Macross streaming on Disney+ (under the "Star" label; Star/Hulu of D+)

9 hours ago, Beko Pharm said:

Care to elaborate? Feel free to dm. Just asking because I find myself currently in a re-watch (and dead gods this aged badly).

Since I don't watch dubs, it didn't occur to me until I saw Big s's post... Zethus is probably referring to the way Netflix picked up the Neon Genesis Evangelion license years after it was abandoned following the collapse od ADV Films, and/or the new translation and dub they produced for it that fan consensus seems to hold is vastly inferior to the one done under ADV Films.

So I guess the answer in the first part would be yes... it's similar to how Netflix picked up the Evangelion license.

In the second part, not so much.  It's already been confirmed that Macross II, at the very least, is going to be released with its original English dub in addition to subtitled Japanese, and presumably that'll be what Disney+ uses as well.  It wouldn't make sense to do a clean translation of the OVA for the home video release and have the streaming service do a different clean translation at the same time.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Dubbed? 

Subs only, according to below, which is not surprising to me in the least. 

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-07-10/disney-in-u.k-is-now-streaming-macross-frontier-and-macross-delta/.213082

I don’t believe we will ever get dubbed versions of these shows, and I’m personally OK with that. I’m just glad that official English subs of Frontier now exist.

2 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-07-10/disney-in-u.k-is-now-streaming-macross-frontier-and-macross-delta/.213082

I don’t believe we will ever get dubbed versions of these shows, and I’m personally OK with that. I’m just glad that official English subs of Frontier now exist.

Thanks for info. But meh. Easy pass for me. 

Not sure on Disney’s current voice actors. But I don’t see a major problem with them dubbing these. They still give an audio option on their shows and if the dub is bad, just go with the subs

6 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

A friend tipped me off about this last night and while I've only had time to see a little bit of the first episode of "Frontier"... bloody hell. A "Macross" series. Streaming. In the UK! My younger self scouring "Boots" for VHS copies of random "Robotech" episodes would never have believed it!

I may be missing something - as I say, I didn't have to play around last night - but the subs I saw were Closed Captioned?

10 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I may be missing something - as I say, I didn't have to play around last night - but the subs I saw were Closed Captioned?

That is a thing on most (if not all) of the anime they host. I double checked a few others and all the English subtitles are CC that I saw.

15 hours ago, Old_Nash_II said:

In Brazil, they not  release any series

Nothing in Europe and Latam. Moreover there are rumors that Disney+ won't stream any Macross in France. Hard to really know what's going on and if some territories will be skipped.

5 hours ago, SSK said:

Nothing in Europe and Latam. Moreover there are rumors that Disney+ won't stream any Macross in France. Hard to really know what's going on and if some territories will be skipped.

Robotech still strong on Latam

On 7/12/2024 at 7:09 PM, Focslain said:

That is a thing on most (if not all) of the anime they host. I double checked a few others and all the English subtitles are CC that I saw.

Okay, thanks. I don't watch much anime any more these days (just too much other stuff to do) and didn't know if there was something I was missing.

Am I the only one that thinks the fonts used for the logos are really bad?

How does the quality compare to the Blu-ray releases?

I just have 1 question: when the &$@$ pineapple saladed hell will Disney start streaming it in Canada? All I can find is 2024 which isn't all that helpful seeing as that is anywhere from now to 11:59 pm Dec 31.

Sorry for this. Just had to vent

So far here in Hong Kong, Disney+ has added the 3 Frontier movies & the 2 Delta movies on 12th July.

The Frontier TV series and Delta TV series were just added a day or two ago.

Still no sign of Macross 7 TV series though😭

29 minutes ago, Graham said:

So far here in Hong Kong, Disney+ has added the 3 Frontier movies & the 2 Delta movies on 12th July.

The Frontier TV series and Delta TV series were just added a day or two ago.

Very cool.

We know what we're getting outside of Japan, but when depends on the country and is not always clear. 

