Spoiler
5 hours ago, Thom said:

but was sad to see Jecki go

Personally, I felt like having a party when she died. I didn’t care for her one bit, but was absolutely happy to see that she didn’t get up in the next scene after stabby stab stab. It was one of the few moments in the show that brought me joy. The other was seeing the shaved wookie dead in a chair without being given a chance at additional screen time.

5 hours ago, Thom said:

One thing I really didn't like, was Mei just deciding to turn herself in. I could see it if they had showed a thought progression, from finding out that her sister was alive, but otherwise it just came out of nowhere. Totally against established character up to that point.

I thought that was weird, but even stranger was her resisting arrest after making the decision to turn herself in. They were giving her exactly what she wanted in the last episode.

This show is a bit all over the place. But this was still the best episode of Disney Starwars that I’ve seen in a while 

8 hours ago, Big s said:
  Hide contents

Personally, I felt like having a party when she died. I didn’t care for her one bit, but was absolutely happy to see that she didn’t get up in the next scene after stabby stab stab. It was one of the few moments in the show that brought me joy. The other was seeing the shaved wookie dead in a chair without being given a chance at additional screen time.

Spoiler

Odd way to enjoy something, but okay. 

8 hours ago, Big s said:

This show is a bit all over the place. But this was still the best episode of Disney Starwars that I’ve seen in a while 

And it really was, esp in regards to Mae suddenly wanting to surrender. But, I think, as soon as she knew Smiley was there (and kicking all Jedi-arse) she realized that being in custody would do nothing but get her more than dead.

8 hours ago, Big s said:
  Hide contents

That's definitely a bit morbid... but to each their own.

Spoiler

Not that my reaction was much better, I suppose...

While the fight itself was mostly well-choreographed, Star Wars is so reliant on just a handful of tropes for scenes like this that the outcome was comically easy to predict in advance and thus the deaths of most of the cast had almost zero impact.

A named Jedi character who isn't the main character (Sol) took his apprentice (Jecki), the friend nobody likes (Yord), and a bunch of unnamed Jedi background characters to confront a probable Sith Lord.  That all but one of those characters was going to die was telegraphed so hard that Leslye Headland is probably being haunted by the ghost of Samuel F.B. Morse right now.

The only unclear point was whether the survivor would be Jecki or Sol.  Yord's death was a foregone conclusion because he was an officious arsehole and his connection to Osha was the most tenuous of the three and therefore the least impactful.

Normally you'd expect the survivor would be the apprentice like Obi-Wan or Luke... but it seems they couldn't resist a good joke, since Lee Jung-jae's character is the... wait for it...

Sol survivor.

*wheeze*

Crazy theory time.

What if there's still another Sith lord behind it all and it's been Jedi Master Sol the whole time?

Yes it is a dumb idea but I'm thinking what would be the most dumbest idea that writers who think they are being clever would come up with.  

55 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Crazy theory time.

What if there's still another Sith lord behind it all and it's been Jedi Master Sol the whole time?

Yes it is a dumb idea but I'm thinking what would be the most dumbest idea that writers who think they are being clever would come up with.  

Merchandise is calling Smiley "The Stranger". I'm wondering if Smiley is the apprentice and he's trying to find an apprentice to help remove his master.

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

Crazy theory time.

Considering most of Disney Star Wars's dumbest ideas seem to revolve around character backstories and family connections... I can think of a few contenders for "dumbest idea from writers who think they're clever" in the context of The Acolyte:

1. Qimir is Ren, the founder of the Knights of Ren, on a mission to create The Chosen One in order to destroy or corrupt them and avert the Prophecy.
  2. Qimir is a young Darth Plagueis the Wise.
  3. Qimir is the apprentice Darth Plagueis the Wise had before Palpatine.
  4. Mae and Osha are one of Darth Plagueis's experiments in using the Force to create life and HE burned the coven's fortress down to avoid having his work fall into the Jedi's hands.
  5. Qimir isn't actually a Sith Lord at all, just a mentally ill fallen Jedi using the Sith's reputation for shock value and possibly being treated as a useful idiot and diversion by the Sith Lords active in the period.
  6. Qimir has multiple personality disorder and Smilo Ren is an alternate personality of his, justifying why they're the same person AND why Qimir talks about the master like a separate person.
  7. Qimir is Master Sol's long lost brother.
  8. Qimir and The Stranger are actually twins, like Osha and Mae.
  9. Qimir's actual name is literally The Stranger, like how several other characters (e.g. Savage Opress, Moralo Eval, Cad Bane) have shockingly on-the-nose names.
  10. Indara, Torbin, Kelnacca, and Sol are all secretly Dark Jedi plotting to corrupt the order from within and Qimir is a loyal Jedi Knight playing the Sith Lord in order to wipe them out without arousing suspicion at the council's request.
  11. Qimir is a hitman the Jedi Council hired to assassinate the four masters before they could reveal what the Council really ordered them to do on Brendok.

