DX Chogokin VT-1 Super Ostrich

MKT

Mine showed up overnight via FedEx from LP today, in perfect condition. 

Still waiting on my YF-21 from LP, however. Both were PO from LP, back in January. I was told my 21 will ship next week... 

38 minutes ago, Agent-GHQ said:

did you get hit with custom bill?

Fast/Express Shipping via FedEx to TN in 1-day didn't incur any additional custom bill.  Perfect shipping and delivery.  No hassle.  Arrived in perfect condition.  YMMV.

11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Yeah, I saw that first listing last night while browsing Mandarake and it showed in stock, in the time it took me to login into my account, it then said SOLD... that was super fast! 

Really is a beautiful one, going to be fun setting up displays for it. ^_^

I'm really glad they included the extra figures for it as well, since that helps solve a completely different problem I have.. I'll probably repaint one flightsuited Hikaru as Roy, and do some components swapping to make myself a DYRL version of his VF-1S, since Bandai seems completely uninterested in releasing that version.

Unless that'll be the next one we get, of course.  Maybe they'll throw out a Strike Roy VF-1S as the next 40th anniversary release before getting to the VE-1.  Would be great if they bundled in the missiles too, but I'm not getting any hopes up.

I am so lucky with these recent DX purchases, seriously WTH.
Open the box and I have a broken tail fin.
At least I can officially confirm that its molded in ORANGE.
Bought from Mercari, so no one to help.

Guess we'll see how well super-glue works.

image.png.007f8f6d98feba36256c75b3a94d7013.png

image.png.515ef25b02df3adce3d97f25633b351f.png

15 minutes ago, Shawn said:

ouch!  at least with these VT-1s, the "broken parts upon arrival", aren't as bad as the YF-21s that just came out?  still, sorry to see your tail fin like that  :(

Hate to say this, but saw the same when I opened the box from LP. :(

They initially say I should reach Bandai, but the shipping box does have a slight dent, so it may be due to a drop during shipping. It's hard to say for sure. Still, I am talking with LP about it to see what will be done.

If it IS a defective item, and Bandai is responsible, am I up the creek without a paddle being in the USA?

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Oh man. Sorry to hear about the tailfin. Now I'm worried about mine. But I don't want to cut the tape on the box.

On 7/26/2024 at 7:39 AM, magicsp00n said:

All three Bandai Super Os. (Don't have yamato.)

image.jpeg.92dabc3ef55f2b860496709d1b57a560.jpeg

Nice line up. I don't have the 1/55, but here are my collection of VT'sCM_Photogrid_1722124853958.png.8e91a781c54c957d41bacdacbb366baf.png

I guess I should put it all back into the box and shake it to see if you could hear it through the packaging huh lol

Then you could tell without opening the box.

The tail fins don't fold, so any pressure on the outside of the box could snap them.
I tried moving the stub in the backpack so I could try to glue it but its wedged in there, so until I find out how to disassemble the backpack it will be in permanent battroid mode.

20240727_173022.jpg

The tail fins on the vt-1 do not fold at all, meaning they have no 'give' at any angle. They are not removable either.
I need to search and see if anyone has taken the DX VF-1 apart so I can see if I can crack open my backpack, so I can pivot the stub and try a glue.

But I fear if I did come up with a repair, if I tried to clip the tailfin into the back clips, when I tried to unclip it would probably break again, its quite a secure snap.
Right now the right side clip is holding the backup up in battroid. I clipped in the loose tailfin just to maintain some sort of symmetry, but its just loose.

Bandai had how many release of the DX so far...and they just had to change something that could allow a break.
Frustrated that I spent $268 plus shipping here. I think I'm changing my policy to only buy open box used products from now on. Its just not worth the hassle of spinning the "Bandai is it going to be broken' roulette wheel when you open a sealed item.

1 hour ago, vt102 said:

Damn that sucks. I thought the fins were like the Yamato/Arcadia ones, which were smaller than the regular valks, but could still fold

The VT-1 tails have never been able to fold all the way that I know of, even on the Yamato.  They just didn't have as much of a drastic redesign, or what looks like as fragile a connection as the Bandai one does.  The plastic really does look thin there.  I wonder if someone in Japan could get the replacement part for you with your photos.

I do think someone took apart the entire DX VF-1 early in the release cycle to repaint it in another set of markings, so you should find some helpful posts in the forum history somewhere.  If you're able to get the backpack apart to access that hinge, it might be thick enough to drill into and repair with a metal pin to hold it together.