For the US, it's everything post 1987, so no SDFM or DYRL. The when is still unknown but I highly suspect it's sooner than later based on other countries rollouts, but that's just my guess.

On 7/14/2024 at 1:09 AM, camk4evr said:

I just have 1 question: when the &$@$ pineapple saladed hell will Disney start streaming it in Canada? All I can find is 2024 which isn't all that helpful seeing as that is anywhere from now to 11:59 pm Dec 31.

Sorry for this. Just had to vent

Just reading around, sounds like Delta  and Frontier are now available in Canada.

20 minutes ago, azrael said:

Sounds like a "No". 🤷‍♂️ We need the Canadian D+ subscribers to confirm.

I'm US but... Canada works by VPN (I still pay for D+ and I had to see if it worked lol).

Anyway, subs only. As expected, and likely, how it will always be.

1 minute ago, Master Dex said:

I'm US but... Canada works by VPN (I still pay for D+ and I had to see if it worked lol).

Anyway, subs only. As expected, and likely, how it will always be.

It’s probably for the best, English dubs haven’t been all that great in a long time. Some dubs back in the 90’s were actually really great, but I struggle to think of many or any recent ones. I’d probably get ticked off the moment I heard an English voice actor say “even so” again for the millionth time.

I swear that there must be a rule that every English dub has to include that line in every project they work on , sometimes several times as though there’s a quota 

4 minutes ago, Big s said:

It’s probably for the best, English dubs haven’t been all that great in a long time. Some dubs back in the 90’s were actually really great, but I struggle to think of many or any recent ones. I’d probably get ticked off the moment I heard an English voice actor say “even so” again for the millionth time.

I swear that there must be a rule that every English dub has to include that line in every project they work on , sometimes several times as though there’s a quota 

You can't say it's for the best. There's a great deal of the population that doesn't enjoy reading the screen while not being fully absorbed by the visuals. 

Yeah sure, there's not so good dubs, but certainly if we understood Japanese, we would also be complaining how there's also some not so good Japanese voice actors. 

2 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

You can't say it's for the best. There's a great deal of the population that doesn't enjoy reading the screen while not being fully absorbed by the visuals. 

Yeah sure, there's not so good dubs, but certainly if we understood Japanese, we would also be complaining how there's also some not so good Japanese voice actors. 

I only say that because I haven’t heard any good dubs lately and have high doubts that this would be any different, so I’ll still say probably for the best, but I’d love to be proven wrong because I’d love to be able to watch the action without having to read captions 

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

"Subs vs. dubs" is an argument for the ages, but the reality of the situation is that subs-only is the norm for new anime releases on streaming.

The profit margin on anime is razor thin.  Dubbing is expensive, and as often as not dubs are poorly received and harshly criticized for quality issues particularly related to casting.  Music-heavy anime gets hit with the latter twice as hard, since the choice is between getting reamed over casting decisions thanks to the switching of languages highlighting any sub-optimal casting choices or paying a princely sum to re-record the music.  Since the enthusiast community leans heavy subs anyway, a lot of distributors seem to prefer doing subs first to get the series on streaming ASAP and coming back to get the dub on a second pass if and only if the series is well-received.  

2 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

... you mean you don't? 😵‍💫

I know I do.

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

"Subs vs. dubs" is an argument for the ages, but the reality of the situation is that subs-only is the norm for new anime releases on streaming.

The profit margin on anime is razor thin.  Dubbing is expensive, and as often as not dubs are poorly received and harshly criticized for quality issues particularly related to casting.  Music-heavy anime gets hit with the latter twice as hard, since the choice is between getting reamed over casting decisions thanks to the switching of languages highlighting any sub-optimal casting choices or paying a princely sum to re-record the music.  Since the enthusiast community leans heavy subs anyway, a lot of distributors seem to prefer doing subs first to get the series on streaming ASAP and coming back to get the dub on a second pass if and only if the series is well-received.  

