Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

After transforming it to battroid is there something I missed because the ankles don't lock in at all and can still rotate freely. 

Though they're rachet joints I don't think I can trust them to keep the figure standing long term. Maybe I should just keep it on the stand permanently? O_o

On a side note I reached out to Kappa Hobby and they directed me to https://www.bandai.com/returns-replacements so I made the request for a replacement canopy and headlaser. 

*Link is only good for USA YF-21's that have the Bamco warning label like below

WarningLabelandUPC.jpg.2718994fd6c48f44b6b8ee7a61860fa8.jpg

Edited by Duymon

I just received mine from EKnightmedia. Two issues:

1. slightly bent antennae near the tip, I can live with this

2. I don't know the proper terminology to describe them, but there are two small fins in the bottom front side of the bird, one on each side. I believe my copy has two left fins. The right one was already popped out when I remove the YF-21 from the tray. When I pop the right fin back in, it doesn't swivel at all like the left one does, which is when I realized I received two left fins. It does fit but the fin would be closer to vertical unlike the other one.

Has anyone dealt with Eknight media before on issues like this?

IMG_6900.jpg

Hmnn.

I've got a copy of that sticker on one of my YF-29s, since I got it through Amazon.  It's -almost- identical, but the age label is slightly different.

I wonder if they'd accept that with a request for a replacement head laser.

1 hour ago, locidm said:

2. I don't know the proper terminology to describe them, but there are two small fins in the bottom front side of the bird, one on each side. I believe my copy has two left fins. The right one was already popped out when I remove the YF-21 from the tray. When I pop the right fin back in, it doesn't swivel at all like the left one does, which is when I realized I received two left fins. It does fit but the fin would be closer to vertical unlike the other one.

IMG_6900.jpg

I didn't even contact them, I just went right to the replacement link MacrossJunkie Provided.

https://www.bandai.com/returns-replacements

Oh boy, I found another issue with mine. The gray plastic that holds the metal landing gear is kind of soft. I had the landing gears deployed and wanted to push them back in. The port side landing gear won't hold firmly and the flimsy plastic flexes and causes the metal landing gear to pop out of its grip. The lock that keeps the landing gear in the vertical position is stronger than the plastic that holds the landing gear. it's already showing some signs of wear from repeated attempts to pop the gear in and push it down. I finally got it by pushing as close to the base as possible, but I'm not using the landing gears again if I can help it. This thing is just lousy all over and am kind of having some buyer's remorse.

Just now, rsvictor1976 said:

Will that work in the U.S. for the premium web shot exclusives like the VT-1?

If I'm not wrong, it won't. For Tamashii shop exclusives, for SDFM and DYRL items since those are not part of the WWR, you are supposed to have a Japanese address, luckily for many of us some retailers make them available for over seas. If you get your items via a proxy you may still have a chance to get replacement parts.

4 hours ago, locidm said:

IMG_6900.jpg

eknight is a reputable company. it looks like dealing with Bandai directly or through eknight will be a viable solution since you purchased this in the US.

1 hour ago, rsvictor1976 said:

Will that work in the U.S. for the premium web shot exclusives like the VT-1?

It should. The one I got was for the US distribution. It has the Bandai Namco warning sticker on it which the replacement form requires or they won't even consider the request. 

I was directed to that web form by the US retailer I bought from.

I think my question would be whether they would accept a photo of a product with that sticker, even if the receipt was from a webshop based in Japan.

I have half a mind to swap the sticker off of my YF-29 I got locally, and see if they'll let me request a replacement antenna for the one I got from HLJ.

Someone scan that Bandai Namco sticker so we can print it ourselves. :rolleyes:

What I'm noticing from @Duymon's box pic, is that US YF-21 also has something extra that mine from JP doesn't have: It's those embossed numbers at bottom right of box.

DXYF-21USbox.jpg.029966a8bb5379716edd815ffc074aac.jpg

8 hours ago, MKT said:

Someone scan that Bandai Namco sticker so we can print it ourselves. :rolleyes:

What I'm noticing from @Duymon's box pic, is that US YF-21 also has something extra that mine from JP doesn't have: It's those embossed numbers at bottom right of box.

DXYF-21USbox.jpg.029966a8bb5379716edd815ffc074aac.jpg

Interesting, without having the JP one, I wouldn't have known that. That may be part of what they're looking for when they have us send a picture of the upc code. I have the same number embossed on mine as well.

Does Bandai support only support from a retailer or from 'ebay'?
Meaning if those embossed numbers on the back of the box are the same across the US based YF-21s,  and the sticker is the same, could we make a claim to get a replacement antenna?

