45 minutes ago, Big s said:

It’s a hilariously bad movie that’s really great if you get a group of friends that like absolute trash movies and some drinks and eats. It makes for one of the best bad movies nights because it’s so ridiculous yet acts so serious 

:lol: 

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

From the trailer it sticks a LOT closer to the original story then that one from a few years back with whats her name.

...which I thought WAS Disney's live-action remake of Snow White. Color me surprised when I realized it was a Universal movie. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

From the trailer it sticks a LOT closer to the original story then that one from a few years back with whats her name.

I should have said closer to the original animated movie, I've not read the book it is based on but I would guess the Disney movie is a good bit different.

I just saw this on YouTube last night & the animation is really well done, surprisingly this was not made by a Japanese company. 

I wasn't sure where to post this though it is considered a "Short Film", so Mods, do your thing if this belongs somewhere else. B))

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I just saw this on YouTube last night & the animation is really well done, surprisingly this was not made by a Japanese company. 

I wasn't sure where to post this though it is considered a "Short Film", so Mods, do your thing if this belongs somewhere else. B))

Oddly, I think it got posted in the Romulus section last week or so, but maybe it fits here just as well 

11 minutes ago, Big s said:

Oddly, I think it got posted in the Romulus section last week or so, but maybe it fits here just as well 

Cool, I wasn't sure if anyone had seen this yet. Either section works for me. B))

Dunno where else to mention this, but Cinemark is celebrating their 40th anniversary by playing movies all week from 40 years ago. I'm going to see Terminator tonight and Ghostbusters on Friday. If I can get some friends to go with I also want to see Temple of Doom on Sunday. Haven't decided if I want to go see Gremlins tomorrow or if that's too many evenings spent watching movies that are way better than the movies they make today...

Edited by mikeszekely

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Dunno where else to mention this, but Cinemark is celebrating their 40th anniversary by playing movies all week from 40 years ago. I'm going to see Terminator tonight and Ghostbusters on Friday. If I can get some friends to go with I also want to see Temple of Doom on Sunday. Haven't decided if I want to go see Gremlins tomorrow or if that's too many evenings spent watching movies that are way better than the movies they make today...

Nah, go watch Gremlins, even if it isn’t Christmas. The greatest Christmas movie of all time came out in the summer as well, so it won’t be so strange. Maybe in a few years they’ll add showings of Die Hard

30 minutes ago, Big s said:

Nah, go watch Gremlins, even if it isn’t Christmas. The greatest Christmas movie of all time came out in the summer as well, so it won’t be so strange. Maybe in a few years they’ll add showings of Die Hard

I definitely want to, I love Gremlins. But half the theaters around here closed, and the closest one playing these movies is still a PITA drive. Plus my wife andkid don't want to go, so I have to go myself or find friends that are available.

On 8/10/2024 at 8:22 AM, Old_Nash_II said:

New Snow White and his polemics dwarves

The dwarves look creepy....

Looks like the movie will make the ride at WDW more screen accurate...lol

I'll probably just wait until it gets on D+...

14 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I definitely want to, I love Gremlins. But half the theaters around here closed, and the closest one playing these movies is still a PITA drive. Plus my wife andkid don't want to go, so I have to go myself or find friends that are available.

I’m surprised at the kid. If it were me as a kid and my dad said, hey we’re gonna got to the movies tonight, I’d have totally been down for it. Same with my daughter, she’d probably have even talked one of her friends into going too.

2 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

The dwarves look creepy....

Looks like the movie will make the ride at WDW more screen accurate...lol

I'll probably just wait until it gets on D+...

Honestly, everything about this looks creepy. It’s odd to call it live action when everything is cgi except for the out of place human 

On 8/13/2024 at 5:53 PM, Big s said:

I’m surprised at the kid. If it were me as a kid and my dad said, hey we’re gonna got to the movies tonight, I’d have totally been down for it. Same with my daughter, she’d probably have even talked one of her friends into going too.

