Unix Square Robotech VF-1J

6 minutes ago, Big s said:

I hadn’t seen it from overhead, could it be that they’re supposed to be pushed inwards and this is just slightly mistransformed

Something odd is going on that intake. Seems to be attached via like a swivel mechanism. In Guardian mode it is way more separated from the chest plate and closer to the fuselage

Screenshot_20240727-1049012.png.831c2a2fbf30ed8151b0da20f54d88ed.png

Edited by Froy

Honestly like this refreshing take on the VF-1.

Battroid looks like it will be fun to mess around with and as already mentioned fighter gives of a VF-2SS vibe – a more futuristic spacecraft, that can't be a bad thing.

The stylization I'm kind of ambivalent about.  It's a different look, more of a Gundam/Armored Core aesthetic, instead of being a pure transforming aircraft design.  Interesting in battroid/gerwalk, but it's definitely not doing fighter mode any favors.  Just looks sloppily slapped together, very much like the VF-2SS in both good and bad ways.

Interesting detail on the legs to make them beefier though, it looks like the entire inside panel collapses to give the arms more room.

7 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Interesting detail on the legs to make them beefier though, it looks like the entire inside panel collapses to give the arms more room.

The 1j in battroid appears to have those panels popped out all the way, while the 1S and 1A have them popped in on the above pictures

There’s a lot of weird stuff going on with this thing. It looks like it even uses an updated version of the old Chunky Monkey style swing bar.

Edited by mark-1s

11 hours ago, Froy said:

Hmm

Those intakes placement look out from a VF-2SS, very far away from the fuselage.

img_1_1722090245552.jpg.7082e1891cbefda8b85899610bfc93e1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?id=100064184163387&story_fbid=870904095059055

I really love that over head pic of fighter. Thanks Froy for posting. On a stand banking on an angle, taking photos from above. I think that'd look pretty good!!

I am really enjoying this time, I Love that we are getting the venerable VF-1 from multiple companies, and they are all different in their execution.  Looking at this design, I am really enjoying it.  I agree that it has the Vf-2SS vibe going on, but for me, that makes it that much more appealing!.  I hope that these are available outside of Hong Kong, or even better, since they are under the Robotech name, available at local physical stores!  I would drive to Target or Walmart to get me a VF-1J!  We shall see what the future brings!

Twich

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 7:24 PM, no3Ljm said:

Also, from this photo, are we seeing some preview of what parts are going to go yellow first? :rolleyes:

US Transformable VF-1.jpg

I agree with everyone else on this (Hard Pass) but the differences also make me think that the makers (and probably Harmony Gold, since they would have to sign off on this) took a cue from Cataylist Game Labs's propose to the Reseen art work for Battletech.

Think about it, a moment. HG can't use any of the original art designs for SDFM-TV or DYRL. Is this HG's means to get around that? Or I am just looking at this wrong? Personally, I'm not sure if that was the goal (CGL's goal was to be able to use designs similar to the classic unseen but not exact/improved upon, which is why they succeed because Battletechs fans are mostly like 'Project Phoenix whut?' when it comes to PP designs to the current art used in the current post kickstarter era we are in). 

On 7/27/2024 at 12:52 PM, Froy said:

Something odd is going on that intake. Seems to be attached via like a swivel mechanism. In Guardian mode it is way more separated from the chest plate and closer to the fuselage

Screenshot_20240727-1049012.png.831c2a2fbf30ed8151b0da20f54d88ed.png

Random thought: This looks more like the VF-2SS as I look at this (like if the VF-2SS came out first then as a prequel, the VF-1J Dox?)

I maybe in the minority, but I think the more companies that we have making VF-1, Mospeada ride armors and legioss/tread transformable mecha, the better it is.  I happen to like this.  If it is 1/60 scale, or bigger, then so much the better.  I am a little leery about the 1/18 scale Legioss, but I am really liking it and hope it is easily available.

Twich

I like the stylized take and here's the "but" those fu¢k'n intakes are atrocious! Everything else looks like it went through the A-10 Warthog filter  which is daring for Square's rendition. They really need take a second try on the intakes. If they could marry the VF-2SS 's intake layout then I might be captivated to purchase but for now it's a "hard pass" Sorry, a little too overdone. Take it back!

Edited by graphic revolt

• 1 month later...