11 hours ago, Big s said:

Hope they do an update for their soldier mode kits

I thought the Wave 1/72 Legioss Soldier Mode kits are good? I don't have one so I only based it on photos I've seen online.

By the way, I used Google Translate on the image above, and funny enough it's not just Mospeada now. It's also part 'Votoms'. :lol:

IMG_FA6D0649EA0F-1.jpeg.c075bea21c7b0730431e294d87debcf3.jpeg

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I thought the Wave 1/72 Legioss Soldier Mode kits are good? I don't have one so I only based it on photos I've seen online.

I feel like they could be a bit better in the leg area as far as articulation goes 

32 minutes ago, Big s said:

I feel like they could be a bit better in the leg area as far as articulation goes 

Gotcha. :good:

But like you said on the other thread, it's getting hard to keep track of these new updated kits of old series. I want everything for nostalgia's sake but not sure if I will be able to build and paint it is more of the question. :lol:

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Gotcha. :good:

But like you said on the other thread, it's getting hard to keep track of these new updated kits of old series. I want everything for nostalgia's sake but not sure if I will be able to build and paint it is more of the question. :lol:

It’s definitely getting to an unfortunate pick and choose thing. I’m curious about the moderoid upcoming stuff for Mospeada and there’s a bunch of Macross stuff and Tekkaman Blade kits and detonator orgun and more Patlabor and more Votoms and way too much stuff at one time and I want it all, but space and cash are the only things stopping me. It’s really crazy as far as how many great old school franchises are getting exciting items in the hobby department compared to just a few years ago 

15 minutes ago, Big s said:

It’s definitely getting to an unfortunate pick and choose thing. I’m curious about the moderoid upcoming stuff for Mospeada and there’s a bunch of Macross stuff and Tekkaman Blade kits and detonator orgun and more Patlabor and more Votoms and way too much stuff at one time and I want it all, but space and cash are the only things stopping me. It’s really crazy as far as how many great old school franchises are getting exciting items in the hobby department compared to just a few years ago 

I know. But I'm most excited for the Moderoid Mospeada too. I actually ordered the Moderoid Orguss before but cancelled it since I already have the Hi-Spec and a Hi-Metal R. I only ordered Nikick at this point but would love to have it in Hi-Spec and HMR too in case they would do it.

And yes, budget and cabinet is the main problem too esp if I'm not selling stuff. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Didn’t they transform, I really don’t remember them

I have both the Masterpiece & CM's (Variable) Alphas plus the poseable Soldier mode only toys. (I have Scott, Rook & Lancer too.)

IMG_8401.JPG.181254b72750f15b6a89cfcea54681ad.JPG

If these new Legioss kits were in 1/48, it would have gone great with the Poseable version. Sadly, it's not in the cards for me on this one. 

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I have both the Masterpiece & CM's (Variable) Alphas plus the poseable Soldier mode only toys. (I have Scott, Rook & Lancer too.)

IMG_8401.JPG.181254b72750f15b6a89cfcea54681ad.JPG

If these new Legioss kits were in 1/48, it would have gone great with the Poseable version. Sadly, it's not in the cards for me on this one. 

Nice! 🤩

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

If these new Legioss kits were in 1/48, it would have gone great with the Poseable version.

How lucky you are, then, that Aoshima is constantly re-issuing their 1:48 Legioss kits:

aos05554_0.jpg

aos05553_0.jpg?v=1709836294

aos05555_0.jpg

The Toynami "Masterpiece" toys were based on Aoshima molds, so they ought to scale perfectly. 👍

@tekering I actually bought one of the Aoshima kits a few years ago to use just in fighter, not too happy with the overall design. 

For me because the Legioss is such a small mecha vs the Valkyrie, 1/72 scale is too small for my taste. 

Just like the all the scales afforded the Valkyries, I'd love to have a squadron of Legioss fighters (Hasegawa or WAVE quality) in 1/48 scale (detailed landing gear, resin pilot, open/close canopy and missile racks, etc.), especially the Dark Legioss. 

