Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

I hate that the parts that rankle me the most are the stupid changes Bandai made for absolutely no other reason than "We like this better than the official line art."

It's stuff that's completely and utterly inconsequential to the design, and how it functions.. but they decided they wanted to change it anyway.

(Yes, I'm still salty about the misshapen canopy and tails, among other things.  The tails especially bother me, because an early prototype had them correct, and they changed them to be wrong. :p)

Considering how thick this thing is, you'd think Bandai could figure out a way to shave off a millimeter or two so the gunpods would have enough ground clearance. But nope, let's just go with parts swapping!

Bandai is already throwing in a huuuuge plastic plate as a gimmick for delimiter mode and given how complex and near impossible all 3 modes looking YF-21 is to achieve 2 more plastic bit are OK. I'm happy with what we are getting since mine is to be displayed for ever in Battroid mode. My Yamato one has been sitting in fighter mode for years.

Edited by Froy

I wouldn't be surprised if the stand adapter is used to lock the back plate and the torso together. Much like with the Hi Metal VF-2SS

Screenshot_20240624-1803422.png.9d3a561da7ca4e4ff2bf3d8bdbf8254f.png

6 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Fighter is still the worst looking mode. Major mental lapse not incorporating the adjustable nose of the Yamato.

Edited by m0n5t3r

10 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That's why Bandai reissued the YF-19 Full Set Pack! They even kept the price the same!

Oh? Did the reissued yf-19 full set still have the vertical fin problem? 

11 minutes ago, IIymij said:

Oh? Did the reissued yf-19 full set still have the vertical fin problem? 

no popping vertical stabilizer on the reissue as Bandai went back to the vf-19 advance fin design with the spring pin going through it.

Edited by Angesdad

2 hours ago, Angesdad said:

no popping vertical stabilizer on the reissue as Bandai went back to the vf-19 advance fin design with the spring pin going through it.

Wait, the VF-19 Advance tails are pinned?  I thought they were just a much better snap than the YF-19 got?

Looking at mine, I don't see any way to get a pin in there, the tails are solid plastic..  They don't want to pop off though, so I'm not going to force them to check.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Wait, the VF-19 Advance tails are pinned?  I thought they were just a much better snap than the YF-19 got?

Looking at mine, I don't see any way to get a pin in there, the tails are solid plastic..  They don't want to pop off though, so I'm not going to force them to check.

I could be wrong as it's not something I've verified it in person (my reissue hasn't seen the light) but somewhere along the way I picked that up and it made sense to me.:unknw:  

Reissue isn't a full set. There is no fold drive in it. Lolicon was being sarcastic with the price and all.

From what I could see in photos, the full set had a random cutout section between the edge hinges, which probably let it flex and eject. YF Reissue has no cutout just like the VF. I don't think there was ever any pins. It's all just a peg captured in a small hole, or something like that, unless I'm misrembering and it was only the orange flap that popped out for me.

So, a separate brace is needed to stabilize that huge backpack against the lower back in Battroid. So far, there are 3 partsforming bits:

1. The backpack brace mentioned.

2. The cockpit canopy & pilot seat.

3. The guns. 

4. Backpack lock-pin.

On side note, I'm also quite surprised the fixed posed hands are the same size as the transformable ones lol. We so used to fixed posed ones being bigger.

Edited by MKT
Added #4.

I'm seeing stuff like backpack lock pins and battroid joint parts and that doesn't bode well...

Untitled2.png.4bd84d2eb4f554dacabaab4070050b6a.png

img-1719371210206142373ff056a8537077b48b0b3224bae16f5314a7309ee4067ea8e6db27c57c4.jpg.11aa15ff20a241f7c116bf55e21d02af.jpg

I mean... I could stomach all the other inaccuracies and proportion issues, but I was at least expecting to be able to transform it without having to keep parts off to the side. I assume it's going to be all loose and floppy without them?

When was the last time we had an external brace/joint? The YF-30?

Edited by Actar

I’m despising that fat bellyplate that becomes part of the backpack even more.

Such a garbage design choice.

Looking at Bandai’s transformation process makes me appreciate Yamato’s design even more.  It’s not exactly perfect and can be frustrating at times.  But the design choices were simple but effective.

44 minutes ago, Actar said:

I'm seeing stuff like backpack lock pins and battroid joint parts and that doesn't bode well...

img-1719371210206142373ff056a8537077b48b0b3224bae16f5314a7309ee4067ea8e6db27c57c4.jpg.11aa15ff20a241f7c116bf55e21d02af.jpg

I mean... I could stomach all the other inaccuracies and proportion issues, but I was at least expecting to be able to transform it without having to keep parts off to the side. I assume it's going to be all loose and floppy without them?

That lock-pin is also another surprising bit. This is turning into more HMR than a Chogokin lol.

Also, I hope those nozzle flaps stay on securely once installed, otherwise we gonna see quite a few ones with missing flaps down the road.

