BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

What ARE you talking about? The new series is re-done from the beginning. We saw the Cylons wipe out humanity. Did you not know about the miniseries?

Or are you talking about Galactica 1980? It sounds like you're talking about that.

The need for everythign to have some sort of "twist" these days is getting a bit old. It seems to be the new sci-fi cliche. Not everything has to have some hidden meaning or purpose to be good!

Here's to hoping they leave Galactica what it is.

The need for everythign to have some sort of "twist" these days is getting a bit old. It seems to be the new sci-fi cliche. Not everything has to have some hidden meaning or purpose to be good!

316851[/snapback]

I liked my idea not so much because it would be a "twist" but because it was a downer ending. Its just my little backlash against all the happy "triumph of everything sweet and pure" endings we get these days. Well, outside of anime anyway.

I liked my idea not so much because it would be a "twist" but because it was a downer ending. Its just my little backlash against all the happy "triumph of everything sweet and pure" endings we get these days. Well, outside of anime anyway.

316857[/snapback]

I dunno if I buy that. Seems there is a rather large movement to the "Braveheart Ending", where in the end the good guys get fuct, and things really don't change.

The "not every ending is a happy one"' has gone too far... we need to feel good sometimes. I live enough reality every day, I don't need to be beaten over the head with some dark version of it in every movie and TV show I watch.

The "not every ending is a happy one"' has gone too far... we need to feel good sometimes. I live enough reality every day, I don't need to be beaten over the head with some dark version of it in every movie and TV show I watch.

316862[/snapback]

True enough. Ultimately I don't care how they choose to end BSG, just as long as it works for the story. If that means a happy resolution when they reach Earth, so be it.

The new show is 12 kinds of awesome, but I'm having trouble with the backstory.

Is there a site somewhere with more information regarding backstory for BSG? I assume they're far in the future, post-extrasolar planet colonization, and earth is so long in the past its more legend than history?

Is our history part of theirs? Or are they like the DYRL storyline, where earth was once advanced, then reverted to stone age when the people of BSG left?

Is there an approximate year that BSG events take place?

316857[/snapback]

I dunno if I buy that. Seems there is a rather large movement to the "Braveheart Ending", where in the end the good guys get fuct, and things really don't change.

316862[/snapback]

TOTALLY AGREE with you there Duke. I remember before Braveheart I always thought how old and tiring the hole happy ending thing was. Then Braveheart came out and I was wowed by it. Now I'm on the other side of it thinking it's getting old and that sometimes I'd like to see things work out well. Hollywood goes from one extreme to the other I guess.

Love the show, with all its dark grittieness, but I'd also like to see somethings go the colonials way once and a while.....that's not "preordained" be the cylons ala the Hand of God episode.

Chris

Is there a site somewhere with more information regarding backstory for BSG? I assume they're far in the future, post-extrasolar planet colonization, and earth is so long in the past its more legend than history?

Is our history part of theirs? Or are they like the DYRL storyline, where earth was once advanced, then reverted to stone age when the people of BSG left?

316869[/snapback]

Did you watch the mini series? <_< Did you look up the old BSG series? :( Did you google Battlestar Galactica? :blink: Do you know how to use Google? :lol:

What points about the backstory do you not know about or not understand that haven't been addressed?

Edited by azrael

I assume they're far in the future, post-extrasolar planet colonization, and earth is so long in the past its more legend than history?

316869[/snapback]

My understanding is that, according to what we've been shown thus far, humanity seems to have come from Kobol, which then spawned the 12 colonies (Caprica, etc) with a 13th colony known as Earth which may or may not exist. Now I suppose it's possible that Kobol itself could be an Earth colony in some distant future and that the connection to Earth has been garbled and misunderstood as the story was retold thru the ages. But I'll echo Duke Togo here and say that it would be an unnecessary move which overcomplicates an otherwise straightforward story.

But here's another thought; What will Earth BE like if they ever reach it? Or rather, when will it be in our timeline? In the original show, the original colonists from Kobol would have had to have come to Earth early enough to build the pyramids (remember the original Galactica ep where they found Kobol?). Then, when they finally found Earth it just happened to look like the Universal backlot, circa 1980. That Egyptian iconography is absent from the new Galactica, and the only ties we have to Earth are some vague names like Athena and Apollo. So assuming they do finally find Earth in the new show, will it be 2005? 2025? 10,005? Or maybe they'll throw us for a loop and land in 2005 BC?

Incidently, I could never understand how a civilization advanced enough for interstellar travel could come to earth, then regress all the way to the bronze age to build some pyramids. Or was there supposed to be a native branch of humanity already here that the colonists interbred with? Which is almost Star Trekian in its silliness.

The new show is 12 kinds of awesome, but I'm having trouble with the backstory.

316869[/snapback]

Not ultra specifically that I know of, you can try www.galactica.tv I frequent there myself and use thier forums.

