Macross streaming on Disney+ (under the "Star" label; Star/Hulu of D+)

Some of us who are as old as dirt, and grew up with anime before subtitles for them even existed, learned to figure out what was going on in the shows without knowing Japanese. It was just something that you came to understand after watching enough RAW anime VHS tapes back in the day. Therefore, while some dubs may be good (Cowboy Bebop, etc.) I prefer subs since I'm so used to hearing the Japanese language.

On 7/28/2024 at 7:08 AM, MisaForever said:

Some of us who are as old as dirt, and grew up with anime before subtitles for them even existed, learned to figure out what was going on in the shows without knowing Japanese. It was just something that you came to understand after watching enough RAW anime VHS tapes back in the day. Therefore, while some dubs may be good (Cowboy Bebop, etc.) I prefer subs since I'm so used to hearing the Japanese language.

Exactly, that's how I watched anime back in my teens and 20s, either on bootleg raw Japanese VHS tapes with no subs or on Japanese Laserdiscs with no subs, from the rental stores here at the time back in the 80s.

Honestly, I don't think I've every watched any anime dubbed. I mean I've tried, but never made it more than a few minutes into any dub.

On 7/27/2024 at 4:08 PM, MisaForever said:

Yup. That's how it all started for me too. I had a collection of bootleg VHS tapes. Some were even Beta. Admittedly, there have been some good dubs, IMO. And I know we live in " modern times " now, and so much anime has been dubbed. But my older weeb ears still prefer the Japanese language for anime. 
I'll be happy just to be able to watch Macross in subs through a legit streaming source. Hopefully uncut. And , who knows, maybe one of the more popular chapters will be dubbed. 

Add me as another old guy who just wants to be able to support the franchise he's loved forever in a legal fashion and am perfectly happy with an official subbed version.  The Japanese actors have their share of big hams and corny deliveries, but in general they tend to sound better to me than the dubs ever have.  Certainly good dubs exist, and being able to watch the action without diverting down to read the bottom of the screen constantly has its advantages, but overall I think subs are the best way to get as close to the intended experience of an anime as a non-Japanese speaker can.

There are certainly dubs from back in the day I am fond of - the original "Project A-Ko" for one - but as a fairly fast reader I generally preferred subs (although when it comes to videogames, even where a Japanese language version is included, I'll usually default to English voice acting just because of the sheer amount of dialogue usually involved; possibly I'm also slightly biased as certain big-ticket console RPGs seem to have fondness for British accents now!). Probably worth pointing out that dubs are probably pretty helpful for those with difficulties reading etc.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

On 7/27/2024 at 7:08 PM, MisaForever said:

Ok boomer 😄

On 8/1/2024 at 7:13 PM, jrhudson311 said:

Ok boomer 😄

Son? Come over here. I, Said. Come. Over. HERE. *Drags you over here, BY your ear*

*Reminds the Yout why being Gen-X, a Veteran & Retiree, is combination to be Feared*

Actually no, I'd probably F up my back trying to drag him/her over so I'll just do the safe thing and flip him off, call him names, something less physical... :D

25 minutes ago, TehPW said:

Son? Come over here. I, Said. Come. Over. HERE. *Drags you over here, BY your ear*

*Reminds the Yout why being Gen-X, a Veteran & Retiree, is combination to be Feared*

Actually no, I'd probably F up my back trying to drag him/her over so I'll just do the safe thing and flip him off, call him names, something less physical... :D

Git 'im!! :D

You don't need to take personal opinions and choices personally buddy. We're not deciding what Disney or Big West ultimately does.

On 7/27/2024 at 7:08 PM, MisaForever said:

I'm from the time when the only way to access anime was via open TV broadcasting , or by purchasing individual VHS tapes through magazines or classifieds advertisiments of newspapersfrom other states.
Many of them were either subtitled in English, or without subtitles at all, and you can try to understand the story of the anime (episode) in question. The 80s/90s were crazy times here in Brazil before the internet.
So, it doesn't matter if it's dubbed or subtitled, but it would be great to have the old dubbing in Pt-Br with the current quality.

3 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Sorry, does the whole world revolve around just you? 

Right back at'cha, matey.

But instead of getting upset, we could do the rational thing and recognize these opinions as representative samples of the anime hobbyist community.  It's illustrative of why most distributors releasing newly licensed shows to streaming release them subs-only at first: because that's what a plurality, if not the majority, of the hobbyist community wants from new releases anyway.  They can loop back and add the dub later and it's no skin off anyone's back as long as there's enough interest to justify the expense.

