Best 3D printer for Macross prints...

Jasonc

So this beast of a machine showed up 2 days ago, and I've been spending the last day and a half creating the space for it. This is the Form 4. It has a few things that separate it from the standard hobby printer. It can print extremely well like all newer resin printers, but there is a mixer that is Integra in the vat that allows resins with bead and other filament to not settle. It also has a specific peel sheet that allows for a separation of around 30% less force, and the LCD HAS a ridged top to add to this. It means light supports. It's midsized like a hobby printer, but is a commercial grade. The resin available for it is literally unmatched, but it can use the basic stuff as well. I have several liters of their Tough 2000 (it matches ABS in every way) and one that allows a lot of flex. I'll be printing a few of my designs using the new printer and resin, but if any of you want files printed on it, I can give you quotes on pricing and shipping. I can also look at working out options with some of you, but now that I have a large printer, a DLP small printer, and now one that can print more exotic materials,  I think I'm set on resin printers for a good while.

20240627_111115.jpg.a60a5302dd5850b223bc2d7092155ebe.jpg

On 6/27/2024 at 1:54 PM, Bolt said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what this baby can do.

I'll post up some pics a little later of the parts I printed, but it does do some pretty cool timelapses from the camera. I will say that the latest Preform software that they use for this printer does some amazing work for the auto supports, with breakoff supports that don't leave divets. 

Now I just need to position some of these timelapse videos so that the best parts show on the camera side. These printed parts are now in a heated cure station, and when I get home from work, they should be toasty and ready to do the final smoothing out.

7 hours ago, Jasonc said:

I'll post up some pics a little later of the parts I printed, but it does do some pretty cool timelapses from the camera. I will say that the latest Preform software that they use for this printer does some amazing work for the auto supports, with breakoff supports that don't leave divets. 

Now I just need to position some of these timelapse videos so that the best parts show on the camera side. These printed parts are now in a heated cure station, and when I get home from work, they should be toasty and ready to do the final smoothing out.

That's really cool !

On 6/30/2024 at 5:04 PM, The Original Cobywan said:

I wonder, are there any of the Formlab's resins that don't work with the new machine?

As for Resin, I think the only limitation for the way the system works in using it in whole, would be the older resins that weren't put in the new bottles that feed it. That seems to be only because they're phasing those out for the better performing new resins. That said, they should still be able to be poured into the tank directly. I totally forgot to post pics of what I printed so far, but I will say that I'm thoroughly impressed with the strength of the Tough 2000 material. I have worked with many other resins, and this is by far, a serious engineering style resin made to work with mechanical properties.

15 hours ago, Jasonc said:

As for Resin, I think the only limitation for the way the system works in using it in whole, would be the older resins that weren't put in the new bottles that feed it. That seems to be only because they're phasing those out for the better performing new resins. That said, they should still be able to be poured into the tank directly. I totally forgot to post pics of what I printed so far, but I will say that I'm thoroughly impressed with the strength of the Tough 2000 material. I have worked with many other resins, and this is by far, a serious engineering style resin made to work with mechanical properties.

Sounds good; last resin 3d print I got broke fairly easily (too brittle).