sh9000

• 3 weeks later...
  • azrael changed the title to Terminator Zero: The Anime Series
  • 2 weeks later...

It's an interesting peak, and I like that it somewhat pays homage to the old T2 factory teaser trailer from 1990. But, we've been lured by snazzy visuals and designs in the past and gotten a spoon full of dog crap. So until I see this thing for myself I'm just gonna be hopeful it's gonna be good. 

Well, the music was kinda nice. Animation style I don't have a problem with since it's going back to the more traditional sense versus what neflix usually does being CG toon-shade BS. The inside look I kinda scratched my head on when they talked about weapons....it's 2022, you'd almost think both the resistance and skynet forces would be using plasma weapons or early stages of it maybe....not a freaking handgun with a digital ammo counter.
Also, not sure how we get T-800's in 2022 since they were new in original Terminator, I would had suspected by 2026 or 2027 those were running off the line....not 7 years prior. I dunno maybe I'm reading into the lore to hard core and I should just enjoy it for what it is, something different for Terminator content that isn't Salvation, Genesys or Dark Fate. 

4 hours ago, Hikuro said:

not sure how we get T-800's in 2022 since they were new in original Terminator, I would had suspected by 2026 or 2027 those were running off the line...

The advantage to time-travel stories like The Terminator is that there are infinite possible futures, which is how each subsequent sequel managed to rewrite the timeline and further muck up the continuity.  The series was blatantly contradicting itself as early as T2. 🤨

I just finished all 8 episodes, it wasn't bad, it def. went in a different direction I think. But here's my thoughts.

Spoiler

There's a lot to think about, because Time travel is a bunch of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. Both Malcolm who was from a different future where the war goes all the time to 2040's, and the "prophet" acknowledge that every time you go to the past, you create a new future, but it never alters their present. So even if they stop judgement day, you create a new reality, so this is what's been explained in Avengers or Dragonball Z for instance.....and it's joked around a bit that every time Skynet or the Resistance sends someone back, it never changes what's happening in their present, it only creates a new future for a new reality, so things will never change in the current. 
It sort of hurts the brain in a way. So now the question is, will Kokoro actually protect what's left of humanity, which has already been devastated and a vast majority dead, or will things go to hell at some point because the series leaves rather open ended for a 2nd season if approved...which I won't lie I'll be really surprised if it does, I have a feeling a lot of fans are gonna trash this series due to the stigmatism the other sequels have created since T2.   

1 hour ago, Hikuro said:
Spoiler

There's a lot to think about, because Time travel is a bunch of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. Both Malcolm who was from a different future where the war goes all the time to 2040's, and the "prophet" acknowledge that every time you go to the past, you create a new future, but it never alters their present. So even if they stop judgement day, you create a new reality, [...]

Nice to know they're being consistent with the last couple Terminator features... that's basically the explanation the franchise has been rolling with since Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.  

Spoiler

You CAN change the past... you just can't change YOUR past.

Using time travel to change the past doesn't retrocausally change or destroy the timeline the time traveler came from like it does in Back to the Future.  Every time you try to change the past using time travel, you instead end up creating a new parallel universe and timeline that are completely independent from the one you just left and whatever the time travelers do only affects that new timeline's future.

It's why they keep saying you can't prevent Judgement Day, you can only delay it.  Someone is inevitably going to develop Skynet or a Skynet-like AI that will go rogue and attempt to destroy Humanity... but dicking with the timeline can kick the can down the road in each new timeline that's created.

This was actually pretty important in Terminator Genisys, where the T-5000 that created the T-3000 was a version of Skynet that developed interdimensional travel and has been watching other versions of itself lose in all the different timelines it visits.

Spoiler

Funnily enough, this means Skynet's development and use of time travel in every timeline where it develops it has been a huge waste of its time.  You can't change your own past, so every timeline where it tries to save itself from imminent defeat by changing the past it's just flinging Terminators into other universes willy-nilly with zero chance of achieving the result it wants.

Scores are finally in, RT has given it a 100% which surprised me. Audience reaction sits at 89% which even for me I think is a little high. And IGmeh gave is a 7/10. IMDB 7.2, Empire Mag is 4/5 and google reviews are at a 4.6.

a lot of the comments are about the fresh perspective the series takes the aging franchise, and that writers took the time to craft a well thought out story going back to not just the roots but the dark sci-fi violent chill the first film presented.