That there's another Sith Lord in the picture somewhere is a virtual certainty, since SOP for them seems to be the apprentice cultivating an apprentice to help them overthrow the master and become the master... lather, rinse, repeat until Return of the Jedi.

57 minutes ago, azrael said:

Merchandise is calling Smiley "The Stranger". I'm wondering if Smiley is the apprentice and he's trying to find an apprentice to help remove his master.

Jeez... when the kids said "stranger danger!" they weren't kidding.

27 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Considering most of Disney Star Wars's dumbest ideas seem to revolve around character backstories and family connections... I can think of a few contenders for "dumbest idea from writers who think they're clever" in the context of The Acolyte:

1. Qimir is Ren, the founder of the Knights of Ren, on a mission to create The Chosen One in order to destroy or corrupt them and avert the Prophecy.
  2. Qimir is a young Darth Plagueis the Wise.
  3. Qimir is the apprentice Darth Plagueis the Wise had before Palpatine.
  4. Mae and Osha are one of Darth Plagueis's experiments in using the Force to create life and HE burned the coven's fortress down to avoid having his work fall into the Jedi's hands.
  5. Qimir isn't actually a Sith Lord at all, just a mentally ill fallen Jedi using the Sith's reputation for shock value and possibly being treated as a useful idiot and diversion by the Sith Lords active in the period.
  6. Qimir has multiple personality disorder and Smilo Ren is an alternate personality of his, justifying why they're the same person AND why Qimir talks about the master like a separate person.
  7. Qimir is Master Sol's long lost brother.
  8. Qimir and The Stranger are actually twins, like Osha and Mae.
  9. Qimir's actual name is literally The Stranger, like how several other characters (e.g. Savage Opress, Moralo Eval, Cad Bane) have shockingly on-the-nose names.
  10. Indara, Torbin, Kelnacca, and Sol are all secretly Dark Jedi plotting to corrupt the order from within and Qimir is a loyal Jedi Knight playing the Sith Lord in order to wipe them out without arousing suspicion at the council's request.
  11. Qimir is a hitman the Jedi Council hired to assassinate the four masters before they could reveal what the Council really ordered them to do on Brendok.

That there's another Sith Lord in the picture somewhere is a virtual certainty, since SOP for them seems to be the apprentice cultivating an apprentice to help them overthrow the master and become the master... lather, rinse, repeat until Return of the Jedi.

Jeez... when the kids said "stranger danger!" they weren't kidding.

Actually, 1 - 4 - 5 sound pretty good and I would not mind any as a twist, or even a mingling of 1 and 4.

6 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Crazy theory time.

I was thinking either the green lady or bad mom.

5 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Team Smiley here, Manny Jacinto owns the place.

And we finally know the Star Wars equivalent to pineapple salad...

I thought for sure I would absolutely hate the character or just be disappointed by him, but maybe it’s just that the show is so bad that he ended up my favorite thing about it, I guess I’m with for team Smilo.

Are modern play sabers able to both light up and hold up to fairly strenuous, high-impact use? Or maybe there are other logistical/practical reasons why they had to use larger saber handles.

Otherwise if the size of the hilts is meant to be a depiction of older technology as you say, that's kind of neat. A bit incongruous given the rest of the world's tech doesn't similarly see such regression, but neat nonetheless.

The sabers that I have are meant to be played with for saber choreography. They're Polycarbonate blades are very sturdy and can take a pretty good pounding, along with being fairly inexpensive at roughly 35 bucks to replace and with different lengths to choose from.
I can't speak about the official branded products like Hasbro/Disney/Galaxy's Edge stuff, I haven't bought an officially licensed saber since the early 2000's when FX was the place to go for any collection. 

But when you go back to the old Legacy lore light saber technology took a very long time to be perfected, somewhere around 20,000+ years before the films was the force saber which utilized dark side of the force to create the blade but it caused an imbalance in Jedi making them give into the Dark side of the force due to the frequent use, during that time and were discarded. It wasn't even something that was created by the Jedi, but another alien race that enslaved force users.
The next generation of sabers were like 80's cell phones using a battery back attached to the hip and I think had a tendency to overheat and explode after prolonged use. 
I think it might of been a couple thousand years before the film at that point when the Sith perfected saber technology and then the Jedi copied that. So yeah again, Jedi didn't invent the light saber either way.

