Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Usagi said:

I'm living in Japan and almost 8 years ordering stuff from many shops, and you know usually everything arrives at the day of release. But this time (and not only for me) most of nonresellers shops delayed delivery for about one week. So i think Bandai rushed things with this particular toy. And there many toys with small deffects. Well I just received mine few days ago and fortunately everything was ok, but still I was unable to turn legs in right position because of incredible stiffness.

By the way, I made a video. It is not as good in terms or explanation (since English language is only in subtitles), but at least it is good to see how this particular toy will looks like in different poses.

DX Chogokin YF-21 Guld Goa Bowman use (Macross Plus) Review (english subs only)

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 12.01.56.jpeg

Thanks for the review! And welcome to MacrossWorld.

Edited by aurance

41 minutes ago, Usagi said:

well there are improvements and drawbacks in backpack. Bandai version seems more bulky, but have big gap between body and wings. Yamato is simplier during transformation, but bigger than necessary. At least i think so.

The gap is certainly a drawback, but in terms of the  (+) column, are we talking better durability in the pieces that allow changes between modes? Is there more density in the legs? How is the DX stable in Battroid vs Yamato?

3 minutes ago, wsna said:

The gap is certainly a drawback, but in terms of the  (+) column, are we talking better durability in the pieces that allow changes between modes? Is there more density in the legs? How is the DX stable in Battroid vs Yamato?

It is stable I actually stated in my video. but drawback is that center of mass is not in the legs, so it is hard to make action poses without display stand. But comparing to yamato it is more stable now... though there are so many small and unglued parts that I'm worried about durability in the future.

Seems like wotafa managed to put the transformable gunpods onto the fast pack, although it didn't look like the landing gears where touching their shadows.

I guess if you are willing to use the guns as skis, chuck out the lock pin, and count the brace as part of the stand, the whole thing is perfect transformation for the main 3 modes, of course ignoring the magic cockpit shield. I think this copium stuff is starting to work.

13 minutes ago, PointBlankSniper said:

Seems like wotafa managed to put the transformable gunpods onto the fast pack, although it didn't look like the landing gears where touching their shadows.

I guess if you are willing to use the guns as skis, chuck out the lock pin, and count the brace as part of the stand, the whole thing is perfect transformation for the main 3 modes, of course ignoring the magic cockpit shield. I think this copium stuff is starting to work.

The transforming gunpods can fit under the plane without the FAST packs, but the clearance when the landing gear is deployed is virtually zero. When the FAST packs are equipped, both the transforming and non-transforming gunpods can be equipped, but only the dummy one will be able to fit under the plane with the landing gear deployed.

2 hours ago, Usagi said:

I'm living in Japan and almost 8 years ordering stuff from many shops, and you know usually everything arrives at the day of release. But this time (and not only for me) most of nonresellers shops delayed delivery for about one week. So i think Bandai rushed things with this particular toy. And there many toys with small deffects. Well I just received mine few days ago and fortunately everything was ok, but still I was unable to turn legs in right position because of incredible stiffness.

By the way, I made a video. It is not as good in terms or explanation (since English language is only in subtitles), but at least it is good to see how this particular toy will looks like in different poses.

Wow, this is some great footage.  Lots of excellent angles and information in this video.  Thanks for making this.

52 minutes ago, Actar said:

The transforming gunpods can fit under the plane without the FAST packs, but the clearance when the landing gear is deployed is virtually zero. When the FAST packs are equipped, both the transforming and non-transforming gunpods can be equipped, but only the dummy one will be able to fit under the plane with the landing gear deployed.

I was unable to attach nontransformable gunpods to plane directly it though...
But to be true i did not check transformable ones

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Shawn said:

nice review and excellent use of the turntable, thanks for posting! :)

image.png.8d8b699ee50d3883cca12fc4583cf586.png

Thank you... I tried to show some of YF-21 gimmicks... to bad I do not have Yamato version >_<
And I really like this flat bottom of fighter... 
And as per my opinion legs are far better fit inside that in Yamato version.

Edited by Usagi

36 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Wow, this is some great footage.  Lots of excellent angles and information in this video.  Thanks for making this.

thanks ^_^

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Usagi said:

You one-upped @graphic revolt

Pants are on backwards in both GERWALK and Battroid modes :lol:

I'll add this for extra giggles ;)... but good, honest (and sometimes funny) review nonetheless:

Screenshot_20240705_140050_SamsungInternet.jpg.3c84e5f8a116a95cf43a57338b89dbf6.jpg

Edited by m0n5t3r

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, m0n5t3r said:

You one-upped @graphic revolt

Pants are on backwards in both GERWALK and Battroid modes :lol:

I'll add this for extra giggles ;)... but good review nonetheless:

Screenshot_20240705_140050_SamsungInternet.jpg.3c84e5f8a116a95cf43a57338b89dbf6.jpg

Thank for watching ^_^
As for pants stuff on mech...I actually stated about not turned legs from from the start ^_^ 
As you see in my post about video...
actually feet and hips was sooo stiff i thought i may break it.
and left it for time being during filming... but forgot about it later >_<

4 hours ago, Usagi said:

Edited by Usagi

For those who already have the 21 in hand, does the gray arm swingbar hinge that's attached to the backpack shelf sit directly on top of the wings. In other words, is it directly making contact with the wing? MIne appear to be even though I believe I've transformed everything correctly. From looking at some of the recent videos as well as photos, it looks like this is just the way it is. However, the manual in the Battroid Configuration Complete picture shows some space between that gray hinge and the wing, so I'm a bit puzzled.