Eh, she just turned 9, and she's always been a bit on the timid side.  Still scared of the dark, she won't admit it but I think being in a dark theater makes her anxious by itself.  Stuff like Gremlins would probably give her nightmares.

As for me, though, my friend I've been going to see these movies with had never seen Gremlins at all*, so I figured even if it's a bit of a PITA to get to the theater we're having fun and we can take turns driving, we went.  We'll be back Friday for Ghostbusters and Sunday for Temple of Doom.

*He's never seen Robocop, either.  Unfortunately that one's not in theaters (as it wouldn't come out for another three years), but I think we're going to have to do a movie night at home one evening.

44 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Eh, she just turned 9, and she's always been a bit on the timid side.  Still scared of the dark, she won't admit it but I think being in a dark theater makes her anxious by itself.  Stuff like Gremlins would probably give her nightmares.

As for me, though, my friend I've been going to see these movies with had never seen Gremlins at all*, so I figured even if it's a bit of a PITA to get to the theater we're having fun and we can take turns driving, we went.  We'll be back Friday for Ghostbusters and Sunday for Temple of Doom.

*He's never seen Robocop, either.  Unfortunately that one's not in theaters (as it wouldn't come out for another three years), but I think we're going to have to do a movie night at home one evening.

Gremlins is definitely a great movie and is one of those where the dated comments add to the hilarity. One of my favorite bits of dated lines happened when the guy from the bank tries to flaunt how much money he has by bringing up the fact that he has cable.

Robocop is a must watch movie as well and is a true treasure of absolute absurd humor and extreme violence the likes of which really hadn’t been seen in a non horror film up to that point.

Just now, Big s said:

Gremlins is definitely a great movie and is one of those where the dated comments add to the hilarity. One of my favorite bits of dated lines happened when the guy from the bank tries to flaunt how much money he has by bringing up the fact that he has cable.

Robocop is a must watch movie as well and is a true treasure of absolute absurd humor and extreme violence the likes of which really hadn’t been seen in a non horror film up to that point.

I like all the movies I'm seeing this week, but Robocop is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

On 8/11/2024 at 10:51 AM, 505thAirborne said:

Yes, i saw this a while back and it's so awesome. In fact , everything else this guy has done is awesome. I wish they had a few more as long as this one, but what they have done is really cool. 

Ugh, didn't get to see Ghostbusters after all.  Don't ask me why it is I go to see Gremlins and there's like four people in the entire theater, but Ghostbusters was completely sold out before I even got there.

Got my tickets for Indy in advance.😒

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Ugh, didn't get to see Ghostbusters after all.  Don't ask me why it is I go to see Gremlins and there's like four people in the entire theater, but Ghostbusters was completely sold out before I even got there.

Got my tickets for Indy in advance.😒

Ghostbusters is by far a more popular movie, sorry they took your spot, but at least Indy is secure 

So... We just watched HORIZON An American Saga on MAX. 

Yep, it's a 3-hour plus movie that isn't terrible, or the worst film ever made, but it is no Dances with Wolves or Open Range, films that Kevin Costner clearly thought through from start to finish. HORIZON has a lot of faults, above all is a weak script & dialog, way too much back & forth, one minute you're in Montana, then Wyoming, Western Kansas then Apache territory & back again & again & again. Also, too many characters that don't really matter... like, you don't know them on any personal level, the final frustration is the last couple minutes of the film, it feels completely out of place. Kevin Costner's character & the female costar he's with almost plays out almost like Tom Selleck's character in "Quigley Down Under". (You either loved that duo's chemistry or you didn't.) 

Cinematography & costumes are top notch, no expenses spared there. The musical score is decent but hiring Bear McCreary, John Williams or Hans Zimmer would have been a better choice. 

In the end, it's a 3-hour movie where lots of things are happening, but it's so incoherent at times it makes it hard to stay focused. Maybe Part 2 will be better at putting the pieces together but, I'm not holding my breath. 

Edited by 505thAirborne