13 minutes ago, Thom said:

I'm sure they'll like it too. Definitely Sat morning cartoon fare.

I don’t know if it’s good enough for Saturday mornings. Looks more like PBS kids. Like maybe the Arthur crowd more than the action cartoons crowd

1 hour ago, CoryHolmes said:

Damn, I'm always on the opposite side of sentiment on this site, because this trailer looks awesome to me!

I guess I'll just have to enjoy watching it on behalf of everyone here! :p

If you kindly let us know what you liked about the trailer, we can ruin it for you so you can become a bitter a.. hole like the rest of us. You’ll benefit from saving money on ticket prices for movies, but you’ll start grumbling at the freebies 

4 hours ago, Big s said:

If you kindly let us know what you liked about the trailer, we can ruin it for you so you can become a bitter a.. hole like the rest of us. You’ll benefit from saving money on ticket prices for movies, but you’ll start grumbling at the freebies 

Please, I'm a Robotech fan.  Bitter a**hole comes with the territory in that fandom! :lol:

I just really like the banter between not-Megs and not-Prime.  It's going to be fascinating to watch as these two friends grow apart into the bitter enemies we know today.  I also like the (so far) lack of humans to get in the way.

My immediate reaction was WTF Is this generic trailer and song?  BB is basically Toad from Mario bros movie and something about Megatron I don’t like.  Maybe it’s his face, lips, attitude but his voice doesn’t match in my head even for a younger version.  I realize this is not G1 continuity.  It’s bumblebee movie continuity which we know there is no real continuity in these movies.  They want that Mario bros money, fair enough, but I don’t think this will get it there.  We’ll see.

Anyway my 5 yr old daughter was laughing with it. She is probably still too young for the intended audience, but she’s seen some G1, prime, BW, and watches rescue bots so she knows who’s who.  She wanted to watch the trailer multiple times.

My wife is not a big TF fan, but she knows I am and thought the trailer was great in that you can finally see a more relatable side to Optimus.  As she put it, Optimus is always out of reach. He is an authority figure that you looked up to, but you never really knew him.. he’s the boss you don’t know how far you can tell dirty jokes before he fires you.  Which I’d argue is a good thing.  Anyway I don’t want to get deep into how he’s millions of (now) men’s robot dad. 

I already accepted that everything I loved growing up will be destroyed or $ht on.  I feel like Danny Glover “I’m too old for this $ht” I don’t like, but I don’t want to spend time and energy hating it. I wont spend money or time on it.  That’s my general attitude towards current media.

1 hour ago, Negotiator said:

My wife is not a big TF fan, but she knows I am and thought the trailer was great in that you can finally see a more relatable side to Optimus.  As she put it, Optimus is always out of reach. He is an authority figure that you looked up to, but you never really knew him.. he’s the boss you don’t know how far you can tell dirty jokes before he fires you.  Which I’d argue is a good thing.

You know, there's an interesting story to be told there. Optimus is a military leader on a planet so thoroughly wracked by war that everyone who hasn't left is a soldier. And he's a major religious figure on top of it. He is PROFOUNDLY isolated.

And were I writing this story, I'd lean into the Transformers' inevitabl  association with humans. They offer something Optimus hasn't had much of in a long time, someone he can speak with as an equal.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

We are now basically our grandparents, shaking our heads at the changing world and the youth growing up in it.:p

And yelling at the gosh-darn whippersnappers on our lawn!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I definitely hate the faces, and Megatron and OP being bro-ey, and every deviation this will inevitably take from established canon. 

But I think this movie is going to be perfectly fine, if you can ignore the sacrilege. Most animated "kids" movies these days have better writing and stories than live action movies.

Definitely haven't kept up with Transformers in the... wow that's a long time... since the original cartoon went off the air when I was a kid.

This looks so much like the cartoon I remember from childhood that I'm getting a little nostalgic just from the posters.  I might go see this just for nostalgia's sake.  Maybe take the nieces and nephews.  Everyone's a bit smoother, but even the chiseled corners on the faces are still there a little bit.