This is particularly concerning because the shoulders are very tight. As a result, manipulating the arm at times will cause that entire gray hinge to move and pop itself out of the tiny tab that is supposed to secure it. That movement of that entire gray arm swingbar hinge will also cause it to directly rub right along the edge of the wing and cause wear.

HInge2.jpg.1d1ebcd2ddc36acec80398c29026baf2.jpg

Hinge1.jpg.b4102668b7dfbadfeb67f1e7aa1d1e9a.jpg

So I finally had the chance to transform the YF-21 to Gerwalk and Battroid. And I gotta say, it looks waaaayyy better in person. Feels solid and looks like a beefy bruiser despite the slim biceps. 

The backpack gap doesn't even look bad, though I find it funny that the attachment part actually makes the gap wider than without it. In my opinion, they should've made the attachment part even bigger so it fills in the entire gap between the backpack and torso, so that it looks like one solid torso rather than having a gap in the middle.

All in all, I really do like the look of the battroid. I find it superior to the Yamato aesthetically. I'm not as critical with line art accuracy as long as the end result looks nice. Same way as why I usually prefer the modernized looks for classic super robots over their original designs, as long as it's not too far of a difference.

26 minutes ago, CHAVAKAISER said:

Someone noticed that the legs are backwards (they didn't rotate them as the manual indicates) maybe that's why they couldn't maintain the pose on gerwalk and batroid 😅

I forgot to rotate it and no problem with maintaining the pose... actually joints range are so great it does not matter if legs rotated or not

20 minutes ago, WhatBoutMyStar said:

For those who already have the 21 in hand, does the gray arm swingbar hinge that's attached to the backpack shelf sit directly on top of the wings. In other words, is it directly making contact with the wing? MIne appear to be even though I believe I've transformed everything correctly. From looking at some of the recent videos as well as photos, it looks like this is just the way it is. However, the manual in the Battroid Configuration Complete picture shows some space between that gray hinge and the wing, so I'm a bit puzzled.

This is particularly concerning because the shoulders are very tight. As a result, manipulating the arm at times will cause that entire gray hinge to move and pop itself out of the tiny tab that is supposed to secure it. That movement of that entire gray arm swingbar hinge will also cause it to directly rub right along the edge of the wing and cause wear.

Well, it seems there should be some gap, but not so big, so I think that your case seems normal.
there close up in my video, and you can see the same condition there.

DX Chogokin YF-21 Guld Goa Bowman use (Macross Plus) time 4:59

24 minutes ago, WhatBoutMyStar said:

Well if it makes you feel better, mine is transformed in the same way as yours. But the shoulders aren't too stiff on mine. I just followed wotafa's video to transform it.

Mine has arrive with no issue in the antenna. I need to check the rest but I'm so happy to see it was a good one.

I'm sorry for the ones that have it. I know it's painful for a figure that expensive.

I like (don't love) Bandai efforts and all that painting and tampo look incredible. Yes, they took some liberties with the line art and it looks a little weird but I like they took those chances. They'd nailed the YF-19 restyling and this was a decent effort.

Side by side we can appreciate the efforts of Yamato. Yes, we can see the legs and some part of the arms that we shouldn't. The legs sucks basically in every mode. The lack of tampo is also very painful for me and although they look great the rear landing gears are annoying. However, for the most part the fighter mode looks still very nice and it's a decent battroid effort. I tent to discard the inferior versions in favor of the new ones but this time the VF-22 deserves its place.pro-PP54vOSx.jpeg.452e4771260060884f90b8ae3bb2a1ef.jpeg

About place, I think I have a first world problem given I don't have more space in the main display unit. I have a couple of Valkyries in another shelf and today a VF-25F revival will arrive (2 valks in one day, that wasn't the case even when I was living in Japan). Anyways, I will find the way. The VF-22 will return to its old place in the other shelf and the YF-21 will be most likely together with the VF-19 Advance.pro-f360MfdN.jpeg.915720a6b37adf9d4d31e829df662874.jpeg

By the way, the YF-21 is very heavy!!

22 hours ago, lechuck said:

2 hours ago, JIS said:

Pretty surprised the DX YF-21 has so much heft. 620g and that is almost double the DX YF-19's 335g! Even the DX VF-1 'only' weighs in at 490g.

