Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

I'm in the same boat as Twich having ordered mine from BBTS. I've yet to see anyone post who has received theirs from them, but I'm hoping it's good news so far as straight antennas and unbroken bits. For the price we're paying, anything amiss is unacceptable.

Anyone that may have ordered from Anime Export.
Have you heard anything back other than:

Thank you very much for sending me the pictures,

We will transmit them to the manufacturer and let you know as soon as we
receive the replacement part.

I'm cool if Bandai is ignoring them, but at least let me know...
Been exactly 3 weeks.

19 hours ago, kloopit said:

I’m really not loving  that backpack attachment part.  I think a simple fix could be creating a blue hinged piece that plugs into existing backpack socket.  It could lay flat in fighter mode and then hinge out 90 degrees in battroid.  I don’t know own or know how to use a 3d printer but maybe one of you do?  I’l gladly pay for one. Hah. 

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_3001.jpeg

That's a great idea. With all the third parties making upgrade kits for Transformers, it'd be pretty cool if at least one of them took a stab at this solution.

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

That's a great idea. With all the third parties making upgrade kits for Transformers, it'd be pretty cool if at least one of them took a stab at this solution.

Interesting.  Do they make upgrade kits for Macross stuff?  

Also I hope someone does.  it’s not like the belly plate area on this Bandai toy is faithful to the line art anyways so why not just slap on a little folding hinge for the sake of a more perfect transformation

On 8/9/2024 at 10:37 PM, kloopit said:

I’m really not loving  that backpack attachment part.  I think a simple fix could be creating a blue hinged piece that plugs into existing backpack socket.  It could lay flat in fighter mode and then hinge out 90 degrees in battroid.  I don’t know own or know how to use a 3d printer but maybe one of you do?  I’l gladly pay for one. Hah. 

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_3001.jpeg

That's similar to my idea a few pages back, except to flip it out from the other end of that flap hinge block, and let it slide in under the block to double as the lock pin as well. That without replacing any outer shell parts. That's more and idea for replacing that whole lock pin block from the factory though.

Don't actually know if thats feasable as a mod, since YYK still hasn't shipped mine so I can look at it in person. At least I know they went ham and checked for the double shoulders after I requested it. But it's been radio silence for a few days again after I replied to ship it. 😭

BTW...make sure to mind your yf-21 little bits!

I had mine in battroid mode on the shelf
moved my couch to vacuum and saw a shiny blue piece on the ground...it was the little edge piece, had no idea.
image.png.8183e20087847206267bf26021d0bef8.png

On 8/10/2024 at 12:44 PM, M'Kyuun said:

I'm in the same boat as Twich having ordered mine from BBTS. I've yet to see anyone post who has received theirs from them, but I'm hoping it's good news so far as straight antennas and unbroken bits. For the price we're paying, anything amiss is unacceptable.

I just got mine yesterday from BBTS, and I'm mostly happy to say that the antenna on mine was ever so slightly bent. I could easily put a sponge around it, clip it tight, and it'll straighten out. I do like the way the legs extend during the transformation, as it makes them much sturdier, but this thing, having lots of little parts to move around, take out, etc. is quite excessive. I guess it has to do that to make it transform and look as well as it does, but it's a lot.

My USAGS order has arrived and my head laser is definitely bent. (Just in case this post is read out of context at some point, this is almost certainly not USAGS's fault given how widespread this issue is even in Japan.) Is there a single post that gives a checklist of all the other potential issues I need to check for?

20240813_133059.jpg

4 hours ago, MikeRoz said:

My USAGS order has arrived and my head laser is definitely bent. (Just in case this post is read out of context at some point, this is almost certainly not USAGS's fault given how widespread this issue is even in Japan.) Is there a single post that gives a checklist of all the other potential issues I need to check for?

Sorry your YF-21 head laser arrived bent!!

Be careful with:

* the ailerons are not glued, they can fall off the wings

* some canopies are broken/paint scratched out of the box (two reported cases that I know so far)

* there is one reported case of a YF-21 with two right shoulder joints 

That's all, being the bent head lasers the worst QC ofender.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

On 8/10/2024 at 3:44 PM, M'Kyuun said:

Nope, mine was straight as a crooked road.

9 hours ago, MikeRoz said:

20240813_133059.jpg

In addition to @Ignacio Ocamica’s list, there was also a reported case of having 2 of the same sided mini-fins below the intakes.

14 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

* there is one reported case of a YF-21 with two right shoulder joints 

There are two replies under that tweet that claim the same issue. Considering how little visibility the tweet itself got, and how easy it is to not realize it is a defect, I'd say it's at least a tiny bit more common than random one offs.

