Godzilla Minus One - November 3rd 2023

mikeszekely

If you can prove they did not show the last 20 minutes you can send your case to the BBB (or something like that).  Not showing the entire movie is theft (or the equivalent, they did NOT provide what you paid for).  Proving it will be the hard part of course now that you have left the theater without demanding then and there that they refund.

As for torrenting - AMC won't care one bit if you do that, the only ones hurt by that will be whatever company you would otherwise have streamed it from and the makers of the movie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Warner be like: Can't lose at the Oscars if you cancel all your films before they release!

giphy.gif

Minus One got a Blu-ray release date in Japan, too.  On May 1st they'll be enjoying a 4-disc set that includes Blu-ray and DVD copies of both the regular and Minus Color versions.  Still no word on a US date, though, but given how well it did here theatrically (roughly half of the film's total box office) I'd imagine we'll be hearing something soon.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:10 PM, Tking22 said:

No 4K release? Why only Bluray? Lots of people have moved onto 4K and Dolby Vision, and this film deserves the best. 

4K might be included in the US and Euro release...

• 2 months later...

Kinda surprised that there was no talk about this being on Netflix. We just noticed it this afternoon and gave it a watch. US movies really must’ve been crap last year for this to take an Oscar win. But it had about three moments that get you going.
The real monster is the unkillable not wife

Spoiler

She survived fire bombings, dangling from a train in the big guys clutches, getting blasted away in two different directions and somehow only gets minor injuries and a bonus child and a not boyfriend that buys her a house to live in with her not child

Posted (edited)

I was also surprised when the movie suddenly appeared on Netflix without any fanfare.

The unkillable not wife 

Spoiler

Seems to have been infected with G-cells as revealed at the end of the movie:

https://screenrant.com/what-happened-to-noriko-in-godzilla-minus-one/

Might explain how she survived

Spoiler

the heat ray 

Edited by the_foul_fowl

2 hours ago, the_foul_fowl said:

I was also surprised when the movie suddenly appeared on Netflix without any fanfare.

The unkillable not wife 

Reveal hidden contents

Seems to have been infected with G-cells as revealed at the end of the movie:

https://screenrant.com/what-happened-to-noriko-in-godzilla-minus-one/

Might explain how she survived

Reveal hidden contents

the heat ray 

Spoiler

Yeah, I noticed the mark on her shoulder. I think that if there’s a second film she’s gonna be a key character. She takes a lot of punishment and keeps on going 

9 hours ago, Big s said:

Kinda surprised that there was no talk about this being on Netflix. We just noticed it this afternoon and gave it a watch. US movies really must’ve been crap last year for this to take an Oscar win. But it had about three moments that get you going.
The real monster is the unkillable not wife

Reveal hidden contents

She survived fire bombings, dangling from a train in the big guys clutches, getting blasted away in two different directions and somehow only gets minor injuries and a bonus child and a not boyfriend that buys her a house to live in with her not child

It won for best visual effects, that said, I'd still put above most other US films that won Oscars for many other categories, it was movie of the year 2023 for sure. 

29 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

It won for best visual effects, that said, I'd still put above most other US films that won Oscars for many other categories, it was movie of the year 2023 for sure. 

Yeah, but for the most part the visual effects are rather sub par. It’s still a good movie though, but those effects  weren’t anything special. It had a very fan film kinda look. I didn’t hate them, since I know it was on a low budget.
I really don’t remember much of last year’s movies, but like I said previously, they must’ve been really bad for this to be the winner in the effects category 

25 minutes ago, Big s said:

Yeah, but for the most part the visual effects are rather sub par. It’s still a good movie though, but those effects  weren’t anything special. It had a very fan film kinda look. I didn’t hate them, since I know it was on a low budget.
I really don’t remember much of last year’s movies, but like I said previously, they must’ve been really bad for this to be the winner in the effects category 

Damn, sub par? That boat chase scene alone looked better then anything put out by Hollywood in the last decade and a half by a wide margin. I know it's subjective but yikes, fan film? I gotta wonder what you think of most of the insanely budgeted crap that Hollywood puts out these days and looks far worse, only US films that I think actually pushed visual fidelity to this level would be the newer Apes trilogy. 

4 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Damn, sub par? That boat chase scene alone looked better than anything put out by Hollywood in the last decade and a half by a wide margin. I know it's subjective but yikes, fan film? I gotta wonder what you think of most of the insanely budgeted crap that Hollywood puts out these days and looks far worse, only US films that I think actually pushed visual fidelity to this level would be the newer Apes trilogy. 

Even the boat chase, which was a cool scene looks kinda cheap. The real items like the boats and crew are fine, but the cg is pretty bad most of the time, but great for being an extremely low budget film. Godzilla himself has what really looks like a fan film most of the time and as bad as he looks compared to bigger budget films, I still enjoyed this one better than some of the more flashy films.
I think the set design is actually really great . That’s what should have won an award. The changes from blown up scenery to more and more cleaned up neighborhoods was what actually looked good. The acing was also far better than previous Godzilla films and blows away the absolutely crappy American Godzilla films. This movie is great, but not for its effects, but for the setting and story and characters 

I love low budget films and I also love cheesy B movies often more than big budget films. But I’m not gonna say they ever get to what should be Academy Award winning visuals. But like I also said above, I don’t really remember last year’s movies that well and maybe it was just a really bad year for visual effects.

