Macross Plus Ultimate Edition Blu-ray Release Thread

10 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Did it stack and give you 30% off or just the 15?

It's 15 off the discounted price if you stack it with the Crunchyroll member discount, as far as I can tell.

Crunchyroll's member discount shaves $19 off the top, bringing it to $170.99 plus tax and with free shipping.

26 minutes ago, azrael said:

$190 for 2 discs and a bunch of paper? Yeah...No.

And It's just the 4-episode OAV. Not even "+Movie edition". Some "Ultimate Edition".

Not worth it unless they drop the price or can reduce the price with a coupon. 

Just FYI it says it has both the movie and the ova

But that sure is expensive! 

The stupid Japanese one has gone for 28000 plus yen forever...never drops. Maybe this is the price point I'd have to do to ever get this set lol

15 minutes ago, Shawn said:

The stupid Japanese one has gone for 28000 plus yen forever...never drops. Maybe this is the price point I'd have to do to ever get this set lol

Funny, with the current exchange rate.. that's about the same price as the new release. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Funny, with the current exchange rate.. that's about the same price as the new release. :lol: 

... so it is.

$179.66 at the current rate of 1:155.85, so if you get all the discounts the US release is slightly cheaper than the Japanese one... and you won't have to pay another $40 or so on top in shipping.

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Must have missed that. Still a bit steep for $190. Still hard to justify for $190. If there was a disc-only release with no artbook, that would fit my interest.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do that later, but what I would like clarified is the situation with the dub.. and it's probably been discussed before.  Did they lose the original dub audio for episode 4?  The way this one is described sounds like it has two dub options for that episode.

Really though, I'm mostly just happy to see the old Manga subs back for the movie version.  The re-translation for the 2013 release felt weird after growing up with the other one.

Posted (edited)

This is the response on twitter.

1000253181.png.1d4364c17ecbf98c1fafc79edfb709c1.png

Which I take as the OVA being a box exclusive. Considering how much better of a deal the Ii kickstarter is (regular sized box + artbook + 4k & 2k + OVA & movie cuts] I'm not ecstatic about this....but I'll get it. What I will not do however is support their release of Zero, I'm quite fine with the recent Japanese release on that.

As for the french edition, they're being very quiet as to whether these different shop releases are region locked, but I wouldn't risk it. I did pick up tjeir Gundam movie 4k pre-order though (which is also cheaper), since 4k doesn't have region locks.

Edited by Keith

41 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they do that later, but what I would like clarified is the situation with the dub.. and it's probably been discussed before.  Did they lose the original dub audio for episode 4?  The way this one is described sounds like it has two dub options for that episode.

Really though, I'm mostly just happy to see the old Manga subs back for the movie version.  The re-translation for the 2013 release felt weird after growing up with the other one.

That was an old Manga Video issue from tje VHS release. The U.S. had the same cast on ep 4, but different SFX & music que's because of some issue Manga was having getting the raw audio, the UK release had propper SFX/music, but a different cast.

6 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

I wonder what is different about the french edition.
Translation only says the following: "Exclusive edition at the AllTheAnime publisher store:
French variant limited to 200 copies"

I see now, the french ultimate edition is limited to 200.
They also have a non-ultimate edition.
https://www.alltheanime.fr/collections/macross-plus

Screenshot 2024-06-06 165650.png

With the everlasting lack of any good Macross + merchandise, other than the wonderful valkyries ^_^
"Forever have been waiting for a Sharon Apple resin kit or figure....."

The artbook is a selling point for me, I have no idea what they can fill 184 pages with, lets just hope it's not fanart.
The pamphlet that came with the Japanese box was pretty good in its small glory.

4 minutes ago, Mommar said:

How to convince a fan to not buy something... make it $100 too expensive.

Considering how many folks here cheerfully plonk down comparable (and larger) sums for the latest DX Chogokin and Arcadia offerings, I'm not sure this could be called "$100 too expensive" for most.

And there's going to be a regular edition coming out a bit after the "Ultimate" one at a far more reasonable price point anyway.

