Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

24 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

My copy from AmiAmi showed up today....no bent antenna issue....

large.20240705_170737.jpg.1d95e36510f8a8

large.20240705_170931.jpg.8bdec78fe8252e

...and I have to say a big thanks to AmiAmi's shipping Dept...they truly went out of their way to ensure my item (and I assume those of many of their YF-21 customers) arrived safely and with the best shot at avoiding damage to said antenna...guessing they must be aware of the problem and are thinking it may be caused during shipping....unless the entire top of my box would have been crushed, there is no way nothing sitting on top of it would have caused any pressure to be applied to the top of the toy's packaging....

Custom packaging and shrink wrapping....:drinks:

large.20240705_170154.jpg.358ab0ab050292

large.20240705_170311.jpg.f241433e5ed564

large.20240705_170436.jpg.09c7a848b062d2

large.20240705_170418.jpg.01cfe0f8556b53

Yup, just got mine. At first when  I looked in I thought I was doomed... only until I slid out the "tray" did I realize just how good the shipping was done. Super simple and super effective.

Kudos to AmiAmi. They were worth the extra investment.

20240705_184837.jpg

35 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

Curiosity killed the cat, has anyone here preordered from HLJ received undamaged straight antenna? Just looking to see if there’s a pattern forming here.

You think Scott Hards is using YF-21 boxes as temporary ottomans in his office? 

2 hours ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

Yup, just got mine. At first when  I looked in I thought I was doomed... only until I slid out the "tray" did I realize just how good the shipping was done. Super simple and super effective.

Kudos to AmiAmi. They were worth the extra investment.

20240705_184837.jpg

AmiAmi packed mine exactly the same way.  It was great.  The top of the YF-21 box had so much free space above it that there was no risk of pressure pushing down on the antenna at all.  There was no need for even bubble packing material that could have pushed down on the inner box to risk the antenna.

I am very happy with AmiAmi's packing work.

Posted (edited)

meanwhile, back at the New Edwards desert base on my desk...

yf21-rescued-by-vf11b.jpg.9a3c44f035a8d2ec89baf9fcf48e5a06.jpg

Have to use the Arcadia Launch-Arm stand since the DX YF21 is significantly heavy for the Yammie VF-11b to support on its own.

The DX YF21's skirt is also quite short... 

reference snap:

snap-00019.png.a0535f71a83962f005018c45f56f0e96.png

Edited by treatment

22 hours ago, WhatBoutMyStar said:

For those who already have the 21 in hand, does the gray arm swingbar hinge that's attached to the backpack shelf sit directly on top of the wings. In other words, is it directly making contact with the wing? MIne appear to be even though I believe I've transformed everything correctly. From looking at some of the recent videos as well as photos, it looks like this is just the way it is. However, the manual in the Battroid Configuration Complete picture shows some space between that gray hinge and the wing, so I'm a bit puzzled.

This is particularly concerning because the shoulders are very tight. As a result, manipulating the arm at times will cause that entire gray hinge to move and pop itself out of the tiny tab that is supposed to secure it. That movement of that entire gray arm swingbar hinge will also cause it to directly rub right along the edge of the wing and cause wear.

HInge2.jpg.1d1ebcd2ddc36acec80398c29026baf2.jpg

Hinge1.jpg.b4102668b7dfbadfeb67f1e7aa1d1e9a.jpg

There's actually an additional joint on the diecast plate that allows the shoulders to tilt up and down at the intake in a shrugging kind of motion. You can also pull out the wings slightly on the double joints so that they don't fold in as far.

IMG_20240706_160100.jpg.115a32388240a1094565c5c11421a4b8.jpg

42 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

Got my copy, havent transform it yet, thank gawd i have a spare fold module. They do look good together, the yf-19 n yf-21

IMG_4479.jpeg

Is that nylon holding up the YF-29? I've done this for Legos but too scared the nylon will eventually damage the plastic due to the weight of the valk. Cool display though. 