On 6/26/2024 at 2:14 AM, Roy Focker said:

I think we're going to have at least one or two more episodes set in the past. 3/4 of all characters featured in the original trailer are dead. With 3 episodes to go that's not enough time introduce new supporting characters that's worth caring about. 

Well, to be fair I don't care much about the characters we have now...

4 hours ago, Big s said:

I thought for sure I would absolutely hate the character or just be disappointed by him, but maybe it’s just that the show is so bad that he ended up my favorite thing about it, I guess I’m with for team Smilo.

He's the only one in the show with an actual nuanced personality... it kind of makes him the obvious choice for a favorite character. :rofl:

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Well, to be fair I don't care much about the characters we have now...

Considering what happened to most of them in short order, that may be very fortunate indeed.

I can only imagine the fans who were shilling for Yord or Jecki on social media are very upset indeed that they both got

Spoiler

fridged in the space of like five minutes

and in a particularly undignified fashion.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I can only imagine the fans who were shilling for Yord or Jecki on social media are very upset indeed that they both got

Reveal hidden contents

fridged in the space of like five minutes

and in a particularly undignified fashion.

They got exactly what they deserved 

8 hours ago, Hikuro said:

The next generation of sabers were like 80's cell phones using a battery back attached to the hip and I think had a tendency to overheat and explode after prolonged use.

Now we know what led to the development of cybernetic limbs in Star Wars...

Yeah I think they'll get out of breaking continuity on a technicality, he's going to be called a "dark-sider", not a Sith proper, even though he used that word himself. 

Posted (edited)

Not to defend the show but he said "Sith" is what the Jedi might refer to him as....it sort of implies that he does not identify as a "Sith"....he sees himself as a wielder of "the Force"....which he weilds as he sees fit for himself....the Jedi only weild it "supposedly" for good....which I can only assume the 4 on that Witch fortress did not do....all of this...of course....from a certain point of view....

IMO...the show needs to accomplish a few things to end somewhat satisfactorily...first....the reason for what made floating hippie Jedi kill himself has to be a real convincing and heinous reason....second, to keep the whole thing about the Sith being unknown to the Jedi for a millenium...it has to be revealed...at least to the remaining survivors of the Jedi Posse....that "The Stranger" was just a rogue Force practicioner that was disgruntled about something yet to be revealed and not...at least as far as the Jedi are concerned...not an actual Sith...they may end up blaming the Witches for his training and thus have even more reason to "co trol who gets to use the Force"....and finally....because this whole series has been trolling everyone about how this is the re-emergence of THE SITH....it needs to end with the actual onscreen reveal...for the audience only ...that Darth Plaguis has been involved in everything that has gone sideways from the start....perhaps "The Stranger" actually is his latest apprentice but has gone rogue and in the end he "takes care of the problem"...

This would be the only reason why I would want a season 2...which can do a time skip to perhaps the Sith apprentice before Palpatine?

Edited by jvmacross

15 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Yeah I think they'll get out of breaking continuity on a technicality, he's going to be called a "dark-sider", not a Sith proper, even though he used that word himself. 

Which is almost certainly not going to appease the fans who've been complaining about the continuity issue...

I get the feeling nothing would appease that lot, TBH.

Mind you, the continuity snarl is the least of The Acolyte's problems at this point... with audience review scores continuing to trend downward instead of rebounding, I think the showrunners probably are feeling less invested in "the power of many" now.  

(Or is it actually the Power of Manny... since Manny Jacinto is carrying this series?)

At this point, who do we have as characters to still root for?

Sol’s probably hiding some secret, but might turn out to still be sympathetic.

Qimir is just chaotic evil.

Osha hasn’t shown much strength and has been portrayed as a weak putz.

Mae flip-flops, depending on what the plot demands of her.

I guess they want to show the cracks and decay developing in the Jedi.  But you have to show them as having at least some redeeming qualities.  Or else, you really don’t care if they all die.

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

This would be the only reason why I would want a season 2...which can do a time skip to perhaps the Sith apprentice before Palpatine?

I thought they already said this was a one and done season 

19 minutes ago, Mog said:

At this point, who do we have as characters to still root for?

Did we ever have characters worth rooting for, though?

The Jedi, according to their nature, are all flat characters and far too bland to be likeable.  Osha is essentially a spectator who's been largely uninvolved in the actual story so far.  Mae's a mood-swinging psycho who treats murder as a one-size-fits-all solution to her life's problems.  Qimir's basically the only one with any kind of nuance to his performance despite being a card-carrying villain.