2 hours ago, JIS said:

I like (don't love) Bandai efforts and all that painting and tampo look incredible. Yes, they took some liberties with the line art and it looks a little weird but I like they took those chances. They'd nailed the YF-19 restyling and this was a decent effort.

Side by side we can appreciate the efforts of Yamato. Yes, we can see the legs and some part of the arms that we shouldn't. The legs sucks basically in every mode. The lack of tampo is also very painful for me and although they look great the rear landing gears are annoying. However, for the most part the fighter mode looks still very nice and it's a decent battroid effort. I tent to discard the inferior versions in favor of the new ones but this time the VF-22 deserves its place.pro-PP54vOSx.jpeg.452e4771260060884f90b8ae3bb2a1ef.jpeg

About place, I think I have a first world problem given I don't have more space in the main display unit. I have a couple of Valkyries in another shelf and today a VF-25F revival will arrive (2 valks in one day, that wasn't the case even when I was living in Japan). Anyways, I will find the way. The VF-22 will return to its old place in the other shelf and the YF-21 will be most likely together with the VF-19 Advance.pro-f360MfdN.jpeg.915720a6b37adf9d4d31e829df662874.jpeg

My VF-19 Advanced and this Bandai 21 will be displayed together, both with fast packs. Also, I really like this display, nice and clean. I still need to get Keith's fast packs/drakens.

My YF-21 finally freaking arrived from Nin nin game. No busted head laser! Thank goodness.

I guess I didn't need to buy a second copy after all (I only ever wanted one unit)... which would have been useful to know much earlier if they didn't take so goddamn long to ship out.

1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

My YF-21 finally freaking arrived from Nin nin game. No busted head laser! Thank goodness.

I guess I didn't need to buy a second copy after all (I only ever wanted one unit)... which would have been useful to know much earlier if they didn't take so goddamn long to ship out.

Got mine from Nin Nin just now as well.  Happy to report no issue with the head laser.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 11.31.32.png

Posted (edited)

My YF-21 just arrived from AmiAmi via DHL... and the antenna is good!  Thank god!

Now I can cancel my backup pre-order from Amazon.

I hope the rest of you receive good antennas as well.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

5 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Same here, mine just arrived (Via AmiAmi) and 3 days earlier than DHL estimated. It's a big relief that my one and only didn't have any damage. B))

Got one from HG, the antenna is straight. My second from HLJ is properly bent with stress marks ready to snap off if I blow on it.😡

IMG_7294.jpeg.a4a8b5ff2c008b5509b865aea651a024.jpeg
IMG_7291.jpeg.de2b832bc7db07cbf241697d836ad3c3.jpeg

contacting HLJ CS for a timely solution and no, I am not sending this back to f Bandai.

Posted (edited)

Dang. Just got notified that mine has customs tax. It will be till Monday night to finally get it since postal offices no longer collect those taxes. If it didn't have any tax I could have picked it up tomorrow morning 😭

Edited by Froy

My copy from AmiAmi showed up today....no bent antenna issue....

large.20240705_170737.jpg.1d95e36510f8a8

large.20240705_170931.jpg.8bdec78fe8252e

...and I have to say a big thanks to AmiAmi's shipping Dept...they truly went out of their way to ensure my item (and I assume those of many of their YF-21 customers) arrived safely and with the best shot at avoiding damage to said antenna...guessing they must be aware of the problem and are thinking it may be caused during shipping....unless the entire top of my box would have been crushed, there is no way nothing sitting on top of it would have caused any pressure to be applied to the top of the toy's packaging....

Custom packaging and shrink wrapping....:drinks:

large.20240705_170154.jpg.358ab0ab050292

large.20240705_170311.jpg.f241433e5ed564

large.20240705_170436.jpg.09c7a848b062d2

large.20240705_170418.jpg.01cfe0f8556b53

9 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

My copy from AmiAmi showed up today....no bent antenna issue....

large.20240705_170737.jpg.1d95e36510f8a8

large.20240705_170931.jpg.8bdec78fe8252e

...and I have to say a big thanks to AmiAmi's shipping Dept...they truly went out of their way to ensure my item (and I assume those of many of their YF-21 customers) arrived safely and with the best shot at avoiding damage to said antenna...guessing they must be aware of the problem and are thinking it may be caused during shipping....unless the entire top of my box would have been crushed, there is no way nothing sitting on top of it would have caused any pressure to be applied to the top of the toy's packaging....

Custom packaging and shrink wrapping....:drinks:

large.20240705_170154.jpg.358ab0ab050292

large.20240705_170311.jpg.f241433e5ed564

large.20240705_170436.jpg.09c7a848b062d2

large.20240705_170418.jpg.01cfe0f8556b53

That is such a nice packaging from AmiAmi and I would’ve appreciated that. My first copy from Hobby Genki was nowhere near that nice put in a box with zero slack and definitely absorbed pressure from all sides but, the antenna was straight.🧐

IMG_7289.jpeg.2d6552475f639e265ddfa2361112d28a.jpeg