The figure is so much better in battroid. It looks fantastic actually. They almost perfectly nailed. The bigger issue for me is the backpack.

However, I'm not using the extra back piece. The back is holding it's position pretty well. It could be annoying when you are trying to pose it. But given everything is very tight it's not yet an issue for me. And I'm not trying a complicated pose. I guess some poses will be impossible without that extra piece and depending of the tolerances of the articulations for some people it won't be possible to avoid its use at all. That's a big design flaw in this mode. It feels a solution was possible with a little more time in development. 5 more years or so.

I wish the pilot sit move automatically to its battroid position, that way it's not far from perfect transformation given I'm not using the other 2 extra pieces.

The super parts also look better in this mode. Again, in flight mode the thing looks like a pinguin. It just doesn't look good.

One final complain is the lack of transparent connectors for the display stand. And the one for flight mode sucks in general. For me those are critical. I find it hard to believe they were improving them with the Delta models and they came back to the ugly Frontier ones.

Although, I've complained a lot in this post. I'm really happy with how it looks in general. Battroid mode looks great. And it does look much better in person than in the photos... for some reason.

pro-V7v7LD9q.jpeg.61c3795ce9de5fae60875c8c35e80f46.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Received mine from a seller on Amazon Japan and I echo a lot of other statements. Beautiful piece where in hand and it’s easier to overlook the flaws in the design. I’m very happy since I let go of my yammie so long long ago. Great companion piece obviously with the Bandai yf-19. And yes I’m aware my arm is a bit mistransformered. Honestly didn’t notice it until after I took the photo. 

image.jpg

Edited by kanedaestes

35 minutes ago, kanedaestes said:

Received mine from a seller on Amazon Japan and I echo a lot of other statements. Beautiful piece where in hand and it’s easier to overlook the flaws in the design. I’m very happy since I let go of my yammie so long long ago. Great companion piece obviously with the Bandai yf-19. And yes I’m aware my arm is a bit mistransformered. Honestly didn’t notice it until after I took the photo. 

image.jpg

The legs are also miss-transformed

Yes they are. I was messing with it last night at the same time I was getting heavy family drama so I wasn’t able to give this the attention it deserves. So yes it is overall mistransformed but I’m fixing it all now 

13 hours ago, Lolicon said:

You think Scott Hards is using YF-21 boxes as temporary ottomans in his office? 

Hey @Lolicon, hope you get yours intact. I am really not sure whether it is a transit damage or some kind of mishab down at the assembly/packaging line. The clamshell is solid and pushing it down I doubt will cause the damage we're witnessing. Either way a secure packaging such as AmiAmi's for example with ample space on top will surely help you leave out one of the possible causes.:unknw:

37 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

Hey @Lolicon, hope you get yours intact. I am really not sure whether it is a transit damage or some kind of mishab down at the assembly/packaging line. The clamshell is solid and pushing it down I doubt will cause the damage we're witnessing. Either way a secure packaging such as AmiAmi's for example with ample space on top will surely help you leave out one of the possible causes.:unknw:

Seconding packaging.  Nin Nin could not have packaged mine any better.  There was an overabundance of packing material on the front of the toy’s box relative to the back.  I’m no conspiracy theorist, but it’s almost like they knew something.

1 hour ago, 26662 said:

Seconding packaging.  Nin Nin could not have packaged mine any better.  There was an overabundance of packing material on the front of the toy’s box relative to the back.  I’m no conspiracy theorist, but it’s almost like they knew something.

Interesting.. my recently received item (not YF-21) from Nin-nin was packed in an entirely different way.

It’s likely by now the stores already know about this issue & adjusting their packaging to be cautious.

My copy is on the way from HLJ, not sure if they are doing anything for extra protection. Perhaps should have waited another week before having it shipped.

3 hours ago, Angesdad said:

My first copy arrived intact thankfully. I have a second one coming that I bought just in case, but I don't really need it. I'll either sell it or maybe it'll be my perma-battroid YF-21 toy.

