Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Battroid mode definitely needs the FP attached to the belly plates to make them look right. They're so short that even the gunpods are sticking out past them when attached...

That said, I have to wait until August to get mine. I couldn't get any from overseas vendors. Dreading whether I'll find a broken head laser or not. 

I really hope Mr. K's desire to have another go at the YF-21 at Arcadia actually comes to fruition.

It feels like Bandai didn't even put in half the effort they expended on the YF-19. They even went so far as to integrate the neck cover for fighter mode right into the shield so you wouldn't have extra parts laying around and making it actual perfect transformation and not having large divots in the back of the thighs that require extra parts to cover up. Then here with the 21, we have "auxiliary parts" unnecessarily and a number of questionable design and packaging choices.

Boy I would absolutely love to see how much bigger you could get the legs of the Yamato if they used the Bandai style transformation.

Might still need to hollow out the underside of the engine fairings on the backplate to fit them in, but that was always one of my bigger curiosities about the Yamato design.  There's a fair amount of room there, if you don't cover it up.

6 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

There is a video out on you tube but form some reason I can’t grab the link.

If anyone can find it please share it here.

enphily posted this video. You can find it on the previous page. I'll share it again:

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

It feels like Bandai didn't even put in half the effort they expended on the YF-19. They even went so far as to integrate the neck cover for fighter mode right into the shield so you wouldn't have extra parts laying around and making it actual perfect transformation and not having large divots in the back of the thighs that require extra parts to cover up. Then here with the 21, we have "auxiliary parts" unnecessarily and a number of questionable design and packaging choices.

This. 

Like some have mentioned, Bandai just focused on making the legs beefier and stopped there. The legs and feet do look good but need to be spun 180⁰ every transformation. The sliding mechanism for the backpack looks cool too.

2 hours ago, m0n5t3r said:

This. 

Like some have mentioned, Bandai just focused on making the legs beefier and stopped there. The legs and feet do look good but need to be spun 180⁰ every transformation. The sliding mechanism for the backpack looks cool too.

Agreed; I noticed that as well.

3 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Huh?

Why so small?

image.png.617a6ae3091c5585fabf0967a0af5f45.png

In my opinion, the Yamato was way too tall. It looked stupidly taller compared to the other non-VF-1 1/60 battroids I had back then. I'm happy that the Bandai YF-19 and 21 roughly have the same head height.

20 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Well, AmiAmi wanted 8200 yen for 2-4 week air parcel, so I asked to change to DHL for 600 yen more...  (EMS was even more than DHL this time) 

Same here, going with DHL was the easiest choice. Luckily, I had some points saved up with AmiAmi so that came in handy! 

43 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

In my opinion, the Yamato was way too tall. It looked stupidly taller compared to the other non-VF-1 1/60 battroids I had back then. I'm happy that the Bandai YF-19 and 21 roughly have the same head height.

hmm.

Think they're about the same height and volume differences as our original Yammie YF-19 and YF-21 from years ago...

DX YF-19 vs DX YF-21

from https://x.com/hyogetu_japan/status/1807211868878164343

image.png.5b4f64cacfad2f9a218b1ed8a7a06c00.png

from https://x.com/simsim5479/status/1806986792094335020

image.png.6093b5304dd5c6ff5bc6ebe2b83f49af.png image.png.4e43ca7e2a5fdeca1afd574dcad90a20.png

As usual, click on the respective twitter-links for full-scale versions of the pics.

Edited by treatment

15 minutes ago, MKT said:

The DX Fighter didn’t seem to be as fat now.

Some of the head on shots had me thinking that there may have been one specific thing I wasn't liking about the thickness of the fighter mode, and that was how far below the intakes the belly of the fighter was. Yes, it's fatter than the Yamato, but at the same time, the intakes on the Bandai are actually smaller than those of the Yamato so it looks even thicker than it is.

4 minutes ago, snakerbot said:

Some of the head on shots had me thinking that there may have been one specific thing I wasn't liking about the thickness of the fighter mode, and that was how far below the intakes the belly of the fighter was. Yes, it's fatter than the Yamato, but at the same time, the intakes on the Bandai are actually smaller than those of the Yamato so it looks even thicker than it is.

When put that way, you are right on the small intakes accentuating the belly.
For me, it’s looking like the DX is one of those designs that looks better in hand than in pics. Specific freeze frame angles can make it look unflattering - both Fighter & Battroid, but the shape & profile changes a bit on other angles that makes it look pretty nice to me.

26 minutes ago, treatment said:

heads up!

some new disturbance in the force...

https://x.com/nseman/status/1807039563397017672

web-translated:

image.png.ff96c301da5a1f2a08b4be0136081c93.png

As usual, click on the twitter-link for full-scale versions of the pics,

Well, that blows. So we have to also transform it to look for 2 left shoulders in addition to broken head laser.