Spoiler

This one hopefully won't involve all my favorite characters from childhood getting brutally murdered in the first twenty minutes like the last time...

If they were going to have one character going against the grain of the others, alt modes; wouldn't it have made more sense to have made it Megatron? Not like it's a secret that he will go his own way when compared to the other poster bots.  

could be wrong but off the top of my head I see Tigertracks, Arcee, Ironhide, Sideswipe, Redalert, and I think Brawn. 

And yaknow what, that music was reminding me of Beast Machines.

So many grumbles! I'm 53, watched G1 's premier in Sept '84, and have been a fan since.  I'm also a fan of Beast Wars, Animated, and Prime as well as Cyberverse. I vehemently despise the Bay films, but I liked the Bumblebee Movie- at least it had heart and wasn't dominated by a psychopathic Optimus Prime. This looks to have heart, and humor, abounding. It's decidedly not G1, and I'm fine with it. Between the various series, films, games, and comics over the years, this franchise has proven to have room for many iterations, generally only linked by virtue of the main characters' names if little else. I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good film- I already like it far, far better than any of the thoroughly abysmal Bay films, and I think if one gives it consideration outside of the lens of G1, it'll prove to be a fun addition to the Transformers lore and filmography. I'm keeping my outlook positive.

6 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

So many grumbles! I'm 53, watched G1 's premier in Sept '84, and have been a fan since.  I'm also a fan of Beast Wars, Animated, and Prime as well as Cyberverse. I vehemently despise the Bay films, but I liked the Bumblebee Movie- at least it had heart and wasn't dominated by a psychopathic Optimus Prime. This looks to have heart, and humor, abounding. It's decidedly not G1, and I'm fine with it. Between the various series, films, games, and comics over the years, this franchise has proven to have room for many iterations, generally only linked by virtue of the main characters' names if little else. I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a good film- I already like it far, far better than any of the thoroughly abysmal Bay films, and I think if one gives it consideration outside of the lens of G1, it'll prove to be a fun addition to the Transformers lore and filmography. I'm keeping my outlook positive.

Right there with you and taking my children to see it. It's more about their opinion than mine, I'm just along for the ride. That being said its cool to know there may be a new generation of Transformers fans made from this film.

11 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Right there with you and taking my children to see it. It's more about their opinion than mine, I'm just along for the ride. That being said its cool to know there may be a new generation of Transformers fans made from this film.

I hope you all enjoy it. I'm looking forward to it. I figure every iteration of Transformers has been someone's G1, their intro to the franchise. Hopefully the naysayers will get something positive from it, too, b/c you know they're going to go see it regardless. 😄

Saw it last night.  TFCon advanced screening tickets for the win!   It starts off all goofy and kid friendly with Orion Pax, D-13, B and Elita before it starts going dark culminating in someone getting to punch someone else in the face.  Buddy I went with said he might have to wait for home video so he could fast forward some parts for his kid.  

Half the fun was trying to figure out which bots in the background are the ones we know from the G1 crew(s).

Two end credit scenes.  Stay until the end.

7 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Saw it last night.  TFCon advanced screening tickets for the win!   It starts off all goofy and kid friendly with Orion Pax, D-13, B and Elita before it starts going dark culminating in someone getting to punch someone else in the face.  Buddy I went with said he might have to wait for home video so he could fast forward some parts for his kid.  

Half the fun was trying to figure out which bots in the background are the ones we know from the G1 crew(s).

Two end credit scenes.  Stay until the end.

Congrats on early screening and thanks for the heads-up concerning end credits. My wife and I usually stay til the end anyway, but nice to know it won't be for naught. Guessing you liked it/ thought it was good?

3 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I have warmed up to this film.  My problem is I am no a fan of Hollywood actors doing this.  I prefer professional voice actors to do it.  I saw my favorite Male Japanese VA (Nakamura Yuuichi)  is voicing prime.  So I will try to see it in Japanese.

A lot of the reason for this is budget, not because professional VA's get paid more, but because then the studios will throw more money for development and marketing. I agree though, I would rather see an animated film with a good voice over cast, but statistically in hollywood for animated films, they do better with big names versus someone people don't see. 