16 hours ago, Shawn said:

image.png.371c4786d9fdb76434ff62f448fa1c7b.png

image.png.0347ede078b3e9d4ca6200f8b83d9cf4.png

How did you pull the part out? Do you just gradually apply force while pulling upwards until it comes off? I'm worried I might add extra stress marks if I don't pull it out properly.

Anyone figure out a way to straighten it yet? Maybe an iron on it's lowest setting and putting a thick piece of fabric above it? Blow dry it for a bit and then place a book on top of it to flatten and then run under cold water?

55 minutes ago, jenius said:

Anyone figure out a way to straighten it yet? Maybe an iron on it's lowest setting and putting a thick piece of fabric above it? Blow dry it for a bit and then place a book on top of it to flatten and then run under cold water?

If I am not mistaken, you will want the plastic to go to between 200 - 225 degrees in order to be soft enough to bend.

Maybe use a hot glue gun that gives you fine control over setting its temperature, applying some onto the bent location to heat it up, bend the item back straight, and clean off the applied hot glue?  I have heard of using this method with plastic rods, but for the YF-21's head laser.... 

22 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

The best way to straighten the head laser is to send the broken thing back and get a replacement.

I don't know what the solution will be through retailers. Hopefully a picture will suffice and then they can mail a replacement part. Sending the whole toy back seems like a much sillier process than fixing the kink when it's a relatively minor case. I'm hoping I can get a replacement through my retailer and also fix the one I have so I can enjoy it while I wait for resolution. 

For those who ordered through BBTS:

Hello Ken!

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your orders.

I would be happy to help and explain. We are not able to do any quality control inspections of the items included within the manufacturer packaging of an item. The manufacturer has their own process of QC in their facilities that we have to abide by as a retailer. However, should you receive a damaged item, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email and would be happy to see how we might be able to assist you with that issue. Each case is different and there is not a set way of assisting customers, but we will be sure to bring your case to our team to find the best resolution should the need arise.

Let me know if you have any questions, otherwise I hope you have a wonderful week!

On 7/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, Usagi said:

I'm living in Japan and almost 8 years ordering stuff from many shops, and you know usually everything arrives at the day of release. But this time (and not only for me) most of nonresellers shops delayed delivery for about one week. So i think Bandai rushed things with this particular toy. And there many toys with small deffects. Well I just received mine few days ago and fortunately everything was ok, but still I was unable to turn legs in right position because of incredible stiffness.

By the way, I made a video. It is not as good in terms or explanation (since English language is only in subtitles), but at least it is good to see how this particular toy will looks like in different poses.

DX Chogokin YF-21 Guld Goa Bowman use (Macross Plus) Review (english subs only)

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 12.01.56.jpeg

Sorry for asking but I noticed that some people make YouTube videos posted as embedded media instead of URL. So can anyone tell me how to do video here?

I tried to use many options, but was unable to do it with my post. And as result just posted URL instead.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, m0n5t3r said:

Is that nylon holding up the YF-29? I've done this for Legos but too scared the nylon will eventually damage the plastic due to the weight of the valk. Cool display though. 

I am using fishing line to hold up the yf 29, its been up for a few years already, i place the line into the grooves on the plane so as to not damage the plane.

Edited by Guyffon

1 hour ago, Usagi said:

Sorry for asking but I noticed that some people make YouTube videos posted as embedded media instead of URL. So can anyone tell me how to do video here?

I tried to use many options, but was unable to do it with my post. And as result just posted URL instead.

err., you just paste the youtube-link/url and the forum will auto-embed it unless you select the display-as-link option as shown below:

image.png.66e0ba6b821b6db1f4e62608fe3a946e.png

---

meanwhile,

https://x.com/Ezwea1/status/1809747342435971161

web-translated:

image.png.957a0ddd446d2991737c581ffd6c25ca.png

click on this twitter-link for full-scale of his pics...