Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

1 hour ago, treatment said:

Yotsuba Toy Club posted their review (enable CC option for language subs):

Man, I was willing to forgive most of the stuff that was upsetting people about this YF-21. But one thing I cannot accept is seeing how the shoulders do not tab into place in battroid mode. Should  those joints loosen up, the arms will become so floppy. 

Does anyone know why Bandai included dummy gun pods?

Also that little U-pin for the backpack is really saying a lot about Bandai’s oversight on this.

And for no reason at all, you need to place an adapter to keep the body and backpack locked together. What is this a VF-2SS Hi-Metal R type  of solution?

So many disappointing choices.

:(  

32 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Does anyone know why Bandai included dummy gun pods?

Also that little U-pin for the backpack is really saying a lot about Bandai’s oversight on this.

And for no reason at all, you need to place an adapter to keep the body and backpack locked together. What is this a VF-2SS Hi-Metal R type  of solution?

With belly fast pack plates on, if you had the real gun pods, the landing gears won't reach the floor by just a couple hairs or so.

As for why it's designed like that after going so far with fudging all the proportions and mechanisms, it's probably same reason that the pin and battroid adapter exists...

It also seems they designed it so the real gun pods can't be used with the FP, so that you can't make the grave mistake of forgoing displaying it on wheels, just to keep all the perfect transformation parts together. Also, you can't exactly perfect transform anyway, because once again, we look to the pin and adapter...

Seems like it's schrodinger's right and wrong. It's transparent with a recessed red part, so all versions are kind of right and kind of wrong at the same time lol.

Looks like Yotsuba Toy Club just said "F DA BRACE" and pretended it doesn't exist lol. Doing that seems to come with the added bonus of dropping the giant collar plate out of sight. That's how we've been seeing different "adjustable" heights of the backpack.

Kind of appalling why Bandai couldn't have snuck in a fold out brace from between the engines in place of the dedicated battroid brace peg slot though. That space should be hollow towards the tail half, and able to fit a girthy support bar. It could probably have even served double duty as the lock pin if it folded up toward the front too...

But since the pin isn't exactly necessary either, I guess the whole thing could still be considered perfect transformation. That is, ignoring the FP gunpods.... 😭

Just got my copy this morning from HLJ. Antennae was bent. I have no idea how this can even happen. The plane is not loose in the box, I tried shaking it. No signs of dent on the plastic cover. But still dent... fml. Seems like it was dent intentionally before it was packed.

20240701_110249.jpg

15 minutes ago, ZYZY said:

Just got my copy this morning from HLJ. Antennae was bent. I have no idea how this can even happen. The plane is not loose in the box, I tried shaking it. No signs of dent on the plastic cover. But still dent... fml. Seems like it was dent intentionally before it was packed.

Spoiler

20240701_110249.jpg

Geez, this is apparently more widespread. Just about 20+ minutes ago someone else (from Taiwan) posted on one of the fb groups with the same problem. 🤕

35 minutes ago, ZYZY said:

20240701_110249.jpg

Aww, that sux!

Were you able to communicate with HLJ regarding their response to this issue?

Mine seems to have just landed at LA earlier, per DHLtracking.

Expecting delivery tomorrow and really pryaing I don't get upsettingly Bandai'ed with a rather expensive toy...

:5:

Edited by treatment

25 minutes ago, treatment said:

Aww, that sux!

Were you able to communicate with HLJ regarding their response to this issue?

Mine seems to have just landed at LA earlier, per DHLtracking.

Expecting delivery tomorrow and really pryaing I don't get upsettingly Bandai'ed with a rather expensive toy...

:5:

Not yet. Will keep yall posted. Saw a post on FB from a hongkong group. At least 7/10 ppl are having this issue. 

4 minutes ago, ZYZY said:

Not yet. Will keep yall posted. Saw a post on FB from a hongkong group. At least 7/10 ppl are having this issue. 

this one seems newly posted and japan-based:

https://x.com/himajinFigNeo/status/1807583253374878061

web-translated:

image.png.65c51472d8fcc5ca1e117330e6c49bf4.png

Incidentally, are the the "bends" specifically that way?  

I haven't seen a posted bent-laser that isn't like that, yet.

