Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

thanks for the manual @borgified :) which is translated..yay!
I think I have like a 20MB per post upload limit or something so the pics got pixelated. I'll see how to adjust in the future.

For the upcoming releases...like the VT1 and Chogokin, you can find the full resolution downloads here

https://tamashiiweb.com/torisetsu/

The YF-21-full res

https://tamashiiweb.com/images/item/item_0000014740_w7QKx4K3_300.pdf

10 hours ago, Actar said:

I'm seeing stuff like backpack lock pins and battroid joint parts and that doesn't bode well...

I mean... I could stomach all the other inaccuracies and proportion issues, but I was at least expecting to be able to transform it without having to keep parts off to the side. I assume it's going to be all loose and floppy without them?

When was the last time we had an external brace/joint? The YF-30?

9 hours ago, Mog said:

I’m despising that fat bellyplate that becomes part of the backpack even more.

Such a garbage design choice.

Looking at Bandai’s transformation process makes me appreciate Yamato’s design even more.  It’s not exactly perfect and can be frustrating at times.  But the design choices were simple but effective.

4 hours ago, PointBlankSniper said:

WTF DID I JUST SEE...

Everthing seems like a hackjob fix to work around a preceeding odd design choice that was required by another strange design choice before it. Here's how I think it went down:

For starters, we are all forgetting the high maneuver (HM) mode takes 3 large partsforming chunks to create. The side covers for it are a necessity because for w/e reason, the half of the belly plates stuck to the backpack and collapse to take up room instead of being removed with the rest of the belly plate, making the HM plate sit very far, causing a gap. The HM plate exists to cover the backpack latches instead of literally being a molded detail around those latches because of the sheer number and size of mechanisms invovled. The need for all those mechanisms is because backpack proportions make it unable to support its weight. Backpack is so heavy because of carrying those half belly plates, extra length for the swivel feet stubs, and having the extra depth required to house the legs that aren't turned inwards to lay on their thinner side, because who knows why.

Backpack seems to hang far in order for latches to sit behind crotch block. Crotch block is a certain length accomodate swing bar spacing while needing to be strong enough to be a detachable part. It's detachable in order to share a connection socket with the HM plate. Because of the length of the crotch block, the collar plate is now just as long as to push the latches and hinges out of the crotch block's way. That forces the backpack to hang far. Since backpack hangs far, we now have a detachable brace to hold it up. With the amount of mechanisms they've already resorted to, why the backpack brace isn't made of integrated swing out parts like the revival frontier valks is a mystery... 

Bonus: For w/e reason, the locking pin is not captive. I'm not sure if pages were just missed or im blind, but I don't think it mentioned landing gears either.

Absolutely design choices are mind blowing... to the point of being kind of amusing. I think the designers might be sociopaths lol.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Given some of the changes they made, I don't think they gave a flying crap about any line art from anything. <_< 

My brain is waffling back and forth over what fraction of ass this effort can be considered.  Kinda feels like the "contractual obligation album" of Macross DX releases.

On the plus side.. maybe the prices will tank like the Sv-262, and I'll be able to pick up a spare for my brother on the cheap.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

"Just dazzle them with a ton of tampo printing and they won't notice all the weird design choices we made."

-Bandai manager, probably

This is why General Galaxy lost funding to the 19, they were all bandai engineers

Nah, combining two very different design traditions in the VF-1 and Q-Rau and making something that meshes beautifully together?

Sure doesn’t sound like Bandai engineers! :p

. . . At least the ones that designed this rendition.

11 hours ago, borgified said:

Manual scans of the booklet has been posted .

Disclaimer: Apologies for the crazy long upload and space hogging here. 

img-171937118869545fa1110a931b1078046084a2c41ba2d127e52995185ac713b43e44e830699a9.jpgimg-17193711978299672eac6e029fd6e18745e2dc6531a57b585e72080e74d702809cafb9d2f3c17.jpgimg-17193711997509caa8068d1276e1f0d7fb889acdb381a445ecf4e1c38d007e326e4e1f2a80726.jpgimg-1719371210206142373ff056a8537077b48b0b3224bae16f5314a7309ee4067ea8e6db27c57c4.jpgimg-1719371216435dcd546a93a8556bd397b36e16a93d4c33034d1c01480f7670a7d72961f83e0f0.jpgimg-1719371214297c6beac5a8f91173689b2fc2e53b1219ffa6ceb11be3ccd13d9c4e07a4fa805d4.jpgimg-1719371218422b9ad7dc0104221804c48bd1aa09d7e6f8486b0e504bdcdd2f5bf0fdb29cfabac.jpgimg-1719371220576efbd7a15442d421c429903b92c5fb495490ba053cac7fc370b33dcd0fabe9211.jpgimg-171937122308267d8fb41a60acf158ea57988527008242a075b05c1e654cd509c53e4858beeeb.jpg

Seems Bandai had made their YF-21 DX to be "Macross Plus...Parts" toy...

Better not lose that lock pin and stuff...

:bump:

Edited by treatment

yes there are all sorts of Macross Plus...Parts to potentially lose or fall off, including the little folder booster attachment covers
will need to buy a patch of white carpet anytime I transform the thing to make sure I nothing falls off

image.png.de20f5d96a53cfa37c1b934ee58cb9fc.png

Another part to remove and possibly lose lol
In a couple years the 2nd hand market is going to be crazy with trying to track all the parts that might not be included.

It all looks incredible complex, I love it, but I also fear it a little.

image.png.9db28f75463866b8accc323143db7ea7.png

2 hours ago, Actar said:

That ankle rotation has to be a ratchet joint... right? Right?

