So, I would totally watch this if there is a trailer reveal of the Sith as Darth. Mr. Anderson.

Then we go through an exposition and find out that indeed, this is the Matrix. 

Would think that Keanu Reeves would make an excellent Sith lord.

Nah, Keanu would 100% be cast as a Jedi.

Keanu has a definite preference for playing the showy invincible hero (or at worst, antihero) who happens to be a stoic loner, which is basically the short definition of "Jedi".  Not to mention his typically wooden delivery makes him an ideal candidate to play a flat character with a little-to-no emotional range due to a lifetime of detachment and repression like a Jedi the same way it makes him a good choice to play flat character stoic action movie heroes too cool or too grizzled to react to anything.

He doesn't have the range to play an excessively melodramatic villain like a Sith Lord.  For that, you need someone who really play to the back row with the dental fortitude to leave no piece of scenery unchewed.  Hugo Weaving would make a great Sith Lord.  Sam Neill would probably make a pretty good Sith Lord too, IMO.

Besides, we already had "Keanu Reeves from Wish.com" in the sequel trilogy, and it wasn't that well received. 🤣

I don't like Keanu as a Jedi... while I might agree that he isn't the best at evil.  my preference is still Sith.... and then Trinity... err... CAM character sees him, and they immediately realize that something is screwy.

Light saber whip... 🤣🤦‍♂️

What's next? Light saber net launcher? Light saber nun-chuks? Light saber imagine whatever you want alla green latern ring? 🤣

5 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

What's next? Light saber net launcher? Light saber nun-chuks? Light saber imagine whatever you want alla green latern ring? 🤣

Light saber can opener. Why? For use against battle droids of course! 🤣

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Light saber can opener. Why? For use against battle droids of course! 🤣

Lightsabers these days seem better at destroying metal than flesh, so a can opener would be perfect. It would incinerate the top of the can and wouldn’t even cook the tuna.

12 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Light saber Swiss Army Knife... because you never know when a Kyber-attuned contained plasma nail file or toothpick will come in handy. :D

14 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Didn't we already have something like that in The Last Jedi?

Not the memes, I mean, but those guard in Snoke's room had a bunch of weird lightsaber-like weapons including a whip.

After getting almost two seasons into The Clone Wars, I'll settle for lightsabers being treated like actual deadly weapons and not just paddles for games of laser ping-pong.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Didn't we already have something like that in The Last Jedi?

Not the memes, I mean, but those guard in Snoke's room had a bunch of weird lightsaber-like weapons including a whip.

After getting almost two seasons into The Clone Wars, I'll settle for lightsabers being treated like actual deadly weapons and not just paddles for games of laser ping-pong.

Most of that film is erased in my mind, but yeah, I recall it now, those however were electrified whips. 

Lightsabers are no longer special as almost everyone has one like everyone had a Nokia in the late 90s, and even after getting stabbed right through vital organs, it's barely a scratch the next day. 

7 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Lightsabers are no longer special as almost everyone has one like everyone had a Nokia in the late 90s, and even after getting stabbed right through vital organs, it's barely a scratch the next day. 

Hm... I'm not sure it's "everyone has a lightsaber" so much as it is the franchise's obnoxious tendency to put the vanishingly tiny minority of Force users at the center of every major event in galactic history.

The Jedi represent just one ten-trillionth - 0.00000000001% - of the galactic population before Order 66.  After it, they're on the order of one ten-quadrillionth of the population... but any even slightly important event seems to involve at least one.  I only noticed that detail recently, but damn if it doesn't bother me. I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here...

Spoiler

One ten-trillionth of the galactic population... and that's before the Clone Wars and Order 66.

Star Wars handles the Jedi completely wrong.

There are more Space Marines in Warhammer 40,000 than Jedi in Star Wars by TWO ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE, but everyone in the Galaxy Far Far Away seems to act like the Jedi are a commonplace but unusually uninteresting sight.  They should be a myth to the vast majority of the people in the galaxy.  These should be the mythical but unseen protectors of order who show up when sh*t has gone off in the worst way possible.  These are legendary warriors whose mystical powers and mastery of esoteric weapons let them fight against impossible odds and win, outclassing dozens of trained soldiers.  They can see the future, bend people's wills to their own, fling heavy objects around by thinking about it, and do all kinds of other impossible things...

But absolutely everybody in Star Wars acts like the Jedi and the Sith ain't sh*t... until/unless they're staring down the business end of a lightsaber.

The Jedi's reputation and how they're actually treated in the story are two completely different things.

Anytime the Jedi or Sith have to go up against normal people or battle droids it should be a mook horror show like Vader's appearance in Rogue One or Luke's in The Mandalorian.  It probably would be too if not for so very many cases where the Jedi seemingly forget they have superpowers as a drama-preserving handicap. 

