2 hours ago, azrael said:

Transition episode moving from the beginning to the middle of the story so not much happened here.

It kinda like every episode so far. Something is about to be explained or about to happen, but nothing really has

1 hour ago, the_foul_fowl said:

Ended just when it was about to get good. I hope next week is not a flashback episode but… “I’ve got a bad feeling about this” 

I have a feeling that their gonna run off the not Sith and go straight into flashback zone while traveling to a new destination 

Apparently this new Dark Lord has been informally dubbed "Smilo Ren" on account of his helmet's toothy grin. 

NGL, I like it.  That's a quality pun.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Apparently this new Dark Lord has been informally dubbed "Smilo Ren" on account of his helmet's toothy grin. 

NGL, I like it.  That's a quality pun.

Sounds good to me. Smiling Ren it is. I was gonna go with tooth fairy or tooth Vader or something equally as lame, but that name is too good not to be used 

Well, I am officially perplexed.

I was, in all innocence, looking to watch a Let's Play over lunch and when I loaded up YouTube I got a page of recommended videos of Star Wars fans shrieking their inchoate fury over The Acolyte supposedly breaking canon... because the conehead guy who has like one line of dialog is the same conehead guy from the prequel trilogy?

Of all the substandard things in this series and this most recent episode to get upset about, that's what got their goat?

I think the headache is twofold:

* The dude isn’t supposed to be alive during this timeframe.

* He’s the guy that actually says the line in The Phantom Menace that they haven’t heard a peep from the Sith in over a thousand years.

So yeah, putting in the credits that it’s the same character AND that’s like his one memorable line in the entire prequel trilogy kinda irks folks.

A lot of unnecessary mental gymnastics for a cameo that really causes more headaches than need be.

. . . Because there’s that Sithy like dude ready to off some Jedi with a RED lightsaber.

Could have just said it’s a Jedi of the same species without opening that whole can of worms.

I personally found it to be an unnecessary link, but I’m more annoyed with the sudden change of heart from Mae.  Not enough was developed OR SHOWN to make the turn seem convincing.

51 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

loaded up YouTube I got a page of recommended videos of Star Wars fans shrieking their inchoate fury over The Acolyte supposedly breaking canon... because the conehead guy who has like one line of dialog is the same conehead guy from the prequel trilogy?

Of all the substandard things in this series and this most recent episode to get upset about, that's what got their goat?

Beware that Youtube algorithm. You watch one video and it starts bombarding you with similar topic videos.

Ki-Adi Mundi wasn't supposed to be born yet (but canonically, we don't even know how long that species lives for, it's all extended canon stuff so 🤷‍♂️).

11 minutes ago, Mog said:

Could have just said it’s a Jedi of the same species without opening that whole can of worms.

Exactly. They put in a reason to not involve the Jedi Council. They should have just stayed hands off on any Prequels-era characters in general. I don't even know it was him until my YT feed started spewing videos about him.

Posted (edited)

Was the "Plo Koon" Jedi also listed as such in the credits?  I never bother with them...

Anyways...I haven't rewatched the episode but was he part of the Jedi "posse" dispatched to arrest the "bad" twin?  If so that would make it harder to say that the Sith was not seen for a "millenia"...and since he was actually a witness...that would be harder to explain than Ki Adi Mundi.....

*edit* not Plo Koon:  https://tvovermind.com/the-acolyte-introduces-new-kel-dor-jedi-and-revives-ki-adi-mundi/

I guess...just like in TROS...."somehow" these events are going to be swept under the rug or they will determine that the "Sith" guy was just a wanna-be....from the Jedi's certain point of view....which basically translates to the guy being determined to be a rogue jedi because they are not willing to admit the possibility that they did not eliminate the Sith....

Of course...it could also be that he is not a Sith afterall...and just another of those Force users that the Jedi seem to want to outlaw...but still being manipulated by the still hidden Darth Plaguis or whoever is the actual Sith master lurking around during this time...

Perhaps the Asian guy is the Acolyte who was given the task of killing Jedi w/o a weapon and decides to go about the task by using Mae?  Being adept at manipulation and lies would be a good skillset to possess for anyone wanting to be a Sithlord...the show would have been long over if the Jedi had read his mind back when they first encountered him...

Edited by jvmacross

Honestly, I didn’t realize it was the same guy from the prequels. The only thing I remember at all about him other than having a cone head  and a silly death dance and complaining about the droid attack on the wookies. Sometimes ignorance is bliss because without these oddball discussions I probably wouldn’t know what the complaints were about.

10 hours ago, azrael said:

Beware that Youtube algorithm. You watch one video and it starts bombarding you with similar topic videos..

That's why I only use Brave or Adblock browsers is incognito for YouTube.  No ads and no tracking cookies. Especially for something like Disney SW or MCU.

Conehead saying the Sith haven't been seen in a thousand years doesn't break canon if:

1. The villain isn't a Sith. Disney and Clone War cartoons had plenty of red-light saber wielding dark side force users. Who they said weren't Sith even though they sure looked like it.

2. The villain is a Sith but everyone who encounter them is killed or swear to keep it a secret.

6 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Conehead saying the Sith haven't been seen in a thousand years doesn't break canon if:

1. The villain isn't a Sith. Disney and Clone War cartoons had plenty of red-light saber wielding dark side force users. Who they said weren't Sith even though they sure looked like it.