But to help you out a little. My understanding of it is this: A couple thousand years ago Mankind "allegedly" originated from the planet Kobol where they lived with thier Gods and for some reason was either forced to leave or chose to leave it. Humanity then founded the 12 colonies and according to legend formed a 13th colony far far away called Earth. At some point the 12 colonies created the cylons to make life "easier" for them. The cylons gained sentience and revolted. A war between the Cylons and Humans broke out...not sure how long the war lasted but an armistace (spelling) was declared and the Cylons left to find thier own world. During the war technology was apparently similar to the Original series but the old series is NOT A PREQUEL and the New series is NOT a SEQUEL....Battlestars looked like the old battlestars(they were created during the war), Baseships looked like the old ones, same with Raiders and Vipers. Toward the end of the war the Viper MK II (the white Viper in the show) was introduced and replaced the old style Viper which in many circles is now called the Viper MKI.

The War ended 40 years before the events in the miniseries and no one has seen or heard from the Cylons until the attack that occured in the miniseries. Technology continued to advance so Battlestars and Vipers evolved. The Blue Vipers are MK VII's. The Galactica is the last Original battlestar (there were 12 originally made) and was being decommisioned and converted into a museum when the sneak attack occured in the mini. That's why she has the Old MK II Vipers. It's assumed that During the 40 year hiatus from the Cylons that Galactica went through many refits and is why she looks different now then from the Original series. It is unknown if all of this is happening in the past, present, or future to Earths timeline.

Hope that helps

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Thanks for the overviews/answers, I appreciate your synopses, rather than refering me to Google. <_<

I haven't seen the mini series, just this season and last season - so it sounds like I missed some of the backstory I'm wondering about. Also sounds like its been intentionally left vague, and that answers are forthcoming or hinted at...all fine with me really...I just wondered if there were definitive timeline answers.

Thanks again. Can't wait for this Friday's episode!

Edited by Majestic

Yeah, there are definately questions that have not been answered yet, like you said they are still forthcomming. I'd definately recommend the Mini series. If you like the show you should like the mini. Lots of great backstory, plus Battlestar just isn't complete without it. I believe the Mini will be included as one of the extras in the upcoming US version season 1 dvd set in September, so if you want season 1 you'll aslo be able to get the mini too :)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I enjoy BSG, but my fears for the show are the same fears for any show

- It stays on too long to where the cast changes radically and the ideas get stagnant.

- It deviates from the original theme of the story because they need ratings

- Everyone has sex with everyone else and everyone gets angry about it and the story becomes a love fest instead of a sci fi show

- A main star pulls a Caruso/Duchovny and forces a plotline change that no one wants but has to be written

316942[/snapback]

Quoted for truth. I hope they avoid this trend as well.

Or Stargate.

Simpsons seasons 8 - present.

Another celebrity guest voice anyone!

~ducks flamming Arrows~ :p

Chris

317026[/snapback]

No joke. Richard Dean Anderson is one of the next "celebrity" voices. How's that for synchronicity?

317039[/snapback]

And I'm sure when he comes on screen someone will say:

"RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON!"

just to make sure the audience knows who it is. <_<

Chris

Last week we got to see Starbuck's Humvee. This week, I learned that even our distant relatives, living in another part of the galaxy, use the ubiquitous 9mm round to shoot Adama.  :rolleyes:

I can accept the stock-but-futuristic looking guns. I can accept that they can't afford to redress cars to make them look otherworldly. But come on...all they had to do was call it something else. Anything else. Call it a "8mm" or a 5.9mm." Just don't call it something that even a casual viewer might intuit to be a real-world item. If they can use the term "Frack" they can coin something science fictiony to call their guns and the ammunition they shoot.

316625[/snapback]

Which is why I think the writers of this show should have left the original show's methods of measurement alone (centons, for example) and used them instead. While I have fell in love with this new series after originally hating the miniseries, some of things they do boggle the mind.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Last week we got to see Starbuck's Humvee. This week, I learned that even our distant relatives, living in another part of the galaxy, use the ubiquitous 9mm round to shoot Adama.  :rolleyes:

I can accept the stock-but-futuristic looking guns. I can accept that they can't afford to redress cars to make them look otherworldly. But come on...all they had to do was call it something else. Anything else. Call it a "8mm" or a 5.9mm." Just don't call it something that even a casual viewer might intuit to be a real-world item. If they can use the term "Frack" they can coin something science fictiony to call their guns and the ammunition they shoot.

316625[/snapback]

Which is why I think the writers of this show should have left the original show's methods of measurement alone (centons, for example) and used them instead. While I have fell in love with this new series after originally hating the miniseries, some of things they do boggle the mind.

317121[/snapback]

I never liked centons and yaren...but the 9mm thing did strike me as odd too. Anyone notice that they'vd added FN five sevens with the same underbarrel launcher thing as the original sidearms that the others were using?

Quick question.... In the miniseries who sent Adama the note that there are only 12 human cylon models?

317197[/snapback]

No one knows...but I do know this: :D

starbucks.jpg

Edited by Gaijin

Development and usage of alternate methods of measure, be they distance, time, volume, etc... are best left to books then TV shows and movies. Why? Simply because in a book you can take time to explain the difference and give the reader a reasonable basis of camparison. In a TV show or movie it is harder to have the character stop and say "I'll link up with you in twnety Centons, which happens to be ten minutes earth time." In Farscape they did something similar, Crichton had to adjust to a whole new measurement system and in the first season or two, he had a couple times when he made comments about what the units of measure were equivalenet to to a human. Even as the show progressed you could sometimes see him doing the mental arithmatic.