I finished watching it. Overall I like it. For me, it is by far miles upon miles better than anything past T3. But while T3 wasn't really needed, it at least showed that no matter what we humans did, judgement day was going to happen because skynet is just going to skynet. I felt the last 3 movies really wasted an opportunity to really show the grittiness and how violent and desperate the future war with the machines would be. They tried to...but to me it was lackluster. Terminator Zero seems to set up for it though. Needless to say, when comparing it to the last 3 films, this was something I felt should have been a story told instead of what we got. But again, that's just me.

Don't have Netflix, haven't seen the show.  But that above first 6 minutes clip didn't sell me on it.  That whole action sequence was just too contrived for my liking.  One thing I always appreciated about the first Terminator movie was how un-cool the action pieces were.  No unnecessary flips or jumps or anything like that.  That whole bridge sequence in the above clip just didn't turn my crank.

I'll just say the last good TERMINATOR media was the Sarah Connor Chronicles on FOX who f'ing cancelled it. An anime series pretty much tells me the franchise is about dead and its probably a good thing it is. Hollywood should move on and look for something original to make, its out there I'm sure. 

Edited by TangledThorns

1 minute ago, TangledThorns said:

Hollywood should move on and look for something original to make, its out there I'm sure.

Of course it's out there... not just original scripts, but novels and comic books ripe for film adaptation.

What ISN'T out there, however, is:

• a producer with deep pockets and the courage to gamble on a project without an established market base
  • a thriving home video market to fall back on if the film doesn't immediately find an audience in theaters
  • a studio willing to spend as much on marketing as on the production itself, knowing they'll have to make back FOUR TIMES the production budget just to break even

Frankly, the situation is almost as bad in Japan, where an anime series can't get produced without a hit manga, video game, or light novel to adapt any more...  Original sci-fi epics like Yamato, Gundam or Evangelion just don't get made any more. 😐

8 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Don't have Netflix, haven't seen the show.  But that above first 6 minutes clip didn't sell me on it.  That whole action sequence was just too contrived for my liking.  One thing I always appreciated about the first Terminator movie was how un-cool the action pieces were.  No unnecessary flips or jumps or anything like that.  That whole bridge sequence in the above clip just didn't turn my crank.

you're actually missing out then, cause there's a lot more to this series than the first 6 minutes you saw. Granted I was hesitant with this due to the track record we've had over the last 20 years with the franchise. But this was very well done and took it back to its roots and I'd say is on par with the original and T2 in a lot of ways. 

9 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I'll just say the last good TERMINATOR media was the Sarah Connor Chronicles on FOX who f'ing cancelled it. An anime series pretty much tells me the franchise is about dead and its probably a good thing it is. Hollywood should move on and look for something original to make, its out there I'm sure. 

I respectfully disagree, SCC was an okay series, I would still put it in a category of meh like the films. The sad thing was that FOX had no faith for the series and it became very apparent with how Season 2 was moving along, just like shows such as Firefly, FOX didn't know what they were doing and when it started to get interesting they cut the cord. 

This series actually pulls off a better story that gets to a point than what SCC could do in 2 seasons, hell the story and movement is better than what Disney has been doing with Star Wars so that should tell you something, the plot is thought out, it never got dull or boring each episode had me going "Hm okay what happens after this?" It had playful nods to the previous films and the characters had a lot of development between their first appearance to their final that changed everything about them.  
Sound and music really helped in pulling off some intense scenes. The Terminator in this goes back to the roots of the first film without spoiling anything for anyone that really made me go "Hell yes, finally, something that doesn't have a gimmick!"
I might actually watch this again to be honest, and that's not something I say often. 

18 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I have Netflix and still haven’t watched it. I’m not into time travel multiverse stuff and I just saw Deadpool and Wolverine last week, so even though that was more of a parody, I need a break from the stuff. It’s the least interesting genre of sci-fi and it’s way overplayed in movies and shows of various franchises and it really just feels like the same thing over and over like Groundhog Day.

the first couple Terminator films and Back to the future came out in a time when the idea was more sparsely used. It didn’t even feel tiring by the time that silly Timecop movie came out, but these days are just way over saturated with it. It’s becoming more common than the unkillable assassin stories. People talk about superhero fatigue, but this is every superhero movie or series and every thing else Sci Fi and fantasy that’s getting released these days. And no matter how new they seem, they’re really just the same boring thing 

Binge watched it last night. I gotta say , i was definitely entertained. And as The Terminator franchise is an OG time travel , multiverse story, i didn't mind that part at all. It's pretty much par for the course. Granted every story doesn't have to include time travel (there's so much more to explore) , but i think this was a good time travel thread that opens up other interesting possibilities.