3 hours ago, Big s said:

Even the boat chase, which was a cool scene looks kinda cheap. The real items like the boats and crew are fine, but the cg is pretty bad most of the time, but great for being an extremely low budget film.

Yeah, those big-budget Hollywood films look sooo much better.  I mean, just look at these films that were also released in 2023...

henry-cavill-cgi-in-the-flashcopy.png.60eccc14aaa55a680fe76662d23d77dc.png

resize.webp.d15c9009ff7ece77ed98971fbf02e923.webp

(No, I'm not actually suggesting these movies looked better than Godzilla Minus One.  I'm being sarcastic.)

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Yeah, those big-budget Hollywood films look sooo much better.  I mean, just look at these films that were also released in 2023...

henry-cavill-cgi-in-the-flashcopy.png.60eccc14aaa55a680fe76662d23d77dc.png

resize.webp.d15c9009ff7ece77ed98971fbf02e923.webp

(No, I'm not actually suggesting these movies looked better than Godzilla Minus One.  I'm being sarcastic.)

Those are pretty bad , but Godzilla wasn’t much better. It had that YouTube fan kinda look to it. But yeah, these aren’t very great. Not sure what else was in competition

9 hours ago, Big s said:

Those are pretty bad , but Godzilla wasn’t much better. It had that YouTube fan kinda look to it. But yeah, these aren’t very great. Not sure what else was in competition

G-1 had some SFX issues if looked at it close however the Hollywood references above were blindingly bad. If you can't do it right then don't do it all.

Why the arguing over special effects? Godzilla Minus One is a good movie that did a lot with a small budget. It should be celebrated as it is. Is it going to look as good as Dune Part Two? No, but who cares? It's good.

1 hour ago, Duke Togo said:

Why the arguing over special effects? Godzilla Minus One is a good movie that did a lot with a small budget. It should be celebrated as it is. Is it going to look as good as Dune Part Two? No, but who cares? It's good.

It’s definitely a good movie, my comment was just that it doesn’t look like best of the year material for vfx. But that doesn’t affect its worth as a watch and now that it’s streaming, I think everyone should try and check it out

11 minutes ago, Duke Togo said:

They did a lot with a $15m budget. It's almost shocking how good it looks for that cost. 

I do have to agree there. I do however still think the award should have been for set design rather than vfx. That’s one of the odd standouts here. The cg isn’t the highlight for me . It’s the first Godzilla in a long time where I actually cared about the characters and I think that’s something lacking in films lately is just having a decent set of characters 

Just re watched it for the 3rd time. This time on Netflix with the English dub. Very powerful image  , Godzilla raging at the mushroom cloud he makes with his beam weapon. And then the main character raging at Godzilla as the mud comes raining down on him, from Godzilla's attack.

I just watched this movie myself, as I found it on Netflix.  I have to say that I really like the movie and I thought that it was very well done with a nice nostalgic vibe that harkens back to to the original movies that were on tv when I was growing up in the late 70's and 80's.  I still like the current slew of movies, but the old movies hold a special place in my heart as I remember watching them with my dad growing up.

Twich

On 6/4/2024 at 5:52 AM, Big s said:

What? Did you watch it on drugs? 🤣

7 hours ago, Big s said:

Nope watched it without. It probably would’ve looked better with drugs.

What are we on about here ???. It looked great. None of those glitter swirls smacking the screen to the sound of washing machines banging one another like most recent western films. 

42 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

What are we on about here ???. It looked great. None of those glitter swirls smacking the screen to the sound of washing machines banging one another like most recent western films. 

It’s the cheap cg vfx. I get that it’s a low budget film and that’s all they could afford, just saying that it’s nothing award worthy. I’ve seen better from fan films on YouTube that’s all. It doesn’t diminish this movie, it’s just nothing that screams best of the year. I’m more impressed with the set design personally than the vfx or that this is one of the few Godzilla films where I actually liked the characters 

• 1 month later...

Just watched on Netflix, and now wish I would have got off my arse and saw in the theaters, it was great.

Yeah-some of the effects are a bit cheesy (the walking), but the fire breath is like SDF-1 levels of destruction, and anytime it was in the water, it was like watching the shark chase from Jaws, got goosebumps in a few of those scenes.

Thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

• 1 month later...

X-Plus Minus One attacks!

emptysky.jpg.9f444e670c2612d07e38ec7149dc7eb6.jpg

Fabulous sculpt and detail, as always...

darksky.jpg.d6939b6e91875cab53743c5bae0f1b27.jpg

Naturally photogenic...

yellowskin.jpg.ee35207d664477956fed3141143ea298.jpg

...and appropriately-scaled to N-gauge train set dioramas. 😎

dioramabackground.jpg.d0fb290405129f857af0b98f9d958ef3.jpg