I find BSG, Firefly, and even farscape, to be much more relatable sci-fi then anything with the Star Trek name brand. The characters seem much more real, their manner and method dress much more human, and the technology much more achievable. I also find it funny sometimes when they are using modern day equipment, it gives the show a sense of scale and really shows that technologically what they are doing is achievable. As cool as it is to see people running around with laser, phasers, and blasters, a simple gun is still much more believable. Even then BSG for the most part has used obviously modern equipment sparingly, or has dressed it up a little to make it look just different enough. True the P90s a few pistols are straight off the shelf airsoft with a few add on, but your average viewer probably doesn't even know the P90 exists, and just sees a very futuristic looking gun. I do have to admit I did not like seeing the Hummer starbuck was driving and would have preferred an older or more dressed up old military truck.

Overall I like where the series is going and have my own theories as to what will happen and what all the private agendaes are. I agree that Tighs wife is just a power hungry witch, and probably not a cylon, if she is maybe she is the first of the six series, but I doubt it. More then likely the next cylon model to be revealed will be shown when the Pegasus arrives and they show them the cylons they've found aboard.

Quick question.... In the miniseries who sent Adama the note that there are only 12 human cylon models?

317197[/snapback]

No one knows...but I do know this: :D

starbucks.jpg

317224[/snapback]

I wonder if they drop that whole thing or forgot about it. The only non cylon person that would know would be Baltar. or it could have been Boomer in one of her non concious defiance of being a cylon....

After the last episode though I think Tigh's wife is a cylon. The President got that ringing in her head when she came in, and was driving her nuts until the moment Tigh's wife. Something wasn't right there.

I wonder if they'll bring back the note business. It could have been any of the ones shown so far, or another that we don't know is a cylon.

Edited by Anubis

One thing is certain, Tigh's drinking problem does not stem from some deep seated insecurity, or character flaw, or discomfort with his rank, or inability to seat in the "big" chair, or confrontations with subordinates, or the burden of command, or humanity's desperate situation, etc...no my friends, it results from being married to that woman...I know that if I were married to that harpy/shrew/floozy I'd drink myself into a stupor too. :ph34r:

One thing is certain, Tigh's drinking problem does not stem from some deep seated insecurity, or character flaw, or discomfort with his rank, or inability to seat in the "big" chair, or confrontations with subordinates, or the burden of command, or humanity's desperate situation, etc...no my friends, it results from being married to that woman...I know that if I were married to that harpy/shrew/floozy I'd drink myself into a stupor too. :ph34r:

317358[/snapback]

Quoted the Truth!! lol :lol:

Chris

317358[/snapback]

Along those lines, I'd really like to see this experience change Tigh a bit, maybe giving him some more comfortablness with command. That's one thing that I really praise BSG for doing, giving characters convincible growth and NOT hitting the big reset button at the rolling credits.

He did quit drinking for a while, and up until the last ep it looked like he was doing a decent job. Last ep though ... that flask has got to go.

317555[/snapback]

Ellen made him drink again. I think the bitch is worse than the Cylons. :D

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Adama wakes up. I think Tigh might be relieved temporarily(spelling) until he can sober up. Adama has already alluded to having issues with Tighs Drinking and possibly his command style.

1) After Tighs wife returns he has a talk with him about how he liked seeing him without the bottle.

2)In "33" after the Cylons failed to return after 33 minutes He and Tigh were walking out of CIC talking about how alive they were feeling. Adama says "seriously, it's one thing to ride the crew. It's another thing to break them."

He then gets cut off from continuing or letting Tigh respond because the Olympic Carrier returns.

I just get the feeling that Adama thinks Tigh is a little too much of a hard ass. Plus, If the crew start to report back to Adama about Tighs erratic behavior while he was out....there could be problems.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Tigh will gladly purge his own men into space to save the ship and not bat an eye about it. I can't see Adama doing it without great reservation.

I don't think he'd "gladly" do it, but he's more willing to do it and then live with the consequences than anyone else is.

The writers have made Tigh into a very compelling character. Hes a prick, but hes a loyal prick. Personally I think he'd rather die than fail Adama. I think part of the problem with his dealings with the President and the Qof12 stems from that, Adama wanted that dumb psychic bitch in lockup and Tigh will be damned if anyone says otherwise. Tighs a prick, but chooses his friends and stands by them, thats not such a horrible character trait.

Exactly. Couldn't say it any better myself.

Tigh strikes me more as Theoden of Rohan from LOTR. A guy who was a failure as a leader most of his life, but will/did rise to the occasion when all was lost. I hope the writers give him a good arc and find a way to make his character more redeeming in the future.

317690[/snapback]

That's exactly why Tigh is my favourite character on the show. He's more flawed than most TV characters are usually allowed to be, but that only makes him more human. But the best part is when push comes to shove, he puts his problems and issues away and does what he needs to get done. I can't think of any greater character trait I'd like to have myself.