Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

I always looked at the Yammy -17 as chunky in fighter mode, mostly because of all the design compromises.

And for all the talk about design compromises and anime magic with the -21, it’s seems actually worse for the -17’s design.

50 minutes ago, Mog said:

I always looked at the Yammy -17 as chunky in fighter mode, mostly because of all the design compromises.

And for all the talk about design compromises and anime magic with the -21, it’s seems actually worse for the -17’s design.

Other than the dirt-cheap no-brainer 1/65 DX, I don't really see the desirability of owning any of the -17/-171 from Yamato and/or Bandai.

Quite a downgrade in all aspects and forms from the -19 and the -21, and even from the -11b.

The never-made Milia-17S variant would've been the only one desirable to own.

imho...

:5:

Edited by treatment

Part of the appeal of the -17 for me is that it’s derived from the stealth fighter, which looks different enough from all the other Macross fighters.

It also helps that the -17 looks like a tank of a beast in battroid mode.

The -171 has appeal because its cannon fodder variant has a nice unique teal color that no other valk has.  Such a nice change of pace from all the white or grey hero valks we often see.

Do agree with you about the Yamato and Bandai versions having issues though.

3 hours ago, treatment said:

I don't really see the desirability of owning any of the -17/-171 from Yamato and/or Bandai.

I LOVE the 171. The design of it. The look. But yeah the issues it has …… never had the nerve to even try to transform the nightmare plus version out of fighter mode. 

YYK got back to me with multiple top down photos for each blister tray and are offering to take more photos if I want. Everything already looks fine though so I already feel like I've won the lottery lol. Should I ask for shoulder inspection?

Anyone got a quck and easy on how the belly opens or an image of what to look for without going into further transformations? I'm not even sure how visible it is or which side the tab on the shoulder is supposed to be facing with the arm turned tbh. Or is this whole opening the blister to handle and mess around with articulated parts thing too much to ask for from a retailer already having done so much voluntary work for who knows how many units? Should I just get on with shipping?

Just for fun I weighted the Yammie 17, and it came to to 503g, just slightly above the DX VF-1. The weight matches its chonky looks, but at least the landing gears are sturdier. Still a bit miffed about the DX 21's thin & wobbly ones. 

5 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

Using a heat gun and self clasping tweezers on the head laser worked really well for me.
https://x.com/oshanruiz/status/1813748479149158882

Screenshot 2024-07-17 183406.png

I hope this is all it takes to solve every bent laser issue, in the absence of Bandai's support. :good: No 3D print replacements needed even. 

17 minutes ago, PvtPrivate said:

I guess they no longer do this, if at all XD

That was a fascinating share.  TY.

[In other news, I’m now fluent in Japanese and might even be a citizen of Japan thanks to that video.]

Edited by 26662
Humor

Just now, PvtPrivate said:

It seemed the packing was not a problem at all. Even my copy from HLJ came perfect even when box was noticable crushed since I shipped it along other stuff. Box was big and heavy.

My thought on that bent head laser is that at packaging stage in the factory when workers pushed the plastic trays closed they probably where doing it with much force or placing the top from an specific angle since all moat of the damaged copies have the laser bent to the same side 

2 hours ago, Froy said:

My thought on that bent head laser is that at packaging stage in the factory when workers pushed the plastic trays closed they probably where doing it with much force or placing the top from an specific angle since all moat of the damaged copies have the laser bent to the same side 

This was the same thing I said a few weeks ago. I demonstrated that when pushing the lid down to close it on one side first, the cover flexes just enough that it can touch the laser. And since the bubble over the laser is tough, using enough force can theoretically bend the laser.

On 7/17/2024 at 9:37 PM, oshanmacross said:

Using a heat gun and self clasping tweezers on the head laser worked really well for me.
https://x.com/oshanruiz/status/1813748479149158882

Screenshot 2024-07-17 183406.png

Alternatively, I would have used the heat gun (or a hair dryer if no heat gun is available) first on the bent part of the plastic to soften it up some, then applied the clamp to keep it straight and submerged in icy cold water for like a minute. From past experience, I find that is usually enough to straighten out plastic. Less items needed and a much shorter time. I'll probably be doing that if mine comes with a bent laser. 

13 hours ago, PvtPrivate said:

Well, in all fairness to them, considering it's only an amount below a third that are impacted, it's obvious there's something along the conveyor packing process that is bending the antenna unnoticed by human eyes. 

As @MKT pointed out, it's not from the bubble blister or during shipping. It's somewhere before the valk is placed into the blister and there's no supervisors in that single point. 

Albeit, hopefully now they'll place some to check all of them before the blister slips into the box. 

50 minutes ago, graphic revolt said:

Rearrange shelf to make way for the omegas.

