Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

but I'm definitely interested in seeing where the prices go.  If they take a plunge after the release hits the US like the Max YF-29 did, I might pick up an extra

Same here. And, at this point, I'm expecting a renewal version. Or it completely disappears from the line up and we never see a Yf/VF-21/22 again. 

Cheers @jenius for a great series of reviews and show-n-tell vids on the DX YF-21, and on Macross toys in general over the decades.  Always super helpful and greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Damaged head lasers aside, the other things that really annoy me about the Bandai DX YF-21 and spoil my enjoyment of the toy are:

1. The too short nose in fighter mode.
  2.  Excessive and IMO ugly tampo printing, especially all those additional stripes that were never in the anime or line art. They just really bug me for some reason.
  3. Incorrect front of canopy sculpt, it's missing that V cut out from the line art.
  4. The huge shelf behind the head in battroid mode.
  5. The silly removable clip.
  6. the crap quality of the FAST packs.

Honestly, due to the craptastic and capricious nature of Kawamori's original lineart, the fighter proportions don't bother me as much. I honestly prefer the forward fuselage be a bit smaller to favor battroid, my preferred mode for display. Granted, Yamato found a good fix years ago and Bandai could have shamelessly copied it; I doubt anyone would have faulted them and it would have given the bird an appropriately longer nose section. Alas, no. I like the copious tampo, especially in contrast to Yamato's YF-19 which didn't even have the intake markings. The lack of the canopy V-cut is lamentable but I can live with it. The shelf and the methodology of handling the backpack is another matter entirely; on a high-end toy commanding a $300+ tag, and with a decade+ old toy available to use as a framework for what works, Bandai made inexplicably poor choices that fall short or far short of what Yamato accomplished with their version in terms of engineering, accuracy, care and diligence. For the price, especially in terms of what we're getting from third party companies making Transformers these days at similar or lesser price points, the DX YF-21 feels like a half-hearted effort. However, as a battroid fan, it definitely addressed my primary gripe with the Yammie, those skinny legs and wobbly hips. Proportionally, the DX looks really good in battroid, and as Jenius pointed out, it has apropos stability allowing for posing. Mostly though, from most angles, it just looks really good to me and the fact that it'll stand on its own makes me anticipate my copy. I hope I won't suffer the bent laser, but time will tell. It's a hell of a bitter pill to swallow for those who have suffered it, and other flaws, on an expensive new release. I hope Bandai ultimately does right by their consumers.

Edited by M'Kyuun

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Same here. And, at this point, I'm expecting a renewal version. Or it completely disappears from the line up and we never see a Yf/VF-21/22 again. 

I think a renewal version is highly dubious; they had five or so years to tweak and massage the various kinks out of this toy and yet they seemingly did little to improve it. It's a second fiddle valk toy manifesting any number of departures and odd decisions, especially all the partsforming involved. It smacks of one-and done, just get it out there so we can wipe our hands and move on to something else, like Gundam!

Before watching @jenius's review, I didn't realise there were all these sculpt & design issues with the FP in Fighter mode.

I'm wondering if the FP pieces are supposed to have any markings on them? There's so much tampo on the main valk (not a complaint) but the FP have none, and with the plain grey plastic against the valk, they look little better than plain 3D printed pieces.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

Cheers @jenius for a great series of reviews and show-n-tell vids on the DX YF-21, and on Macross toys in general over the decades.  Always super helpful and greatly appreciated!

Honestly, due to the craptastic and capricious nature of Kawamori's original lineart, the fighter proportions don't bother me as much. I honestly prefer the forward fuselage be a bit smaller to favor battroid, my preferred mode for display. Granted, Yamato found a good fix years ago and Bandai could have shamelessly copied it; I doubt anyone would have faulted them and it would have given the bird an appropriately longer nose section. Alas, no. I like the copious tampo, especially in contrast to Yamato's YF-19 which didn't even have the intake markings. The lack of the canopy V-cut is lamentable but I can live with it. The shelf and the methodology of handling the backpack is another matter entirely; on a high-end toy commanding a $300+ tag, and with a decade+ old toy available to use as a framework for what works, Bandai made inexplicably poor choices that fall short or far short of what Yamato accomplished with their version in terms of engineering, accuracy, care and diligence. For the price, especially in terms of what we're getting from third party companies making Transformers these days at similar or lesser price points, the DX YF-21 feels like a half-hearted effort. However, as a battroid fan, it definitely addressed my primary gripe with the Yammie, those skinny legs and wobbly hips. Proportionally, the DX looks really good in battroid, and as Jenius pointed out, it has apropos stability allowing for posing. Mostly though, from most angles, it just looks really good to me and the fact that it'll stand on its own makes me anticipate my copy. I hope I won't suffer the bent laser, but time will tell. It's a hell of a bitter pill to swallow for those who have suffered it, and other flaws, on an expensive new release. I hope Bandai ultimately does right by their consumers.