One of these days perhaps. 

9 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I'd love to have a squadron of Legioss fighters (Hasegawa or WAVE quality) in 1/48 scale (detailed landing gear, resin pilot, open/close canopy and missile racks, etc.), especially the Dark Legioss. 

Mixing and matching the products of different companies rarely works out well...

Legiossscalemix.jpg.a011058c5f5176c0366c2dba0523c366.jpg

Apart from the different aesthetics each company brings to their product lines, you'll find a great deal of disagreement about what "1:48th scale" means...

8 hours ago, Mog said:

And only one of those can probably hold a pose solidly, right?

Frankly, that's irrelevant to the stated goals @505thAirborne has outlined.  To assemble "a squadron of Legioss fighters (Hasegawa or WAVE quality) in 1/48 scale," the vintage Aoshima kits have been found wanting.  I totally get that.  However, there remain no modern alternatives available.  Trying to track down a resin kit like Moscato Hobby's Legioss would be cost-prohibitive, and is at a different "1:48" anyway.

So, unless you're content to wait and hope another company produces injection-mold kits at the size and style you're after, your best bet is 3D-printing your own.

wireframeLegioss.jpg.733b7c8507ace84a0a9025b4d76bea83.jpg

As I've experienced over the past few months, there are tremendous advantages to 3D-printed miniatures.  The biggest, of course, is having absolute control over scale.

Every Macross fan knows the headache of trying to establish logically-consistent scale within any hand-drawn anime production.  Mecha was drawn to illustrate the story on a scene-by-scene basis, with overworked and underpaid animators simply doing their best to ensure a coherent narrative.  Often there were no established dimensions to work with, and even when studios provided such statistics, they frequently contradicted onscreen evidence anyway.  Geeks like us will nitpick any visual inconsistencies, and apply our own head-canon so it all makes sense. 

When merchandise is manufactured, designers have to make similar decisions, which is why we end up with massive discrepancies in pilot and mecha sizes even when the stated scales are the same.  3D-printing your own models allows you to match the size of whatever mass-produced kit or toy you want to complement.  

Furthermore, just about everything you'd possibly want to print has already been modeled for you, and there is a wide variety of software available for manipulating 3D models, making it easy to adjust proportions, add or change details, and basically customize your ideal mecha.  You're only limited by your own resources.

Personally, I think Sentinel has already produced the definitive 1:48 Legioss, so I see no need to print my own... but that's purely subjective. ☺️

I could see using 3D printing to aid me in making more 3.75” customs.

And it probably would aid in designing sculpt and articulation.

But painting (especially detailed markings and faces) would still be a challenge, as well as acquiring the right soft goods.

At this point in my collecting phase, it’s just not cost efficient for me to get a 3D printer.

Got a few projects lined up, but I know I’m getting close to wrapping up the collections.

I think at this point, I'm less interested in more "canon" Legioss designs, and more in new interpretations like we saw with the new Tread artwork from a while back.  Sentinel pretty well nailed it, and while I wouldn't mind seeing an even bigger version, I have no idea whether it would be affordable.

I'd just be interested in seeing what a more aircraft-focused approach would give us.  I'm not going to say I've worked out how any of the transformation would work, or what the proportions would look like, but I'd be interested to see if anyone could make something along these lines work at all.

ss(2021-02-22at08_34.31).jpg.66787823dc4720bcd751c0b80e9c67a8.jpgss(2021-02-22at08_34.55).png.5e9ac7577d902adb99b024e741cefeff.png

Would this actually work?  I'm thinking not very well, since it would lose a lot of the chunky charm of the original.  The arms might work, if the whole lower arm shrouded the upper like an extended VF-1 elbow.  The wings would probably need to be much smaller to start with though, and collapse in other ways. 

I would just be interested to see if anyone could come up with something that makes it look more like an aircraft, and less like an almost SD/Joke Machine-esque design, even in canon.  Maybe even if just the cockpit was shrunken down somewhat?  It just looks cartoonishly huge.

Edited by Chronocidal