Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Got it home, took it out of the box.

Haven't transformed it yet. Just zoomed it around a bit and deployed the landing gear 

I also put Guld in the cockpit, attached the thrust vector paddles (they are not attached to the YF-21 as it comes in the box, you have to attach them yourself).

I also tried to fit the FAST packs. 

The belly FAST packs attach fairly easily and securely.

The non-transforming gunpods can attach to the fighter mode both with and without the belly FAST packs installed.

However, I could not get the arm FAST packs to attach to the vertical stabilisers. At least on my toy the peg on the arm FAST packs that plugs into the hole in the stabilisers seems to be a bit oversize and I couldn't get it to plug into the hole. I didn't want to use excessive force.

A word of caution, the tip of the head later was slightly bent on mine in the box and as there is a panel line there, it looks like it would be easy to break off the tip. And there is no spare head laser in the box. The instruction manual even warns you to be careful with the head laser.

14 hours ago, treatment said:

It's only ithe Movie version that has that scene.  The OVA does not have it.

Here's the BD snapshot of the same scene as your tv-shot,

The nice heat-haze effect they reproduced makes the video quality a bit soft, tho.

Here is the best I can take from that scene...

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 17.14.56.png

4 hours ago, m0n5t3r said:

Lol. I was gonna ask what people here would do in this situation as soon as they got home:

1. Eat supper

2. Shower

3. Play with brand new toy

I guess the answer is to not piss off the wifey after buying another expensive toy. :lol:

I swear, this hobby can seem like a drug addiction sometimes :spiteful:

If there's a new toy on my doorstep, nothing else is getting done until it's transformed and on display.  Gotta get my fix first... yes, very much like a drug and just as expensive it seems.  And my wife is going to be pissed...

Speaking of, thank you @Robin-11 for letting us know about the AE stock.  Although I just picked up an old Yamato full set for the same price after seeing the instructions posted, the mess that Bandai made of this, and decided against getting it... I must have had a mental breakdown this morning and couldn't resist.  I think I'll compare the 2 and sell the one I don't want... or (more likely) this will make 3 YF-21s for me.

14 hours ago, MKT said:

Great to hear. I hope HLJ charges me soon too, whilst the exchange rate is still nice for the day.

Check your hlj-account.

Mine got charged/pw-ed about 5pm JST:

6550y for DHL to US is relatively steep since no HLJ shipping-discounts this time.

Expecting delivery early next week (Monday/Tuesday).

Hopefully this Saturday the soonest...

edit/update: SHIPPED!

image.png.1ac68c9c24993e8eaaf64d5673851780.png

Edited by treatment

4 hours ago, m0n5t3r said:

-Snipe-

I guess the answer is to not piss off the wifey after buying another expensive toy. :lol:

I swear, this hobby can seem like a drug addiction sometimes :spiteful:

s1madaf8otzc1.png.webp

These two companies together can really ruin you're bank account!

Edited by grogall

10 minutes ago, Pontus said:

If there's a new toy on my doorstep, nothing else is getting done until it's transformed and on display.  Gotta get my fix first... yes, very much like a drug and just as expensive it seems.  And my wife is going to be pissed...

Speaking of, thank you @Robin-11 for letting us know about the AE stock.  Although I just picked up an old Yamato full set for the same price after seeing the instructions posted, the mess that Bandai made of this, and decided against getting it... I must have had a mental breakdown this morning and couldn't resist.  I think I'll compare the 2 and sell the one I don't want... or (more likely) this will make 3 YF-21s for me.

You are very welcome, although i have to say i share your same feeling. I did feel the impulse to buy another  Yamato after seeing the pics of yesterday/today. But we are in the same boat since that i will be getting my Bandai from Amazon JP, hopefully pretty soon.

I really hope the lock pin isn't critical for fighter mode. It's the only mode that seems to require it. I might be wrong, but I'm hoping that the legs would be enough to prevent the back of the plane from collapsing in on itself...

at_23_l.jpg.e0d0157998454819a16284027dd3bc81.jpg

I just realized how blessed we are as Transformers fans that we don't have to be blindsided by stuff like this. Whatever happened to 完全変形?

13 minutes ago, oshanmacross said:

Stupid question maybe?
Does the fold booster light up like the yamato?

I'm sure Bandai would have had that in their marketing materials but just wanna confirm.

Bandai's fold-booster from their YF-19 DX full-set does not light up like Yamato's.

Funny, I think it's not actually looking terrible in fighter mode in those pics, so long as you angle the camera to hide that redonkulous back end.  I don't think Bandai's photographers were doing it any favors with the focal lengths making the nose look shorter than it actually is.  Still looks a bit short, but not as bad as it initially seemed.

I still think the entire thing would be massively improved if the lower arms were beefed up and lengthened.  Would pretty much improve every mode in fact, since the arms still look stupidly whimpy in battroid, and the tails look yanked up too far forward in fighter.  Just lengthen the lower arms for instant improvement.  It even looks like there's room for it, under those stupid side panels.

13 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I still think the entire thing would be massively improved if the lower arms were beefed up and lengthened.  Would pretty much improve every mode in fact, since the arms still look stupidly whimpy in battroid, and the tails look yanked up too far forward in fighter.  Just lengthen the lower arms for instant improvement.  It even looks like there's room for it, under those stupid side panels.