Media I've had of Macross Plus:
1. Bootleg VHS of the OAV's shipped from friend in Japan.
2. Japanese LD releases, OAV.
3. Japanese Laserdisc, Movie edition
4. Manga Video US Laserdiscs.
5. Manga Video DVD's
6. Japanese Blu-Ray box.
😵‍💫I have a problem........

Now this damn thing, finally a decent artbook, but we shall see.

54 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Considering how many folks here cheerfully plonk down comparable (and larger) sums for the latest DX Chogokin and Arcadia offerings, I'm not sure this could be called "$100 too expensive" for most.

And there's going to be a regular edition coming out a bit after the "Ultimate" one at a far more reasonable price point anyway.

LOW for engineering/manufacture of the toys is significantly different.  And All-the-anime are selling it for the equivalent of $127 (which is still too high for a few discs and a book).  Crunchyroll are fleecing us.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Mommar said:

LOW for engineering/manufacture of the toys is significantly different.  And All-the-anime are selling it for the equivalent of $127 (which is still too high for a few discs and a book).  Crunchyroll are fleecing us.

True,
I'll eat my hat if stuff like this is in the artbook:

sharon_apple___macross_plus_by_zatransis_demruxf-fullview.jpg

Edited by oshanmacross

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Eh... not s'much.  You're forgetting that those European prices aren't all-inclusive either.

You've forgotten the Value Added Tax.  The base price might say 99.99 GBP, but that's 119.99 GBP with VAT factored in, or about $153.47 at the current exchange rate.  The French are paying 139.99 euro for the same, which is $152.52.  (VAT's 20% in the UK and France, if you were wondering... while US sales tax averages 5-7%.)  And that's only considering the "early bird special" pricing with limited unit numbers in smaller markets... the suggested retail price that they list is actually almost exactly we'd be paying without discounts (~$190).

Crunchyroll is basically charging non-subscribers a premium to order it through their store... but if you actually use the discount codes the price delta between what we're paying and what our friends in Europe are paying is only about $19 US.  That's hardly extortionate.  (Esp. when you consider how much more they likely had to pay for the legacy English audio tracks.)

(For anyone wondering, I did go in and set up dummy orders to check the actual prices... I used 10 Downing Street and 57 Rue de Varenne as addresses to check if there'd be shipping costs, it seems we all get free shipping out of this extravagant price tag.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

15 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh... not s'much.  You're forgetting that those European prices aren't all-inclusive either.

You've forgotten the Value Added Tax.  The base price might say 99.99 GBP, but that's 119.99 GBP with VAT factored in, or about $153.47 at the current exchange rate.  The French are paying 139.99 euro for the same, which is $152.52.  (VAT's 20% in the UK and France, if you were wondering... while US sales tax averages 5-7%.)  And that's only considering the "early bird special" pricing with limited unit numbers in smaller markets... the suggested retail price that they list is actually almost exactly we'd be paying without discounts (~$190).

Crunchyroll is basically charging non-subscribers a premium to order it through their store... but if you actually use the discount codes the price delta between what we're paying and what our friends in Europe are paying is only about $19 US.  That's hardly extortionate.  (Esp. when you consider how much more they likely had to pay for the legacy English audio tracks.)

(For anyone wondering, I did go in and set up dummy orders to check the actual prices... I used 10 Downing Street and 57 Rue de Varenne as addresses to check if there'd be shipping costs, it seems we all get free shipping out of this extravagant price tag.)

Wow, very comprehensive, good work!
I'd expect nothing else from someone into Cryptography.
I'm still trying to figure out IPV6 ^_^

In the end how many people are REALLY gonna buy this?
I say very few. 

19 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No, I actually haven't forgotten VAT.  Or the fact they add on other taxes if the item isn't produced inside their borders.  Really, it SHOULD be even cheaper.  Which means Crunchyroll are fleecing us even more.

17 minutes ago, Mommar said:

No, I actually haven't forgotten VAT.  Or the fact they add on other taxes if the item isn't produced inside their borders.  Really, it SHOULD be even cheaper.  Which means Crunchyroll are fleecing us even more.

You clearly did, considering you forgot to account for it in the final price you converted to US dollars. 