I guess that’s true. If they’re not using the dark side of the force, but using the “thread” that would probably make it a witch and not a Sith 

9 hours ago, Uxi said:

I'm growing to despise Disney Wars. 

To paraphrase Rossini, "Disney's Star Wars has some good moments, but awful quarters of an hour."

Disney does seem to have a gift for deciding to tell stories that really didn't need to be told.  They're capable of good writing (see Rogue OneAndor) but those good moments are all but lost amid a sea of visually impressive but ill-conceived twaddle.

(Not that I think pre-Disney Star Wars was necessarily better in that regard... just different, like Coke and Pepsi.)

7 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

2. The villain is a Sith but everyone who encounter them is killed or swear to keep it a secret.

Thinking about it, I don't think #1 is likely.  Mae's Mysterious Master (with Added Alliterative Appeal) is definintely playing audience expectations for a Sith character to the hilt what with the black wardrobe, red lightsaber, off-brand Vader mask, and followers who reference the Sith code.  Non-Sith red lightsaber users in The Clone Wars may not be true Sith... but they're trained by and employed by Sith Lords arguably as prospective apprentices in the Sith's perpetual game of Klingon Promotion.

#2 is tricky... as of Ep4, the Jedi are assuming that they're dealing with a rogue Jedi sect.  That illusion is surely shattered now that they've run into Smilo Ren there, since he's clearly telegraphing his dark side affiliation and probable Sith origin.  With half the series left to run, it seems unlikely that Smilo Ren can pull off #2 since it would necessarily invalidate the quest he gave Mae as Sol is leading the expedition and Mae's quest is what's driving the story.  If anyone survives to report back, then they'll have to tie the story in knots to justify a coverup of the return of the Jedi's worst enemy AND why nobody who was there raised the connection a century later when another sith was encountered.

It doesn't bode well for the story, I guess...

. . . Or just say that Whale-Headed Jedi is someone else.

Galaxy is big enough, and you don’t draw attention to the sticky Sith situation.

9 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

🙄 *cough* Baylon Skoll and Shin Hati */cough*
How people easily forget...

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

To paraphrase Rossini, "Disney's Star Wars has some good moments, but awful quarters of an hour."

That sums up every show since Mando season 1 and Andor. Mostly awful writing with a few really good moments that usually wind up on YouTube.  This was acute with Kenobi and Ahsoka. 

Season 2 of Mando was solid though.

I personally didn’t mind Season 3, but I understand why some folks got tired of the fetch-quests.

20 minutes ago, Mog said:

Season 2 of Mando was solid though.

I personally didn’t mind Season 3, but I understand why some folks got tired of the fetch-quests.

The fetch quests weren’t the problem, it was the constant mando got captured again and needs to be rescued…………again scenes

2 minutes ago, Big s said:

The fetch quests weren’t the problem, it was the constant mando got captured again and needs to be rescued…………again scenes

Yeah, you'd think being a Mandalorian, he could get out of trouble himself without need for assistance.

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah, you'd think being a Mandalorian, he could get out of trouble himself without need for assistance.

Between the boba show and Mando season 3 there could be some horrible drinking games for every time a Mandalorian needs assistance 

It's weird, I've generally had a decent if unmemorable time with the Star Wars shows. Mando season...2? When Luke shows up? was a good time. Boba Fett was perfectly fine up through the point I eventually dropped it (before that slo-mo speeder chase I caught years later on YouTube the other day, what WAS that???? :lol:), same with Ahsoka. Obi-Wan Kenobi was ultimately worth it too, I think.

So... yeah. I dunno, guys, this whole doom and gloom about Disney Wars seems overblown. Of course I say that yet have spent the last five pages absolutely trashing The Acolyte. :lol:

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

It's weird, I've generally had a decent if unmemorable time with the Star Wars shows.

That is the entire problem.  Disney has more yawn then Must See TV with Star Wars.  These are not cheap shows to make so they need to make something that will draw more eyeballs to D+ and bring them back to the movies in theaters.  With the first season of Mandalorian they were doing that but not really since then.  

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

That is the entire problem.  Disney has more yawn then Must See TV with Star Wars.  These are not cheap shows to make so they need to make something that will draw more eyeballs to D+ and bring them back to the movies in theaters.  With the first season of Mandalorian they were doing that but not really since then.  

I think these shows keep drawing eyeballs to their parks, that's all that really matters to Disney....wether the shows are good or bad doesn't matter to the throngs of people that still support Disney via their vacation/experience dollars...D+ just keeps all things Disney in the public consciousness...

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

I thought we were talking just the general quality of the stuffs, not their function as money-makers. If we're talking about finances, sure, I could agree they're probably spending more on the shows than the shows are bringing in. I could even be persuaded that that's the case even if you factored in all the merchandising, licensing, etc. that said shows generate. But as far as the quality of the thing goes, Disney Wars is pretty similar to Lucas Wars, all things considered.

The problem is they’re slow as hell in getting any toys out.  

Don’t know if it’s a Hasbro thing or a Disney thing.  But it doesn’t do them any favors.