from Bad Things and taking away that safe space is part of what invokes the fear.

These kids crave adventure because they're growing up in the suburbs, a safe place away from anything exciting or dangerous.

6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

We should just be thankful the writers didn't give her one of Star Wars's signature on-the-nose names like "Sheez Gun Di" or "Perforat Eed".

I actually have to look it up every time I mention her because I don’t really remember anyone’s name in that show. Sheeza Peenkoo Shon would have been easier to remember 

The characters have to start from someplace, and being a kid show, the 'suburbs' (basically any area around the outskirts of a city and we know those exist in the SW Universe) is a nice and safe looking place to start. It's another thing like the Goonies, where we start in a peaceful town before tossing the kids on a dangerous adventure, or ET, or even Poltergeist, though in that they didn't have to go anywhere for things to get freaky.

14 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

That's what I was saying; Star Wars seems to stratify cultures in the extreme, as opposed to Star Trek's "Utopia for (Mosly) everyone" theme.

Although to be honest: if we had a scene of Darth Vader in full armor riding a bike down that street on a summer Sunday afternoon, it would be hilarious! :p

That said:

That's great!!

15 hours ago, Big s said:

[...] Sheeza Peenkoo Shon [...]

... sh*t that's a good one.

Have you considered applying for a writing position with Disney LucasFilm?

18 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

That said:

Honestly... that is a way funnier image than it should be.

The mental image of Darth Vader choosing to live in a nice three-bedroom house in a quiet suburban neighborhood somewhere instead of brooding eternally in his lava-lit Doom Fortress on Mustafar like a video game final boss is inherently funny for some reason.  Like, imagine buying the house next door not knowing that your new neighbor was Darth-freaking-Vader and discovering that the Emperor's merciless and universally feared enforcer keeps an immaculate lawn, decorates his yard with incredibly precise topiaries cut using his lightsaber, is a committed recycler and composter to reduce waste, and naturally chairs the homeowner's association meetings.  

Spoiler

Just think of the yuks we'd get from a pack of terrified senior Imperial officers dragooned into attending a barbeque in Vader's backyard just being increasingly weirded out as they try to figure out if this is some kind of extremely roundabout buildup to their execution for some petty offense... only to learn that no, the Dark Lord was just looking for an excuse to fire up all the burners on the new grill he got on sale at Space Lowe's last week.

Or bumping into Lord Vader out shopping as he unsuccessfully tries to coerce a grocery clerk from Watto's species into lowering the price of avocados because he really wants to make fresh guac tonight.  "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."  "That's not how coupons work, my lord.  Mind tricks don't work on me, only money!"

Or watching him get his titles mixed up and introducing himself to a pack of terrified rebel soldiers as the Chairman of the Coruscant Hills Neighborhood Beautification Committee and hastily correcting himself.

Give us that show, Disney, instead of off-brand Star Trek: Prodigy.  Robot Chicken made it work, I'm sure you can do it too.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

19 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The mental image of Darth Vader choosing to live in a nice three-bedroom house in a quiet suburban neighborhood somewhere instead of brooding eternally in his lava-lit Doom Fortress on Mustafar like a video game final boss is inherently funny for some reason.  Like, imagine buying the house next door not knowing that your new neighbor was Darth-freaking-Vader and discovering that the Emperor's merciless and universally feared enforcer keeps an immaculate lawn, decorates his yard with incredibly precise topiaries cut using his lightsaber, is a committed recycler and composter to reduce waste, and naturally chairs the homeowner's association meetings.  

Hide contents

Just think of the yuks we'd get from a pack of terrified senior Imperial officers dragooned into attending a barbeque in Vader's backyard just being increasingly weirded out as they try to figure out if this is some kind of extremely roundabout buildup to their execution for some petty offense... only to learn that no, the Dark Lord was just looking for an excuse to fire up all the burners on the new grill he got on sale at Space Lowe's last week.

Or bumping into Lord Vader out shopping as he unsuccessfully tries to coerce a grocery clerk from Watto's species into lowering the price of avocados because he really wants to make fresh guac tonight.  "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."  "That's not how coupons work, my lord.  Mind tricks don't work on me, only money!"

Or watching him get his titles mixed up and introducing himself to a pack of terrified rebel soldiers as the Chairman of the Coruscant Hills Neighborhood Beautification Committee and hastily correcting himself.

Give us that show, Disney, instead of off-brand Star Trek: Prodigy.  Robot Chicken made it work, I'm sure you can do it too.

Glad I could get a laugh out of you Seto! Best 45 minutes I've spent in Photoshop in  a long time! :D

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, that sounds like an 80’s horror film backstory. Dudes just trying to make things seem normal, then one day he snaps and a neighbor gets force choked. But someone sees him digging a grave in the back yard. He’s somehow convinced the neighbors wife that her husband ran off with another woman as an alibi. And nobody believes the one who witnessed the burial. Somehow the witness comes across evidence that their neighbor that has been telling people that he wears the mask to hide his war wounds was guilty of extreme war crimes, but only his best friends start to slowly believe 

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I would, but I really can’t top Porkins or Kid Molester, I mean Kit Fisto

• 1 month later...