As for why it's so expensive, I think the obvious answer is this is a low volume product by dint of being limited edition. They have to amortize the costs for licensing all of that additional material in the purchase price If they want to make a profit.

Just reading r/macross, which is also quoting the Anime UK Discord...

Hanners from Anime Limited responded, "There's no Collector's Edition planned for English-speaking territories, at least for the foreseeable future (for the next 12 months at least after release of this). Standard edition of the Movie Edition will follow sooner after the Ultimate, probably 3 months or so.

He also said "And yes, we have rights for a whole bunch of territories outside of Japan. That's why the Collector's Edition SKU exists, to serve non-English speaking markets that don't have the history with Macross Plus that North America and the UK do.

When the low-cost option comes out (in +/- 3 months after this release) it will be Movie-version only. English-speaking territories will not get the OAVs for at least +/- 12 months (and even that is a MAYBE). The Collector's Edition (which is what I want cuz it has the OAVs+Movie Ed), is France/EU-only, for the foreseeable future.

The only way I see myself getting the Ultimate Edition is if it's a Black Friday-special+coupon.

Doing some math and guessing, I would say a supposed-English territories Collectors Edition would be priced around $89.99. Maybe $99.99. So the added artbook, postcards and other random bits of paper and box add ~$100. Yeah, still not seeing the value. Give the English-speaking territories the Collectors Edition and I would happily pay full price. I just want the discs. I don't care about the artbook + other random pieces of cardboard and paper.

13 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

I wonder what is different about the french edition.
Translation only says the following: "Exclusive edition at the AllTheAnime publisher store:
French variant limited to 200 copies"

As a French guy, I can answer. Our ultimate edition will include French discs with our old French dub and refresh subs. That's the only difference. The 180-pages artbook will still remain in English.

Anyway, Crunchyroll's price is the UK price without the early bid offer. Feel sorry for you guys. IMO that's a bad move since the US are the main target in the west. They should have made a cheapest collector's edition alongside the ultimate one like they're doing for us.

47 minutes ago, SSK said:

As a French guy, I can answer. Our ultimate edition will include French discs with our old French dub and refresh subs. That's the only difference. The 180-pages artbook will still remain in English.

Anyway, Crunchyroll's price is the UK price without the early bid offer. Feel sorry for you guys. IMO that's a bad move since the US are the main target in the west. They should have made a cheapest collector's edition alongside the ultimate one like they're doing for us.

But you have:
Les Maitres Du Temps (The Masters of Time)
^_^

I am not happy at all about this, having waited around a year since the initial news only to find this extremely expensive and a good 50 dollars more than what the UK is paying for it.  I am not buying this at this gouge and those of us who are upset about it should let them know on their socials. It probably won't change anything, but at least let them know that we think they suck.  

30 minutes ago, Cowboy17v2 said:

I am not happy at all about this, having waited around a year since the initial news only to find this extremely expensive and a good 50 dollars more than what the UK is paying for it.

If you use the coupon codes previously mentioned, the price difference is only about $19, not $50.

Way too many people here are blowing this out of proportion.

Limited Edition releases are ALWAYS stupidly expensive, especially for anime, and most of the price difference people are seeing is because the US release is being sold at MSRP if you don't use the discount codes and because the UK price posted doesn't include VAT until you actually put it in your cart.

I think it would have been nice if a Disc only set (with the Movie and OVA) was offered along with the Ultimate Set at the same time. Then people would have choice now instead of later and possible missing out. I feel that would have solved a lot of issues. 

I am still very happy to see this actually being released to fans outside of Japan and looking forward to watching the Ultimate edition at home. I hope more Macross series are soon follow. 

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

You clearly did, considering you forgot to account for it in the final price you converted to US dollars. 

As for why it's so expensive, I think the obvious answer is this is a low volume product by dint of being limited edition. They have to amortize the costs for licensing all of that additional material in the purchase price If they want to make a profit.

We don't have VAT here, why would I take that into account of the base price?  VAT is NOT a measure of the cost of the item+profit but purely what the European countries want to pile on top after the fact to pay for all of their "free" stuff.  We don't have that here, nor do we have massive tariff's on media produced outside of the country.  Crunchyroll just decided to fleece us.