Spoiler

There was an episode of The Clone Wars I watched recently where Ahsoka's lightsaber gets stolen.  She can SEE the thief, but it seemingly never occurs to her to just grab the lightsaber with the Force and pull it back to her.  She spends like 20 minutes chasing a different thief who stole the stolen lightsaber from someone else  across the rooftops of Coruscant on foot because she's seemingly forgotten that she can just grab the person or the lightsaber with telekinesis.  The whole episode would've been over in about 15 seconds if she hadn't forgotten she could do that... and it's something she does on a regular basis otherwise!

Seeing a Jedi (or Sith) show up should be SERIOUS BUSINESS.  Darth Vader is someone who can rip spaceships out of the sky with his mind and kill people from kilometers away just by wishing it.  He massacred a dozen soldiers without even trying mere hours earlier.  He's the Emperor's right-hand man, and his coworkers STILL feel safe giving him sh*t until he loses his temper and starts choking one in the middle of a meeting.  

The only character in Star Wars who gives what I think is an appropriate reaction to the Jedi showing up is that one Trade Federation officer at the start of The Phantom Menace, who is having a "Game over, man... game over!" moment after learning the ambassadors waiting for him are Jedi.  That should be a pretty normal response for learning two members of the vanishingly rare sect of magically empowered super-warriors have come looking for you to settle a grievance.

@Seto Kaiba to be fair every major event in Star Wars takes place on the same 5 planets so I assume those people are quite used to Jedi shenanigans while the rest of the Galaxy far far away has never seen nor heard of them. ;)

It seems that a couple of entertainment news outlets like Rolling Stone either weren't aware of, or forgot, that The Acolyte doesn't drop until 9pm today and briefly published their reviews from the screening events early.

The articles have since been taken down, but they made no secret of their dislike for the series.  Rolling Stone's article was titled "The Acolyte Review: This Star Wars prequel series isn't a Force to be reckoned with - Even a veteran Jedi master would lose their patience with this latest Disney+ addition to the canon, which focuses on a pair of twins and revenge, and... zzzzz."  (It still shows up as the top search on Google, though the article itself now returns a 404 error.)

That said, the same reviewer (Alan Sepinwall) absolutely loathed Andor season one... the best-written, best-acted, most profound piece of media Star Wars has produced since the franchise was sold to Disney by a comically gargantuan margin and IMO a supremely strong contender for the single best-written Star Wars story ever made.  So it's worth taking that opinion with a piece of salt big enough to build another Starkiller Base on..

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, azrael said:

Doesn't matter. The review embargo lifted at 12PM EST.

Hrm... I wonder why Rolling Stone and a few others withdrew their reviews then?  Disney's Ministry of Truth (marketing dept) got 'em, maybe? 🤣

Ah well, I'm headed into this one with my expectations kept pretty low.  Three seasons of The Clone Wars and counting has, if anything, reinforced my opinion that Force users are the least interesting characters in any Star Wars story.  A story that's positively infested by them doesn't appeal much.  I'm open to having my mind changed, though.  After all, I do love Andor and that started out feeling like an advertisement for Dramatic Walking as a cinematic device the same way Battlefield Earth is an advertisement for Dutch Angles. 🤣

I was going to make a joke about how I'm keeping my expectations low enough that only Master Sol spending the entire first episode in the john coping with the aftermath of a questionable food truck taco could truly make it unwatchable... but then I realized that would actually just make him the single most relatable Jedi in the franchise.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

For my part, this is basically everything I'd ever wanted from the franchise: wuxia-flavored Star Wars. Even the lightsaber whip is something that kid me yearned for, impractical as it is. Here's just hoping they can manage to bring the Force closer to its Taoist, amoral roots as well (though I don't foresee that happening).

Of all the recent Star Wars fare, this has managed to excite me the most.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That said, the same reviewer (Alan Sepinwall) absolutely loathed Andor season one... the best-written, best-acted, most profound piece of media Star Wars has produced since the franchise was sold to Disney by a comically gargantuan margin and IMO a supremely strong contender for the single best-written Star Wars story ever made.  So it's worth taking that opinion with a piece of salt big enough to build another Starkiller Base on..

I could easily see people hating Andor, if it was a review based on the first few episodes that they released. So many people never actually made it passed those and personally even I hated the show at that point. It got better mid way through the third episode and picked up as the show went on. But those first few episodes were really bad. I never read this guy’s reviews and not sure if he still hated the show after that point, but it seemed a common problem with the show even for the general audience.

Critic scores are almost completely meaningless these days.  Too many of the critical reviews are bought-and-paid-for by the major studios and the networks.  If you look at RT's new releases on streaming, 80% is practically the floor for critical review scores on anything new.

