Christ. 😒

NETFLIX gives us a CG-animated Transformers series set on Cybertron in the distant past, with all the characters looking exactly G1, and it's appropriately dark and serious... but so frustratingly hamstrung by its limited budget that every voice actor is a non-union hack and every character model gets reused ad nauseum.

Paramount gives us a CG-animated Transformers film set on Cybertron in the distant past, with all the characters looking generic and childish, and it's wall-to-wall jokes... but so well-funded that every voice actor is an established movie star, and so heavily-marketed that a whole generation of kids will associate juvenile humour with the brand.

After 40 years of this franchise, it's sad to realize that James Roberts' run on IDW comics (and Transformers: Prime on television) was the pinnacle of the brand... and it's all been downhill for the last decade and change. 😐

On 9/18/2024 at 12:50 PM, tekering said:

Christ. 😒

NETFLIX gives us a CG-animated Transformers series set on Cybertron in the distant past, with all the characters looking exactly G1, and it's appropriately dark and serious... but so frustratingly hamstrung by its limited budget that every voice actor is a non-union hack and every character model gets reused ad nauseum.

Paramount gives us a CG-animated Transformers film set on Cybertron in the distant past, with all the characters looking generic and childish, and it's wall-to-wall jokes... but so well-funded that every voice actor is an established movie star, and so heavily-marketed that a whole generation of kids will associate juvenile humour with the brand.

After 40 years of this franchise, it's sad to realize that James Roberts' run on IDW comics (and Transformers: Prime on television) was the pinnacle of the brand... and it's all been downhill for the last decade and change. 😐

while i don't disagree with a lot of what you said - the important part for the brand is that a whole new generation of kids will KNOW transformers the brand - even if they associate it with childish humor.  from there as those kids get older, it can get more serious...hopefully.  or perhaps we forever stuck in the ROTJ conundrum where EWOKS are deemed needed and things were never the same.  that being said without those Ewoks maybe SW as a franchise wouldn't have made it.  Maybe the same can be said about TF.  The netflix series, i liked the tone, but didn't like the character depictions (or voice talent), particularly optimus.  jetfire was finally awesome though.  we will see if this comedy centric action buddy movie will bring the brand forward soon enough.  btw, i agree TF prime was a super high point in the franchise (despite not liking the designs that much....they were ok but almost have nostalgia for them arleady, lol).  anyway, i remain optimistic.

Honestly don’t get people having issues with a franchise intended to sell toys to kids….

i went in expectations low, and I wasn’t displeased at all. Sure it didn’t need this flashy A lister voice cast but I get why and live with it. 

Spoiler

The movie didn’t feel dull or boring and there was a nice nod to classics character backgrounds with Orion at the archives. I also got a laugh at Keegan’s aatron joke. And the downfall of D-16 to a bad guy fit very well going from idolizing sentinel to absolutely hating him then going overboard with it all.

Steven Busemi being Starscream for me, fell flat. I felt you could have had ANYONE play that role and just not care for the 5 lines spoken. 

still, I’d buy this movie no doubt about it for the collection. 

Took my daughter to see it this morning. It's definitely no '86 movie (which honestly still holds up), but it's definitely the best Transformers movie since then, and probably the best Transformers animation product since Prime (though I agree with @tekering that Transformers peaked with Roberts' run at IDW).

That said, I hope there's a Transformers Two, because

Spoiler

the Quintessons are set up to be this huge threat that the Transformers were at war with, and that war only ended when Sentinel sold them out. But once Pax and friends learn about Sentinel's betrayal the rest of the movie is focused on taking him down, and the differences in Pax and D-16's attitudes (Pax wants to undo Sentinel's injustices, D-16 wants to burn it all down and start over without any Primes) that lead to them becoming enemies. But, the Quintesson threat is never resolved.

On 9/21/2024 at 11:59 AM, Hikuro said:

Honestly don’t get people having issues with a franchise intended to sell toys to kids…

It’s probably older folks that grew up with Transformers back when the old show originally aired. It’s a similar thing for people who grew up with G.I. Joe or Thundercats. If you take an established franchise and change it drastically from the nostalgic memories of the old fans, they’re gonna think of it as an attack on their way of thinking or their personal memories in a lot of cases. 
 People freaked out over Thundercats Roar and Teen Titans Go for similar reasons. There’s also the people that feel that they could’ve made a great version of their favorite franchise instead of pouring resources into a goofy version of it instead.                    
 Either way it’s too late and it’s here and some will hate it for existing, others will dislike it after watching and others might actually like it.

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

It’s probably older folks that grew up with Transformers back when the old show originally aired. It’s a similar thing for people who grew up with G.I. Joe or Thundercats. If you take an established franchise and change it drastically from the nostalgic memories of the old fans, they’re gonna think of it as an attack on their way of thinking or their personal memories in a lot of cases. 
 People freaked out over Thundercats Roar and Teen Titans Go for similar reasons. There’s also the people that feel that they could’ve made a great version of their favorite franchise instead of pouring resources into a goofy version of it instead.                    
 Either way it’s too late and it’s here and some will hate it for existing, others will dislike it after watching and others might actually like it.

True.  thunder cats roar and teen titans go, not my cup of tea. I ain't gonna go and bad mouth it though and claim they're hurting the franchise or pandering to a younger audience ruining their once childhood over it though. This wasn't a bad movie at all. Hell I think it was better than the Bay movies which is odd considering that he is still serving as Producer for the franchise and even has credits to this, even Speilberg has credits for this and I think it's just cause they're big shots on the Paramount dowel. 

On 9/21/2024 at 11:59 AM, Hikuro said:

Honestly don’t get people having issues with a franchise intended to sell toys to kids….

I'm not a huge Transformers fan but I mean c'mon...it's perfectly understandable to wish that projects with the aesthetic and story-line you like get the budget and talent they deserve.

