Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Has anyone else actually glued the flaps to the wing?  They are SO slippery I dropped parts like 4 times this morning and said "that's enough".  

Pro-tip: do not glue them in one at a time---there's like 0.2mm too little space side-to-side, so if you glue one in "perfectly flush and tight" to the wing and let it dry---the one next to it will be noticeably pushed out of position.  Glue them simultaneously, and adjust to get "the best possible gap/look" between the two.   (the tiny little inner third piece doesn't matter, just the two larger ones)

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Has anyone else actually glued the flaps to the wing?  They are SO slippery I dropped parts like 4 times this morning and said "that's enough".  

Pro-tip: do not glue them in one at a time---there's like 0.2mm too little space side-to-side, so if you glue one in "perfectly flush and tight" to the wing and let it dry---the one next to it will be noticeably pushed out of position.  Glue them simultaneously, and adjust to get "the best possible gap/look" between the two.   (the tiny little inner third piece doesn't matter, just the two larger ones)

I might just stick putty in to keep them in place. Makes it not permanent, but keeps them from falling out easily.

I can't imagine actually wanting whatever it is that Bandai may eventually plan to use the removable aspect for.  If they want to recreate the morphing wing scene---needs a whole new wing, not just flaps and ailerons.  

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I glued mine in weeks ago. Your advice would have come in real handy... (^.^')

Mine stay in well enough with friction that I don't feel like they need glue, but the inner tabs feel the loosest.

I usually lean toward non-permanent solutions for things like this, just in case I ever need to sell one of them.  They're tight enough that a layer of scotch tape or even a slip of paper folded over the tabs will probably add plenty of friction to keep them in place.

22 hours ago, Angesdad said:

Cool looking runway there, did you make it? your photos look amazing as always!😘

thanks so much!

no it's a baseplate that was made for me by someone (and I can't find the who atm sorry)

17 minutes ago, Mommar said:

First impression... that damn antenna.  Second impression, what a lovely blue.  Third impression, feels unnecassarily heavy.  Fourth inpression, Fighter mode absolutely sucks.

^ This. :spiteful: 

Well... and everything that you mentioned. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

damn not keeping count as i don't really check this thread cause this thing is a mess...

how many bent antennas so far reported in here? seems like a lot.

A lot +1

got mine today from Kappa Hobby. (-_-) 

20240805_191147_HDR.jpg.d3f43b9b9b616f5d6bd8ac570eb35cb8.jpg

51 minutes ago, Mommar said:

First impression... that damn antenna.  Second impression, what a lovely blue.  Third impression, feels unnecassarily heavy.  Fourth inpression, Fighter mode absolutely sucks.

Not really wrong at all, but the fighter mode feels all over the place.

If I were to make a very nerdy comparison?  It's got very TNG Enterprise feeling about it.  Some really good angles, but holy cow does it turn ugly if you catch the bad ones.  Words do not exist to fully describe the massive chonky butt this thing is dragging around.  It kind of feels like a boat.  Not like a speedboat.. something more in the Maersk category.

The nose definitely feels like it's of a different scale than the rest of the plane though, and I would genuinely be interested in seeing what would happen if it was just swapped out for something bigger.  Yamato really nailed the mechanism for the nose to shorten it, and it's stupidly disappointing Bandai couldn't come up with something similar.

The part I have trouble mentally processing is that the overall proportions aren't even that different... but everything looks completely out of scale by comparison.

Sadly I had planned for this. Imagine having to do work on a 300 dollar toy if there was a hasegawa 1/48 yf-21 fighter I would rather have gotten that :p

Removed Antenna 20240805_191521_HDR.jpg.4539f0c8e8248994e7829781779346db.jpg

Did several passes of heat gun followed by quickly clamping with a non-textured plastic clamp

20240805_193618_HDR.jpg.af3dc30cf74536fdd136d96f9f80fe61.jpg

It's not 100% but at least it passes the shelf-check and stress mark is gone (but the stress mark to my heart will never fade) 

20240805_194024_HDR.jpg.e24a3e78514ae4e7cd962e97c922df7b.jpg

Edited by Duymon

9 minutes ago, Duymon said:

Sadly I had planned for this. Imagine having to do work on a 300 dollar toy if there was a hasegawa 1/48 yf-21 fighter I would rather have gotten that :p

Removed Antenna 20240805_191521_HDR.jpg.4539f0c8e8248994e7829781779346db.jpg

Did several passes of heat gun followed by quickly clamping with a non-textured plastic clamp

20240805_193618_HDR.jpg.af3dc30cf74536fdd136d96f9f80fe61.jpg

It's not 100% but at least it passes the shelf-check and stress mark is gone (but the stress mark to my heart will never fade) 

20240805_194024_HDR.jpg.e24a3e78514ae4e7cd962e97c922df7b.jpg

Can you show picture of side profile of antenna after you tried straightening it? I am curious to see if there is any streaking...

