1/48 SOUTHERN CROSS SPARTAS? MOSCATO HOBBY PROJECT PROPOSAL

3 hours ago, captain america said:

Captain's log: Friday, June 7th, 2024.

Closing stages of construction have arrived. I made a few alterations to some of the parts to make them more conformal to the source material, and am now at the priming stage, getting ready to mold all the parts which require duplication. The first is the foot armor cover thingamabob, which you can see in pics 68 and 69. Admittedly, the pieces you saw last week were place-holders, but now I have a far better solution which looks right! That was a bit of a sticking point for me, because the clearances in the lower leg/foot area are very tight. The lateral armor pieces are separate (held with tack putty!) which will be needed to avoid binding the foot in robot mode.

Pics 70 and 71 show the deployed main gun and support autocannon. The kit will also include plugs to reproduce these in retracted mode inside the arm nacelles.

Pic 72 shows the rifle unit in hovercraft (stowage) mode with the raised stock and retracted barrel, but will have the optional long (extended) barrel and lowered stock.

Pics 73-75 shows the hood fairing, now sloped down as per the line-art. I did like the previous version with the squared nose, but apparently it was really bad for gas mileage!!

With these mods done, I can now begin mold-prep for the duplicate parts as I await the arrival of the pilot figure from Carlos. If the castings aren't ready by next week, (which is doubtful) I may simply skip an update, though the odds are pretty good that I'll be able to show a fully finished figure in the next 7-10 days, so stay tuned!!

67B.HEIC 1.67 MB · 3 downloads 68.HEIC 1.05 MB · 0 downloads 69.HEIC 1.05 MB · 0 downloads 70.HEIC 1022.33 kB · 0 downloads 71.HEIC 1.15 MB · 0 downloads 72.HEIC 1.31 MB · 0 downloads 73.HEIC 990.05 kB · 0 downloads 74.HEIC 1.08 MB · 0 downloads 75.HEIC 920.33 kB · 2 downloads

Gah.  I wish I had half your talent.

I don't think I've ever been so excited seeing a project of yours coming together, Cap'n.  You continue to demonstrate how much better you are than anyone else at this sort of thing, even those with advanced CAD skills.  Each update is more impressive than the last. 🤩

7 hours ago, captain america said:

I did like the previous version with the squared nose, but apparently it was really bad for gas mileage!

Fossil fuels are in particularly short supply on Glorie, after all. 😒

will have the optional long (extended) barrel and lowered stock

Will the figure be able to hold the rifle with both hands?

two-handed.png.bfcf823e474eedb19b143e2b4f56614b.png

twotwo-handed.png.14cf1630e0b7a00d9f000522cbebf6d7.png

the odds are pretty good that I'll be able to show a fully finished figure in the next 7-10 days, so stay tuned!!

Incredible, seeing this coming together so quickly. 😲

Hopefully, you'll take the time to address these issues...

channel.jpg.80c6d0604915e21c0cbc1a8bd13f102d.jpg

That channel is much too wide, I think. 🤔

barelyvisiblechannel.png.cfa9be9b301a91b01469df08a2041fe0.png

It's usually just a pencil-thin line.

barelyaline.png.262958a55629dd1c1e8eef00fdc05766.png

I'm not sure you've captured the shape of the support autocannon... 🤨

pointy.png.84f114415fb11272ae3aef3d3a71b5ac.png

It should taper in more at the ends, it should be more recessed into the housing, and the tip segments are missing. 😶

nitpicks.jpg.ddbd81d434866e1a3d91bf271efbb657.jpg

One issue I didn't mention earlier was the oblong jellybean on either side of the front fairing cover.  Yours seems a bit too fat and wide.

As for the rifle unit in stowage configuration, I see a couple areas that could be improved.  The end is clearly truncated, and the round portion above it should be conical, rather than dome-shaped.  The rifle looks overly large and bulky compared to the line art, mostly because it isn't as recessed into the front fairing.  Could the shape be altered so it conforms more closely to the cover, allowing it to sit a little flatter...?  Perhaps a larger indentation in the cover would allow the rifle to sit lower.

I must admit, however, that you've already done a far better job than MEP, MAAS, or even Dyson Max managed with the stowed rifle.  :good:

So close, so maddeningly close to perfection now... 😭

Posted (edited)

Captain's Log: Friday, June 14th.

Just a quick update today: I have successfully cast all the parts requiring duplication (arms, lower legs, feet, etc.) and while I was very close to showing a fully symmetrical model today, it was a bit too tight on time, so I will push that to next Friday. In the meantime, I have made some detail tweaks which you will see then.

