Hi-Metal R Fire Bomber (VF-19 Fire Valkyrie, VF-11 MAXL, VF-17T)

sh9000

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Maybe crossed wires and thinking of the VF-0S HMR Max?

But yeah, they'll do weird one-off schemes sometimes, but I'm sure it's dependent on how well the base mold has sold.  The ridiculous abundance of YF-29 repaints is honestly staggering compared with everything else.

Oh yeah, that's it. I knew there was something of his.

Bamco published Macross 30, so it's kind of a reverse case where Bandai just stuffed in some paint jobs for themselves to use for recycling DX molds and did a special one off for the new lead mech. It doesn't seem like anyone else has bothered to borrow those designs. I can imagine Bandai being afraid of the risks of producing toys for anything else hidden deep inside the niche game that isn't at least attached to famous cameos.

13 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

They've done a few non-canon valks. 

YF-29 Max, VF-1S Messer, Anniversary VF-1J,... I'm sure I'm forgetting more.

Max's YF-29 is more canon than the whole Delta TV series... It arguably symbolically carries all of Delta canon and paves way to the next series lol.

Idk about the others, but they sound like something Bandai cooked up for their toy and not designs borrowed from a third party magazine.

The Messer HMR was just a completely baffling choice, full stop.

Why, when Delta has two canon VF-1J schemes seen in the training episode, would they just whip up some bizarre half-cooked transfer design for the scheme of one of the least-interesting characters in the show? (At least, I was under the impression he was, but I don't even try to understand the Japanese character popularity ratings.)

It was DUMB.  And they still have not made those Hayate and Mirage schemes in any format.  Seriously, WTF Bandai? <_< 

Unfortunately, a lot of the best schemes they cooked up for Macross 30 were for toys that Bandai just doesn't seem to care about revisiting, unlike their golden child the YF-29. :rolleyes: 

16 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Thanks for the reminder. For some reason I thought it was something else. Gotta watch again when it comes to D+.

you and me both.....can't wait until it is announced that it is available for streaming on Disney Plus.

Twich

46 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

It was DUMB.  And they still have not made those Hayate and Mirage schemes in any format.  Seriously, WTF Bandai? <_< 

If those were worth a thing to Bandai, we'd be in a parallel timeline where we would have long since had a properly designed DX Wright Immelman's VF-22 that led to a YF-21 shortly after, instead of w/e we finally got this year. Kind of like how 2 seconds of an Isamu cameo got us the 19. But I guess Hayate, Mirage, and Wright themselves aren't cameos, so the cameo valks they used hold a lot less weight to Bandai...

If they're going to do non-canon paints, I'd seriously kill for them to just do every Valk in Skull Squadron colors, like they did with the VF-4G.  I'd buy one of everything in black & gold Jolly Rodgers, and none of the "standard" colors.

Since the chances of Bandai actually doing that are basically zero, though, like I said before, I'm definitely not interested in the Fire Valkyrie.  But I'd buy a VF-19P, either a YF-19 or a VF-19A (prefer the VF-19A, I never cared for the sandy color of the YF-19), and either a VF-19F or S.

Two non-canon with alot of "canons"  V.F.G. Macross Delta VB-6 König that I believe alot of modelers fell in love with (they've already reissued it) and the VF-1AG expansion kit for HMR VF-1 (which @ChristopherB is selling literally right now.)

Gotta be honest, I'm stuck on the difference between non-canon and alternate timeline.  I.e. Macross-2... if any other non-canon tells a story, even in a video game, isn't that an abstracted alternate timeline too?  And when considering "who" made the mechanical designs, M-2 wasn't Kawamori.  

10 hours ago, djivaldi7 said:

Gotta be honest, I'm stuck on the difference between non-canon and alternate timeline.  I.e. Macross-2... if any other non-canon tells a story, even in a video game, isn't that an abstracted alternate timeline too?  And when considering "who" made the mechanical designs, M-2 wasn't Kawamori.  