I'm primarily a fighter mode guy and my display percentage for my toys is something like 75% in fighter mode, 20% in Battroid mode and 5% in  GERWALK mode,

Tried to rub off some tampo and those god awful stripes with alcohol, but norhing happened!!!

Will try wet sanding, but must figure out the correct sandpaper grit to avoid scratching or polishing the plastic.

6 hours ago, MKT said:

Before watching @jenius's review, I didn't realise there were all these sculpt & design issues with the FP in Fighter mode.

I'm wondering if the FP pieces are supposed to have any markings on them? There's so much tampo on the main valk (not a complaint) but the FP have none, and with the plain grey plastic against the valk, they look little better than plain 3D printed pieces.

As @jenius pointed out, at the very least the belly/hipguard armor is supposed to have those big trapezoid sections filled in in black.

Don’t recall any other markings that are suppose to be there.

I'm a fighter-mode guy.  The shorter nose would be fine if it weren't for the big belly and would be a little reminiscent of a real-life SU-57, which I love.  But if an SU-57 had a big belly, it would throw off the whole look.  The combination of short nose and big belly makes my head go straight to penguin-mode.  Like, every time I look at the thing, I cannot unsee the belly flopping penguin.

Now, if I were a battroid-mode guy, I would appreciate the new pose-ability but the small arms would bother me the same way a lot of people are annoyed by the skinny legs of the Yamato version.  And then there's the whole new addition of a giant hunchback...

17 minutes ago, rematron said:

I'm a fighter-mode guy.  The shorter nose would be fine if it weren't for the big belly and would be a little reminiscent of a real-life SU-57, which I love.  But if an SU-57 had a big belly, it would throw off the whole look.  The combination of short nose and big belly makes my head go straight to penguin-mode.  Like, every time I look at the thing, I cannot unsee the belly flopping penguin.

Now, if I were a battroid-mode guy, I would appreciate the new pose-ability but the small arms would bother me the same way a lot of people are annoyed by the skinny legs of the Yamato version.  And then there's the whole new addition of a giant hunchback...

I'm not quite sure but I think the trend for most fighter design these days is on the more "fleshier" side (I'm looking at you F-35). You're right about the penguin. I think Bandai gave us an entirely new type all together. It's a Pengroid-Fighter. 

If and when (or if they are still around) Arcadia revisits the YF-21, they're a lot of tricks that Bandai uses that could make the Yamato design even better.

We'll see in time, as soon as my wallet heals.

14 hours ago, Graham said:

I'm primarily a fighter mode guy and my display percentage for my toys is something like 75% in fighter mode, 20% in Battroid mode and 5% in  GERWALK mode,

This made me count. I have 68 total (not counting the Ride Armors). 31 are in battroid so 45%, with 37 in fighter or 55%. No gerwalk modes. 

Edited by sjoebarry

3 hours ago, optimuspint said:

Well… got a bent fin.  Messaged BBTS to see whats what.

IMG_0921.jpeg

Oh man, that's inexcusable. I ordered mine through BBTS as well (it's in my Pile of Loot waiting to see if any of my other POs come to save on shipping) and I'm most definitely curious to see how they'll handle this for you in the event I have the same issue. Best of luck!

On 8/18/2024 at 7:28 AM, lmtsuper said:

This piece fell out from the toy when I first transformed it. Does anyone know what this is?

20240817_131031.jpg

you can live without this stuff... I did transform and play with YF21 without backpack lock in battroid and without this pin...
but such stuff prevent backpack from moving so if you plan to set fighter mode on long time display it is better to instal it

On 8/23/2024 at 1:50 PM, M'Kyuun said:

Oh man, that's inexcusable. I ordered mine through BBTS as well (it's in my Pile of Loot waiting to see if any of my other POs come to save on shipping) and I'm most definitely curious to see how they'll handle this for you in the event I have the same issue. Best of luck!

They already shipped a replacement figure.  Hopefully that one is good to go.

On 8/23/2024 at 8:38 PM, Reïvaj said:

Got one from Nin-Nin-Game, perfectly packed and with a straight head laser, lucky me...

