Beetlejuice Beetlejuice - Sept 6, 2024

• 1 month later...
  • azrael changed the title to Beetlejuice Beetlejuice - Sept 6, 2024
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It wasn't bad, not anywhere near as good as the first film....

Spoiler

Lydia being a talkshow ghost hunt psychic medium sellout was a bit of a head scratcher, and I was sort of at this toss up of Ray, the boyfriend, either being some sort of black widow scammer or someone who really is just attention starved who wants to be noticed all the time. 
Beetlejuice's ex-wife as some sort of villain really felt shoe-horned and totally unnecessary, think she got less screen time than Keaton did in the first movie! You could had the family all back at the house for Charle's funeral, which btw, wow....that was something of a death, yikes, Astrid meets Jeremy while fed up with Lydia and the boyfriends antics, get scammed cause he's dead and the reason's why and Lydia could been using Beetlejuice to help save Astrid crossing into the afterlife while also coming to terms with Astrid's missing dad's whereabouts and get some closure with the dad saving Lydia and Astrid from Beetlejuice.
Still have Dilia's death by the snakes, reunite with Charles, and be done with it. Instead, we got this sort of a mess of a movie with a very awkward and pointless ending credit. 
Every time Keaton is on screen it sort of feels messy and all over the place unlike the original film almost as if Burton really doesn't have a good idea on what to do with the character. Beetlejuice having a sort of Bio-Exorcist business with a hord of shrunkin head minions which I don't think that ever gets sorted out at the end was funny, but sort of pointless.....I felt pretty bad for Bob. 
And the voice overs and song montages, wtf? 

Truthfully I got more holes I can poke at that just doesn't make sense than people can with things like Terminator Zero or Alien Romulus that I think were standup productions.

1 hour ago, Hikuro said:

It wasn't bad, not anywhere near as good as the first film....

Reveal hidden contents

Lydia being a talkshow ghost hunt psychic medium sellout was a bit of a head scratcher, and I was sort of at this toss up of Ray, the boyfriend, either being some sort of black widow scammer or someone who really is just attention starved who wants to be noticed all the time. 
Beetlejuice's ex-wife as some sort of villain really felt shoe-horned and totally unnecessary, think she got less screen time than Keaton did in the first movie! You could had the family all back at the house for Charle's funeral, which btw, wow....that was something of a death, yikes, Astrid meets Jeremy while fed up with Lydia and the boyfriends antics, get scammed cause he's dead and the reason's why and Lydia could been using Beetlejuice to help save Astrid crossing into the afterlife while also coming to terms with Astrid's missing dad's whereabouts and get some closure with the dad saving Lydia and Astrid from Beetlejuice.
Still have Dilia's death by the snakes, reunite with Charles, and be done with it. Instead, we got this sort of a mess of a movie with a very awkward and pointless ending credit. 
Every time Keaton is on screen it sort of feels messy and all over the place unlike the original film almost as if Burton really doesn't have a good idea on what to do with the character. Beetlejuice having a sort of Bio-Exorcist business with a hord of shrunkin head minions which I don't think that ever gets sorted out at the end was funny, but sort of pointless.....I felt pretty bad for Bob. 
And the voice overs and song montages, wtf? 

Truthfully I got more holes I can poke at that just doesn't make sense than people can with things like Terminator Zero or Alien Romulus that I think were standup productions.

I'd like to see it but I'm completely burnt out from sequels this year.

Saw it this weekend...had it's moments but for the most part it didn't work for me....

I liked the flashback-origin scene, my favorite of the entire movie...it was perfect...but the rest just seemed like it was just rehashing the original...

The ending was kind of a mess....but definitely left everything open for a third movie....

Came back from watching 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice,' and though I like to give movies a bit more leeway, this one... I was sadly disappointed. There's a lot of flash and nostalgia, but the story just wasn't there. That's not to say there was no story, but it was lost amid useless scenes and characters. the most I enjoyed about it, other then Jenna Ortega, was the intro.

Spoiler

They should have gotten rid of Lydia being a haunted house talk show host. I would have preferred that they had her as some kind of half-hack medium, being treated as a town joke, and they could have gotten rid of Rory completely, as well as Wolf (Dafoe), as neither brought anything meaningful to the story and were just wastes of time. An afterlife police force was done in RIPD, and much better, IMO. What we needed more of was Dolores and Jeremy, our two baddies, but Dolores (the woman with the staples across her face) is mostly just walking around and sucking the 'life' out of ghosts she comes across in an aimless search for Beetlejuice, and Jeremy is just dumped near the end without any satisfaction. There's no real tension in Jeremy tricking Astrid into trading her life for his, as they don't go into depth with it at all. Just cut to Beetlejuice being Beetlejuice, which is normally great.

Of course, dealing with the character of Charles Deetz will have its 'problems,' which meant they probably just should have made him dead and gone, rather than dead, headless (while still somehow talking) and, like Delores, just aimlessly wandering.
The Maitlands are mentioned, but just in passing, in that they found a 'loophole' in order to move on. And that's all the info we're given. No trying to say that helping Lydia and stopping Beetlejuice in the first movie could have cut their time down in Limbo. No, just gone.
Then there's the whole wedding scene, which was almost painful in the way they did it. Just one long music number with the characters awkwardly acting possessed by Beetlejuice.

Sadly this movie should have been cut down and new scenes added to flesh out the two main arcs, that being Astid/Jeremy and Lydia/Beetlejuice/Delores.

My suggestion, wait for it on streaming.

Edited by Thom

I saw it and was thoroughly entertained. I don't hold up the original as anything special, and I normally don't love Tim Burton movies, so I went in worried I'd be bored, and focused on just enjoying the movie for its own sake with no other expectations.

The whole thing was a treat. It felt like Tim Burton with the self-indulgence turned down to zero (unlike recent Wes Anderson movies). Catherine O'Hara is frakking amazing and I loved her in every scene.

Spoiler

I loved the outrageous baby scenes. Bob was super cute and his death was hilarious yet so sad at the same time. The sight gags were well done.

I thought the Beetlejuice character was actually funnier and less annoying this go round, thankfully.

And who doesn't want to see a Catherine O'Hara/Winona Rider team up in the afterlife?

It was a bit frenetic but totally in a fun way and the different story arcs were resolved satisfactorily IMO.

It seemed like as good a Beetlejuice sequel as anyone could ask for.