1 hour ago, Hikuro said:

A lot of the reason for this is budget, not because professional VA's get paid more, but because then the studios will throw more money for development and marketing. I agree though, I would rather see an animated film with a good voice over cast, but statistically in hollywood for animated films, they do better with big names versus someone people don't see. 

My only reluctance with using A-listers to do the voices is if there's a tv series in the works, as they'll undoubtedly resort to using pro VAs. I'm sure the VAs would do a great job, but the difference in voices would be awkward, at least initially. Kinda like Frank Welker's high pitched whiny Galvatron voice after Leonard Nimoy's deeper gravelly delivery. I hated Welker's Galvy voice and his unhinged characterization in the toon. I wouldn't want to see the same annoyingly flagrant differences in the voices and characterizations in a tv show. As a one and done, though, I'm fine with getting Hollywood actors to do the voices.

16 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Congrats on early screening and thanks for the heads-up concerning end credits. My wife and I usually stay til the end anyway, but nice to know it won't be for naught. Guessing you liked it/ thought it was good?

I'd only seen the first trailer and I thought it's too kiddy.  Not for me but great for growing the fanbase.  Then I got free tixs so I went to just enjoy the show.  Beginnings is definitely kid friendly, all jokes and giggles but they slowly build up the tension so when the two main bots finally take centre stage I liked it.    Hemsworth is no Cullen but does a decent job.  I had fun just trying to guess which bot in the background was the G1 cast.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Imagine current VA actor favorite Chris Pratt as Optimus Prime!! LOL

Honestly, I think Pratt would make a better Bumblebee in the same vein as TF One's or the Animated character, where he's more brash. Honestly, though, as much as the G1 characters are iconic at this point, I'd love to see a show with a whole new cast of characters much like we got with Beast Wars, only with Autobots and Decepticons. I think it'd be cool to see an old grizzled Rodimus Prime at the end of his days as leader passing the Matrix to a new up-and-comer and a whole new crew of bots, both Autobot and a post-Galvatron Decepticons who share a truce and fight against other threats to Cybertron and Earth. One of the reasons for fatigue in the franchise is that they continue to repackage the same main characters over and over and maybe it's time to introduce new characters and move the story along to a future where other bots are the focus. I say this as an unabashed G1 fan.

On 8/23/2024 at 10:17 PM, M'Kyuun said:

My only reluctance with using A-listers to do the voices is if there's a tv series in the works, as they'll undoubtedly resort to using pro VAs. I'm sure the VAs would do a great job, but the difference in voices would be awkward, at least initially. Kinda like Frank Welker's high pitched whiny Galvatron voice after Leonard Nimoy's deeper gravelly delivery. I hated Welker's Galvy voice and his unhinged characterization in the toon. I wouldn't want to see the same annoyingly flagrant differences in the voices and characterizations in a tv show. As a one and done, though, I'm fine with getting Hollywood actors to do the voices.

I mean his unhinged persona was due to the plasma baths he crashed into after the movie. And lets not forget that Rodimus's voice actor changed 3 times including themovie with the final version not sounding like Judd Nelson at all, or Jack Angel not sounding like Robert Stacks. Welker for the voice, it didn't bother me at all....I didn't even see the TFers movie until after Season 3 had finished airing, my folks didn't take me to the movies much at all at that age. I knew it existed, saw the ads on TV and such and I remember my mom yelling at me to come home cause the movie was on TV but missed the first 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a cam rip of this.  I was wrong about the feel based on the first trailer.  I enjoyed it for the most part.  Some fan service references.  Though I didn't much care for shoehorning in some bayverse references.  If my kids were old enough, I'd take them to the theater to watch it.  Even at low quality, I can tell the movie must look great.   I'm still ehhhh on the voices.  elita1 fit well enough.  Did not get a chance to see the end credit scenes yet, but I think I'll probably buy it when released for vod or bluray.

On 9/12/2024 at 5:04 PM, TangledThorns said:

you should read the comments below the review.   

Edited by Negotiator