And I really hate the sanctimonious invocation of "children's toys" as a shutdown for any and all laments. God forbid an adult want something different than whats on offer from a 40 year old franchise with an entire series of multi-hundred dollar engineering marvels marketed almost exclusively to the "kids" who were alive when it began.

Edited by danth

13 hours ago, danth said:

I'm not a huge Transformers fan but I mean c'mon...it's perfectly understandable to wish that projects with the aesthetic and story-line you like get the budget and talent they deserve.

And I really hate the sanctimonious invocation of "children's toys" as a shutdown for any and all laments. God forbid an adult want something different than whats on offer from a 40 year old franchise with an entire series of multi-hundred dollar engineering marvels marketed almost exclusively to the "kids" who were alive when it began.

We did get something aimed at us adults, 7 of those actually, Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon, Age of Extinction, The Last Night, Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts. We shat on them time and time again, except maybe Bumblebee, I think there was a united voice of enjoyment from adult fans. But still, we got 7 movies, darker, more serious, gritty, and pretty much got 16 years of it.

19 hours ago, Hikuro said:

We did get something aimed at us adults, 7 of those actually, Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon, Age of Extinction, The Last Night, Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts. We shat on them time and time again, except maybe Bumblebee, I think there was a united voice of enjoyment from adult fans. But still, we got 7 movies, darker, more serious, gritty, and pretty much got 16 years of it.

Those were all turds for the most part, but I think the point danth was trying to make was that it’s ok for the fans to hope for something better. The bayformers didn’t have the look or feel of a true transformers project kinda the same way the G.I.Joe movies never seemed right or the Bay turtles. 

I really liked this movie. My son who is 8, absolutely loved it. I think that’s what it’s all about with movies like this. Appealing to the young generation to keep this property alive and strong for years to come so we can continue to buy new stuff for us old guys :)

Took my son (7) and daughter (10) to see TRANSFORMERS ONE today. My son was indifferent but my daughter really enjoyed it, especially the action scenes. I enjoyed it too, way better than I expected. Lots of lore and myth from the Transformers universe too.

Excited and curious to see what TRANSFORMERS TWO brings.

My wife and I went to see it today and I enjoyed it. I'm sure I probably missed a few, but I enjoyed the peppering of references and use of characters from other continuities beyond G1. There were certainly liberties taken with the lore, but ultimately it was an easy story to follow, and it made sense. I think it had greater impact beginning as a buddy film and showing the rift grow as D16 becomes Megatron. It was full of tropes, but ultimately, I thought it was a fun enjoyable film which I can't say about any of the Bay films.

I can see where a lot of G1 fans might not like it, but it's not meant to be G1. It nods to G1 a fair bit, but it's its own tale, and I thought it was told well enough. The actors all did a good job with their parts, and I think it comes through that they were having a good time as well. I enjoyed the visual language of the film- I couldn't help but think it a precarious technology to have the train track form only feet in front of the train while it's in motion. 

Spoiler

Huge liberties were taken with the Quintessons, and their lack of the multiple faces, which was their hallmark feature, was a little disappointing. I thought it was interesting, however, that they were portrayed as biological creatures and even their ship looked biological. The explanation for most bots' lack of transformation cogs added an extra layer of evil to the overarching plot. NGL, I was kinda onboard with Megatron's idea of 'justice' in that regard.

I'm with @TangledThorns in the hopes that there'll be another film or possibly a series. I thought it a fun visit to one universe in the multiverse of Transformers and both my wife and I would like to extend our stay.

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Excited and curious to see what TRANSFORMERS TWO brings.

Not sure if the numbers were there to give a green light for a second movie, but I could see them try a Netflix series or something

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Doubt it'll be NETFLIX as this is a Paramount film. Maybe Paramount+? But still, T1 deserves a sequel.

Some of the paramount stuff has been turning up on Netflix and by the time an animated series finishes production, I kinda doubt Paramount plus will still be around 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Some of the paramount stuff has been turning up on Netflix and by the time an animated series finishes production, I kinda doubt Paramount plus will still be around 

I hope its around, I just signed up for another year at 50% off!! LOL.

Paramount+ is good, especially if you like Taylor Sheridan's work.

Yeah I saw this this weekend as well with my cousin's kid and we loved it, great new start to another series of films free of the inarguably terrible Bay-verse continuity. Really fun film, great voice actors, there was more heart and character in this one film then all the live action films combined, I enjoyed it. 

On 9/29/2024 at 6:37 PM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I took my boys out for this one, and they had a blast.  I liked Pax's "hero shot" that called back to the '86 movie as Prime leaps in the air while using his blaster, and of course Elta's jab saying that Pax neither has "the touch or the power" ^_^

Yep, I caught both of those references, too. 😄 Guessing the writers Barrer and Ferrari are fans given all the references, knowledge of the lore, and characters across the franchise. 

Spoiler

I definitely did not expect Airachnid to even be mentioned, let alone play such a large supporting role.

It's a really well-done Transformers film, and I think more fans owe it to themselves to check it out. It's unhampered by human antics, focused purely on  Cybertronians and Cybertron, and serves as a prequel to all that came after, at least in one corner of the multiverse. Speaking presciently, I think it'll be looked upon kindlier over time, just like the '86 film.

• 3 weeks later...

It would seem next tuesday will be the digital release of the film. But what's odd is I can't find any confirmation just supposed rumors and a lot of those rumors are based how lacking the film did in theaters. Which I honestly call BS on as we now have D&W, Romulus and Beetlejuice 2 already out digitally and those time frames weren't to far from their theatrical releases...I just see it as the sign of the times. If you wanna see it now, see it in theaters or just wait a month or two, not 3-6-9 months like it used to be.