Macross streaming on Disney+ (under the "Star" label; Star/Hulu of D+)

On 8/22/2024 at 6:03 PM, Duke Togo said:

I've tried using my VPN (PIA) to stream Disney+ from Japan, but it's blocked.

I’ve been hearing that from a few people that have tried the vpn thing. I don’t know if there’s one that does work, but it seems Disney is blocking them fairly well unfortunately 

It was inevitable that the streaming services would get wise to the trick, since half of the VPN apps out there these days advertise themselves as being useful for circumventing region-based blocks on content. 

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On 8/24/2024 at 9:07 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

It was inevitable that the streaming services would get wise to the trick, since half of the VPN apps out there these days advertise themselves as being useful for circumventing region-based blocks on content. 

Streaming services have known about VPN-usage longer than you think. They're more focused on password sharing (i.e. free-loaders).

2 hours ago, azrael said:

Streaming services have known about VPN-usage longer than you think. They're more focused on password sharing (i.e. free-loaders).

Oh I'm sure they've known about VPN usage for ages, and while they are focusing on their various efforts to crack down on the password sharing in order to put off acknowledging that infinite growth is not possible for a little while longer, they're definitely also starting to quietly crack down on the now widely advertised use of VPN clients to circumvent the service's region specific blocks on content. 

That's what we're seeing here with people who are trying to access Macross content on Disney+ using VPN from countries where it's not supposed to be available yet.

On 8/22/2024 at 9:03 PM, Duke Togo said:

I've tried using my VPN (PIA) to stream Disney+ from Japan, but it's blocked.

When I tried (with NordVPN) I couldn't get in from their Tokyo server, but their other Japan server worked.  They just didn't have Zero, SDF Macross, DYRL, or Macross II available yet, but that was around two weeks ago.  Apparently they were added now.

They're really dragging this release process out. 🤣

I'm glad that the Japanese releases are getting official English subs still, because at this rate it'll be 2025 before the biggest anime market in the west gets anything.

7 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm glad that the Japanese releases are getting official English subs still, because at this rate it'll be 2025 before the biggest anime market in the west gets anything.

All a scheme of HG for not release Macross on US 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I think the official posters said 2024. Unfortunately December 31’st at 2359 in whatever the last time zone is, still counts as a 2024 release to them

4 hours ago, Big s said:

I think the official posters said 2024. Unfortunately December 31’st at 2359 in whatever the last time zone is, still counts as a 2024 release to them

True... 31 December at 23:59:59 is still technically "this year".

I will laugh long and hard if that's the case, because I rules lawyer deadlines that way at work all the time. :rofl:

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

True... 31 December at 23:59:59 is still technically "this year".

I will laugh long and hard if that's the case, because I rules lawyer deadlines that way at work all the time. :rofl:

I’ll start by laughing, but then I’ll celebrate the new year with some Macross, even if it’s Delta

On 8/31/2024 at 4:22 PM, camk4evr said:

Disney+ (Canada) has just recently added Macross FB7, Maceoss 7: the galaxy is calling me, Macross Plus, and macross plus movie edition

Same here  in Hong Kong, all those added a couple of weeks ago.

(hopefully) Maybe they are dragging their feet on the US release in order to "influrnce" HG into allowing SDF and DYRL.  Mind you, big D could probably buy HG outright if they  wanted to for less then they spent on their last movie flop.

1 hour ago, Knight26 said:

Mind you, big D could probably buy HG outright if they  wanted to for less then they spent on their last movie flop.

HG's a privately owned company, so the Agramas would have to be willing to sell...

... and it's unlikely they'd be willing to, for fear that Disney's attorneys and accountants would find things the Agramas would rather remain unfound while examining the company's books.

Spoiler

HG was named in two separate indictments of its founder, Farouk Agrama, for tax fraud, tax evasion, embezzlement, and false accounting practices in the 2000s and 2010s.  The evidence was strong enough to secure a conviction on the first set of charges, and Farouk Agrama only avoided serving prison time for it because of his age.

The current President and CEO, his daughter Jehan Agrama, has also been investigated for tax evasion at least once already in connection with unreported income.

Selling a company that, according to Italian prosecutors, was set up as part of an international money laundering and tax evasion scheme is definitely a risky proposition if there is ANY evidence of financial improprieties in its books.

• 2 weeks later...