1 hour ago, Roy's Blues said:

That's actually not a bad deal.  I got a set from NNG on pre-order night for around 260.  Shipping to the west coast of the US was another 60 though.  So that's a thing.  Thanks for sharing!

19 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

* some canopies are broken/paint scratched out of the box (two reported cases that I know so far)

I saw another case posted on reddit where a chunk of the canopy that had a tab on the underside had broken off. These canopies are so fragile, they come broken out of the box.

38 minutes ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

Just got home and found out my order from Tokyo Otaku Mode for the 21s was delivered. Not sure if I'm up for the heartbreak, currently 1/1 with bent antenna... lol.

my 2 copies from Otaku Mode are coming in Friday. I'm curious if you got a bent antenna. you going to open yours up or keep it sealed?

Anyone else know an easy trick to get the fast pack part to attach to the vertical stabilizer? I don’t want to push too hard and break something!

Twich

9 hours ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

Just got home and found out my order from Tokyo Otaku Mode for the 21s was delivered. Not sure if I'm up for the heartbreak, currently 1/1 with bent antenna... lol.

8 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

my 2 copies from Otaku Mode are coming in Friday. I'm curious if you got a bent antenna. you going to open yours up or keep it sealed?

Schrödinger's antenna---it's not bent until you check it.   

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I opened mine as I was planning on keeping them. Especially since Macross Plus holds a dear spot as it brought me back into Macross. I'm glad to report that 1.95/2 from Tokyo Otaku Mode were straight, lol. Yes 1.95 because one of them had a very extremely slight curve and at the same time had some spider webbing from the injection gate/point on the bottom of it. The cut where the gate was clean but I'm guessing it must've saw some rough handling before being cut off the runner. But it's something I can very easily live with.

Spoiler

20240814_214959.jpg.24c4f2849639d275cdab9ad04de4ef4c.jpg20240814_214744.jpg.a51ce029253fe756680b527f7d3d3ecf.jpg

Both did suffer some paint imperfections. The one with the straight antenna had looked like it got splashed with liquid cement or glue on one of the yellow lines (bottom of the plane/belly plate) and the other had one of the white paint tampo lines on the bottom (inner belly plate) rubbed off and as well as a paint blemish on the right side of the canopy (can be seen in the pic with the upright antenna). Both definitely suffered from the assembly line/factory handling process.

Spoiler

20240814_214909.jpg.06fee97a4a0fc011b1e7c8330d374d36.jpg20240814_213144.jpg.83bb317c4367dfe6b7790913fb93f208.jpg20240814_213152.jpg.3a9495f4e90b741f5ac1118a9ef36042.jpg

Oddly enough the one with the ever so 0.05% curve to the antenna (white paint rubbed off) did have some rubbing indication on the exterior of the top tray cover (over the antenna) and it reflected on the inside of the product box in the same spot where it came in contact. That box was in great condition and suffered no poor handling. Whereas the one with the straight antenna's (yellow paint blemish) box was a little damaged on one side, and the same end (of the smushed box) for the plastic tray was split. 🤔

So that's like
1.05/3 for bent antennas
0/3 double shoulders
0/3 damage canopies
0/3 double bottom mini fins
2/3 paint blemishes (maybe 3/3... I can't recall checking the first one entirely for paint blemishes).

Just awaiting for one more that's arriving with a friend's AmiAmi order via surface, probably in another month or so.

EDIT: Oh and very glad to hear yours from TOM are incoming by the end of the week! Hoping your results are better than mine!

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Schrodinger's antenna---it's not bent until you check it.   

LOL! Yes I had to check it... curiosity killed the cat (?), in this case it was alive! XD

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

4 hours ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

I opened mine as I was planning on keeping them. Especially since Macross Plus holds a dear spot as it brought me back into Macross. I'm glad to report that 1.95/2 from Tokyo Otaku Mode were straight, lol. Yes 1.95 because one of them had a very extremely slight curve and at the same time had some spider webbing from the injection gate/point on the bottom of it. The cut where the gate was clean but I'm guessing it must've saw some rough handling before being cut off the runner. But it's something I can very easily live with.

Reveal hidden contents

20240814_214959.jpg.24c4f2849639d275cdab9ad04de4ef4c.jpg20240814_214744.jpg.a51ce029253fe756680b527f7d3d3ecf.jpg

Both did suffer some paint imperfections. The one with the straight antenna had looked like it got splashed with liquid cement or glue on one of the yellow lines (bottom of the plane/belly plate) and the other had one of the white paint tampo lines on the bottom (inner belly plate) rubbed off and as well as a paint blemish on the right side of the canopy (can be seen in the pic with the upright antenna). Both definitely suffered from the assembly line/factory handling process.