Will the model be able to hold the rifle with both hands: most likely yes, and that will be shown.

Support autocannon missing tips: this is by design, as very thin barrels will not cast properly, so only 2 of the 3 barrel stages are present. I will leave it to the OCD modelers to add the final tiny segments in styrene. The front portion of the rifle has been tapered to match the line-art; will show this with the extended barrel. As for the rifle and making it sit more sunken into the hood, this would require the addition of a channel in the hood which would ruin the look of the latter. Lack of forethought in the original design means the best option for a physical model (IMO) is to have the rifle sit slightly higher. This also makes the inclination of the rifle slightly adjustable, giving it more usability in hover mode.

76.HEIC 77.HEIC 78.HEIC

Edited by captain america

21 hours ago, captain america said:

Will the model be able to hold the rifle with both hands: most likely yes, and that will be shown.

Thanks, Cap!  Looking forward to next Friday. 😋

Support autocannon missing tips: this is by design, as very thin barrels will not cast properly, so only 2 of the 3 barrel stages are present. I will leave it to the OCD modelers to add the final tiny segments in styrene.

Okay, I can do that. 😊

As for the rifle and making it sit more sunken into the hood, this would require the addition of a channel in the hood

Okay, I can do that. ☺️

Here it is: the 1/48 TANKU-ROBO in all its glory! 🤯🤯🤯 Please forgive the gappy abdomen and stiff posing: I'm using a mix of cast parts and freshly primed master-patterns which fit very tightly and I don't want to damage them. I did not attempt a full "Walker Cannon" mode for the same reason, but it is fully feasible! FYI: the gaps in the elbows are because the flexible covers are still being cast, and I'm still waiting on the pilot figure/seat to be delivered.

I will posting the shipping fee details on Friday and re-opening the orders for batch II early next week, so keep a very close eye on this page so you don't miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime 20th Anniversary kit!

IMG_1260.HEIC IMG_1262.HEIC IMG_1263 copy.HEIC IMG_1264 copy.HEIC IMG_1265 copy.HEIC IMG_1268 copy.HEIC IMG_1269 copy.HEIC IMG_1271 copy.HEIC IMG_1272 copy.HEIC IMG_1273 copy.HEIC IMG_1275 copy.HEIC IMG_1277 copy.HEIC IMG_1278 copy.HEIC IMG_1279 copy.HEIC IMG_1280 copy.HEIC

I'm both honoured and flattered to see some of my suggestions have again been incorporated into your design. 🥰

Mind the gap, Cap! 😅

gap.jpg.99a6145666db64a549fe304569f9f003.jpg

Any plans to address that? 🤔

I realize you're somewhat hamstrung by your design philosophy, but I'd hoped you could figure out a more practical way to attach the arms...

Just as I feared, that shoulder connection looks precarious at best. 😬

yappari.jpg.7eba4fa5cf726dd766c96133b9a43145.jpg

Finally, any way to add "skin" to those bony hands? 💀

Hood gap: I added a plate to the opening which can be removed for robot mode. IRL the panel would simply retract into the hood.

Shoulder: as stated above, the chest (and all abdomen parts) are masters and I didn't want to press the shoulder joint in for fear of damaging it: it's holding with friction only in the pic, and when glued properly, will be more than sturdy enough.

Hands: these are aftermarket posable hands which are included in the kit, and the tab in the palm is made to fit the slot in the handle of the rifle. I would have liked round hands, but I couldn't find a vendor who supplies them. 

Also, shipping payments are due! 

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 11.52.34 AM.png

9 hours ago, captain america said:

Hood gap: I added a plate to the opening which can be removed for robot mode. IRL the panel would simply retract into the hood.

Shoulder: as stated above, the chest (and all abdomen parts) are masters and I didn't want to press the shoulder joint in for fear of damaging it: it's holding with friction only in the pic, and when glued properly, will be more than sturdy enough.

Hands: these are aftermarket posable hands which are included in the kit, and the tab in the palm is made to fit the slot in the handle of the rifle. I would have liked round hands, but I couldn't find a vendor who supplies them. 

Also, shipping payments are due! 

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 11.52.34 AM.png

And payment should be zooming through the interwebz as I type!

Tanku veddy, veddy much Cap'n!:good:

• 2 weeks later...

The very best you can get!

The very best you're ever gonna get, most likely. 

Has everyone paid for shipping now?

On 7/3/2024 at 11:50 PM, tekering said:

The very best you're ever gonna get, most likely. 

Has everyone paid for shipping now?