20240822_125925.jpg.03008b30738ae379b31ad1932f4a468b.jpg

Now that's a fantastic pic that really shows off how good it looks in battroid!

Unfortunately it doesn't fair so well in fighter. Like others have pointed out, the forward fuselage looks too small connected to its overiszed bulbous body. It's like they stuck the Yamato 1/72 nose on a 1/60 airframe.

• 2 weeks later...

I really didn't want to necro this after weeks of quiet with nothing meaningful to add, but since it's been resurrected anyway, I'll just cry here.

I really don't know what's going on with YYK. After coming back with a good antenna from their photo inspection, it took multiple ways of contacting them for 3 weeks for a reply after I asked for secondary inspections, since I asked for something stupid like open it up to check for double shoulders. When they finally answered, they went above and beyond and actually half transformed the thing more than neccessary because of iffy understanding of the toy and my request. But ultimately, I got to inspect the shoulders and they were fine. I think I've vaguely mentioned this much along the way on this thread.

Since that's been done, I replied to go ahead and ship my order, which includes the 21 and a P-bandai gunpla kit. It's been nearly another 5 weeks since then. I even gave them the benefit of "August holidays in Japan" before I even tried to contact them again for a couple more times in the last two weeks. 

Even a local store has finally got the YF-21 in stock without too ridiculous of a markup. In fact it might even be about the same price or cheaper after accounting for unpredictable shipping fees and import taxes...

I'd hate to escalate things after they've done so much extra work, and get an even more unresponsive mess while potentially losing out on my p-bandai kit or money... I also have my Ozma revival order placed with them too... Here's to hoping crying about it here will just magically make things move along again soon... 😭

13 hours ago, Actar said:

Hm... the knees on mine are becoming a little too loose for my liking. I'd really like to go in and do something to tighten them, but knowing Bandai, I'd suppose this would be too difficult/impossible a task?

I set it up in my display case and shut the closet door with it in. The excitement went away rather quickly and that seems to help with any joint problems.:ph34r:

Edited by Angesdad

It seems crying about it here has magically worked. YYK finally responded saying they are very understaffed while having a big boom in business. Shipping fees look real hefty with no surface option, but they have offered to cover half of it to compensate for all the delays in correspondence. Now to wait for them to actually charge me and reach the point of sending the box out... Let me keep on crying till we get to that point. 😭

Just for reference, anyone know if YYK normally offers slow boat shipping at all? They quoted 8k-9k yen (18k DHL doesn't count, wtf) for the various shipping methods, at the weight of 3000g. It should include the YF-21 and a master grade gunpla. Do those numbers sound right? I would think that is within the weight limit for surface shipping, but it doesn't seem like they offer that service at all.

21 minutes ago, PointBlankSniper said:

It seems crying about it here has magically worked. YYK finally responded saying they are very understaffed while having a big boom in business. Shipping fees look real hefty with no surface option, but they have offered to cover half of it to compensate for all the delays in correspondence. Now to wait for them to actually charge me and reach the point of sending the box out... Let me keep on crying till we get to that point. 😭

Just for reference, anyone know if YYK normally offers slow boat shipping at all? They quoted 8k-9k yen (18k DHL doesn't count, wtf) for the various shipping methods, at the weight of 3000g. It should include the YF-21 and a master grade gunpla. Do those numbers sound right? I would think that is within the weight limit for surface shipping, but it doesn't seem like they offer that service at all.

It's not published but when I ask for it, I get surface options and there shouldn't be a weight limit for surface since it technically can support the largest shipments possible. My VT-1 is currently at sea courtesy of YYK.

On 8/6/2024 at 3:08 AM, Duymon said:

@$$#$@?$!#?$?@

I iust realized my yf-21 is missing a chunk out of the fighter canopy 20240805_210616_HDR.jpg.14ce46955406a80bf05f6e339c64f905.jpg

It's clearly missing the other side that should also have a tab20240805_210803_HDR.jpg.b2d34053068993d24e2956f859e291db.jpg

"Give me five" bro. I had the same exact issue like yours. At least, mine still have the broken piece attached.

yf-21_01.jpg

22 hours ago, Slave IV said:

It's not published but when I ask for it, I get surface options and there shouldn't be a weight limit for surface since it technically can support the largest shipments possible. My VT-1 is currently at sea courtesy of YYK.

Thanks.

Now I'm tempted to ask for it, but the risk of extending this loop of multi month correspondence... I wonder if I can intercept my own email, since they check email in large batches at a time it seems. Maybe I'll ask anyway, if they haven't magically responded very fast this time.