Reveal hidden contents

20240814_214909.jpg.06fee97a4a0fc011b1e7c8330d374d36.jpg20240814_213144.jpg.83bb317c4367dfe6b7790913fb93f208.jpg20240814_213152.jpg.3a9495f4e90b741f5ac1118a9ef36042.jpg

Oddly enough the one with the ever so 0.05% curve to the antenna (white paint rubbed off) did have some rubbing indication on the exterior of the top tray cover (over the antenna) and it reflected on the inside of the product box in the same spot where it came in contact. That box was in great condition and suffered no poor handling. Whereas the one with the straight antenna's (yellow paint blemish) box was a little damaged on one side, and the same end (of the smushed box) for the plastic tray was split. 🤔

So that's like
1.05/3 for bent antennas
0/3 double shoulders
0/3 damage canopies
0/3 double bottom mini fins
2/3 paint blemishes (maybe 3/3... I can't recall checking the first one entirely for paint blemishes).

Just awaiting for one more that's arriving with a friend's AmiAmi order via surface, probably in another month or so.

EDIT: Oh and very glad to hear yours from TOM are incoming by the end of the week! Hoping your results are better than mine!

LOL! Yes I had to check it... curiosity killed the cat (?), in this case it was alive! XD

thanks for the update. 

hopefully i have some good news

My thoughts after handling it over night…..

I am scared to try to transform it! I am truly impressed with the level of detail and engineering that went into making this transformable toy!  First off, the fast packs: mine do not stay firmly attached at all the fastening points.  The fast pack parts that attach to the vertical stabilizer/ arm shield do not go in fully and it looks “sloppy”. I am not discounting user error in this, but the directions are less than stellar in explanation and detail.  
Next, the two sets of gunpods….Bandai knew that people would use the fake ones for mounting to the toy in fighter mode, because the gunpods are so floppy when you use the “real” gunpods, that it makes them unusable on the toy in fighter. While the toy has the fast packs, they have a little hook in the front of the attachment points that keeps them together and tight and unable to be floppy.  
Overall, I’m impressed so far.

I can remember getting the first Yamato 1/72 YF-21 and thinking Wow! This is so cool! Then the revision with fast packs came out, and I thought, they did even better!  I then managed to get a Yamato 1/60 VF-22S Millia Custom. I thought the engineering was so cool, but I could not keep the legs on, and they popped off on their own. I ended up selling the VF-22S off, much to my chagrin.  I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to Jenius’ Scorched Earth Toys videos on the Bandai DX Chogokin YF-21!

Twich

Got my copy from BBTS. Dead perfect QC on mine no complaints. Put it through all 3 modes now and surprised by how sturdy it feels but yeah the tight tolerances means if I ever do transform it I’m absolutely gonna use the instructions every time 

I opened my copy from tokyo otaku mode today... bent laser! ARGHHHH!

Unrelated note, I also opened up a copy of joytoy Horus Lupercal and his middle spike was broken.  Guess fiddly bits are just fiddly no matter what property/company.

1 hour ago, dur said:

Unrelated note, I also opened up a copy of joytoy Horus Lupercal and his middle spike was broken.  Guess fiddly bits are just fiddly no matter what property/company.

I wonder what is the ratio of unbent lasers to bent lasers is at this point. 

Sorry to hear about your Horus. It seems to be about as common as bent YF-21 lasers. I see so many reports of it on the discord and some in the joytoy reddit. Getting a replacement torso should be fairly painless. Less of a hassle than trying to get parts from Bandai, at least. I was fortunate with mine. The only problem mine had was that one of the claws was unpainted. 

1 hour ago, dur said:

crap, mine are arriving tomorrow from them.

Just an update on the progress of my submission to the Bandai replacements form.

I got an email today saying the following;

Thank you for reaching out to Bandai Namco Toys & Collectibles America.

We have forwarded your inquiry to our manufacturers in Japan to see if this replacement request can be fulfilled at this time. We thank you for your understanding and appreciate your patience with this process. We hope to be able to provide an update for you soon.
Thank you,

BNTCA Customer Service

From what I’m hearing about Bandai overseas support, they are nowhere as efficient as domestic JP.

Any replacement parts can take up to 6 months to arrive, so just have to tamper expectations accordingly.