34 minutes ago, treatment said:

hot from the oven, Bandai HG-comparo...

https://x.com/simsim5479/status/1807248926388691302

web-translated:

image.png.173fc86ff609cc7562ba2e910b672cc8.png

The tailfins on the DX are supposed to be pushed back for fighter mode. They are in the Battroid, forwards configuration in that comparison pic.

Also, for some reason, it looks like the flaps on the wings can come off? One of mine was really loose, so I gluded it on... Hope that Bandai isn't planning a set with exchangable warped ones to recreate the opening scene or anything.

30 minutes ago, Actar said:

Also, for some reason, it looks like the flaps on the wings can come off? One of mine was really loose, so I gluded it on... Hope that Bandai isn't planning a set with exchangable warped ones to recreate the opening scene or anything.

Do you mean like this?

https://x.com/Fhima2/status/1807043270016720983

web-translated:

image.png.135e4699089a2ebf56c3390326902428.png

--

Also, Wotafa will have to wait for his own YF-21 a bit later to review, it seems...

https://x.com/wotakufighter/status/1807226193130991640

image.png.c8e9fb294429ce4b217742f3acb89c01.png

Edited by treatment

Just for “gits and shiggles,” here’s a comparison of the Yamato 1/60 M+ Valks in battroid modes:

large.gallery_3595_265_109149.jpg.f91ae86a205005ca76fda0a745a5cfa3.jpglarge.gallery_3595_265_233682.jpg.14f5701ed8f4637277d2aa87e8efbbbf.jpg

Yes, the Omega has a very wide A-stance in both pics, but it gives you at least a starting point for comparisons.

image.png.1002794ebc1081c1b50dc8d1e65bd5c4.png

Either Bandai forgot to glue them or its for a special future release bent wings slip in option
Probably a lottery at the next Tamashi Nations event.   :)
Any bets?

ah...it will also include the Ghost and possible a fold booster
Wing Warp Ghost and Fold Booster Full Set!

image.png.0d025abc03cda8e6c479ddeb8e6c7e12.png

27 minutes ago, Mog said:

Just for “gits and shiggles,” here’s a comparison of the Yamato 1/60 M+ Valks in battroid modes:

large.gallery_3595_265_109149.jpg.f91ae86a205005ca76fda0a745a5cfa3.jpglarge.gallery_3595_265_233682.jpg.14f5701ed8f4637277d2aa87e8efbbbf.jpg

Yes, the Omega has a very wide A-stance in both pics, but it gives you at least a starting point for comparisons.

Wait are the VF-1s larger than the yf-19 and yf-21??? Idk why but i always assumed the VF-1s were significantly smaller

8 minutes ago, Darth_Tater69 said:

Wait are the VF-1s larger than the yf-19 and yf-21??? Idk why but i always assumed the VF-1s were significantly smaller

Those VF-1's at the back in @Mog;s old pic are the 1/48s.

His 1/60v1 Max-1A at the front is the correct scale to pit against his YF-19 and YF-21, which are both 1/60, too.

Edited by treatment

Nah, the TV style ones are all 1/48’s.  Plus, they’re all on DVD covers that act as risers.

The DYRL Max on the left is a 1/60 scale figure.

4 hours ago, treatment said:

heads up!

some new disturbance in the force...

https://x.com/nseman/status/1807039563397017672

web-translated:

image.png.ff96c301da5a1f2a08b4be0136081c93.png

As usual, click on the twitter-link for full-scale versions of the pics,

This release seems to plague with issues.first is the antenna and now two left shoulders. Hope that the shoulder issue is a once off issue.

On a side note, do love and prefer the DX YF-21 in fighter and battroid over that of yammie but hate the backpack and huge gap design, which bandai could have solved by allowong the folded wings to slot and tucked into the backpack

I'm sure Bandai planned it around the warped wings if those are so easily detachable, but that doeesn't exactly mean they plan to release it lol.

It could be one of many things that they design and decide to release or shelve on a coin flip lol.

That hypothetical accessory set mainly made of the missing stuff from the 19's complete set continues to grow bigger. Next thing you know, there are even extra antennas and lock pins in there...

35 minutes ago, PointBlankSniper said:

I'm sure Bandai planned it around the warped wings if those are so easily detachable, but that doeesn't exactly mean they plan to release it lol.

It could be one of many things that they design and decide to release or shelve on a coin flip lol.

That hypothetical accessory set mainly made of the missing stuff from the 19's complete set continues to grow bigger. Next thing you know, there are even extra antennas and lock pins in there...

I only said that because I glued mine in. Lol. A couple of them kept falling out on mine.