To be fair, there are other offerings on the market. These two, for example. 

image.jpeg.a9c9fddce45b7af52a267fc1bab82d68.jpegimage.jpeg.e4684744dc043c79aed03ac43a429421.jpeg

And then there was this thing, which may have been a one-off:

image.jpeg.c3685a6df4287ccf55c9bd530f53f75d.jpeg

image.png.4e081bc2609a4fefa491284882557563.png

So I stand by what I said: The very best you can get! :lol:

Hey @everyone This is just me giving you guys a progress update on the 1/48 TANKU-ROBO kits: production is already underway, with the 9 first full kits and 10 partial kits are cast. My resin shipment is backordered, so I'm casting up all the flexible elbow parts while I wait. With that said, the first kits will start shipping in about 10 days!IMG_1422.HEICIMG_1421.HEIC

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, captain america said:

To be fair, there are other offerings on the market. These two, for example. 

image.jpeg.a9c9fddce45b7af52a267fc1bab82d68.jpegimage.jpeg.e4684744dc043c79aed03ac43a429421.jpeg

And then there was this thing, which may have been a one-off:

image.jpeg.c3685a6df4287ccf55c9bd530f53f75d.jpeg

image.png.4e081bc2609a4fefa491284882557563.png

So I stand by what I said: The very best you can get! :lol:

To be fair, the 2 on the top are 45.000 Chilean Pesos ($48.15 USD) each.  Shipping from Chile may be $100 USD or so... and these transform to all 3 modes.  They also come painted!

Edited by strikevalk
more info

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 2:38 PM, strikevalk said:

To be fair, the 2 on the top are 45.000 Chilean Pesos ($48.15 USD) each.  Shipping from Chile may be $100 USD or so... and these transform to all 3 modes.  They also come painted!

This is true. Very true.

And I must add, having handled it first hand, the figure does justice to all modes. 

Edited by nightmareB4macross

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

But if it were anybody else... :p

Actually, it is.  Cap's not at fault here; he's just the one left holding the bag, by the same guy who's been stringing me along for weeks now.  Unfortunately, we seem to be waiting on a chronic procrastinator. 😒

16 hours ago, tekering said:

Actually, it is.  Cap's not at fault here; he's just the one left holding the bag, by the same guy who's been stringing me along for weeks now.  Unfortunately, we seem to be waiting on a chronic procrastinator. 😒

Oh, I didn't know.

Forgiveness rescinded, BURN THE HERETIC! :diablo:

The person previously posted about presumably pushed past his prolonged procrastination:

pilotsCAD.jpg.7838db0f41a9db833fcbfe0c59d3231a.jpg

Proudly presenting proof of proper pilots to print! 😁

pilotsCADhead-on.jpg.3001d2f4db4dde35e7f1c639403eef75.jpg

A positively productive period, perhaps. ☺️

pilotsCADbelow.jpg.344b085bd057ad165975417590f58624.jpg

With critical feedback from @captain america, I've substantially redesigned the control surfaces and adjusted the figures accordingly:

DanaCADv.2.jpg.c41474395783ce03bb692aa84c5d4616.jpg

I'm much happier with ver. 2.0.

Danav.2.jpg.22e652ae64c2ec4cf6b663108571fc7e.jpg

Much more anime-accurate now, too. 👍

Bowiev.2.jpg.8b781932d6c2aff3af23d4e5a844980b.jpg

Of course, they'll be quite a challenge to paint... 🤔

Hey guys, guess what?

Batch 1 kits are already shipping! I received the figures from Carlos a few days ago and have been getting kits prepped to go out. I think I can have all of batch 1 expedited by tomorrow evening. Also, some pics of Gerwalk mode! ^_^

FYI, it balances exceedingly well, and what you see here is just holding together using hot glue; no floppy mess like with other offerings! :lol:

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 8.25.19 PM.png

IMG_1664.HEIC IMG_1667.HEIC IMG_1670.HEIC IMG_1673.HEIC IMG_1678.HEIC

They're here!  They're here!  They... they're... in a BILLION PIECES!!!! :shok: :o

It's one thing to follow along with the development of the kit, but to have the teeny fiddly parts in hand makes the assembly a much more daunting prospect in my wimpy mind.  But the fact that many parts are identifiable, like the cowling and the hips and the arm shields, also makes it look a bit easier than the Bioroid kit, which was (and still is :unsure:) a collection of blobby bits that might go with that other blobby bit.

Also, Cap'n?  The shipping box you chose was very tight.  The first inner box didn't want to slide out, and then it became a game as to how much I had to shake things to get the second box out 😁