As far as the tail clips on the backplate go though, I've never found a reason to use them.  They definitely put stress on the tail hinges, and they've always looked funky to me, so I'm not going to risk it.  Though, I have to give credit to Yamato for coming up with a less disruptive design for them, and in a smaller scale no less,  Bandai's hinged ones take huge chunks out of the upper surface of the plane. <_< 

Wow seriously Bandai? 2 consecutive blunders in a row, on DX's no less? Don't have a Yamato Ostrich, but the tail on DX with large surface area on a now fixed small connection point is just a terrible idea.  

Sorry to hear this @Shawn @Radioguy.

And since its officially a Japan-only item, the chance of official support is really up to the seller in Japan to get replacements. Judging by nature of break it doesn't look like it's a swappable part, so even if seller somehow manages to get support, the whole item likely needs to be sent in for exchange. 

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

The VT-1 tails have never been able to fold all the way that I know of, even on the Yamato.  They just didn't have as much of a drastic redesign, or what looks like as fragile a connection as the Bandai one does.  The plastic really does look thin there.  I wonder if someone in Japan could get the replacement part for you with your photos.

I do think someone took apart the entire DX VF-1 early in the release cycle to repaint it in another set of markings, so you should find some helpful posts in the forum history somewhere.  If you're able to get the backpack apart to access that hinge, it might be thick enough to drill into and repair with a metal pin to hold it together.

As far as the tail clips on the backplate go though, I've never found a reason to use them.  They definitely put stress on the tail hinges, and they've always looked funky to me, so I'm not going to risk it.  Though, I have to give credit to Yamato for coming up with a less disruptive design for them, and in a smaller scale no less,  Bandai's hinged ones take huge chunks out of the upper surface of the plane. <_< 

Thank you for the clarification. Shows how much I know. I actually didn't even take my Yamato one out of the box. Once I bought it. Opened the flap, then put it away.

14 hours ago, MKT said:

Wow seriously Bandai? 2 consecutive blunders in a row, on DX's no less? Don't have a Yamato Ostrich, but the tail on DX with large surface area on a now fixed small connection point is just a terrible idea.  

Sorry to hear this @Shawn @Radioguy.

And since its officially a Japan-only item, the chance of official support is really up to the seller in Japan to get replacements. Judging by nature of break it doesn't look like it's a swappable part, so even if seller somehow manages to get support, the whole item likely needs to be sent in for exchange. 

Yeah, I feel like I'm in limbo here.

Wish I were a cat. At least I could enjoy playing with the box.

Edited by Radioguy

Hmmm.... DHL tracking shows that my VT-1 went from Yoyakunow to Osaka to Cincinnati to New York to Boston.... and now the status is "Shipment is on hold" with red status bar and now I am all freaking out and wondering if something bad happened and I am spiraling and my daughter is wondering what is wrong with her mother and I am confusing her by telling her my Super Ostrich is on hold and she thinks a bird with a long neck is coming and.......

image.png.d303c3cc575526c4d08711a36ee97347.png

4 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Hmmm.... DHL tracking shows that my VT-1 went from Yoyakunow to Osaka to Cincinnati to New York to Boston.... and now the status is "Shipment is on hold" with red status bar and now I am all freaking out and wondering if something bad happened and I am spiraling and my daughter is wondering what is wrong with her mother and I am confusing her by telling her my Super Ostrich is on hold and she thinks a bird with a long neck is coming and.......

You might want to contact the DHL customer service and see if they have more information on why it is being held.

Edited by pengbuzz

5 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

You might want to contact the DHL customer service and see if they have more information on why it is being held.

... and I am so proud of Valkyria. I told her my Super Ostrich is flying here from Japan, but she said that ostriches cannot fly.

I had to tell her this one can because it is a Super Ostrich, just like how Superman can fly.

God, she is going to be 3 years old soon!

Thanks @pengbuzz.  Since it is Sunday, I am will check with DHL tomorrow if my package is still on hold status!

Just now, Shizuka the Cat said:

At first glance doesn't seems something bad

Screenshot_20240728-132042.png

28 minutes ago, grogall said:

True! but it could also mean... Look here. 😳

maxresdefault-7.jpg

Yep. I'm used to my package take a bit long, even if shipped via EMS, my postal service is reliable and the packages that have take the longest time to arrive boxes only show more crushing than normal. Haven't lost anything or have to open a complain for damages in 20+ years of collecting.

Edited by Froy

3 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

... and I am so proud of Valkyria. I told her my Super Ostrich is flying here from Japan, but she said that ostriches cannot fly.

I had to tell her this one can because it is a Super Ostrich, just like how Superman can fly.

God, she is going to be 3 years old soon!

Thanks @pengbuzz.  Since it is Sunday, I am will check with DHL tomorrow if my package is still on hold status!

No problem. Try not to worry if you can; sometimes these things just happen and it's a minor glitch. It'll probably be underway soon. :)