IMG_9827.jpeg

Nice Macross Plus Valk all modes display! :good: 

Any chance you have a 'fourth one', you know, for 'just in case'? :spiteful:

21 hours ago, graphic revolt said:

Rearrange shelf to make way for the omegas.

IMG_9827.jpeg

Love this display. :good:

@Angesdad I’m still waiting reply from HLJ. Meanwhile, someone else did get replacements from them yesterday.

Bit of head scratcher why HLJ telling some there no replacements from Bandai, & at same time others do get it. :unknw:

CCA71646-1A3C-40B4-A235-DEF3238FE09D.jpeg.8aed4f3fff4dde387888b7510840eeab.jpeg

47 minutes ago, MKT said:

@Angesdad I’m still waiting reply from HLJ. Meanwhile, someone else did get replacements from them yesterday.

Bit of head scratcher why HLJ telling some there no replacements from Bandai, & at same time others do get it. :unknw:

Hi @MKT, thanks for sharing pictures of someone actually getting support from HLJ. In their recent reply mentioned they'd request the replacement from the supplier so at least they did not spoon-feed me 'falling into quality variance' bs. Well, I am being patient and hopeful.:good:

1 hour ago, MKT said:

Got a link to the source?

Hmm... I wonder why HLJ included an invoice for 100 JPY. Did the OP indicate if they paid for a replacement? Because I know in the past with HLJ (more than 10 years ago), I've been able to communicate/procure replacement parts at a price for the 1/60 Yamato VF-0S arm assembly. 

I should have left well enough alone.....
It looked fine, but after a 13 hour day yesterday (I work in IT).
I tried to get it Oshan OCD perfect, it got too hot and the tweezera/clamps marred the plastic, same pattern on both sides ^_^
Chalk it up to a happy little mistake as it kinda now looks more like a "laser emitting protrusion on top of a stealth aircraft" circa January 2040.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

27 minutes ago, oshanmacross said:

I tried to get it Oshan OCD perfect, it got too hot and the tweezera/clamps marred the plastic, same pattern on both sides ^_^
Chalk it up to a happy little mistake as it kinda now looks more like a "laser emitting protrusion on top of a stealth aircraft" circa January 2040.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

I actually really like that pattern. If I hadn't seen it before I could accept that it was a part of the design in the first place. Looks like a heat vent or something.

41 minutes ago, oshanmacross said:

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

That looks organic as the YF-21 should be.:lol:

10 minutes ago, aurance said:

I actually really like that pattern. If I hadn't seen it before I could accept that it was a part of the design in the first place. Looks like a heat vent or something.

That's what I keep telling myself ^_^
Happy Little Accidents.....
I got the meme wrong.

Web1-5c900c5b.jpeg

On 7/21/2024 at 12:21 AM, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

Got a link to the source?

Hmm... I wonder why HLJ included an invoice for 100 JPY. Did the OP indicate if they paid for a replacement? Because I know in the past with HLJ (more than 10 years ago), I've been able to communicate/procure replacement parts at a price for the 1/60 Yamato VF-0S arm assembly. 

No indication if OP paid or not.

(edit: wrong link posted earlier)

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/xQkjANvRpdtbPpBk/?mibextid=K35XfP

Edited by MKT
Inaccurate link

On 7/20/2024 at 4:44 PM, shazam said:

seeing videos like this remind me of a saying...comparisons are the thieves of joy....

whilst i can understand why there are comparisons, don't forget to enjoy what's in the now ..bent laser or not...

and no issues on the videos, just to be clear...keep on posting..

Edited by seti88

I think lots of us saw lots of outcomes in the new DX YF 21 the very first day that was shown, me for example said back in the day the nosecone is too small and not large enough , some said is just the picture angle that is making the design not look accurate, I even think I point out the design specially in jet mode resemblance the Yamato YF 21 1/72 scale, I wonder why Bandai didn't see all this design flaws and the huge separate backpack, damn!!, I think Bandai should it put the DX YF 21 back to the drawing boards, Bandai they definitely can do a much better job and the DX YF 19 proves it, also if Yamato can do a much better job more than a decade ago why Bandai can't with todays new design tech?, DX YF-21 Renewal in the future anyone?  

13 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

I think lots of us saw lots of outcomes in the new DX YF 21 the very first day that was shown, me for example said back in the day the nosecone is too small and not large enough , some said is just the picture angle that is making the design not look accurate, I even think I point out the design specially in jet mode resemblance the Yamato YF 21 1/72 scale, I wonder why Bandai didn't see all this design flaws and the huge separate backpack, damn!!, I think Bandai should it put the DX YF 21 back to the drawing boards, Bandai they definitely can do a much better job and the DX YF 19 proves it, also if Yamato can do a much better job more than a decade ago why Bandai can't with todays new design tech?, DX YF-21 Renewal in the future anyone?  

Me thinks bandai has been listening to rubin-ji...