Its a gray area I know, but lately I feel particularly bitten by Bandai with my DX purchases, so I think I might be willing to cross into the gray zone to restore at least one of them to true normal.

18 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Does Bandai support only support from a retailer or from 'ebay'?
Meaning if those embossed numbers on the back of the box are the same across the US based YF-21s,  and the sticker is the same, could we make a claim to get a replacement antenna?

Its a gray area I know, but lately I feel particularly bitten by Bandai with my DX purchases, so I think I might be willing to cross into the gray zone to restore at least one of them to true normal.

Can't hurt to try at the very least. 

They ask for:

1. A picture of the part needing replacement (presumably showing the defect)
  2. A receipt of the order showing who you got it from, date of purchase and the item purchased
  3. Picture of the Bandai Namco sticker on the box
  4. Picture of the UPC code

If you can provide all that, I would think you would have a chance.

If this replacement service works out for me, I may just end up getting from US retailers in the future since Bandai's QC has really gone down the toilet these past 4 or so years, even more so than usual. However, I probably won't know for 6-8 weeks as they claim that's how long this will take.

From the email:

image.png.dbd566d3360ca21ed2a91c535a0294b9.png

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Hello all! I am selling my DX YF-21. It is solid with no loose joints and NO broken antenna. I threw the box away almost a month ago. Comes with ALL the accessories it originally came with along with the instruction manual 

I will upload more photos later, but here is one photo 

I am charging $315 with FREE SHIPPING. I ship only to the states and use paypal of course. 

I can upload a video showing how solid it is

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

3 hours ago, brooklynmacross said:

Hello all! I am selling my DX YF-21. It is solid with no loose joints and NO broken antenna. I threw the box away almost a month ago. Comes with ALL the accessories it originally came with along with the instruction manual 

I will upload more photos later, but here is one photo 

I am charging $315 with FREE SHIPPING. I ship only to the states and use paypal of course. 

I'm no moderator, but this is best to post it in the For Sale & Trade section. 

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/9-for-sale-trade/

+1 Bent from HLJ. Not as severe as others. While the shipping box was overpacked with other items, the YF-21's product box suffered from both shipping/handling and poor packing. I believe the damage on the antenna is due poor assembly/mishandling at the factory.

As others have tested/stated I too put a bunch of pressure on the top tray cover to force contact on the antenna and nowhere was it near enough (coming into contact) to cause that kind of bend/damage to the antenna.

Possible theory is that when the worker was forming the 21 into fighter mode (folding the bay doors into place, etc.), they placed it upside down with the antenna (accidently) in the forward position making it a tripod (rather than it resting more on the canopy), all the while putting downward pressure onto the 21 causing the antenna to bend. 

I did an initial inspection. I checked the shoulder assemblies to see if there was a double/same side shoulder issue and both are as they should be. I did not get the time to change it into all three modes. Nothing else (so far) seemed severely damaged/out of place.

I do have a heatgun, but I'll prob use the hot water method later. 

20240808_095350.jpg.10d6ec7ce91358784d75d4e187c5e7b9.jpg

Spoiler

20240808_095226.jpg.848f2b56344fcad4c0e259f634aeefbd.jpg20240808_095022.jpg.3fda42664307e1b6ff518b902c8c34de.jpg20240808_095053.jpg.76d3ae72a7778daf29dd22403ae1a8b4.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

+1 antenna bent from Luna Park. Use hair dryer  method fixed the problem. Still very slightly bent because I do not want to over do it. So, 99% straight is ok to me. Not notice it in any angle, except front view. Will try again at the weekend and see if I can make it 100% straight.

20240808_145529.jpg

Spent like 30 min messing with some panel lining, edge highlighting and doing some drybrushing just to see how it would look since I have been doing the same with the joytoy WH40k stuff I've been collecting lately. 

image.jpeg.b774096fd3a127c0c6361156f556b17c.jpeg

Not sure how I will go about weathering it. There's just so many pieces that rub together, especially taking the legs out of the bay or pushing them back in. There doesn't seem to be any way to do it without a lot of scraping. Might have to just go without a clear coat for once.

I’m really not loving  that backpack attachment part.  I think a simple fix could be creating a blue hinged piece that plugs into existing backpack socket.  It could lay flat in fighter mode and then hinge out 90 degrees in battroid.  I don’t know own or know how to use a 3d printer but maybe one of you do?  I’l gladly pay for one. Hah. 

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_3001.jpeg