As it's also been said before, it's just plain WAY cheaper to sub, rather than dub. 
Funny thing is, i may renew my D+ because of Macross. Not because of SW, strange times..🤔

Children, just be glad it's available for streaming...in North America. Worry about a dub later.

Meanwhile, I'm just gonna wait till it comes out on physical media, where I don't have to worry that it gets removed from streaming like...tomorrow.

As a huge macross, and I’ll say it Robotech fan this seems so bizarre to me. The first thought that came to mind was the mature content of macross. The shows dives deep into some really intense adult topics. Specifically Guld’s entire arch! Then there’s  the macross 7 pantie episode, were they have a character’s who’s soul purpose is to pull up a girls skirt, on a sun flower shaped ship. Macross 7 dynamite? You know! I assumed that’s why it’s under the Hulu Brand more so than Disney +Glad to see they didn’t get sdf series or Dyrl? Makes Robotech /harmony gold seems like some vestige of a bygone age. Why does harmony gold have a real estate website that’s exactly like the old Robotech website! Will some one please think of harmony gold? What will they do? 

I assume that scroll was intended to be satire, but HG is a real estate company if anyone didn't know. The anime stuff was a side hustle lol.

If you think about it, it does feel a bit out-of-character for a company like Disney that has prided itself for a literal century on being a provider of unobjectionable, appropriate-for-all-ages, family friendly fun and entertainment to start carrying a medium like anime that often contains violence, potentially offensive humor, and fanservice of a sexual nature.

Esp. now that Disney+ and Hulu have effectively merged and you can access Hulu's catalog via the Disney+ app.

It's just a weird thought to think that something with as much blatant fanservice as Code Geass: Roze of the Recapture can be watched on Disney+ now. 🤣

4 hours ago, Cheese3 said:

The first thought that came to mind was the mature content of macross. The shows dives deep into some really intense adult topics. Specifically Guld’s entire arch! Then there’s  the macross 7 pantie episode, were they have a character’s who’s soul purpose is to pull up a girls skirt, on a sun flower shaped ship. Macross 7 dynamite?

They’re getting a bit more open for sure, even in their most recent original, there was the whole lesbian space Jesus thing and some awkward fan service for the ladies when Smilo took a skinny dip and asked OSHA if she’d like to join in. Old Disney never would’ve okayed that, let alone old Lucas films, but it’s a new millennium and a new Touchstone. (I still think there was something going on with that name)

What I find funny, is that they leave some otherwise "classic" films I was subjected to due to school viewings off their service; Watcher in the Woods and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Guess they wish those were a part of the Touchstone/Buena Vista catalog.  

I recently turned 50 and I remember the good old days of waiting patiently for someone to get a VHS in and there were no subs.  You just watched it and enjoyed it.

I'm okay with subs if that's what Disney does in the US.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Using my VPN to pretend I'm watching from Japan isn't a huge hassle, but was there any word of any of this making it's way to US Disney+?

I think there was a poster a page or so back that had a 2024 for the year, but no specific date at least for all the non og stuff. I don’t see why they’re being so slow on the U.S. release compared to other places though, but hopefully by the end of year. Does it give subtitles with the Japanese D+ for the original series and Dyrl?

22 minutes ago, Big s said:

I think there was a poster a page or so back that had a 2024 for the year, but no specific date at least for all the non og stuff. I don’t see why they’re being so slow on the U.S. release compared to other places though, but hopefully by the end of year. Does it give subtitles with the Japanese D+ for the original series and Dyrl?

Dunno. I just tried logging on from a Tokyo server and got an error about Disney+ not being available in all regions. Tried again from an Osaka server and was able to get in with the "looks like you're traveling" message, but the only Macross that's coming up is Frontier, Delta, 7, and Plus. No Zero, SDF, DYRL, or 2.

Can confirm Delta has English subs, though 

28 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Dunno. I just tried logging on from a Tokyo server and got an error about Disney+ not being available in all regions. Tried again from an Osaka server and was able to get in with the "looks like you're traveling" message, but the only Macross that's coming up is Frontier, Delta, 7, and Plus. No Zero, SDF, DYRL, or 2.

Can confirm Delta has English subs, though 

I guess that’s promising since the U.S. may not be getting the og stuff at all, just seems like D+ might have gotten tricky with the vpn

• 2 weeks later...