For proof, just look at Paramount+'s recently concluded flagship series Star Trek: Discovery.  Its critical score average across five seasons was 84%, on a series that did so poorly worldwide that its sponsor tried to cancel it three separate times before selling the rights back to Paramount at a loss to be rid of it.  The audience score average?  34%.  The delta between the critic score and audience score got as wide as 67% during the show's run.  The only way that happens is if the critics are either completely out of touch or the studio's putting its finger on the scale... and I don't doubt for a second that's already happening with The Acolyte too, regardless of where its audience score eventually stabilizes because that's marketing.

Oh, you're not wrong... at this stage of the game, the audience score is all but completely meaningless.

It'll only start to become a viable metric once RT clears out the pre-release review bombing by toxic Star Wars fans, the season has aired in full, and a few months have passed for them to accumulate a decent body of reviews by people who've actually watched it.

Just saw the two eps.

Kinda mid.  

Spoiler

Kinda dumb that Jedi Master Trinity got taken out like that.  Are Jedi so stupid that they’d let their guard down so quickly while protecting someone?  Doesn’t she have another free hand to Force block? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Twin stuff is whatever.  But wonder if there’s some shocking secret(TM) being hidden by those Jedi in the hit list.

Also, kinda silly they have to put the name of each planet up, when they just mentioned it during the scene immediately prior.

Other than Sol, most of the Jedi come off as annoying.  Dooku probably would have gone Sith within 5 minutes of hanging with these folks.

A well-funded fan film at best...

The green skinned jedi lady was about the worst character....it's like she was an even more wooden variant of Nebula...

Will continue watching, of course...

Spoiler

What exactly is the point of being a floating Jedi who hasn't spoken to anyone in 10 years?  Does he take pee breaks or just wears long lasting special Jedi diapers?

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

A well-funded fan film at best...

My thoughts exactly. I watched the first one and didn't feel like watching the other one. Bad writing and acting.

Visually looks like a '90s TV show.

And Dafne Keen's character looks like a young version of Cheetara

Someone wanna explain...

Spoiler

...how Jedi Trinity dies from a single stab from a 6 inch-kunai (with a 3-ish inch blade) which probably only punctured her left lung? Slit her throat + multiple lacerations + multiple stabs, I could understand. But a single stab to the mid-left chest? Not even center. Just slightly to the left of center.

Well, we shall see if this is another Andor or another dud. Cuz after 2 episodes , 'still in the "not-impressed" camp.

She lost her will to live and died of a broken heart. 🤪

Spoiler

If I was Mae, I probably would have led with the whole “try to kill multiple people to distract Jedi master, and then stabby-stab her while her focus is elsewhere.”  

Makes Trinity look like a putz for getting offed while trying to save just ONE person.

My pet theory:

Spoiler

Those Jedi on the hit list probably mind wiped one or both of the twins.

Probably not a coincidence that the prisoners had a throwaway line about Jedi mind wipes.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Someone wanna explain...

Reveal hidden contents

...how Jedi Trinity dies from a single stab from a 6 inch-kunai (with a 3-ish inch blade) which probably only punctured her left lung? Slit her throat + multiple lacerations + multiple stabs, I could understand. But a single stab to the mid-left chest? Not even center. Just slightly to the left of center.

Well, we shall see if this is another Andor or another dud. Cuz after 2 episodes , 'still in the "not-impressed" camp.

Just shows the power of an actual blade versus a Disney lightsaber stab

I'll give this a try tonight when I get home, but don't have high expectations.

I've also always though that the Jedi are the least interesting thing about Star Wars.

For me, the animated shows, Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch & Tales of the Empire are my favorites outside of the original trilogy and prequel trilogy. I also really liked The Mandalorian season 1.

However, I  disliked Obi Wan and Ahsoka & Book of Boba Fett. Thought  Mando seasons 2 and 3 were just so so.

Unpopular opinion, but I found Andor extremely boring and struggled to get thought it. I actually fell asleep several times during episode 5 or 6 and eventually gave up. altogether and never finished it.

9 minutes ago, Graham said:

Unpopular opinion, but I found Andor extremely boring and struggled to get thought it. I actually fell asleep several times during episode 5 or 6 and eventually gave up. altogether and never finished it.

Yeah, there’s a bit too much cereal eating that seemed highly unnecessary. At least you made it further in the series than most people.

11 minutes ago, Graham said:

I've also always though that the Jedi are the least interesting thing about Star Wars.

I grew up with Star Wars having very little saber fights. The flippy goofiness of the prequels was a bit over the top. I kinda liked the fighters ship battles and droids and speeder chases that felt faster than 5mph.