Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

24 minutes ago, enphily said:

idk why you do this when we have this

Because we have a 15+ year old example of what a properly proportioned YF-21 fighter mode AND a battroid mode with a nicely proportioned backpack are supposed to look like.

15 hours ago, Hayama Kaito said:

well

YF-21 comparison3.jpg

One of the things I love about this place. Nothing is spared!!! Great comparison... but epic fail by Bandai... Plane mode needs to remain beautiful!!! 

Pengroid convinces me that Yamato spoiled us with a svelte, graceful looking fighter. Bandai will have to engineer the sh1t out of their version - we'll see soon enough.

7 hours ago, m0n5t3r said:

Your comparison reminded me of this from jenius' site...

Yamato-172-YF-21-2.jpg.7878db9d6876857d7af7860683937370.jpg

*picture borrowed from www.anymoon.com

[Using your image only for convenience.]

I don't like comparisons that scale based on overall length (by default?).  We can select a number of different points on which to align/scale images, and the point(s) of alignment can have a huge impact on the result.  For example, and this is just for illustrative purposes, if the distance between the exhaust rudders and the air intakes is exactly the same across the two images, you get a very different take on how the two fighters stack up against one another when you standardize each image based upon said distance.

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 23.38.24.png

Edited by 26662
Replaced PDF image with JPG

5 hours ago, Froy said:

HJ_24_02_198_12copy.jpg.6e664e12008a83f6f717a5e341ec6cdf.jpg

This is the best side by side comparison shot I've seen so far. I know I have the unpopular opinion, but I much prefer the look of the Bandai one because the shade of blue looks nicer to me (I don't know if it's less screen accurate or not) and the tampo details really make it look more visually interesting and not as plain as the Yamato. 

I wonder if it's possible to do a similar shot but with their battroid modes?

6 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I wonder if it's possible to do a similar shot but with their battroid modes?

It’s kind of an old post by @Reïvaj back in 2019. Maybe it can help visualize the difference. 

I don't know if they reengineered the backpack to sit slightly higher to follow the line art, but I find it much cleaner and tighter on the original prototype. They made everything sit flush, but changed their mind later on.

IMG_20240618_000854.jpg.6a69436d6c35a6c041fefbfb187a5fba.jpgIMG_20240618_000908.jpg.4bfcd15c002ace509f471965d220301b.jpg

15 minutes ago, Actar said:

I don't know if they reengineered the backpack to sit slightly higher to follow the line art, but I find it much cleaner and tighter on the original prototype. They made everything sit flush, but changed their mind later on.

err, they seemed to have propped-up/braced-up[ the new pr pic to make it look not sagging anymore like the original:

image.png.59d4b59cec166f7edfcc95b53e0d6805.png

:unknw:

8 hours ago, wsna said:

Question.

See the pic please.image.png.e51414f8df1516b8a9eba7060d2f7c4c.png

Ah, yes. That is one of the 2 things that bugged me of the Yamato version. Those tiny panels that don't lock in place and the rear landing gear the doesn't lock into place too.

1 hour ago, treatment said:

err, they seemed to have propped-up/braced-up[ the new pr pic to make it look not sagging anymore like the original:

My point is that they initially seemed to engineer the backpack to fit snugly against the back. All the contours line up nicely in the original prototype. While it is propped up in the final version, more akin to the line art, it makes the backpack protrude far more obtrusively, possibly creating the gap that people have been complaining about.

2 hours ago, treatment said:

Hopefully the backpack is on sliders and can be pushed in flush with the 'shelf', as folks are calling it. If such is the case, then it'll look more like the prototype, which looked much better with the backpack snugged against the shelf. Fingers crossed the final version is just mistransformed.

48 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

It can be propped up/down:

IMG_4020.jpeg

So, essentially the tradeoff is a greater gap in the backpack to have the backpack sitting higher, or have the backpack sit flush but lower. I think I'll display mine flush. Man I hope those hips, knees and ankles are all on strong ratchets or tight friction joints (but not so tight as to where you'll stress the plastic while posing the damned thing). Anyway, glad there's the option, but it seems weird that it wouldn't be designed to sit high sans gap. Ah well, Bandai.

Still need to see side profile pics in battroid mode for both backpack orientations.

For all the pics shown over the years, I don’t recall seeing many (if any) of the battroid standing on its own two feet.

5 hours ago, Froy said:

Ah, yes. That is one of the 2 things that bugged me of the Yamato version. Those tiny panels that don't lock in place and the rear landing gear the doesn't lock into place too.

That panel is troublesome. The main landing gear always bugged me. Some brass rod for struts works well but it is not an elegant solution. 

Comparing the proto with the production, not sure if it's the lighting but I prefer the lighter blue of the prototype, which is odd b/c I generally prefer darker colors. I think the lighter blue just makes the details and the tampos stand out better.

1 minute ago, sh9000 said:

Preorders not cancelled.

Nor is mine. I've waited a long time for this; thus far, there's nothing I'm seeing that's so egregious as to put me off. It looks quite lovely overall.

17 minutes ago, Hayama Kaito said:

would be better if this place is used for battery packs, give it light and sound effects

No thanks- not a big fan of electronics in my toys. The features are usually unappealing to me, they take up extra space, add extra weight, and there's always the risk of battery leakage/damage. I don't want that liability in a toy north of $300. TBH, I don't want it in a $25 toy.

5 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

It can be propped up/down:

IMG_4020.jpeg

Will have to get it in hand to be sure, but the redesigned backpack looks to be raised up with the addition of a new hinge/frame/bracket that still adds a significant gap between the "shelf" and backpack, even in the lowered configuration.

It's cool that Bandai added the option, but I think I personally would have gone with the slightly more inaccurate but cleaner looking prototype backpack. Of course, a raised, completly collapsed backpack would have been the ideal, and it still remains to be seen why Bandai needed that "shelf" to begin with.

Shifting the backpack upwards allow the hip skirts to angle back more, and now that I think of it, the large shelf between the shoulders is not so much only for the upper arm range of movement but also to help with the hip skirts management, especially once the super parts are installed on them skirts. 

This valk is an interesting case study on the compromises that have to be considered on so many aspects.