Generally "non canon" just means things like DYRL which are supposed to be movies that were filmed in-universe, similar to how part of Frontier's plot is the production of a Macross Zero movie.  I think some of the characters in Macross 7 at one point actually discuss watching DYRL in theaters, so the whole thing is really one giant pile of meta-narrative.  The really "fun" question to ask.. was the Macross Zero we watched the in-universe movie, or the actual event? :rofl: 

It's been debated back and forth what the "actual" version of any event really is, with regards to things like the differences between SDFM and DYRL.  The same thing kind of happened with both Frontier and Delta, since the summary movies changed some key events (Frontier's changes were probably the most drastic).  I think the most common consensus is something like "the truth lies somewhere in the middle."  Which.. of course, only Kawamori really knows. ^_^ 

I believe Macross 2 is the only one generally referred to consistently as an "alternate timeline."  While you could speculate it could also be some kind of in-universe production in the canon Macross universe, I think everyone just agrees that since Kawamori wasn't involved (in either the designs or the plot itself), it needs to be placed in a separate category.

17 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Yup, given that they've already shown the Mirage and Hayate HMR 1EX, you'd figure it'd be easy enough for Bandai to just go ahead with production and sell these. I think they would've sold well and would've been much more popular than the non-canon 35th Anniversary Messer grim reaper deco.

1EX.jpeg.2d91c98c16005c00415ea1d82640fcb7.jpeg

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Generally "non canon" just means things like DYRL which are supposed to be movies that were filmed in-universe, similar to how part of Frontier's plot is the production of a Macross Zero movie.  I think some of the characters in Macross 7 at one point actually discuss watching DYRL in theaters, so the whole thing is really one giant pile of meta-narrative.  The really "fun" question to ask.. was the Macross Zero we watched the in-universe movie, or the actual event? :rofl: 

It's been debated back and forth what the "actual" version of any event really is, with regards to things like the differences between SDFM and DYRL.  The same thing kind of happened with both Frontier and Delta, since the summary movies changed some key events (Frontier's changes were probably the most drastic).  I think the most common consensus is something like "the truth lies somewhere in the middle."  Which.. of course, only Kawamori really knows. ^_^ 

Honestly, as someone very new to the franchise, it seems easiest to just assume everything is only truly canon to itself, and references to other stuff doesn't make those things more or less canon.

In more related discussion, having this VF-19 on my desk for a few days makes me really hope we get a VF-22 in HMR at some point. Gotta get Gamlin's VF in here to have someone to bitch about Basara playing music on my shelf, haha.

22 hours ago, WhatBoutMyStar said:

Yup, given that they've already shown the Mirage and Hayate HMR 1EX, you'd figure it'd be easy enough for Bandai to just go ahead with production and sell these. I think they would've sold well and would've been much more popular than the non-canon 35th Anniversary Messer grim reaper deco.

I’m still holding out for the red one

1 minute ago, Chronocidal said:

What I really want out of the HMR line at this point is for Bandai to actually acknowledge all of the things they have teased, and then buried in their "unfulfilled promises" warehouse like the ark of the covenant.  <_< 

And, you know.  A mini YF-19 and Non-Bandai DX-based YF-21 mold.  :rolleyes: 

Coming from a Gunpla builder, don't hold your breath.

Still waiting on that RG GM and Gouf...

6 hours ago, Spacecore said:

Coming from a Gunpla builder, don't hold your breath.

Still waiting on that RG GM and Gouf...

Ah yes, good old list of dead gunpla projects Bandai has probably sent to the combustible trash. There was MG Age-3, Age-FX and GN-X IV.

Then there's MG Gafran, that google can't even find records of ever existing. Probably nobody remembers that thing anymore, but I actually have photos of its hard to see side profile from reaching my camera over the rope and shooting from the side of the frosted display lol.

On 9/16/2024 at 2:24 AM, WhatBoutMyStar said:

Hmm..... Jetfire. 

On 9/17/2024 at 9:22 PM, Mommar said:

It's not just Gunpla.  Know how many SHF Star Wars, Marvel, etc... have been teased and never produced?

Sometimes it's a good thing that teased items don't get made. One example is the Chogokin Pacific Rim line from Bandai. They only made Gipsy Danger but teased Crimson Typhoon. I was really excited for it back then. But after my Gipsy Danger's hips exploded in storage due to the worst internal design I have ever seen, I'm glad they didn't continue the line.