4 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Can you show picture of side profile of antenna after you tried straightening it? I am curious to see if there is any streaking...

20240805_195727_HDR-edit-20240805195900.jpg.6bc43aa57242b6f8bae7856fa7764030.jpg20240805_195747_HDR.jpg.f424345d9a7788626e0f78a6d50f35ec.jpg

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

If I were to make a very nerdy comparison?  It's got very TNG Enterprise feeling about it.  Some really good angles, but holy cow does it turn ugly if you catch the bad ones.  Words do not exist to fully describe the massive chonky butt this thing is dragging around.  It kind of feels like a boat.  Not like a speedboat.. something more in the Maersk category.

The nose definitely feels like it's of a different scale than the rest of the plane though, and I would genuinely be interested in seeing what would happen if it was just swapped out for something bigger.  Yamato really nailed the mechanism for the nose to shorten it, and it's stupidly disappointing Bandai couldn't come up with something similar.

The part I have trouble mentally processing is that the overall proportions aren't even that different... but everything looks completely out of scale by comparison.

Like the HMR VF-2SS release, she looks great if you're looking down at her from above. However, from the side and bottom views, they're both quite thick.

The battroid canopy uses the same brittle plastic but I decided to sacrifice it and started removing the paint. comes off super ez with IPA

20240805_211733_HDR.jpg.c130103301444cd091d00c776587034a.jpg

imagine paying 300 bucks to avoid masking a canopy only to do it anyways cuz Bandai

20240805_212544_HDR.jpg.c6189e800572679cfeb9c67bd32922f8.jpg

🤡🤡🤡

Edited by Duymon

4 hours ago, Duymon said:

20240805_195727_HDR-edit-20240805195900.jpg.6bc43aa57242b6f8bae7856fa7764030.jpg20240805_195747_HDR.jpg.f424345d9a7788626e0f78a6d50f35ec.jpg

Its great the stress mark has totally disappeared, and I'm inclined to try it too. :good: But do I detect a slight bit of the tip sagging from the heat?

3 hours ago, Duymon said:

The battroid canopy uses the same brittle plastic but I decided to sacrifice it and started removing the paint. comes off super ez with IPA

20240805_211733_HDR.jpg.c130103301444cd091d00c776587034a.jpg

imagine paying 300 bucks to avoid masking a canopy only to do it anyways cuz Bandai

20240805_212544_HDR.jpg.c6189e800572679cfeb9c67bd32922f8.jpg

🤡🤡🤡

Cockpit canopy damage, including crack lines on the bubble dome, were also reported by couple others on FB, but always thought they were isolated issue like the twin shoulders. Now we have 2 cases here including @MacrossJunkie's. I guess having extra cockpit canopy is better than having no extra head lasers..

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

100% agree here. Just in Fighter so far, I thought it would look & feel much better in hand than pics suggest, but everything just seems uneven on both fronts. I thought I might like Fighter enough in this alternate interpretation to display it in that mode, but Yamato's a clear winner here so it'll have to go into Battroid for display. 

It's August now---any consensus on best transformation video etc?  Have any of the new ones "discovered" anything that the  earlier ones missed?  (still eagerly awaiting AnyMoon/Scorched Earth's)

2 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

It's August now---any consensus on best transformation video etc?  Have any of the new ones "discovered" anything that the  earlier ones missed?  (still eagerly awaiting AnyMoon/Scorched Earth's)

always rely on Wotafa's video...

This is not YF-21 centric concern but I'm just wondering how come other companies starts and/or relies on using magnets in their transforming toys to hold parts together but Bandai doesn't? Does magnet on toys worn out quickly hence Bandai is not using it on most of their toys? I'm pretty sure magnets can help on some of the YF-21 areas such as shoulder and backpack. I wonder why?

3 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Mine should go up this weekend, just waiting on my voice to recover from a head cold to finish.