(I mean, I'm rooting for Qimir, but that's mostly a function of Manny Jacinto delivering the only halfway-believable performance in the series while everyone else's stiff acting feels like the entire cast is coming down off of dental anesthetic.)

19 minutes ago, Mog said:

I guess they want to show the cracks and decay developing in the Jedi.  But you have to show them as having at least some redeeming qualities.  Or else, you really don’t care if they all die.

Even if they have redeeming qualities, I still won't care if they all die.

Andor showed us Star Wars is better without the Jedi anyway.

1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:

Perhaps it was a slip....still not convinced...I'd sooner believe it if it came directly from the character not the actor....

The actual mention of "Sith" by the character was pretty non committal...definitely not spoken as an "absolute" as Obi Wan would say....if anything...if he were a Sith...why even bring it up if their whole shtick has been to weave their long-game in the shadows for the last thousand years....I still think he is more like a Baylan Skoll....who wants to do his own thing

51 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Perhaps it was a slip....still not convinced...I'd sooner believe it if it came directly from the character not the actor....

The actual mention of "Sith" by the character was pretty non committal...definitely not spoken as an "absolute" as Obi Wan would say....if anything...if he were a Sith...why even bring it up if their whole shtick has been to weave their long-game in the shadows for the last thousand years....I still think he is more like a Baylan Skoll....who wants to do his own thing

Because

Spoiler

he had the upper hand and was going to kill them all. No witnesses.

The chance of Sol surviving this is pretty low. I doubt the Jedi ever find out about this.

Edited by Duke Togo

33 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

Because

Hide contents

he had the upper hand and was going to kill them all. No witnesses.

The chance of Sol surviving this is pretty low. I doubt the Jedi ever find out about this.

And yet...he's not dead yet....and any show's script bound by logic...which I had previously asserted this show is lacking....would have the first order of business be for the "lone survivors" to immediately present their mission's finding to their handlers...in which case...they would have an even bigger posse assembled to hunt down this alleged Sith....but nah....Sol will just take off and finally reveal to "Osha" the true events on Witch Mountain.... (why a Jedi Master would not detect she is Mae is a mystery)....it's 3 episodes to go....there has to be more to all this mess...

25 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

.would have the first order of business be for the "lone survivors" to immediately present their mission's finding to their handlers...in which case...they would have an even bigger posse assembled to hunt down this alleged Sith....but nah....

To be fair, NOT doing the smart thing and reporting in for backup is a Hollywood tradition that goes far beyond Star Wars.

If Smylo Ren is a Sith Lord, does he tie in at all to Darth Plagueis or Palps eventually? When was the rule of two made? Is he Plagueis's master? I mean, 100 years from the events of Phantom Menace, we shouldn't be too far off from Plagueis and Palps right? 

As mentioned by others above, at this point, if Smylo is a Sith then Acolyte is going to have to have some more deaths to keep this Sith a secret in order to keep continuity, no survivors is the only way out at this point, but I highly doubt both sisters are dying, Sol is a goner for sure though. 

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Why though?

For the crime of being horrible characters 

36 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

As mentioned by others above, at this point, if Smylo is a Sith then Acolyte is going to have to have some more deaths to keep this Sith a secret in order to keep continuity, no survivors is the only way out at this point, but I highly doubt both sisters are dying, Sol is a goner for sure though. 

I don’t doubt Sol is a goner, but I have a feeling that the two will have to overpower Manny together more than likely with bad sister dying and since good sister isn’t a Jedi, she just does her own thing and doesn’t tell the council about the not Sith 

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

To be fair, NOT doing the smart thing and reporting in for backup is a Hollywood tradition that goes far beyond Star Wars.

Maybe...but even in Star Wars wasn't that what Qui Gon and Obi Wan did upon their initial encounter with Darth Maul?

Then again...for some dumb reason this whole mission involving Mae has somehow been kept on a "need to know" basis by off-brand Nebula...although the ONE Jedi who claimed there hasn't been Sith for a millenium was in on the secret mission...whatevs...

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

(I mean, I'm rooting for Qimir, but that's mostly a function of Manny Jacinto delivering the only halfway-believable performance in the series while everyone else's stiff acting feels like the entire cast is coming down off of dental anesthetic.)

https://starwarsintrocreator.kassellabs.io/#!/EO0WM425rOcwDwGs32yK

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Maybe...but even in Star Wars wasn't that what Qui Gon and Obi Wan did upon their initial encounter with Darth Maul?

Sometime they do the smart thing but whenever lazy writing requires - they don't.  REALLY lazy (like this episode of The Acolyte) they don't even try to explain away why they do not try to report in.  Anything from ship stuck and bad guy has parts to a storm makes it impossible for a while would do.