Haha I do hope the rotation mechanism is beyond just a ball joint, but it does look like just a simple ball joint. 

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I did NOT know, or at least not remember, that the YF-21 had an air brake...cool

image.png.86c9a11c6afd0e9a0e22eeef871a1ae1.png

This does look pretty cool, and the brakes actually have a strut to hold it this time. 

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

I did NOT know, or at least not remember, that the YF-21 had an air brake...cool

image.png.86c9a11c6afd0e9a0e22eeef871a1ae1.png

I had to go peek at my disc to make sure I remembered correctly, and yep, here it is.  Don't know if it shows up in the first episode, but it's at about 4:30 into the movie edition.

ss(2024-06-26at12_50.07).jpg.0e5bc3ba27d00c5cb0cd7f0d3873ccf4.jpg

And yes, that's a photo of my monitor, because bluray software is absolutely infuriating in how it just completely blocks out any screenshots.

Bandai should have included literal rubber flappy extensions you could add to the wing tips to replicate the wing warping   :)
ooooh...how about a wire inside, that runs on a little motor that would twist the wings like in the OVAs
million dollar idea for a cool display

image.png.4f8ed9ffe56d8d2d12a0a687fe3241d5.png

Inflation, the weak yen, or the greater number of parts and engineering? It’s not that expensive in Japan.

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

yes there are all sorts of Macross Plus...Parts to potentially lose or fall off, including the little folder booster attachment covers
will need to buy a patch of white carpet anytime I transform the thing to make sure I nothing falls off

:lol:

27 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Inflation, the weak yen, or the greater number of parts and engineering? It’s not that expensive in Japan.

Part of me suspects Bandai is unwilling to raise domestic prices at all to spread the costs of the international releases across production, so the international releases are probably covering that entire expense category.

6 hours ago, Mog said:

Nah, combining two very different design traditions in the VF-1 and Q-Rau and making something that meshes beautifully together?

Sure doesn’t sound like Bandai engineers! :p

. . . At least the ones that designed this rendition.

I'm still curiously excited to have it in my hands even though i know it may go the way of the SV-252 which just sits in a dark corner bc it is not fun to handle/transform.

2 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I'm still curiously excited to have it in my hands even though i know it may go the way of the SV-252 which just sits in a dark corner bc it is not fun to handle/transform.

The painfully funny thing to me is that the delimiter mode actually looks like the most aesthetically pleasing display option, because it sheds a good chunk of the ugly garbage. :p 

I just need to find a way to attach the legs to my Yamato, and I'll be all set.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I had to go peek at my disc to make sure I remembered correctly, and yep, here it is.  Don't know if it shows up in the first episode, but it's at about 4:30 into the movie edition.

ss(2024-06-26at12_50.07).jpg.0e5bc3ba27d00c5cb0cd7f0d3873ccf4.jpg

And yes, that's a photo of my monitor, because bluray software is absolutely infuriating in how it just completely blocks out any screenshots.

It's only ithe Movie version that has that scene.  The OVA does not have it.

Here's the BD snapshot of the same scene as your tv-shot,

The nice heat-haze effect they reproduced makes the video quality a bit soft, tho.

snap-00003.png

Interesting, Anime Export just pinged me that my YF-21 order with them is in.

Probably going to wait to ship that one with the VT-1 and HMR Fire Valk in August though, since my other is at HLJ, and they've been pestering me to ship my warehouse orders for months (and yet they STILL cannot get the HG YF-21 in stock :rolleyes:).

14 hours ago, Shawn said:

Another part to remove and possibly lose lol
In a couple years the 2nd hand market is going to be crazy with trying to track all the parts that might not be included.

It all looks incredible complex, I love it, but I also fear it a little.

image.png.9db28f75463866b8accc323143db7ea7.png

My biggest question at this point is how vital all these extraneous pieces are. Will it be just slightly more fiddly/wobbly? Or will the damn thing struggle to stay together without them?

18 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Given some of the changes they made, I don't think they gave a flying crap about any line art from anything. <_< 

My brain is waffling back and forth over what fraction of ass this effort can be considered.  Kinda feels like the "contractual obligation album" of Macross DX releases.

On the plus side.. maybe the prices will tank like the Sv-262, and I'll be able to pick up a spare for my brother on the cheap.

Well its something we have to deal with given that most of the designers were from the gundam team. Making it seamless and pleasing in all 3 modes with taking consideration line art accuracy is the least of their pirorities

And I'm not home yet, won't have chance to actually handle it for several hours or maybe even until tomorrow or the weekend, depending on what chores the wife gives me. 😅

I just quickly opened it now to snap a few pics. 

So, don't necessarily expect quick first impressions. 😂

9 minutes ago, Graham said:

And I'm not home yet, won't have chance to actually handle it for several hours or maybe even until tomorrow or the weekend, depending on what chores the wife gives me. 😅

I just quickly opened it now to snap a few pics. 

So, don't necessarily expect quick first impressions. 😂

Lol. I was gonna ask what people here would do in this situation as soon as they got home:

1. Eat supper

2. Shower

3. Play with brand new toy

I guess the answer is to not piss off the wifey after buying another expensive toy. :lol:

I swear, this hobby can seem like a drug addiction sometimes :spiteful:

Edited by m0n5t3r

28 minutes ago, Froy said:

Yay!

HLJ just grabbed my money.

Mine is already in private warehouse.

Great to hear. I hope HLJ charges me soon too, whilst the exchange rate is still nice for the day.

Ive had a change of mind and want to see reviews first. I had the Yamato 19 and 21 and loved them. I had the Bandai 19 Advanced and hated it. Seeing this 21 instructional booklet is giving me those 19 Advanced vibes.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01