• 3 weeks later...

Boy oh boy.. minimum effort indeed.  At least the box was honest and showed that there's literally no paint on the underside. <_< 

In fairness, the shape of this one looks more accurate overall.  Better contours, more accurate shape on the nacelles, looks like the saucer is a bit thinner, so it might make a better base for upgrades than the old one.  Sound effects have a bit of decent variety, even if a couple are kind of odd.  Credit for the saucer separation sound, at least.

Downsides, yeah, there's no paint at all on the underside (literally the entire bottom of the ship), deflector looks incredibly derpy with that orange paint, the cobra head is butt-ugly, and the plastic around the lights is painfully transparent, and looks horrible in the dark.  Stand looks ready to snap from the strain at any moment.

Maybe a decent fixer-upper?  I don't know.  Might pick one up if I find it for the same cost as the original, but it feels kind of like ten steps forward, ten steps back. :huh: 

Edited by Chronocidal

6 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

Wow!  That is truly a low effort attempt on Playmate's part, and they even managed to get the base of the stand wrong... incorrect badge design.

I think "low effort" would imply that they at least put a minuscule amount of effort into it. This steaming pile of plastic fertilizer looks to have zero effort put into it.

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

I think "low effort" would imply that they at least put a minuscule amount of effort into it. This steaming pile of plastic fertilizer looks to have zero effort put into it.

Well, they had to have the IM tooling made and contract a factory to produce the thing... beyond that, not much effort at all, certainly none in making it look even remotely passable to the majority of the target customer: adult collectors riddled with nostalgia and money to burn, doubtful there are more than a handful of kids on this whole planet who are clamoring for a roughly Playskool level toy of a 30+ year old show... seriously, who is this thing for?

• 4 months later...

Amazon and Target also have the original TV series communicators going for $15.

https://www.target.com/p/star-trek-original-series-classic-communicator/-/A-88725522?clkid

https://www.amazon.com/Playmates-Star-Trek-Original-Communicator/dp/B0CHX6XTKJ

Beats $80 for the Diamond Select one..

• sh9000 changed the title to Star Trek figures and toys
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mommar said:

This is the strangest opening salvo for an action figure line...

An entire wave of characters that never got figures of any kind before!  I think it's brilliant.

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I want the whole TNG cast in season 3 or higher uniforms.

DST did both later TNG and movie-era uniforms, but I'd welcome a smaller-scale set. 

Speaking of which...

Does anyone know what scale these Nacelle figures will be?

Those are definitely some interesting choices for a first wave. 

With Captain Jellico, Tuvix, and Weyoun in there I almost feel like they're doing it for the memes. They definitely took the time to put jokes into the slides for their presentation. Captain Garrett's special feature is "poorly placed debris"? 🤔

239D5738-301F-485A-955F-018C5A2E57EE.jpeg.9c315da90f1e01f6e657a0e83a6ea9c7.jpeg

9D4AB9E3-A58E-4F45-8248-EC01FC8A13ED.jpeg.c258e58564343e087df2a96ddd1bbe29.jpeg

I'm fully aware of the DST 7" figures.  Nacelle's Star Trek figures will be 1/12 scale and they're focusing on characters never before available as well as roles in outfits never before produced.  Hope that changes down the line and I can get a full 1/12 TNG set.

Dear Mr. Volk-Weiss,

As a life-long Star Trek fan and action figure collector, I am the proud owner of hundreds of Star Trek figures.  I have collected the vast majority of the Diamond Select Toys line, as well as Galoob, Mego, Hiya Toys, and every Star Trek figure Playmates Toys ever made (in both the Prime and Kelvin lines).  Hell, I even bought those two Discovery figures they produced!

Suffice it to say, I represent the precise customer Nacelle is targeting.

I was very impressed with the lineup you announced for your inaugural wave of action figures, displaying a thorough knowledge of the existing market by focusing on memorable secondary characters that never received figures before.  If you were to produce these at 1:18 scale, they would complement the Mego, Galoob, Playmates, or Hiya Toys characters released at that scale, and would allow for affordable vehicles and playsets as well.  If you were to produce these at 1:14 scale instead, they’d complement the largest number of existing figures in Playmates’ Star Trek line (both vintage and contemporary releases).  However, if you chose the more detailed 1:10 scale, your line would complement the wide variety of high-quality Star Trek figures DST produced.  There are several existing markets to tap into; hell, even 1:6 collections include high-quality Star Trek figures you could produce characters for.  How could you go wrong?