... you mean you don't? 😵‍💫

I know I do.

I can rattle off numerous anime I'd rather watch dubbed than dubbed because I don't like one or  more of the actors. And even a number of live action Japanese movies. Hell, one of my favourite Godzilla movies is just  full of crappy acting (it's part of it's charm).

12 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I haven’t really watched as many new titles, but it still seems like a lot still have a dub option. Are the majority really only subs now?

I still think I’d prefer a Dub if the cast was decent, but unfortunately I don’t have faith in the modern voice acting for anime. I’ve seen some decent American cartoons with a decent cast, but those were mostly actual actors that cost real money. As far as anime with fairly decent localization, I still hold Cowboy Bebop as the gold standard for excellence, but there were a few greats other than that around the 90’s that sounded pretty great, I still like Outlaw Star and a few other sunrise animation ones above the usual funimation crowd that was popping up. Just the voice acting has kinda dropped off since then as if they only hire fans to do the dubs these days to save cash.

If it's coming from Funimation, Viz, or Animeigo it's most likely (not gauranteed) to have a dub. Other companies (ie Section 23, Sentai Filmworks) are less likely to have dubs. 

I think part of the reason, besides cost, is that so many are being licensed for streaming that only the ones they think will have the widest appeal/have the most faith/most popular in will be dubbed (ie My Hero Academia, Is it Wrong to try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon)

12 hours ago, camk4evr said:

I can rattle off numerous anime I'd rather watch dubbed than dubbed because I don't like one or  more of the actors. And even a number of live action Japanese movies. Hell, one of my favourite Godzilla movies is just  full of crappy acting (it's part of it's charm).

Everyone has their own preferences, naturally.

I know that I've found a number of dubs frustrating because characters have been recast mid-series, which ultimately put me off the dub entirely because the new voice actor was way less suitable to the character.  Like when Saiyuki replaced David Matranga with Lex Lang as the voice actor for Sanzo.  Lex Lang's a really good voice actor, but he was just the wrong guy for the role and it took me right the hell out of the series.  

7 hours ago, Big s said:

I haven’t really watched as many new titles, but it still seems like a lot still have a dub option. Are the majority really only subs now?

Most, yeah... at least initially.  Simulcasts are a big part of anime streaming these days, so most new shows that are streaming on services like Crunchyroll, HiDive, etc. come out subs-only at first because that's faster.  Cheaper too, but speed is what matters.  They loop back later and add dubs for the shows that performed well enough to merit the extra investment.

The older shows dumped onto those services from back catalogs tend to come with dubs already because they were previously released with dubs on DVD back before streaming was even a thing.

7 hours ago, Big s said:

I still think I’d prefer a Dub if the cast was decent, but unfortunately I don’t have faith in the modern voice acting for anime. I’ve seen some decent American cartoons with a decent cast, but those were mostly actual actors that cost real money. As far as anime with fairly decent localization, I still hold Cowboy Bebop as the gold standard for excellence, but there were a few greats other than that around the 90’s that sounded pretty great, I still like Outlaw Star and a few other sunrise animation ones above the usual funimation crowd that was popping up. Just the voice acting has kinda dropped off since then as if they only hire fans to do the dubs these days to save cash.

Cowboy Bebop had a phenomenal dub... unfortunately that kind of led to Steve Blum being absolutely bloody everywhere in the 2000s.  The voice actor pool just isn't big enough to have decent variety outside Japan.  (Steve Blum got especially bad in games.  I remember Quake IV being a really awful case where 90% of the characters were voiced by Steve... such that the majority of the in-game dialog was him talking to other characters also voiced by him.  Truly, that was a case of "Me's a crowd".)

Unfortunately those good dubs are more the exception than the rule... Outlaw StarCowboy BebopTrigunSaiyuki, Full Metal Panic!... for every one of those there were fifty awful screech-a-thons with bored voice actors sleepwalking through the script.