Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

44 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

So I originally bought two YF-21s from Japan. One arrived intact, the other with a broken head laser.

Since Bandai considers it a "quality variance" and refuses to provide any support to replace this one piece (it would be pretty easy to just mail some replacement head lasers out), I went and bought one off Amazon US.

The first unit I got from Amazon had a broken head laser too. I immediately exchanged it for a replacement. The replacement unit had an intact laser. So I am sending the broken unit I originally got from Japan in its place and getting a full refund.

This is the kind of crap I have to resort to for a simple fix on a pretty expensive toy because Bandai ultimately is a shitty & anti-consumer company.

2 out of 4 units arrived broken. A 50% failure rate is absolutely unacceptable in any product line. (Yes I know this is a tiny sample size but this is a widespread issue and I would not be surprised if the real failure rate is actually pretty close to 50%.)

So you received a unit with a Bluefin sticker from Amazon, and you're sending them back one without?

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

So I originally bought two YF-21s from Japan. One arrived intact, the other with a broken head laser.

Since Bandai considers it a "quality variance" and refuses to provide any support to replace this one piece (it would be pretty easy to just mail some replacement head lasers out), I went and bought one off Amazon US.

The first unit I got from Amazon had a broken head laser too. I immediately exchanged it for a replacement. The replacement unit had an intact laser. So I am sending the broken unit I originally got from Japan in its place and getting a full refund.

This is the kind of crap I have to resort to for a simple fix on a pretty expensive toy because Bandai ultimately is a shitty & anti-consumer company.

2 out of 4 units arrived broken. A 50% failure rate is absolutely unacceptable in any product line. (Yes I know this is a tiny sample size but this is a widespread issue and I would not be surprised if the real failure rate is actually pretty close to 50%.)

Lol, F them coz they basically said F off to you first, right... and let the two billionaire companies sort it out themselves. That's just chump change to them after all. :ph34r:

Edited by m0n5t3r

32 minutes ago, m0n5t3r said:

Lol, F them coz they basically said F off to you first, right... and let the two billionaire companies sort it out themselves. That's just chump change to them after all. :ph34r:

Absolutely. If I accidentally dropped a penny down a sewer grate, that would be a bigger financial loss to me than this is to them.

1 hour ago, MikeRoz said:

So you received a unit with a Bluefin sticker from Amazon, and you're sending them back one without?

30 minutes ago, m0n5t3r said:

Nah, just swap the good head laser with the broken one. ;)

Yeah they're getting their Bluefin sticker back. :crazy:

The fun part is when amazon sells both of those bendy units to the next customer as new. This is apparently not uncommon with stuff like graphic cards, where people swap in lower models, only to be caught by the next customer, because they don't insepct returns and ship them out as new stock.

While I don't condone sneakily offloading problems to someone else, both those corportate giants deserve their bad rap out of this lol

I ended up fixing the bent fin myself, do be careful with the amount of time and heat you apply to the fin because it tends to curl up in different places that you don’t want.😂 I filed and sanded a bit to fix the wonky curvature, after a coat of top coat it was good enough for me to ignore it and keep the toy.

Edited by Angesdad

On 10/14/2024 at 5:04 PM, locidm said:

Has anybody gotten replacement parts from Bluefin yet? It's been two months and absolute silence on my front.

Got this email from Bluefin about an hour ago (edit: well, mobile deciding to play weird and not let me quote tag):

------

Hello kajnrig,

Thank you for your continued patience with this process.

We are happy to inform you that your request has been approved by the manufacturer to fulfill.

We anticipate that this replacement part will arrive and ship out within the next month. Once again, thank you very much for your patience and understanding.

Thank you,

BNTCA Customer Service

Edited by kajnrig

Someone mark this down as a first in history: Bandai actually theoretically responding to a replacement part request! :p 

Well, a first for Macross DX releases, anyhow.  I have no idea what their track record for any of their other franchises is like, but given the mentality they seem to follow (essentially a minimalist approach involving as little spare inventory as possible), I'd be surprised if anything else was different.

Kind of incredible that it takes a failure of this magnitude before they actually give anything like what should be considered a reasonable response.

Edited by Chronocidal

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Someone mark this down as a first in history: Bandai actually theoretically responding to a replacement part request! :p 

Well, a first for Macross DX releases, anyhow.  I have no idea what their track record for any of their other franchises is like, but given the mentality they seem to follow (essentially a minimalist approach involving as little spare inventory as possible), I'd be surprised if anything else was different.

Kind of incredible that it takes a failure of this magnitude before they actually give anything like what should be considered a reasonable response.

That's not entirely fair. To their credit, they recently do seem to have been RMAing or sending replacements directly to individuals in Japan. Both for this and the new 31J revival.

It just seems like relailers or maybe even just exporters get second priority. It may still be due to minimal spares.

In the case of gunpla, I think they used to even come with little order forms for you to buy spare parts in Japan, so I think there is inventory for replacements. At some point, Bluefin stated doing it for them in NA on and off. IDK if that service is still available now. Long ago, before that was a thing, I even emailed them from overseas and gotten replacements for free before. It was over some long months of correspondence, because they seem to only answer my emails quarterly. But due to some miscommunication, I didn't get everything I needed, and then they stopped responding after that lmao.

Just now, PointBlankSniper said:

That's not entirely fair. To their credit, they recently do seem to have been RMAing or sending replacements directly to individuals in Japan. Both for this and the new 31J revival.

It just seems like relailers or maybe even just exporters get second priority. It may still be due to minimal spares.

In the case of gunpla, I think they used to even come with little order forms for you to buy spare parts in Japan, so I think there is inventory for replacements. At some point, Bluefin stated doing it for them in NA on and off. IDK if that service is still available now. Long ago, before that was a thing, I even emailed them from overseas and gotten replacements for free before. It was over some long months of correspondence, because they seem to only answer my emails quarterly. But due to some miscommunication, I didn't get everything I needed, and then they stopped responding after that lmao.

Yeah, I'm being at least partly sarcastic about it, but in my personal experience with every request I made for a replacement of anything broken or missing from any of the DX releases I've ordered going back to the VF-25, every single request was either outright denied, or I was told to send the entire item back at my own expense.

My VF-25G Michael came missing his crotch plate, and I was basically turned down flat for any help.  Bandai was just completely unwilling (or unable) to send me that missing part, and the best I've ever gotten until now was the vendor telling me to send them back the whole item for a replacement.  Given how insane the demand has been for pretty much every DX release, I never saw that as a viable option, because I was not going to bet on there ever being any stock available to even exchange it for.

That VF-25 purchase was the point where I started ordering two of everything, just to ensure better odds of getting at least one whole item.  Even in the case of something like the VF-171s, that gave me pretty good odds of at least being able to combine two broken ones into one whole one. :p