Meanwhile, the packaging:

593BAF35-4D3E-4180-B38D-A17282BD4005.jpeg.92be2ad358cf4c8ea20b1bb04815718d.jpeg

I believe that @jenius will have the Yammie 1/60 YF-21 or VF-22s to be compared with the DX YF-21 on a future review when you have time? I seriously want to see both of them in Pengriod mode! 😄 

1 hour ago, m0n5t3r said:

I'm curious who decided to leave a big chunk of the bellyplates on the backpack... didn't they refer to the lineart or the OVAs?

If I had to guess... they wanted them to be more aesthetically pleasing, to match the YF-19's wing length, to differentiate themselves from Yamato, or to reduce their weight to place less stress on the joints.

I'm okay with the look, but both lock pin and backpack connector do look to be a direct result of it.

24 minutes ago, Actar said:

If I had to guess... they wanted them to be more aesthetically pleasing, to match the YF-19's wing length, to differentiate themselves from Yamato, or to reduce their weight to place less stress on the joints.

I'm okay with the look, but both lock pin and backpack connector do look to be a direct result of it.

For the backpack maybe, but the Battroid legs look so much better with the much longer bellyplate FPs on (it looks like it's wearing a trenchcoat or something) and even the overall look of GERWALK mode benefits from the longer FPs.

I really hope nobody loses those pins, connectors or flaps.

Edited by m0n5t3r

On 6/25/2024 at 8:06 AM, Froy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the stand adapter is used to lock the back plate and the torso together. Much like with the Hi Metal VF-2SS

Well, you called it. Still flabbergasted and reeling from the fact that they couldn't engineer a flip-out peg or clip like on the Yamato.

IMG_20240626_202350.jpg.3ce873922065ae3e10ec258f47ca90f6.jpg

At least it looks like the legs can be lowered if so desired.

Edited by Actar

WTF DID I JUST SEE...

Everthing seems like a hackjob fix to work around a preceeding odd design choice that was required by another strange design choice before it. Here's how I think it went down:

For starters, we are all forgetting the high maneuver (HM) mode takes 3 large partsforming chunks to create. The side covers for it are a necessity because for w/e reason, the half of the belly plates stuck to the backpack and collapse to take up room instead of being removed with the rest of the belly plate, making the HM plate sit very far, causing a gap. The HM plate exists to cover the backpack latches instead of literally being a molded detail around those latches because of the sheer number and size of mechanisms invovled. The need for all those mechanisms is because backpack proportions make it unable to support its weight. Backpack is so heavy because of carrying those half belly plates, extra length for the swivel feet stubs, and having the extra depth required to house the legs that aren't turned inwards to lay on their thinner side, because who knows why.

Backpack seems to hang far in order for latches to sit behind crotch block. Crotch block is a certain length accomodate swing bar spacing while needing to be strong enough to be a detachable part. It's detachable in order to share a connection socket with the HM plate. Because of the length of the crotch block, the collar plate is now just as long as to push the latches and hinges out of the crotch block's way. That forces the backpack to hang far. Since backpack hangs far, we now have a detachable brace to hold it up. With the amount of mechanisms they've already resorted to, why the backpack brace isn't made of integrated swing out parts like the revival frontier valks is a mystery... 

Bonus: For w/e reason, the locking pin is not captive. I'm not sure if pages were just missed or im blind, but I don't think it mentioned landing gears either.

Absolutely design choices are mind blowing... to the point of being kind of amusing. I think the designers might be sociopaths lol.

7 hours ago, m0n5t3r said:

I'm curious who decided to leave a big chunk of the bellyplates on the backpack... didn't they refer to the lineart or the OVAs?

Given some of the changes they made, I don't think they gave a flying crap about any line art from anything. <_< 

My brain is waffling back and forth over what fraction of ass this effort can be considered.  Kinda feels like the "contractual obligation album" of Macross DX releases.

On the plus side.. maybe the prices will tank like the Sv-262, and I'll be able to pick up a spare for my brother on the cheap.

Edited by Chronocidal

Well, guess I'm still not regretting getting a couple Yamato 21s.

I do like the new legs on Bandai much more, and hopefully this should pose much better (the Yamato is a floppy spindly mess when it comes to posing)

Even with the beefier legs, it may not stand up much against that massive backpack for dynamic poses, as the feet is still relatively small compared to other valks. 

The whole ankle also has to rotate 180 degrees for transformation, and I just hope that joint won't easily become loose after couple transformations. I feel a lot is riding on that ankle & feet design, so am cautiously optimistic Bandai has engineered robustness into that.

38 minutes ago, MKT said:

Even with the beefier legs, it may not stand up much against that massive backpack for dynamic poses, as the feet is still relatively small compared to other valks. 

The whole ankle also has to rotate 180 degrees for transformation, and I just hope that joint won't easily become loose after couple transformations. I feel a lot is riding on that ankle & feet design, so am cautiously optimistic Bandai has engineered robustness into that.

That ankle rotation has to be a ratchet joint... right? Right?

10 hours ago, Actar said:

Wait... so that clip is not something that is flip out and is actually a separate piece? wtf... I hope it's not actually necessary.

As far as the YF-30 goes, that brace at least seemed to be optional. I never needed it for my YF-30.