I now see you’ve answered this very question, by announcing your intention to sell figures at 1:12 scale.  🙄

Are you hoping to entice collectors with obscure Star Trek characters they can display with their Marvel Legends figures?  Are you hoping Tuvix or Weyoun will appeal to Mezco, Indiana Jones, or WWF fans?  Or are you expecting Black Series collectors won’t know the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek🤨

Regardless of your intentions, you obviously have no idea what you’re doing… which seems entirely in keeping with Paramount+ and the keepers of the franchise as a whole. 😒

Thanks for wasting our time.

4 hours ago, tekering said:

Dear Mr. Volk-Weiss,

As a life-long Star Trek fan and action figure collector, I am the proud owner of hundreds of Star Trek figures.  I have collected the vast majority of the Diamond Select Toys line, as well as Galoob, Mego, Hiya Toys, and every Star Trek figure Playmates Toys ever made (in both the Prime and Kelvin lines).  Hell, I even bought those two Discovery figures they produced!

Suffice it to say, I represent the precise customer Nacelle is targeting.

I was very impressed with the lineup you announced for your inaugural wave of action figures, displaying a thorough knowledge of the existing market by focusing on memorable secondary characters that never received figures before.  If you were to produce these at 1:18 scale, they would complement the Mego, Galoob, Playmates, or Hiya Toys characters released at that scale, and would allow for affordable vehicles and playsets as well.  If you were to produce these at 1:14 scale instead, they’d complement the largest number of existing figures in Playmates’ Star Trek line (both vintage and contemporary releases).  However, if you chose the more detailed 1:10 scale, your line would complement the wide variety of high-quality Star Trek figures DST produced.  There are several existing markets to tap into; hell, even 1:6 collections include high-quality Star Trek figures you could produce characters for.  How could you go wrong?

I now see you’ve answered this very question, by announcing your intention to sell figures at 1:12 scale.  🙄

Are you hoping to entice collectors with obscure Star Trek characters they can display with their Marvel Legends figures?  Are you hoping Tuvix or Weyoun will appeal to Mezco, Indiana Jones, or WWF fans?  Or are you expecting Black Series collectors won’t know the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek🤨

Regardless of your intentions, you obviously have no idea what you’re doing… which seems entirely in keeping with Paramount+ and the keepers of the franchise as a whole. 😒

Thanks for wasting our time.

To be fair, we can now re-create our favorite X-Men/Star Trek cross-over scenes... if they get around to making anybody from the actual bridge crews.

On the other hand, since all of the other lines are their own different scales already it's not like you aren't used to scale variation between your figures so what is the problem really?

Edited by Mommar

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

It's not like you aren't used to scale variation between your figures so what is the problem really?

The problem is as already stated:

On 10/20/2024 at 11:45 PM, Roy Focker said:

Characters are too obscure. Each one is potential peg warmer. You include one such figure per wave for the "collect them all" collectors. The casual collector are just going to go for the main casts.

They'll never get around to making anybody from the actual bridge crews, 'cause this line will fail right out of the gate. 🤕

At a scale incompatible with any existing Star Trek figures, no collector is just going to buy "that guy from that one episode."

17 hours ago, Mommar said:

Is this going to be fan channel only or are they going to attempt to put these in stores?

They've already attempted it, no doubt, but major retailers aren't going to bite.  Nobody with any business sense would possibly think it's a good idea. 🙄

22 hours ago, tekering said:

The problem is as already stated:

They'll never get around to making anybody from the actual bridge crews, 'cause this line will fail right out of the gate. 🤕

At a scale incompatible with any existing Star Trek figures, no collector is just going to buy "that guy from that one episode."

They've already attempted it, no doubt, but major retailers aren't going to bite.  Nobody with any business sense would possibly think it's a good idea. 🙄

Star Trek has been turned into such a moribund franchise by this point, due to gross mismanagement and massively unpopular shows over the last several years that even main legacy characters, let alone obscure ones (see also Star Wars), will not sell in large enough numbers to justify the investment in warehousing space, let alone shelf/pegs at the retail level.

Edited by mechaninac

Playmates and Hiya Toys both have Star Trek lines that have 6" to 7" figures.  The Nacelle figures will be 6" to 7".  Marvel Legends figures are 6" to 7" and not actually 1/12 scale.

https://blog.trekcore.com/2024/10/first-nacelle-star-trek-action-figures-revealed-nycc/

Edited by sh9000

10 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Marvel Legends figures are 6" to 7" and not actually 1/12 scale.

I'm glad you brought this up, 'cause I see Americans throwing around expressions like "six-inch scale" or "seven-inch scale" quite a bit, which strikes me as ignorant (on the part of collectors) and irresponsible (on the part of manufacturers).

Exactly what scale are 6" to 7" figures intended to be?