DX Chogokin VT-1 Super Ostrich

MKT

As a huge fan of DYRL and the VT-1 I'm super excited for this DX 1/48 release.

Makes me think back to my days in the early-to-mid 90s of trying to track down the Bandai 1/55 VT-1 and really regretting not snagging it when I saw it in a shop in Hong Kong in 86 or 87.

So one more week till Bandai finally releases the flock... Sadly I don't think we will see pictures until the 19th. or 20th. Hope @tekering gets his early and gives us lots of shots and comparison pictures to the VF-1D 😉

image.jpeg.c96d67cb9ebe816f58fd9cd847735412.jpeg

I'm getting excited about this one than receiving my YF-21 at this point. :rolleyes:

But seeing how Bandai's QC these days, hope we don't get 2 left arms or 2 left boosters for the VT-1. :spiteful:

:lol: 

One of the boosters has that antenna thingy sticking out... hopefully that doesn't get bent, or at least make it a separate piece with extras like the Gerwalk antenna.

I still have yet to open any of my VF-1D's....in fact, the only DX's I have opened were the recent 'Mechanic' VF-1S and only to take out the SSP, a previous VF-1S Hikaru that I bought used to keep my others sealed, a GBP armor set, and one of my original Hikaru VF-1Js.....the DX's do nothing for me, it's probably because they are 1/48, which was cool back when Yamato first released their 1/48 VF-1, but then that scale became obsolete when 1/60 became the 'standard' VF scale....I'll probably end up keeping my VT-1's sealed for now...

....unless another Bandai'd situation comes to light! ;)

Edited by jvmacross

Generally, if I have two of something, I'm usually not opening both (although some army build, or rather squadron build here and open many), so I am definitely opening the Ostrich as I ordered just the one so far.

If it comes in the original brown shipper, there will be a pause though. To make the decision to open TWO things to get to it may require an additional night's sleep. 😄

Since there's really nothing to be gained or lost by opening tape holding a box closed (they aren't shrink-wrapped), I'll usually open everything and check for defects.

Anything that needs fixing I'll try and fix myself and keep, but if something is defect free, I'll keep it that way in case I need to sell it later.

17 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Since there's really nothing to be gained or lost by opening tape holding a box closed (they aren't shrink-wrapped)...

Well, the brown shipper. The retailer may or may not include that.

On 7/11/2024 at 9:25 AM, MKT said:

One of the boosters has that antenna thingy sticking out... hopefully that doesn't get bent, or at least make it a separate piece with extras like the Gerwalk antenna.

Yes it's a separate piece, even comes with a spare! Just wander what is "Abdominal detail up parts left and right"!?

image.png.2a9e283a75f62c6e2bad0eb87312d3ba.png

Edited by grogall

I wonder if the tail fins are removable...I might have to take an extra set from the Angel Birds and try to match the orange.
I really really really want the VT-1 in fighter mode with NORMAL sized tailfins, these shorties really bug me.

1000204082_7.jpg

vs the VF-1D for reference

item_0000013540_Oxl5gwka_03.jpg

On 1/25/2024 at 9:05 PM, grogall said:

Compare to the VF-1D

image.jpeg.e925d9d461f75178754ccb6bdccda500.jpeg

image.jpeg.80f8b79baf441fd07e9a27f901fda5a6.jpeg

First it looks like they have the same peg mechanism as the Angel Bird. The small ailerons  wouldn't bother me but I would display it with fast packs anyway. And I posted a comparison of the two back on page 3. The only thing that bothers me are the tabs that fold out for the ailerons that hold them in place when the backpack is flipped over...

image.jpeg.895f722a969772c8325fb7dae0a96799.jpeg.601b73469a2a7594a608023f29df7394.jpeg

Edited by grogall

On 7/5/2024 at 12:00 AM, Graham said:

As a huge fan of DYRL and the VT-1 I'm super excited for this DX 1/48 release.

Makes me think back to my days in the early-to-mid 90s of trying to track down the Bandai 1/55 VT-1 and really regretting not snagging it when I saw it in a shop in Hong Kong in 86 or 87.

I 'missed out' on the 1/55 in , i believe 1985/86 at 'Fuji Oriental Market' in Palmdale California. I was 12/13 yrs old and my parents got me the Hikaru VF-1A and VF-1S  from DYRL, the shop also had the Ostrich, but it was in a case and not for sale. Of course. I wanted it ever since but the price.. Needless to say I have ordered this one!

Everything is more or less very easy to get these days....this one to me does not feel as special as the original 1/55 VT-1...actually nothing since the Yamato VF-1 V1 actually feels like anything special for me....it's probably a combination of nostalgia and the difficulty in acquiring the original 1/55 outside of Japan during the mid 80's....back then there was no internet or instant payments via Paypal....we had mail order catalogs and paid via checks and money orders and somehow it worked!  That's how it was and we liked it....we loved it!

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

$50 in 1985 is equivalent to $146 today.

You can't always count on those inflation calculators to be accurate. They're based on the records of increasingly cooked inflation numbers.

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

They just uploaded the VT-1 instruction sheet

https://tamashiiweb.com/images/item/item_0000014813_sK5nUNBc_300.pdf

Wonder how many times you can transform without wearing down the paint on the tail fins to the back.

Maybe we can hope they did the smart thing, and molded the tails in orange with tan tips?  Not likely.. but I don't plan to use those regardless.  They won't be necessary with the booster packs holding things in place.

Far as the tent goes though, I expect it's either a piece of cardboard in the box, or they expect you to print it out and make it yourself from a page loaded with a QR code.

2 hours ago, Froy said:

And seems Bandai didn't do nothing to improve the pegs that old the legs.

Pssh.  To make an improvement would require them to acknowledge it was a bad design to begin with, which I sincerely doubt will ever happen.

Edited by Chronocidal

Like it! It's nice that it comes with the banking display stand adapter but wish they would finally sell the stand separately!

Whats with the circle in the arm? only the VT-1 and VE-1 have these. 

The back pack also has the extra booster. the head looks great, was very disappointed with the head on the 1/55 wich was just black.

So lets hope for some unboxing's by the weekend

Back to drooling over the manual...🤗

On 7/11/2024 at 5:48 AM, Shawn said:

My VF-1D is still sealed too...lol
but I picked up a loose one on the cheap for display, and the orange really pops
The VT-1 will definitely get opened

image.png.e1fe845069d224cc52939a7a5c817770.png

Very nice. I wish I could get my hands on a loose one too.