Someone correct me if my memory is failing me, but didn’t the Yamato have the lowers arms extend down to cover the hands and extend the length a bit for fighter mode?

Then for battroid, it gets pushed up, exposing the hands and shortening the arm length?

Just now, 505thAirborne said:

00FFB78C-2082-472C-BD58-5212436B6640.jpeg.9cefc1acf5a14c650a5c88f394c9c908.jpeg

What's up with the rear landing gear? Those wheels/tires are facing inwards, not outwards, not transformed correctly? 

Is a thing among reviewers. It is like they don't know about what they are reviewing or at less care to look at the instructions. 

They just pop out the things out of the box and call it done.

38 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

00FFB78C-2082-472C-BD58-5212436B6640.jpeg.9cefc1acf5a14c650a5c88f394c9c908.jpeg

What's up with the rear landing gear? Those wheels/tires are facing inwards, not outwards, not transformed correctly? 

21 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Yeah, seriously. I hope they can rotate outwards.

Yup the wheels mis-transformed. They are supposed to rotate 180. 

5228ECC7-FE2D-474D-95F3-40DD31484E6B.jpeg.0194bffa36da41c250c2ff660949ec31.jpeg

Coincidentally, rotating stuff 180 seems to be the theme of this valk lol.

5 minutes ago, Froy said:

Is a thing among reviewers. It is like they don't know about what they are reviewing or at less care to look at the instructions. 

They just pop out the things out of the box and call it done.

It's the pressure to get things online ASAP to grab the biggest audience. 

41 minutes ago, Mog said:

Someone correct me if my memory is failing me, but didn’t the Yamato have the lowers arms extend down to cover the hands and extend the length a bit for fighter mode?

Then for battroid, it gets pushed up, exposing the hands and shortening the arm length?

It does. But not to cover the hands. To expose the arm gun in Battroid. But the length extension is not as much since the arm gun is just short.

Arm at 9:00.

The front 3/4 views of both the Yamato and the DX looks promising. I never understood why Bandai does not paint their landing gear white. I am concerned about how the fighter is going to be in hand, but it definitely not cause to dump my PO's. If anything, the amount of engineering and detailing seems more evolved than the Yamato...we'll see...

40 minutes ago, wsna said:

The front 3/4 views of both the Yamato and the DX looks promising. I never understood why Bandai does not paint their landing gear white. I am concerned about how the fighter is going to be in hand, but it definitely not cause to dump my PO's. If anything, the amount of engineering and detailing seems more evolved than the Yamato...we'll see...

Bandai has never had any trouble at all completely over-engineering everything they touch, to their detriment.  If they're relying on removable pins to keep the stupid thing from falling apart, this is just an astounding next-level of design failure.

I'm genuinely curious now.  Does this DX actually have more removable parts than the parts-swapping HG kit?

The kit detaches and reattaches a lot of things, but I think it mostly uses the same parts for all modes, apart from the nose section.

Edited by Chronocidal

8 hours ago, treatment said:

Bandai's fold-booster from their YF-19 DX full-set does not light up like Yamato's.

Oh, now I get it!
For some reason when this was first announced I must have read it wrong, or maybe it was bad translation.
They TOTALLY could have thrown an extra fold booster in there...

Screenshot 2024-06-27 172216.png

Edited by oshanmacross

43 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Uh.. YEAH.. NO, Bandai.  Stop lying.

ss(2024-06-27at05_39.18).jpg.6a8df943c6bafbbf4cf67c3931a06cb9.jpg

:lol::lol:

100% guarantee bandai planning to rob us and put out a package for the yf-19 weapons and a fold booster for both 19/21 with some yf-21 exclusive incentive.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

11 hours ago, enphily said:

fighter and gerwalk review from hobby watch

https://hobby.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/1601938.html

That locking pin thing sounds like something that could absolutely be engineered out. Thematically it’s like using a rubber band to hold a box & lid together.

It’s probably the most un-Macross transformation step in Macross toy history.

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

There we go, HLJ finally getting one of my pre-ordered YF-21s in the warehouse.

Still waiting on the HG kit. :p 

But yeah, that exchange rate. $227.  I think that's less than I paid for the Yamato. :lol: 

They do treat their customers right..
I was doin the Hachette Yamato Subsription service build through them, missed a few preorders because of "Life".
Excelllent customer service.
Shipping rates did go up post pandemic...

Yeah, my shipping for this is going to be massive anyhow, since I'm packing it in with a whole pile of other things I've been waiting on.

I was HOPING the HG YF-21 would make it (along with a couple of other kits that were on backorder), but I'm done waiting on that one.  Maybe I'll get it once more things come in.

This though?  Really hurts my brain.

ss(2024-06-27at09_00.09).png.70b067cd227e80ef42c4d08a2488e59d.png

:blink:

Edited by Chronocidal

I had a Fedex shipment and they zapped me with $40 customs fee in the US....EMS and others don't get you, so even if another courier is more expensive, it might be worth it.
Its happened to me 2x...your mileage may vary though, so good luck