5 minutes ago, treatment said:

web-translated:

Seems like alot are in this direction... which is odd. Have not seen any bending the other way. 

Just now, treatment said:

web-translated:

Handling at packing?

For the price being charged, why not just pack it separated but securely?  They already did that with the exhaust paddles.

How can the same company that churns out quality SOC’s be the same one that designed and made this?

@ZYZY sorry to hear this.

Yeah the HK / Taiwan groups are reporting about 2 cases daily, & you are right, they all bend in that one direction.

Unlike the YF-19 Full Pack, there’s actually quite a bit of clearance between the tip of head laser to the top of the plastic bubble. If there aren’t any scuffs on the plastic bubble itself where the head laser come into contact with, then it points to the issue already happening at factory during packing.

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I saw in one of the reviews you can snap/pop it out of the head...could you heat it up...say hair dryer and slowly slowly slowly bend it back and leave it in a mini vice/clip for a few days to have it remember the shape?

I don't think it will fix the problem. Cuz when it's bent, u can already see the stress marks. This is quite disappointing. I have another on the way as well. Totally not surprised if i get the same issue. 

10 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I saw in one of the reviews you can snap/pop it out of the head...could you heat it up...say hair dryer and slowly slowly slowly bend it back and leave it in a mini vice/clip for a few days to have it remember the shape?

I've done this on bent plastic with the heat, reshape, and then dump in cold water technique, but the bent plastic was a bit thicker than a valk's head laser where I would think this sort of bend really compromises the whole structural integrity. I'd probably expect the piece to just snap after heating up and trying to bend it back into shape even slowly, but I guess the piece is essentially ruined anyway so perhaps it's worth a shot.

At this point, Bandai might as well start packaging their valks with the head lasers or antennas off and put it with the accessories.

Are they all literally only bent to the right?

My conspiracy brain is starting to think whole batches of these were rolled off the mold or through some other proceedure already crooked, and then assembled as is. Everyone down the assembly line somehow weren't paid enough to care, or collectively were covering up for some mistake. Or it was perfectly fine until the last person in line happened to be the legendary disgruntled employee out for some deliberate sabotaging...

Bandai probably found out somewhere along the way, but couldn't be arsed to pay for more man hours to unpack everything and QC all over again, as well as divert components for repairs. So now they are having customers QC their own units, while shirking off some of the blame on shipping. With this scheme, they can also run a replacement parts production batch, only after they've fulfilled deliveries of complete units. 🤡

LOL, it's almost certainly the shape of the blister the toy is packed in: if pressure is applied on the left side the blister is better supported, if pressure is applied on the right side the blister gives and the fin gets crushed. Though not exaclty the same, that's also how the YF-19 lasers broke... the blister would give if the box took a shock during shipping and snap the laser. 

I can confirm I got a bent/stressed antenna out of the box.

The problem is the bubble packaging but not what many would think.  The problem is that the length of the bubble where the antenna is too short. Any compressing would make the bubble touch the tip of the antenna from the side. 

If you don't want to waste 300 dollars I recommend waiting for a fix. 

20240701_151257.jpg

Broken head lasers and possibly a shoulder misassembly issue - has anyone else reported incorrect shoulder joints?

We got Bandaied(TM)!

Edited by Sildani

Wow... Last pages quite a intriguing read. Again I'll say it, glad I'm not a fan of the 21.

IMO (Solely based on my engineering/design and collector background), it appears Bandai changed design team working on this particular 21 a couple of times.

There's methodology of techniques that don't blend. It's as if there was a initial team that did all the ground work, then instead of ironing out all the oddities after the first prototypes, they shelfed until a different design team picked it up to add their quick clean up to rush it out on the market. 

A few examples to back this up. The gerwalk Pin goes against previous DX philosophies, as does that backpack holder. They're like the quickest last moment solutions. 

Edited by Raikkonen

5 hours ago, ZYZY said:

I don't think it will fix the problem. Cuz when it's bent, u can already see the stress marks. This is quite disappointing. I have another on the way as well. Totally not surprised if i get the same issue. 

Yes, mine had the stress marks. I do not consider myself picky, but for the price I was really angry to see the stress marks and no spare parts. Again, I think the problem is the bubble packaging itself, not how well it has been protected while shipped.